Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: 《衣被天下》Clothing the World (2010): Yuan Hong, Liu Shi Shi, Zhang Junning, Li Qian

I'm beginning to anticipate Clothing the World/LOCH crossover videos =)

I saw in the trailer...

There is this part at the end where the princess was laying her head on the General's shoulder. When did this happen I didn't see it in the series.

Just out of curiosity who is YH hold off the cliff scene. I hope it the princess not Qiao Er. The princess definitely seem to grow up as the series goes. I assume Qiao always good from the beginning. Why is the princess flirting w/ Mongolian soldier in one scene?

I just went back to re-watch the episodes. On episode 13 it's funny how Lin Mufei's martial arts during the duel with that other general reminds me of him as Yang Kang in LOCH. When they were fighting by hands, he was using the claw style, when he used the spears, it looks like the Yang spear..LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bachtuyet View Post
    Just out of curiosity who is YH hold off the cliff scene. I hope it the princess not Qiao Er. The princess definitely seem to grow up as the series goes. I assume Qiao always good from the beginning. Why is the princess flirting w/ Mongolian soldier in one scene?
    There was one scene where the princess and Qiao Er went to rescue the general and the princess had to pretend to be a prostitute in order for Qiao Er to leave safely with the general without the Mongolian soldiers knowing.
    I don't make my decisions fearing fate, Fate makes his.

I just rewatched parts of this series and I must say I'm going to rate this as one of my all-time favourite Li Guo Li productions, up there with Young Warriors! In this series, the characters were so wonderfully developed! And the relationships...wow! In Young Warriors, you don't feel for any of the couples, but here the development of the couples was awesome.
    click to show/hide spoilers
    You really want Fang Ning and Qiao Er to be together forever, and for the General and his princess to live happily ever after. Their relationships give new meaning to the word "soulmates". Even Qiao Er's bro-in-law and Xiaomei - I was so happy that they got back together and she was expecting his child! Plus the close sisterhood among the weavers and the teacher-pupil interactions were breathtaking!

In Young Warriors, I kept wanting Guan Hong to be with Yelu Xie not Wu Lang, and Dr Luo to be with Pan Bao because there was absolutely no chemistry between LSS and Peter Ho. And I was neutral towards the Liu Lang-Princess Chai coupling. But here, I felt Qiao Er should be with no other except Fang Ning and the General should only be with his Princess.

Quote Originally Posted by GeShiYuan View Post
    Would it be better if it was the other way around?
    Actually what I meant was
    Fang Ning didn't deserve to die and Qiao Er didn't deserve to lose him that way. I wish he had lived. Sure, near the end, she did think about the old days with the General like any newly single woman thinking with regret about an old flame, but I don't think she wanted to be with him anymore. Because by the time Fang Ning died, Fang Ning was firmly No. 1 in her heart and that's why I cried bucketloads for her.

This series is also getting Zheng Guolin (who acted as Qiao Er's bro-in-law) noticed by the media and the industry: http://yule.sohu.com/20100817/n274276905.shtml People are praising his performance, plus he's pretty hunky too.

Just out of curiosity who is YH hold off the cliff scene. I hope it the princess not Qiao Er.
    That was General Lin Mufei's murdered mother.
    Last edited by xiaolong; 08-22-10 at 02:43 AM.

just out of curiosity how did Fan Ning die? I happen to like the ending that was set

Quote Originally Posted by kengyew View Post
    Go to YouTube. Type "Tian Ya Zhi Nu" on the search space. MuNianCi has loaded up the series. But it's a real pain watching it on YouTube, tho much better than Youku. I'll buy the DVD when it comes out.

I'm new here and have been reading all the amusing comments on the lack of General Lin Mufei's dilemma. Here's my take after skimming through the painfully slow YouTube videos.
    Contrary to most people here, I do like it that the General lost his feelings for Qiao Er and didn't hesitate to leave with his princess. The princess sacrificed the most for him and I think Qiao Er would not feel good if she caused any tension between them. You do feel that the General and the princess have become one in heart and soul. Any suggestion of a dilemma would have ruined that.

I'm annoyed about the over-deletion of romantic scenes between General and princess as well, but I do think they did have enough scenes to suggest their growing love and attachment. E.g. the General had the golden opportunity to kill the Mongolian general, but chose to save his princess first, which meant that he started putting her above political concerns. He also did choose to live a peaceful couple's life with his princess in a little thatched cottage although his mind was still on the country's situation especially when he bumped into one of his former soldiers. When the princess saw him practising martial arts, she started practising with him too and said she will help him in battle. He doesn't have to say out his thoughts - she knew. As for him, he was also hesitating to go into battle again because he was thinking about her feelings. That's how much they understood each other.

Near the end when they were with the performing troupe, one of the troupe leaders told the princess that there might be some feelings between the General and Qiao Er, thus the General won't drag Qiao Er into their political plans. The princess looked insecure. The General overheard and said he will ask Qiao Er directly, then challenged the troupe leader to follow him. I think he also did so because he was annoyed at the suggestion that he still had feelings for Qiao Er. By this time, notice that he stopped looking at Qiao Er forlornly nor did he even think about the old days anymore. Even when he let Qiao Er lie on his shoulder to comfort her, he withdrew when he saw his princess and stood closer to her. You do get the feeling he has firmly moved on and treasures his princess, although this was way too understated due to the deleted scenes.

From this point of view, this is an extremely good story about love, relationships and marriage. I know why LSS chose the princess role. It's a more meaty role in terms of character development from spoilt, pampered xiao jie to brave, patriotic heroine. The woman she becomes at the end deserves a single-minded focused love from the General, not the tension or insecurity that arises from any sort of dilemma. She is his soulmate and there should not be any conflict about that.

Sure, Qiao Er is the female lead and has the most screentime, but you must admit that Qiao Er's character and personality stays the same from start to finish. You don't get the feeling that she "grew up" as much as the princess. The only thing I had wished for her is that Fang Ning had lived.

Oops, sorry I wrote an essay here. That's how much this series had moved me, from the little I had seen from YouTube.

Very well said, i think you thoroughly summarized their love , their story

bachtuyet :
    fang ning died saving qiao er from a bad official who tried to rape her before and came to snatch her away again , he fell down a cliff with the bad official
    Last edited by yukii; 08-22-10 at 04:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yukii View Post
    Very well said, i think you thoroughly summarized their love , their story

bachtuyet :
    fang ning died saving qiao er from a bad official who tried to rape her before and came to snatch her away again , he fell down a cliff with the bad official
    Really? I haven't gotten that far yet. Usually in Wushu series, people who fall off cliffs/mountains never dies, they only get stronger! (My brother and I used to joke about it all the time. "Did he/she just fail off a cliff?" We said, "Don't worry, he/she'll be back better and stronger!)
    I don't make my decisions fearing fate, Fate makes his.

Quote Originally Posted by GeShiYuan View Post
    I just went back to re-watch the episodes. On episode 13 it's funny how Lin Mufei's martial arts during the duel with that other general reminds me of him as Yang Kang in LOCH. When they were fighting by hands, he was using the claw style, when he used the spears, it looks like the Yang spear..LOL
    Oh wow YES....that was a lot of fun to watch but I really hope that's not just laziness

Quote Originally Posted by kengyew View Post
    Contrary to most people here, I do like it that the General lost his feelings for Qiao Er and didn't hesitate to leave with his princess. The princess sacrificed the most for him and I think Qiao Er would not feel good if she caused any tension between them. You do feel that the General and the princess have become one in heart and soul. Any suggestion of a dilemma would have ruined that.

I'm annoyed about the over-deletion of romantic scenes between General and princess as well, but I do think they did have enough scenes to suggest their growing love and attachment. E.g. the General had the golden opportunity to kill the Mongolian general, but chose to save his princess first, which meant that he started putting her above political concerns. He also did choose to live a peaceful couple's life with his princess in a little thatched cottage although his mind was still on the country's situation especially when he bumped into one of his former soldiers. When the princess saw him practising martial arts, she started practising with him too and said she will help him in battle. He doesn't have to say out his thoughts - she knew. As for him, he was also hesitating to go into battle again because he was thinking about her feelings. That's how much they understood each other.

Near the end when they were with the performing troupe, one of the troupe leaders told the princess that there might be some feelings between the General and Qiao Er, thus the General won't drag Qiao Er into their political plans. The princess looked insecure. The General overheard and said he will ask Qiao Er directly, then challenged the troupe leader to follow him. I think he also did so because he was annoyed at the suggestion that he still had feelings for Qiao Er. By this time, notice that he stopped looking at Qiao Er forlornly nor did he even think about the old days anymore. Even when he let Qiao Er lie on his shoulder to comfort her, he withdrew when he saw his princess and stood closer to her. You do get the feeling he has firmly moved on and treasures his princess, although this was way too understated due to the deleted scenes.

From this point of view, this is an extremely good story about love, relationships and marriage. I know why LSS chose the princess role. It's a more meaty role in terms of character development from spoilt, pampered xiao jie to brave, patriotic heroine. The woman she becomes at the end deserves a single-minded focused love from the General, not the tension or insecurity that arises from any sort of dilemma. She is his soulmate and there should not be any conflict about that.

Sure, Qiao Er is the female lead and has the most screentime, but you must admit that Qiao Er's character and personality stays the same from start to finish. You don't get the feeling that she "grew up" as much as the princess. The only thing I had wished for her is that Fang Ning had lived.

Oops, sorry I wrote an essay here. That's how much this series had moved me, from the little I had seen from YouTube.
    Very well put It's amazing how you were able to analyzed the development and touching relationship between the princess and general with the little scenes that's been given to you, and not to mention you just did a screening of those scenes!! Thanks a ton for your indepth thoughts, it made the relationship a lot clearer for me

Unfortunately though, for those of us who don't understand what they are saying have to rely on their actions, thus would probably help if some of the scenes were not cut to understand their development and love.....
    I was sooooooooooooooooo awaiting for their "rumored" kissing scene!! hehehe....

I'd like to mentioned. I've never seen the actress who played Xiaomei or Edwin Siu other series, but their acting are quite good...

Oh..by the way. Tomorrow, or today in China is Yuan Hongs Birthday!!

Happy Birthday Yuan Hong!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Liu Xiao Xiao; 08-22-10 at 10:18 PM.

where can I get this series? I wish they don't have to cut out so much of YH/LSS scenes

Quote Originally Posted by Liu Xiao Xiao View Post
    Oh..by the way. Tomorrow, or today in China is Yuan Hongs Birthday!!

Happy Birthday Yuan Hong!!!!!!!
    Write this on his Sina twitter and he might see it, altho it might be lost among hundreds of other wishes.
    http://t.sina.com.cn/yuanhong

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    Write this on his Sina twitter and he might see it, altho it might be lost among hundreds of other wishes.
    http://t.sina.com.cn/yuanhong
    Hahaha...not just might, more like never will he see it...

Was it my imagination or did you guys see it also
    In the scene where the princess went to the general's room when he was packing to leave for war, he was looking at two sashes(the thing that held up his arrows) a black one(I think the princess gave this one to him) and the one that Qiao Er put his initial on. He was looking at it like he will miss both of them. Could it be possible that the general already had a slight feeling for the princess during their palace days?

Quote Originally Posted by Liu Xiao Xiao View Post
    Hahaha...not just might, more like never will he see it...

Was it my imagination or did you guys see it also
    In the scene where the princess went to the general's room when he was packing to leave for war, he was looking at two sashes(the thing that held up his arrows) a black one(I think the princess gave this one to him) and the one that Qiao Er put his initial on. He was looking at it like he will miss both of them. Could it be possible that the general already had a slight feeling for the princess during their palace days?
    I doubt that it was the princess he was missing. He knew that his name that was on the black sash was sewn by qiao er as there was a missing stroke in his name. He knew only qiao er would make. So it was probably qiao er he was missing...

Fans on Sina said the most touching phrase ever is at 7:54 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG_LbNdRG6M - the General saying to his princess "zhe ci wo gen ni zou" (means "This time I'll follow you"), it's awesome! Even Qiao Er looked so happy when she overheard that.

In Episode 29, the General wanted to die in the battlefield, but the princess tearfully persuaded him to live on. In Episode 30, when General and princess were living together in the little thatched cottage, she was happily cooking but he was still thinking of politics and gathering wood with a heavy heart, hence she decided to follow him (to battle). But by Episode 36 finale, she becomes more important to him than politics, so he says "This time I'll follow you" (to a happy peaceful life together).

Indeed "zhe ci wo gen ni zou" ("This time I'll follow you") is a phrase laden with so so much love!! Swoooon.

I still wish that they had more hot scenes together, e.g. kiss.
    Last edited by xiaolong; 08-23-10 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    Fans on Sina said the most touching phrase ever is at 7:54 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG_LbNdRG6M - the General saying to his princess "zhe ci wo gen ni zou" (means "This time I'll follow you"), it's awesome! Even Qiao Er looked so happy when she overheard that.

In Episode 29, the General wanted to die in the battlefield, but the princess tearfully persuaded him to live on. In Episode 30, when General and princess were living together in the little thatched cottage, she was happily cooking but he was still thinking of politics and gathering wood with a heavy heart, hence she decided to follow him (to battle). But by Episode 36 finale, she becomes more important to him than politics, so he says "This time I'll follow you" (to a happy peaceful life together).

Indeed "zhe ci wo gen ni zou" ("This time I'll follow you") is a phrase laden with so so much love!! Swoooon.
    OMG, yes, this is my favourite scene. He saw the princess crying and realise how much his actions were hurting her, so he decides to give up politics so that she can be happy.

I also like the end of the clip when he told the troupe members that he will take the princess and lead the life she wants with him. The troupe looked really happy for them.

I'm convinced by the finale, he loves the princess much more than he ever did love Qiao Er.
    Last edited by kengyew; 08-24-10 at 04:47 AM.

This is a stupid question, but why must he choose between the princess & politic.

This is a stupid question, but why must he choose between the princess & politic.
    In Episode 34, he did tell the princess that he knows she doesn't want to be involved in the rebellion and wants the peaceful life they had in the little cottage in the woods (see, he can read her mind), and assured her he will look into that after they assassinate the Mongol king.

The assassination attempt failed, resulting in death of Qian Qian (former weaver girl who became the Mongol king's concubine). Qiao Er angrily admonished the princess for following the General when she knew the Song cannot be restored. The princess tearfully said it's her way of loving him even though it's a cause she knows is lost. The General was touched by her words and realise that it's time for him to make sacrifices on his part for her. He also realised that his actions will only cause more suffering to the Han Chinese and innocents like Qian Qian.

Hence the marriage proposal - "zhe ci wo gen ni zou" (7.45) and "wo dai zhe gong zhu qu guo ta xiang yao de sheng huo" (14.49). I don't know about you guys, but I find these two phrases the most romantic in the series even tho they didn't kiss.
    Last edited by kengyew; 08-24-10 at 09:19 AM.

kengyew, can you translate those 2 phrase for me please