Page 41 of 365 FirstFirst ... 31323334353637383940414243444546474849505191141 ... LastLast

Thread: Bu Bu Jing Xin 《步步惊心》 - Nicky Wu, Liu Shi Shi, Kevin Cheng, Yuan Hong

Highlights!!!!!

电视剧步步惊心:花絮:若曦@刘诗诗 八爷@郑嘉颖KC 上一刻试戏还是清冷感觉的,这会儿试就笑如清风了~PS:其实四爷@吴奇隆 就在旁边接受采访,啧啧,背后的二位,说你们呢,那手怎么就牵起来了?!
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i51.tinypic.com/14uv1c9.jpg')

电视剧步步惊心:花絮:今日刷屏开始~八爷@郑嘉颖KC 若曦@刘诗诗 试戏中~一大早的就走煽情路线的二位,试戏的感觉怎么也这么清冷?淡烟、流水、雪幽幽
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i51.tinypic.com/dptj43.jpg')

电视剧步步惊心:花絮:若曦@刘诗诗 被拉回来了,剩八爷一人拍萧瑟地在后面走,四爷@吴奇隆 圆满了。虽然若曦刚被拉回来时,四爷酸味十足地表示:哼~不要站一起。可这两位的表情看着,站 得挺开心的啊
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i53.tinypic.com/2l8i100.jpg')

花絮:四爷@吴奇隆 记者的问题有这么难吗?您这连嘴都抿起来了,是思考呢?还是因为背后二位牵手了呢?
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i52.tinypic.com/jrv6dy.jpg')

花絮:一直背影和侧面出镜的八爷@郑嘉颖KC 正面~
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i55.tinypic.com/1hw1ol.jpg')
    Last edited by Liu Xiao Xiao; 03-03-11 at 12:27 PM.

Oh my, the waterside scenery is breath-taking! Looks to me that Kevin & LSS scenes are more romantic, whereas Nicky & LSS scenes are way more physical.

I find it cheesy that they named Ruoxi's modern time boyfriend Huang Di. With a name like that, I rather they don't bring her back to modern time. Just end with the final scene in the forest.

As for the historical "authenticity" of the costumes...frankly, I didn't find Min Min's costume "authentic" - her hat looked like it was plucked from a souvenir shop.

Quote Originally Posted by aloysius View Post
    Also read that it may premiere on Jiangsu TV.
    I hope that's true. Jiangsu TV aired Three Kingdoms last year and rakes in huge ad revenues. I hope Tangren can recoup their investment in this! Best case scenario is if CCTV buys it, but doubt so since it's not really "正剧".

Read somewhere that BBJX may cost up to RMB100 million - but I think this amount is exaggerated since the jewelery is mostly borrowed, not bought. Honestly, I doubt they will make another Qing series, so why spend so much?
    Last edited by xiaolong; 03-03-11 at 11:54 AM.

Stills!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i51.tinypic.com/2eyied3.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i55.tinypic.com/2rek65d.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i55.tinypic.com/15pj2jc.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i53.tinypic.com/oqzupy.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i56.tinypic.com/rua6bb.jpg')
    Last edited by Liu Xiao Xiao; 03-03-11 at 04:26 PM.

4th shows his true colours.... lol

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i51.tinypic.com/25su7bq.jpg')

^^OMG!!!!!!! That is so cute!!! Is that in the novel? I don't see Kevin or LSS laughing
    Last edited by Liu Xiao Xiao; 03-03-11 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liu Xiao Xiao View Post
    ^^OMG!!!!!!! That is so cute!!! Is that in the novel? I don't see Kevin or LSS laughing
    No no. Nicky is just playing around. lol and that's YH not Kevin btw.

Oh my badddd...hehehe. I was assuming Kevin because of the BTS I posted above, didn't know YH was there too!

I'm wondering how they came to be in that postion? LOL. I mean LSS being on the ground, what is she doing and what is YH doing (since both of them looked so serious) and Nicky acting like he just conquered the world, I mean empire..hehehe...

LOL. I mean LSS being on the ground, what is she doing and what is YH doing (since both of them looked so serious) and Nicky acting like he just conquered the world, I mean empire..hehehe...
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i51.tinypic.com/25su7bq.jpg')
    4th: MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Ruoxi: .......... T______________T
    13th: Sorry Ruoxi, now you know how I feel...all the time..... >.<"

This cast are too darn cute!!!!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i56.tinypic.com/255rt75.jpg')
    Last edited by Liu Xiao Xiao; 03-03-11 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Plushie View Post
    4th: MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Ruoxi: .......... T______________T
    13th: Sorry Ruoxi, now you know how I feel...all the time..... >.<"
    Nah, it's more like

Ruoxi: Ahhh. Back massage!
    13th: Too bad 4th brother wouldn't give me one, too...

Quote Originally Posted by Plushie View Post
    ^ Hm... why don't I like 14th? I find him a bit fake. He uses his image of being caring, loving and loyal as a means to achieve his goals. You can see this when:
    Great insight Plushie, I admit I didn't get what you said in the spoiler until I read the authoress' own analysis in this respect- I'm amazed at how strong an opinion she has on the issue!

The most intriguing thing she revealed there though is that 8th is her personal favorite- that apparently she herself wept over many of 8th's scenes as she wrote them, and e.g., for 4th only once did she do so. She is certainly impartial in her writing then, since I found 13th, 14th and 4th to actually be amazingly compelling characters as well, although I am a lot more sympathetic to 8th now that I'm 80% through with the novel.

8th
    Initially I considered him something of a dishonest coward, but in retrospect, now that I'm done his last scene with Ruoxi, I wonder if he may have voluntarily given up more and taken more risks for her than any of the Princes- incredibly debatable because, as we all know here, motivations for actions in here is a very gray area. How much is sacrifice and how much is calculated to make them look good to the world? Gain them connections? Attain the satisfaction of revenge by being friends with the enemies of my enemies?

However, without any spoilers, I can say that the last common scene between 13th, 8th and Ruoxi has been, to this point, the highlight of the novel!

Not that 4th is not heartbreakingly compelling, or 14th not possibly the most generous-hearted to the end.

But there is something about giving to a friend when you yourself have lost everything there is worth losing in life and have 'nothing left'

Even if all you have to give is forgiveness.

Even if all you can do is try your best to forget.

Okay, can you tell I'm half in love with 13th?

(And hey, I think I'm pretty fair... I'm half in love pretty much all FOUR of the main princes! )) I don't play favorites much.

And btw, for those of you wondering, at least in the novel, the crown prince, 10th and 9th just aren't developed enough... they just seem either too much of comic characters - 10th, even though he too is a great friend of Ruoxi's, or flatly, vaguely distasteful! E.g., For all that 9th is supposed to be the poet/literary one amongst them he certain can be scum!)

PS Thanks for all the picts and updates- I admit that because I saw the stills before I started on the novel, Nicky is my image of the hot 4th Prince. Though for whatever reason, my image of 13th, 8th and particularly 14th are entirely different from the actors. Perhaps the other actors didn't give me as strong an impression from the trailer, so I now have my own image of what they ought to look like from the novel.

PPS Ha! Yingying, 13th is not the only one...

What wouldn't I give to have 4th give me a back-rub?! Yummm.... Tifftiff/Plushie and others, I think they'd playing it right to give Nicky more hot bed scenes with Ruoxi... playing up to 4th's sexual aura.

BTW, it's funny but even in the novel you can feel a sort of raw 'animal' magnetism 4th exudes in spite of being the icy-faced Prince that 8th does not. In that respect they got the mood right.... though I'm still wary of 8th's "romantic" air- give me honest lust any day!

(More later on the compelling'ness of 4th, and Hoju, agree with you that the 4th-Ruoxi romance is quite Byronic and poetic in it's own quite way... a veritable Heathcliff and Catherine type of love!)
    Last edited by yanfeng; 03-03-11 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yanfeng View Post
    Okay, can you tell I'm half in love with 13th?
    (And hey, I think I'm pretty fair... I'm half in love pretty much all FOUR of the main princes! )) I don't play favorites much.
    Well, 13th comes up a lot as the favourite in Bu Bu's tieba threads. Not just you, but also Tong Hua herself who recently wrote four adoring entries about 13th in her weibo (but could be bcos she's long-term friends with YH): http://t.sina.com.cn/xiaosanju

I think we all have a strange relationship/fascination with the very grey characters of the four main princes. Despite 4th's stomach-churning methods of killing Yutan and the little eunuch who bullied Ruoxi (hope they won't show it on TV or else it will give you all nightmares!), I'm endlessly fascinated by 4th. It makes me feel like a sadist.

"Hou Gong", another Yongzheng drama starring Sun Li, will air in mid-Nov.
    Last edited by xiaolong; 03-03-11 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    Well, 13th comes up a lot as the favourite in Bu Bu's tieba threads. Not just you, but also Tong Hua herself who recently wrote four adoring entries about 13th in her weibo (but could be bcos she's long-term friends with YH): http://t.sina.com.cn/xiaosanju

I think we all have a strange relationship/fascination with the very grey characters of the four main princes. Despite 4th's stomach-churning methods of killing Yutan and the little eunuch who bullied Ruoxi (hope they won't show it on TV or else it will give you all nightmares!), I'm endlessly fascinated by 4th. It makes me feel like a sadist.

"Hou Gong", another Yongzheng drama starring Sun Li, will air in mid-Nov.

Thanks for the link! Wow... I didn't know Tong Hua is a fan of 13th's! In fact in her online novel I was reading a comment where she implied she's pretty emotionally removed from 4th, 14th and 13th, with only 8th drawing her in.

But I'm looking forward to 13th being played by a good lookin' guy- he _is_ supposed to be one of the more dashing and debonair (popular with the ladies!) of the Princes, though Ruoxi herself I think considers 8th to be the most good looking.

And ok, I'm with you. I have a morbid fascination with 4th. I think it's how full of larger-than-life contrasts he is. Simultaneously all fire and brimstone and yet patient, placid, glacial ice. Of all the princes he's the one who can be inhuman not just to others but to himself. Tortures himself silently, not-one-whimper-of-complaint when he's helpless to help Ruoxi or when he must stand by while Kangxi
    click to show/hide spoilers
    destroys
    13th. Anyone less strong than he would go mad.

A really towering character- as I mentioned earlier he reminds me somewhat of Heathcliff, the borderline-villain in Wuthering Heights. Perfectly mad with devotion.

Ruoxi is a Catherine herself... who is capable of extremes to prove her point or depend a loved one- putting her life on line again and again for those she cares about. And in a way she and 4th are also alike (even though the novel focuses on the similarities between her and 13th's philosophy).

And that's why when we get the one scene with Ruoxi kneeling in the rain
    begging Kangxi to give 13th just one little favor
    and 4th
    Comes. Stands there. Drops his umbrella as if he doesn't notice it anymore and just hugs Ruoxi not even noticing the storm
    the rare show of desperation, the rarely seen crack in both their masks made me shiver because it felt so epic!

As detestable as 4th can be, I admit I totally see why Ruoxi would rather
    suffer three years of hard labor
    than marry anyone else.

Though, it is 13th who has the most special place in my heart... and glad that I'm not unique here... 14th's popularity stems firstly I think as Plushie says, from the fact that people don't see the scheming in him. But secondly, it is undeniable that when push came to shove, 13th and 14th and even 8th were there for Ruoxi when no one else would or could possibly have
    taken her away from
    4th.

Gah... I'm slowly slipping into Bu Bu obsession!

I think I need a little sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by yanfeng View Post
    However, without any spoilers, I can say that the last common scene between 13th, 8th and Ruoxi has been, to this point, the highlight of the novel!
    Ah! Me too! I simply love that scene. It was then that I realized that I had misjudged 8th. Up until that point, I had thought that, while he still had feelings for Ruoxi, he had set them aside. That last scene revealed, however, that to the end, he would still protect her. The dialogue was well written, not sappy or teary, but it tugged at my heart. I'm so glad that by then, 8th's heart was numb, so even though the readers and Ruoxi know from history what his fate would be, it wasn't as frightful anymore.

My other favourite scene is Ruoxi's and 13th's conversation the night prior to 13th's fateful day.

13th is still my favourite, but like all of you, I am drawn to 4th as well. Something about his cool facade, but then we are dropped hints about his passionate side or hear about (but never see) his viciousness.

14th fascinates me. I can't quite put my finger on him. Plushie described him correctly as being opportunistic. When he
    knelt in the rain and begged for mercy for 13th
    , was it to for his friendship with Ruoxi or to secure his position in Kangxi's eyes as the "good brother?" Probably a little of both, but which was the primary reason? Does he love Ruoxi? Probably, but how much? In what way? Friendship like 13th? Or more? He is the character that changed the most, and I find he has layers of complexity that I'm still trying to sort out. I hope Lin Gengxin will do this character justice.

As Plushie stated, none of the characters are "clean." Even bumbling, comical 10th, who often is silent and never actively involved in the plotting (that the readers can see) spoke up during the plot that
    ultimately ended up causing 13th to be sentenced to isolation.

We should start a Bu Bu Jing Xin novel thread in the Academia section so we don't have to keep putting things in spoilers. Would love to discuss this more...
    Last edited by Hoju!; 03-03-11 at 11:23 PM.
    一杯酒,一個朋友!
    --离歌笑

So anybody confirm that LSS will come back to modern day or stay in Qing dynasty?

Quote Originally Posted by bachtuyet View Post
    So anybody confirm that LSS will come back to modern day or stay in Qing dynasty?
    It isn't confirmed yet. In the novel, she dies in the Qing dynasty. But in the TV series, they are still contemplating whether to bring her back to modern time. I hope not! - I LOVE the ending in the novel...
    the ending has Ruoxi dying under peach blossoms and Yongzheng standing over his empire....爱与恨都已离去,只剩他了- All love and hate has dissolve, only he is left. I'm looking forward to Nicky in this electrifying scene.

But I guess a "happier" ending would probably work more on the TV screen and with younger viewers. Although I'm still about the cheesy "Huang Di" name of her modern bf.

Just trying to air my history views here. Older historians seem to have considered Yongzheng the least important of the Kangxi/Yongzheng/Qianlong triumvirate because his ascension to the throne was very controversial. But it looks to me that only recent historians started to feel that no matter his controversial ascension, it shouldn't delegitimize his leadership abilities. He was unpopular for the reason that he was supremely one-minded and efficient in rooting out corruption. I think the Qianlong reign is over-glorified in TV shows like Huan Zhu Ge Ge as the decline of the Qing began near the end of his reign. But could also because Qianlong lived the longest (he abdicated in favour of his son as he didn't want his reign to be longer than his granddad Kangxi).

For those who have read Er Yue He's bio (the part during Yongzheng's reign):
    don't you find the most heartbreaking scene was when 13th died of the ill health he got from those years of jail he did to save Yongzheng? Yongzheng mourned him deeply for a long time as he blamed himself for his death. And when Yongzheng was forced to kill his younger son (who tried to murder his older brother, Hongli/future Qianlong), he was so broken that he couldn't walk and his eunuch carried him on the back all the way. It's like retribution after what he did to his brothers. That scene really broke my heart.

It reminds me of the Book of Samuel in the Bible. King David was a supremely efficient ruler but failed to keep his family together (resulting in the death of his son), which made him a broken man when he died.
    Last edited by xiaolong; 03-04-11 at 01:02 AM.

The trailer for this looks awesome. I am so excited to see this. Although, the trailer for Gong did make me want to see it also... I really think the author of HYD needs to sue Yu Zheng, that level of plagiarism was just ridiculous.

I even started reading the book in Chinese. I am addicted to it, it is so awesome, I am staying up until 2 in the morning to watch it and I have work at 8. My limited knowledge of Chinese characters is slowing me down. I like how Ruo Xi's actions, for the most part, are very reasonable. The way she develops is also very nice and subtle.

As I have gotten a bit impatient, does anyone mind telling me if whether the 4th Prince was interested in the throne at all in the beginning? From a section I read it seems like he didn't, but I don't like that so I've been wondering if anyone who has finished the book can shed some light for me on the issue.

Also I can't seem to read the spoilers anymore. I used to be able to, but now it doesn't work for me anymore, I've even tried using a different browser.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoju! View Post
    We should start a Bu Bu Jing Xin novel thread in the Academia section so we don't have to keep putting things in spoilers. Would love to discuss this more...
    Let's do it! Would you start one and let us know when you do?? (I've never started a thread!)

I'll come to discuss- my head is filled with Bu bu jing xing these days and work is a foggy concept... need to clear my mind out by analyzing all the details with others that also have just read the book!

Too bad my mandarin sucks so much I can't post and be a part of the baidu discussions...

Back on topic: I admt I think it is a losing battle for the drama to match the novel. Even with the strongest cast and director (and no offense but there are a few light-weights as have been noted here) it would be a huge challenge to do justice to the intricacies and subtleties of the novel.

I'm increasingly conflicted about the drama.

I'm excited to see 4th and 8th and 13th in-action so to speak, but at the same time I'm worried I'll be disappointed by the on-screen personas compared to the towering novel characters.

But I'll trust Tong Hua to bring something out in the script that might add to the characters or make something of them a little different from the novel so they don't try to equal the novel in ways they cannot!

It will be glorious to see e.g., Minmin's dance scene "in the flesh"! And I _think_ they're planning on having LSS dance too because recall from 4th's p.o.v. that's what it was all about
    Ruoxi's genius and selflessness in making Minmin the shining star of the night to capture 13th's admiration.

I love it that Ruoxi's looks only managed to get 4th's bored attention at first, and it was her character and actions and words that moved him to love her in the end....

So much to say but spoilers get in the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Haruhi6 View Post
    As I have gotten a bit impatient, does anyone mind telling me if whether the 4th Prince was interested in the throne at all in the beginning? From a section I read it seems like he didn't, but I don't like that so I've been wondering if anyone who has finished the book can shed some light for me on the issue.
    No worries, I'm also obsessed with the book, but I work very long hours so it's been difficult. I can only speed read, and it's not the type of book you should speed read. I intend to take leave in April to read it properly. To put it in a very summarized way (pls read the book, this won't do justice to the intensity of raw emotion conveyed in the book):
    4th was a contender, but he wasn't fighting tooth & nail. So he wasn't initially seen as a threat by 8th who was targeting the crown prince. Ruoxi, before she broke off her love relationship with 8th, felt bad about his eventual fate (she has knowledge of the future since she comes from modern time) and gave him a warning about 4th. 8th, with this forewarning and piqued by Ruoxi's burgeoning romance with 4th, puts together a dastardly plot to get rid of 4th. Just as 4th was about to get out of the picture, 13th steps in to take the rap for him. 4th was heartbroken over Kangxi destroying 13th. The only way for 4th to save his beloved 13th and marry Ruoxi (he can't marry Ruoxi after 8th's plot because he had fallen out of Kangxi's favour) is to take the throne. This key event spurs 4th to fight tooth & nail for the throne.

Ruoxi is the victim of the theory of predestination paradox - in trying to ameliorate a tragic event in history, she accidentally becomes the cause of all its terrible effects.

I love Tong Hua's ability to create great characters. Everything the characters say, do, and everything that happens to them are so layered with meaning. The book portrays the dangers of the ancient court in a way that will gut you in the stomach - one wrong move or glance and off with your head. Because of that, each of the four princes has to wear a mask to disguise their true intentions and it would take very inspired acting to convey the nuances of their thoughts. Believe me, I did some literature modules at uni, but have come across few characters in the canon (best I can think of is Heathcliffe in Wuthering Heights, Shakespeare's Hamlet) who can equate these four princes in terms of characterisation.
    Last edited by aloysius; 03-04-11 at 01:24 AM.

This cast are too darn cute!!!!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i56.tinypic.com/255rt75.jpg')
    LXX, do you have the real picture of Nicky and LSS for this cartoon? Usually cartoons were made from real pictures for scenes from this series, I would like to see this one, please, if you have it. Thank you

Awww, what's Nicky doing putting his foot on LSS's back? Is that a BTS shot? LSS doesn't seem to care or something.