Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Random observation about this forum

Default OT: Random observation about this forum

Quality posts seem to have decreased greatly from 1 to 2 yrs ago. I see lots of not particularly well written or well thought out arguments. The veterans don't seem to care anymore and the nubs are mostly fanboys/fangirls that are better suited for discussions of their favorite TVB adaptations. What happened to the premier english Wuxia forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wudi View Post
    Quality posts seem to have decreased greatly from 1 to 2 yrs ago. I see lots of not particularly well written or well thought out arguments. The veterans don't seem to care anymore and the nubs are mostly fanboys/fangirls that are better suited for discussions of their favorite TVB adaptations. What happened to the premier english Wuxia forum?
    Its the 'Deterioration Theory' of small forums.

After several years, the veterans have developed a heap of 'insider' jokes which new 'uns don't get, and any new nubs arriving inadvertently ask questions that have been asked for the 600th time so no one answers.

Happens to many forums.

Yes... noobs like me have entered the forums.

On a serious note, CC basically answers your question. Sooner or later, you will see the current noobs becoming veterans and then it would be their turn to leave. This is somewhat like a cycle.

Maybe you could be one of the professionals who enlighten noobs and make them not so nooby.

One of the main factors that kept this forum going was Ken Cheng's daily new thread. Noticed that whenever he stops making a new thread not as many members participate and the forum pratically halts or comes to a slow crawl.

I'm not pouring cold water on anybody. Just stating an observation.

Actually, I feel recently (within the past month) we've been having productive discussions compared to at the end of last year when there were decreased participation. The quality of discussion may not stack up to what it was 4 years ago (when more experts were available, and not many topics had been fleshed out yet), but I still think it's going strong.
    Last edited by PJ; 03-04-08 at 09:11 AM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

How about posting rate ? Number of participants ?
    Increased , Decreased ?
    Last edited by odbayarb2000; 03-04-08 at 11:11 AM.
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”

Quote Originally Posted by odbayarb2000 View Post
    How about posting rate ? Number of participants ?
    Increased , Decreased ?
    Posting rate is greatly decreased from 18 months ago when I first joined the forum. I'll like to participate more often but I've been really busy with school. I still try to read the forum at least once per week though.
    Last edited by Wu Wudi; 03-04-08 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wudi View Post
    the nubs are mostly fanboys/fangirls that are better suited for discussions of their favorite TVB adaptations.
    Ouch! I'd like to think us newbies aren't that bad...

Actually, I've been lurking on the forum for a few years by now (just decided to start posting recently) and I'm with PJ here--there have been lots of interesting and endearingly off-beat discussions of late.

But yes, there have *also* been some less deep discussions here, e.g. some adaptation centered discussions (that aren't on the nuanced level of Ken's discussions). I guess these two effects cancel out and maintains the average?
    ZOMG I'm back! Did ya miss me? (yeah, probably didn't...)

I heard there was a secret chord
    That David played, and it pleased the Lord.

i think its been more active the last couple months as to compare to a year ago.
    mainly because of the gillian/edison scandle. But sometimes activeness come from what topics you are most interest in. If you are interest in Jin yong and other wuzia novels u are out of luck because most of the stuff been said and done not much to talk about. the topic of YG VS GJ topic had been argued for over 5 years already and still no outcome, but the topic died due to ppl just dont care anymore.
    Am i Crazy!?!?!?!
    [8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888]

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Actually, I feel recently (within the past month) we've been having productive discussions compared to at the end of last year when there were decreased participation. The quality of discussion may not stack up to what it was 4 years ago (when more experts were available, and not many topics had been fleshed out yet), but I still think it's going strong.
    I get the feeling that the forum is coming back stronger because of my return. I wasn't here the whole last year of '07.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    I get the feeling that the forum is coming back stronger because of my return. I wasn't here the whole last year of '07.
    Yeah, thanks for sparking the new interest

Yeah, thanks for sparking the new interest
    I was just joking around. Of course I wouldn't know if the forum was going well or not last year since I rarely visited SPCNet. But you guys said it yourself; the forum got more replies and topics during the past couple of months. And I came back in November or December.

It's picked up quite a bit since the holidays, although it's not like some earlier periods when we'd turn over a front page of topics within a few hours. The absolute nadir was the middle of last summer, when for the first and only time in recent memory, with no technical problems to blame, the Wuxia Forum did not move at all for 72 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by dewyloony123 View Post
    Ouch! I'd like to think us newbies aren't that bad...

Actually, I've been lurking on the forum for a few years by now (just decided to start posting recently) and I'm with PJ here--there have been lots of interesting and endearingly off-beat discussions of late.

But yes, there have *also* been some less deep discussions here, e.g. some adaptation centered discussions (that aren't on the nuanced level of Ken's discussions). I guess these two effects cancel out and maintains the average?
    I was talking about the nubs. You noobs are fine.

Unfortunately, Ken seems to be right about YG fans being the most irrational and fanatic. I don't know why but most of the ignorant nubs seem to be hardcore YG fans. Maybe it has something to do with the endless adaptations of LOCH?

You mean ROCH?

I think most issues are discussed out by now, Wudi.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

I remember that for a few months Open Debate overtook Wuxia. But now Wuxia's in its rightful place as the king of Spcnet forums.

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
    I remember that for a few months Open Debate overtook Wuxia.
    Yeah, thanks to the arrival of The God of Opinions, The Opinions of God, OPINIONS GOD Trien Chieu!

To me the low point was not when there was low post counts. It was when we got spammed by nubs with "Ninja Turtle vs Ultraman vs Duan Yu" type posts.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    To me the low point was not when there was low post counts. It was when we got spammed by nubs with "Ninja Turtle vs Ultraman vs Duan Yu" type posts.
    Speaking as the inventor of ZOMBIE Ah Zhu, apparently`.

You know what? It seems as if the activity level in SPCNet dropped greatly when I got back. The TVB section was blossoming with posts when I first joined. I hope more people would join and contribute.