Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Community Translation via Google Docs

Quote Originally Posted by Grundle View Post
    Wanderer Chronicles is translated by Abhay up to chapter 8. That is a possibility, since it hasn't been touched since late 2013.
    The four constables by Wen Rui'an is also unfinished.

Let me see if I can find some more stuff to your liking
    I think The Four Constables will be perfect for the first project.
    Maybe, it would be good if you also limit the number of people involved in a project, like 5-10 persons per project. If the program proved to be popular, then another project could be started.

I think it's a fantastic idea.

It would be perfect for any of Huang Yi's stories where there are several hundreds of chapters. Those are rather difficult for a single translator to take on.

You should gather a few translators and test it with a smaller scope translation just to see how it works in practice. You'll need a way to keep all of the naming consistent. Perhaps keep a separate document to keep track of all the names, where you either use name already translated or add one that's not translated yet.

Flow shouldn't be a big worry. Since it's a community-driven translation, the translation should be edited and improved over time anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by kaister View Post
    ...You'll need a way to keep all of the naming consistent....
    a growing document with a list of legends for the latest names (people, places, martial art, etc) in google doc should do it.

e.g.
    陸小鳳 = Lu Xiaofeng
    西門吹雪 = Ximen Chuixue
    劍仙 = sword immortal

gad... the list will be long...else one will have "Xiao Li flying daggers", another, "Little Li flying knives (or darts)" etc, etc...

All very good ideas. I guess now I should ask for a list of translators willing to work on this project. I'll update the first post of Confirmed translators as each one affirms their participation.
    --=={Grundle}==--

Quote Originally Posted by ycb5959 View Post
    a growing document with a list of legends for the latest names (people, places, martial art, etc) in google doc should do it.

e.g.
    陸小鳳 = Lu Xiaofeng
    西門吹雪 = Ximen Chuixue
    劍仙 = sword immortal

gad... the list will be long...else one will have "Xiao Li flying daggers", another, "Little Li flying knives (or darts)" etc, etc...
    We can have a list in excel and then download a word macro that will automatically do find and replace. It would speed up the translation by a lot. I've been trying that on stellar transformations. Once you replaced the proper nouns and technical terms, you get a noticeably improvement on the google translate results.

If we continue Tang Dragons, I'm in. Not sure about other novels. I would be able to contribute once in a while but not on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Grundle View Post
    All very good ideas. I guess now I should ask for a list of translators willing to work on this project. I'll update the first post of Confirmed translators as each one affirms their participation.
    Count me in. I also have one suggestion for a possible translation. I think chapter 1-3 of Swordman Journey hasn't been translated.