View Poll Results: What do you think of mindless, reckless rage and anger?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's so cool! I envy and admire fictional characters who can rage and look heroic doing it!

1 20.00%
  • It's stupid! People who behave like that aren't heroes, and shouldn't be depicted as such.

4 80.00%

Thread: mindless, reckless rage and violent anger: is it cool or stupid?

Default mindless, reckless rage and violent anger: is it cool or stupid?

The media makes it out to be cool (see RAMBO and other action movies), but we condemn it in the real world. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    The media makes it out to be cool (see RAMBO and other action movies), but we condemn it in the real world. What do you think?
    Well, it can be cool in fiction but completely stupid in real life. In fiction, you can be happy go lucky with little consequences for your actions; everything will work out in your favor. Think about all the wuxia heroes, how many would survive in real life? My answer is NONE. In real life, pretty much all your actions have consequences. The so call cool guys are short live stupid losers whereas the uncool calculative guys are the ultimate victor that last. Unfortunately or fortunately, this is the law of nature throughout human history.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 08-05-11 at 03:05 PM.

Nothing done for the sake of being cool is ever cool.

Hmm, never seen Rambo movies but I tend to think that mindless, reckless and violent rage is stupid, and not to mention costly.

IRL it is desperate at best, I think. Sometimes perfectly understandable but hardly ever cool - and usually (as dictionary points out) very costly.
    But real world rules do not apply in action flicks and vice versa. In some fiction and in some movies, it is pretty damn cool.
    (Dang, where is my The Crow DVD...?)

BTW - it would be fair to point out that the first Rambo movie was anything but mindless or stupid. And if I remember correctly, the overall bodycount was - one? (The sequels, that is of course an entirely different story.)

I'll probably refrain from voting, but I guess my opinion is somewhat closer to
    It's so cool! I envy and admire fictional characters who can rage and look heroic doing it!
    In real life, I'd view such "raging" much more critically, of course.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

Mindless, reckless rage and violent anger is only cool in movies no in real life.

Just like how a gambler and a thief can be cool in movies but not real life.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I'm sorry but gamblers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTFMTjPvIvQ
    And thieves http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUDqLxqBTDg
    can be very cool. Anything can be cool, but it ain't what you do, it's how you do it.

I dont think it's cool; but it's a quality that I have no control over. Yea I get disportionately hostile towards people upon slightest provocation.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Mindless, reckless rage and violent anger is only cool in movies no in real life.

Just like how a gambler and a thief can be cool in movies but not real life.
    I wish movies and real life were exactly the same just so I could stop being confused.

I like for A to be A, and B to be B. I hate it when A is B and B is A, but sometimes, both are C. That drives *me* into a mindless, reckless rage.

I wish movies and real life were exactly the same just so I could stop being confused.

I like for A to be A, and B to be B. I hate it when A is B and B is A, but sometimes, both are C. That drives *me* into a mindless, reckless rage.
    Not cool man, not cool
    --=={Grundle}==--

rage.
    It's not confusion, it is refusal to accept. It works in fiction, it doesn't work in real life. Just remember that. Not confusing at all.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    It's not confusion, it is refusal to accept. It works in fiction, it doesn't work in real life. Just remember that. Not confusing at all.
    As long as that's true for ALL of us and not just for me, I can deal with that.

I've spent half my life worrying that some power out there specifically has it out for *me*. I don't want to be exceptional in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I also want to have external affirmation that when I think or say that real life and fiction are different, that's REALLY how it is...not just me making excuses for myself because I failed to match some fictional standard.

I don't trust myself, you see. I need to hear it from someone else to know that I'm not just making an excuse for myself.

I also want to have external affirmation that when I think or say that real life and fiction are different, that's REALLY how it is...not just me making excuses for myself because I failed to match some fictional standard.

I don't trust myself, you see. I need to hear it from someone else to know that I'm not just making an excuse for myself.
    You already got affirmation from PJ and me. If that's not enough, acclaimed lyricist Lam Jik also thinks so.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩