Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Bu Bu Jing Xin Novel Discussion. (Lot's of Spoilers!)

Quote Originally Posted by yannlc View Post
    hehe...i what i meant was how was she going to write the letter?

"please give 8th & 9th poison in the 4th year of yongzhen?"
    "please give 8th & 9th poison when they are imprisioned?"

wouldnt rouxi somehow revealed that she knew the future?

i love rouxi's character...she's one amazing lady to care so much more about others than herself...its ironic that she was so worried about 8th & 9th in jail but in the end she died before she could witness that...am i right to say that all the princes - 4th, 8th, 10th & 14th were in love with her & 13th treated her as a good friend? only 9th didnt like her?

does anyone know why 14th didnt return the jade bangle that belong to 8th till much later?
    I completely agree with you that Rouxi' character is amazing. She's beautiful inside and out so that's why all the princes-4th, 8th, 10th and 14th love her. She cares a lot for her friends/family, that's why she is in such a dilema when 4th begins to kill/punish other people that she considers as her friends/family. Even though 4th becomes the king, he has everything but he can't control her, he's afraid that she will be hurt and she'll leave him.

I wonder is it because Rouxi came from the 21st century, so she treat people (the princes as well as the servant) as equal.

14th didn't return the jade bracelet that Rouxi asked him to give to 8th? In the trailer, I saw 8th smashed the bracelet, I thought that was the bracelet that Rouxi return back to him.
    Last edited by xemphim2000; 04-12-11 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yanfeng View Post
    Back online, though swamped with work!

Quick welcome to all newbies... hooray for new addicts... I mean converts... opps- I was trying to say "fans"!

(**Evil snigger** We'll convert the world yet to Bubujingxing'ism yet!)

Double quick wave to fellow Maggies, and to say I'm nearly, nearly done with Chap 10, parts 9/10, and if done this week will compile my stuff with Ande's (Ande, no rush, whenever you're ready- clearly we're a long way from 'due' ), as well as the wonderful poetry translation by Lulu, to Cutzie!

Cheers for the amazingly detailed footnotes... whew- Plushie you don't believe in doing anything by halves!
    I'm done with most of the chapters, just left the last one! I'll try to finish it by this weekend. But one thing, I'm totally clueless on how to do the footnotes. I'm not really sure what should be footnoted and stuff. So do I just leave those out?

i love rouxi's character...she's one amazing lady to care so much more about others than herself...its ironic that she was so worried about 8th & 9th in jail but in the end she died before she could witness that...am i right to say that all the princes - 4th, 8th, 10th & 14th were in love with her & 13th treated her as a good friend? only 9th didnt like her?
    One reason why I LOOOVE Ruoxi's character is how complex it is. It's not one dimensional like coughGongcough. I don't think she started out caring for others. I mean all the stuff she did initially was for her own survival in the palace. But she grew to be so loving and caring towards others by the end of the novel. The other characters too. You can't just slap the label on them and condemn them as evil (well maybe except the Crown Prince) because they're all so complex and have their reasons for doing what they did. It's like in the end, neither of them are wrong, but neither of them are right. It's just the way it is.

@ yanfeng Well some of the stuff I had to do some research and read up on. You think I knew anything about weiqi/go?? XD I'm way to impatient to play that game lol. So that took a bit of reading. I love doing footnotes though. =D I learn so much a long the way too. I think Hoju's footnotes are amazing as well. So look forward to those. ^^

does anyone know why 14th didnt return the jade bangle that belong to 8th till much later?
    To use it to his advantage. 14th has ambitions too and he is very opportunistic. He doesn't outwardly do anything but he certainly has a knack for taking situations and turn it in his favour.

If he had given the bracelet back right away 8th would not have reacted as much as he did. However, 14th gave it back only after when Ruoxi started to become close to 4th. This provides more friction between 8th and 4th. I don't have the novel with me right now, so perhaps I can give a more in depth answer later.

Quote Originally Posted by xemphim2000 View Post
    14th didn't return the jade bracelet that Rouxi asked him to give to 8th? In the trailer, I saw 8th smashed the bracelet, I thought that was the bracelet that Rouxi return back to him.
    14th eventually gave the bracelet back but he purposely kept it for a while before doing so (think it was around 6 months?). He didn't give the bracelet to 8th right away.

Quote Originally Posted by ande. View Post
    I'm done with most of the chapters, just left the last one! I'll try to finish it by this weekend. But one thing, I'm totally clueless on how to do the footnotes. I'm not really sure what should be footnoted and stuff. So do I just leave those out?
    You can try to do some if you'd like. If not I'll add the footnotes for you when I'm doing the QC. I love doing them anyways. I usually do footnotes on things where I think people who don't know much about Chinese culture would be interested to know or need clarification on. Basically I assume my readers know nothing about Chinese history and culture and put myself in their shoes.
    << ~ Bu Bu Jing Xin Fan-Translation // Magnolia Translation Team: http://bubujingxinenglish.blogspot.com ~ >>

Quote Originally Posted by Plushie View Post
    @ yanfeng Well some of the stuff I had to do some research and read up on. You think I knew anything about weiqi/go?? XD I'm way to impatient to play that game lol. So that took a bit of reading. I love doing footnotes though. =D I learn so much a long the way too. I think Hoju's footnotes are amazing as well. So look forward to those. ^^

To use it to his advantage. 14th has ambitions too and he is very opportunistic. He doesn't outwardly do anything but he certainly has a knack for taking situations and turn it in his favour.

If he had given the bracelet back right away 8th would not have reacted as much as he did. However, 14th gave it back only after when Ruoxi started to become close to 4th. This provides more friction between 8th and 4th. I don't have the novel with me right now, so perhaps I can give a more in depth answer later.

14th eventually gave the bracelet back but he purposely kept it for a while before doing so (think it was around 6 months?). He didn't give the bracelet to 8th right away.

You can try to do some if you'd like. If not I'll add the footnotes for you when I'm doing the QC. I love doing them anyways. I usually do footnotes on things where I think people who don't know much about Chinese culture would be interested to know or need clarification on. Basically I assume my readers know nothing about Chinese history and culture and put myself in their shoes.
    I really love your footnotes. It is a great help for those people like me who only know a little bit about Chinese history.

14th is indeed as Rouxi called that, a fox. When Rouxi became his concobine, did he purposely draw her out by practicing the sword and act sweetly with her to get back at 4th, to get 4th jealous because he knew that 4th spies were around?

...am i right to say that all the princes - 4th, 8th, 10th & 14th were in love with her & 13th treated her as a good friend? only 9th didnt like her?
    Well not ALL the princes liked her, only the ones that the book focused on. Tong Hua probably chose them because they were all involved in the struggle for the throne in real life. But there were other princes present: 1st, 2nd (crown prince), 3rd, 5th, 7th, 12th and a bunch of younger ones after 14th (according to wikipedia). Some of them were mentioned in the book but not part of the main plot.

One thing I always found strange about the story, the mothers of the princes and other women in the palace were barely involved. Surely they all knew about Rouxi but none of them ever gave her trouble or interfered in her life. Just found that part surprising because you have hundreds of women in the palace with nothing to do all day except gossip and meddle.

14th is indeed as Rouxi called that, a fox. When Rouxi became his concobine, did he purposely draw her out by practicing the sword and act sweetly with her to get back at 4th, to get 4th jealous because he knew that 4th spies were around?
    14th is probably the most complex character in the book and I'm still not sure I understand him completely. Yeah he was a bit of an a$$ at times, like when he looked down at 13th's relationship with Lu Wu. And purposely making 4th jealous by flirting with Rouxi. He was too clever for his own good sometimes. No wonder Rouxi initially suspected him of setting up 8th.

Then again, he saved Lu Wu from being raped by 9th, begged Kangxi on his knees in the rain with Rouxi, brought her medicine when she got kicked by 10th, and got her out of the palace. In the end, the time that Rouxi spent with 14th were probably when she was the happiest and most at peace. For the longest time I wasn't sure if he was flirting with her all this time for his own gain or if he really liked her. I've concluded that he really did love her from the beginning (probably since that night she sang the birthday song to 10th). He was just jealous of the fact that she was so close to 13th and frustrated that the brother he most admired and cared about, 8th, was also in love with her.
    Last edited by Vienne94; 04-12-11 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vienne94 View Post

For the longest time I wasn't sure if he was flirting with her all this time for his own gain or if he really liked her. I've concluded that he really did love her from the beginning (probably since that night she sang the birthday song to 10th). He was just jealous of the fact that she was so close to 13th and frustrated that the brother he most admired and cared about, 8th, was also in love with her.
    14th first got intrigued by Rouxi because of her boldness (sing a song to 10th, got into the fight), then he got to like her and finally loved her. 4th and 14th are kind of similar because they fell in love with Rouxi because of her personality and her character. 8th is kind of debatable, I wonder if he first got attracted to Rouxi because she looked like Roulan, later did he fall in love with her because of her personality too. I wonder if 8th love Rouxi because she is somewhat represent Roulan.

I also wonder if Rouxi doesn't know the outcome, she wouldn't pay much attention fo 4th, then 4th wouldn't get to know her and later fell in love with her. She's probably chose 8th, but will she be happy with him because he won't protect her from his wife.

8th is kind of debatable, I wonder if he first got attracted to Rouxi because she looked like Roulan, later did he fall in love with her because of her personality too. I wonder if 8th love Rouxi because she is somewhat represent Roulan.

I also wonder if Rouxi doesn't know the outcome, she wouldn't pay much attention fo 4th, then 4th wouldn't get to know her and later fell in love with her. She's probably chose 8th, but will she be happy with him because he won't protect her from his wife.
    I feel the same way about 8th. When he first met her, he was still hung up on Roulan and saw Rouxi as a second chance. Of course later he realized that they have totally different personalities.

With 4th's cold personality, I don't think they would have gotten to know each other and fell in love if it wasn't for the fact that she knew he was the future Emperor and paid special attention to his needs. The sad truth is, she would have lived a relatively normal and happy life if she had chosen 8th, 14th or even 10th. But no! She had to go and fall for the one guy that would cause so much pain and heartache. Love can sure make us stupid sometimes.

I feel the same way about 8th. When he first met her, he was still hung up on Roulan and saw Rouxi as a second chance. Of course later he realized that they have totally different personalities.

With 4th's cold personality, I don't think they would have gotten to know each other and fell in love if it wasn't for the fact that she knew he was the future Emperor and paid special attention to his needs. The sad truth is, she would have lived a relatively normal and happy life if she had chosen 8th, 14th or even 10th. But no! She had to go and fall for the one guy that would cause so much pain and heartache. Love can sure make us stupid sometimes.
    Like 13th said, 4th has a cold personality but a warm heart and he only shows that to a few very people who have earned his loyalty and his love. Knowing the ending, Rouxi first chose 4th because she wanted protection, but after knowing him, she gradually fell in love with him.

Did Rouxi think that 4th hasn't forgiven her, therefore he didn't come to see her when she died?
    I also wonder that if 8th didn't tell 4th about his romance with Rouxi, will 4th defy Kangxi's edict and won't allow Rouxi to marry 14th?
    Also why did 4th want to keep Rouxi hidden after he became king? Is it because he didn't want her to be involved in any court's fight?

Did anyone have trouble logging in? Because for some reason, I couldn't for hours. On another note, I wonder where Plushie is? Haven't heard from her since yesterday

Joining in the discussion, 14th is actually the one prince that I have the most conflicted feelings about. I couldn't dislike him but I couldn't completely like him either (especially with the letter incident). To be fair though, except for 13th, there isn't really a prince that I completely like. I like 4th but he's too extreme sometimes (steaming, really?). And I never like 8th that much, even when I thought he was going to end up with Ruoxi. His argument with RX (which subtly revealed his true nature and ambition, especially regarding his relationship with 9th, 10th, and 14th) only further pushed me away. 10th is alright at times, annoying at others. And let's not even mention 9th. He's completely out of the ballpark.

Getting back to 14th, I always believed that he has romantic feelings for Ruoxi but hid them because of 8th. That was why he's so angry with Ruoxi when she was with 4th. It's the mentality of "I gave you up because of my brother but you chose another man?" That's why he's so frustrated all the time. Of course, I don't think he love her wholeheartedly, but who really did? 8th refused to give up the throne to be with her and 4th pushed her away because of his pride. That's why I couldn't disliked 14th because, in a way, I could see where he was coming from. Of course, that doesn't make it alright. But still...

On a completely different note, I recently found a sequel to BBJX written by someone else (so I guess you can say it's more of a fanfiction) that is apparently quite popular. Still caught up in BBJX withdrawal, I decide to give it a try. The beginning was alright though the style was nowhere near Tong Hua, but then again, I didn't expect it to be. As I kept on reading, however, the whole thing just nosedived. The characterization became ridiculous and completely different from the original. I found myself thinking "4th/Ruoxi would never do that." I managed to read it to the end but it was a disappointment, and my expectations weren't even that high to start with. It did soothe some of my BBJX thirst though so I won't say it's a complete waste of time. There were a couple moments in there that I did enjoy.

To answer your question, xemphim, 4th didn't make Ruoxi his concubine at the beginning because he doesn't want to have to go through all the strict palace procedures every time he wanted to see her among other reasons.
    Last edited by cutzie; 04-14-11 at 02:16 AM.
    Bu Bu Jing Xin English Fantranslation: http://bubujingxinenglish.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cutzie View Post
    Getting back to 14th, I always believed that he has romantic feelings for Ruoxi but hid them because of 8th. That was why he's so angry with Ruoxi when she was with 4th. It's the mentality of "I gave you up because of my brother but you chose another man?" That's why he's so frustrated all the time. Of course, I don't think he love her wholeheartedly, but who really did? 8th refused to give up the throne to be with her and 4th pushed her away because of his pride. That's why I couldn't disliked 14th because, in a way, I could see where he was coming from. Of course, that doesn't make it alright. But still...

On a completely different note, I recently found a sequel to BBJX written by someone else (so I guess you can say it's more of a fanfiction) that is apparently quite popular. Still caught up in BBJX withdrawal, I decide to give it a try. The beginning was alright though the style was nowhere near Tong Hua, but then again, I didn't expect it to be. As I kept on reading, however, the whole thing just nosedived. The characterization became ridiculous and completely different from the original. I found myself thinking "4th/Ruoxi would never do that." I managed to read it to the end but it was a disappointment, and my expectations weren't even that high to start with. It did soothe some of my BBJX thirst though so I won't say it's a complete waste of time. There were a couple moments in there that I did enjoy.
    It's normal at that time that although the princes like the girl, but there are more important thing such as ambition.

Would it be possible for you to give me the link for the BBJX sequence? Thank you.

Thank you the Magnolia team for the translation. Reading the last part of chapter 2, the first time when 14th met Rouxi, why did he ask her how old is she?

Did anyone have trouble logging in? Because for some reason, I couldn't for hours. On another note, I wonder where Plushie is? Haven't heard from her since yesterday
    Hahaha... Cutzie, you know you're hooked when you try to log in often enough that when it goes down for a few hours, you're feeling every minute of it!

Plus Plushie, you're very loved here because how many of us go for weeks sometimes without hearing from friends or even out-of-town family, but even 24 hours of absence warrants alarm bells around here from us all!

Jumping in about discussion- 14th's motivations are one of the highly debated points, and Tong Hua herself points out in her notes that she deliberately painted him ambiguously... e.g., the fact that him kneeling in the rain was one way he might have tried to get into Kangxi's good books. So it's not clear whether it was entirely a selfless gesture.

In real life, perhaps most actions are colored by a combination of "for self" and "for others", and really there isn't anything wrong with doing things that both benefit yourself as well as those you care about... though you can also see that 14th does things sometimes that benefits himself at the expense of others (e.g., on returning the bracelet late to 8th, you could say it was a sort of revenge.)

Overall I like 14th though, as I do most of the princes (9th and Crown excepting), since he does save Luwu, did often look out for Ruoxi's well-being (I was touched that he kept visiting her even after her fall from grace with Kangxi, when I couldn't really see any benefit to him of doing so) and of course his open-ended offer to Ruoxi to 'save' her from the palace if and when she wanted to implies to me, he might have wanted revenge on 4th, but wouldn't take Ruoxi away until Ruoxi herself asked for it.

Not to mention, at the end of her days, 14th was her companion and was the person with her when she died. Hard to ask more from a friend.

^^Lol. Aw... it's nice to know people care. I feel all warm and fuzzy.
    However, I think Cutzie was only looking for me because it was already past Tuesday and my translation update was nowhere to be found. XD

I didn't have time to post here yesterday but here it is:

Chapter 2 (Complete, w/ parts 1-7):
    http://www.mediafire.com/?63nt242fwt4t8wt

Chapter 3 (Parts1-2):
    http://www.mediafire.com/?bakso71sgsnwc4p

Reading the last part of chapter 2, the first time when 14th met Rouxi, why did he ask her how old is she?
    Based on the fact that 14h asked the question only after seeing what Ruoxi was reading, I think 14th was surprised of how such a young looking girl could be reading such difficult poems. Which is why he asked for her age.

Keep in mind that women back then were not expected to be especially learned. Even women from aristocratic families, though they may be given a simple education and taught how to read and write, are not expected to read such poems. Especially at an age that Ruoxi is at.
    << ~ Bu Bu Jing Xin Fan-Translation // Magnolia Translation Team: http://bubujingxinenglish.blogspot.com ~ >>

Quote Originally Posted by Plushie View Post
    ^^Lol. Aw... it's nice to know people care. I feel all warm and fuzzy.
    However, I think Cutzie was only looking for me because it was already past Tuesday and my translation update was nowhere to be found. XD
    Lol, that was only part of the reason. You know we all love you

Quote Originally Posted by yanfeng View Post
    Hahaha... Cutzie, you know you're hooked when you try to log in often enough that when it goes down for a few hours, you're feeling every minute of it!

Overall I like 14th though, as I do most of the princes (9th and Crown excepting), since he does save Luwu, did often look out for Ruoxi's well-being (I was touched that he kept visiting her even after her fall from grace with Kangxi, when I couldn't really see any benefit to him of doing so) and of course his open-ended offer to Ruoxi to 'save' her from the palace if and when she wanted to implies to me, he might have wanted revenge on 4th, but wouldn't take Ruoxi away until Ruoxi herself asked for it.

Not to mention, at the end of her days, 14th was her companion and was the person with her when she died. Hard to ask more from a friend.
    Haha, I already know I'm addicted :P
    All the things you said about 14th are the exact reasons I couldn't disliked him. I admit that sometimes I like his tactics in making 4th jealous (before he married RX that is). Like how he pretended RX was giving him a present when she was just giving back the bracelet. It made me giggle a little

Edit
    Xemphim, I read the "sequel" while I was on break at home so I don't have the link on my laptop. I think you can find it in the usual places though (sina, etc). Just search bbjx sequel
    Last edited by cutzie; 04-15-11 at 02:00 PM.

Thank you again to the Magnolia team!

Question. Why is Ming Yu addressed as "ge ge" but QiaoHui always calls Rouxi "xiao jie?" Do you need to be a certain rank to be called that? I believe one of the footnotes from chapter 1 mentioned that "ge ge" doesn't mean princess but rather it means the same as "xiao jie" for Manchurians? So what's the difference?

Thank you again to the Magnolia team!

Question. Why is Ming Yu addressed as "ge ge" but QiaoHui always calls Rouxi "xiao jie?" Do you need to be a certain rank to be called that? I believe one of the footnotes from chapter 1 mentioned that "ge ge" doesn't mean princess but rather it means the same as "xiao jie" for Manchurians? So what's the difference?
    Are you reading the revised version of the novel online? If yes then yah, Ruoxi is referred to as xiao jie instead of Ge'ge. I actually own a copy of the novel, and in it the servants actually refer to Ruoxi as Ge'ge, not xiao jie. It might have been something that was fixed only for the printing of the book. I am assuming the print version is the most accurate to what Tonghua wanted it to be so I am going with the book version.

However, since Ge'ge pretty much means young mistress in Manchurian, I've been keeping it "young mistress" in my translation. I mentioned Mingyu as Mingyu Ge'ge because it would not make sense in English for Qiaohui to say, "People call her Mingyu Young mistress". XD. even though it pretty much means that.
    Perhaps I should keep everything as Ge'ge and go back to change all of the "young mistress" into Ge'ge? Would that make it less confusing?

And what's the difference between a regular xiao jie and a Ge'ge? First, Ge'ge is a Manchurian word. Second it represent status. You have to be from a family of certain rank to be referred to as Ge'ge. I believe your family has to be a part of the imperial clan and within that, you'd also have to be above a certain imperial rank. There are 12 peerage ranks just for the imperial clan, and I think you have to be at least rank 7 and above. Don't quote me on this last statement though. XD

Tonghua never specifies if Ruoxi's family is part of the imperial clan or not. If yes, her family is most likely of fairly distant relations, unlike Mingyu who is much closer to the main Imperial line. (Her mother is Emperor Kangxi's first cousin!) Since my book does refer Ruoxi as Ge'ge, I'd assume she is still a part of imperial clan.

Even though Rouxi is in the body of a thirteen years old girl, but her soul and mind are of 25 years old woman. It makes sense that she feels attractive to 8th because she lives in his house, come into contact with him through her sister and pity him because she knows his fate. As for the 4th prince, first she just wants to find out about his preference because she knows that he'll be the future emperor, therefore she has to get on his good side and not to offend him. As she gets to know him, she slowly falls in love with him. As for the 14th, to her he likes a little brother because the first time she meets him, he was only 14-15 years old, I guess it's hard for her (a mature woman) to be attracted to a young boy. As time goes by, even though 14th matures, it's hard for her to change her thinking plus she already has 4th in her heart.

Question: What did 4th give Rouxi for her birthday?

@Plushie: Yes, I'm reading the online version. I wonder what other differences exist between the print version and the online version. Thanks for clearing things up. I have no idea about the ranking system in the Qing Dynasty so I defer to your expertise. You can certainly keep using "young mistress" or Ge'ge in your translations. Though I think Ge'ge sounds better personally.

I actually knew a girl in high school who is part of the imperial clan (if the Qing Dynasty still existed today). She's a real life Ge'ge! Maybe I should look her up on FB and ask her about the ranking system, hehehe.

On a completely different note, I recently found a sequel to BBJX written by someone else (so I guess you can say it's more of a fanfiction) that is apparently quite popular. Still caught up in BBJX withdrawal, I decide to give it a try.
    @Cutzie, if possible, would you please give the link for the sequel to BBJX. Thank you.

Xemphim, I read the "sequel" while I was on break at home so I don't have the link on my laptop. I think you can find it in the usual places though (sina, etc). Just search bbjx sequel