Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Chinese Americans seen in negative light.

Default Chinese Americans seen in negative light.

So I have brought up in the past the negative portrayal and discrimination against Chinese folks in general here in the US and how being Asian is a disadvantage here. Here’s a survey that supports the idea.

Good for you if you haven’t felt any negativity towards you, but it’s not a figment of imagination.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...7/MN199998.DTL

One in four Americans has "strong negative attitudes" toward Chinese Americans, would feel uncomfortable voting for an Asian American for president of the United States, and would disapprove of a family member marrying someone of Asian descent, according to a landmark national survey.
    Images
    Attitude Towards Chinese Americans in General. Chronicle ...Attitudes Toward Chinese Americans. Chronicle Graphic View Larger Images
    Chart

View Text Chart
    More News

* More high-tech cheating - and rationalizing 06.19.09
    * Sick sea lions present a mystery 06.19.09
    * UC faculty attacks regents in scathing letter 06.19.09
    * Good news for Bay Area home prices 06.18.09

The results of the telephone poll conducted in the first two weeks of March were startling, said Henry Tang, chief executive officer of the Committee of 100, a Chinese American leadership organization that sponsored the survey -- the first of its kind.

"We always knew that there was some negativity out there, but we were startled at the magnitude," he said yesterday in a telephone interview. "These observations are results of many decades . . . of stereotyping inside the American society."

Tang said it is all the more disheartening that the survey of 1,216 Americans was conducted before the recent collision between a U.S. spy plane and a Chinese fighter jet off Hainan.

"The numbers are probably higher now than when the survey was done," Tang said.

As a result of the standoff over the release of the crew of the U.S. plane, which made an emergency landing in China, talk-show hosts began calling for internment of Chinese Americans and for boycotts of Chinese restaurants.

The poll, conducted by Yankelovich Partners in collaboration with the Anti- Defamation League and the Marttila Communications Group, chiefly studied Americans' attitudes toward Chinese Americans and Asian Americans. The study found that respondents felt virtually the same about Chinese Americans as about Asian Americans in general.

NEGATIVE VIEWS

The survey found 25 percent of respondents harbor very negative attitudes and stereotypes toward Chinese Americans.

Twenty-three percent of respondents felt uncomfortable supporting an Asian American presidential candidate, compared to 15 percent for an African American, 14 percent for a woman and 11 percent for a Jew.

Twenty-four percent disapprove of intermarriage with an Asian American, second only to African Americans, while 7 percent wouldn't want to work for an Asian American chief executive officer, compared to 4 percent who would not want to work for an African American, 3 percent for a woman and 4 percent for a Jew.

The survey also concluded that 32 percent of Americans feel that Chinese Americans likely would be more loyal to China than to the United States, while 17 percent said they would be upset if a substantial number of Asian Americans moved into their neighborhood.

CONFLICTING MESSAGE

On the other hand, the vast majority said they believe Chinese Americans have strong family values and are as honest as other business people.

"Ninety percent said they think Chinese Americans have strong family values,

yet: 'You can't marry my kid.' What is that all about?" said Zenobia Lai, executive director of the Asian Law Caucus in San Francisco. " 'You can be creative, hard-working and honest, but you can't be my president.' I can't find any explanation, except that it's a kind of prejudice and racism."

Ted Wang, policy director for Chinese for Affirmative Action in San Francisco, said the survey does not surprise him. It follows other studies conducted by graduate students in recent years.

He said the low opinion of Asian Americans as leaders, in both government and business, is indicative of feelings about the community as a whole.

'PERPETUAL FOREIGNER'

"There is a perception that we are still not American, that we're the perpetual foreigner," said Wang. "That plays into the distrust of Asian Americans in the context of government and private corporations."

Wang, like Lai, said he is puzzled by the paradoxical perception about Asian Americans.

"We're held out as a model minority in the context of the American whole, but we're seen as something less than desirable and trustworthy than the average American," said Wang.

Saratoga software contractor Larry Wang, 47, said he was saddened to hear the numbers. But he said the survey is a call for Chinese Americans to become even more involved in their local communities.

"I would hope most people would feel we are part of this society. We are not foreigners and strangers," said Larry Wang. "I think we need to make more contributions to society and the community. That way we can change people's attitudes."

Dr. Albert Wang, 42, of Fremont, said Asians don't deserve the rap they're getting.

"Most Asian Americans are law-abiding, contributing members of the community," said Wang. "Maybe we could be more active, but I don't think we're deserving of this."

Both Tang and Lai believe education is key to overcoming negative feelings toward Asian Americans.

Such attitudes don't simply "spring up when people turn 25," Lai said.

School curricula should be improved to help dispel myths about Asian Americans, Tang added.

"Textbooks don't have enough presentation of Asian and Asian American history," he said. "I'm always baffled that in 2001 . . . Asian languages are not offered in more secondary schools."

Lai said perceptions must be changed. "It'll take a lot of work and commitment by both Asian Americans and non-Asian Americans," she said.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

What's new about the US and whites?

As a result of the standoff over the release of the crew of the U.S. plane, which made an emergency landing in China, talk-show hosts began calling for internment of Chinese Americans and for boycotts of Chinese restaurants.
    All the more reason China should not release the crew.

Those talk-hosts are simply using such matters as an opportunity to express and spread their racism. So China is holding US SPIES, while those self-righteous talkhosts decided that they should punish innocent civilians for... for what? For a dishonest act their country is doing?

DUUH.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

I'd really like to see the exact methodology of this "survey." Some bits of the report seems odd, in the sense that there could be very serious potential confounds to this survey.

That aside - it's not a surprise that such stereotypes exist in America, whether or not the exact statistic reported here is accurate is a different issue. America isn't exactly the most accepting country (even though it may think itself as such), and many forms of discrimination still exist in America, anything from race to sexual discrimination.

The only thing I do agree so far with the article is that it is important to educate people about different cultures and ethnicities (not just Chinese ones). Education is probably one of the best ways to conquer discrimination.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

I think the survey is biased.
    In term of income, wealth, and career, I don't see asian community is worse off than other groups.

TC, it's the perception of Americans against Chinese Americans. It has nothing to do with the social-economic wellbeing of Chin-Ams.

I'll explain that conflicting message and negative view.

Being a hard-working, law-abiding and honest person makes you likeable BUT doesn't earn you sh!t until you stop being a pussy and step up to take what you deserve. Chinese Americans, or Asian Americans / Canadians / Australians etc. are way too passive. They think they just have to work hard, be nice, stay out of troubles and people will like & respect them for all that.

How's that working out for them, huh?

You don't simply achieve better social status and respect by "educating" other people about yourselves. Most of them don't give enough of a sh!t to learn about you. You start by actually believing in your worth and showing it through your actions and words. Tell people this is how you want to be treated, and if they show disrespect, they can fvck off. If you at all think that "being Asian is a disadvantage" - how are you gonna "educate" others about how cool your background is? There is no respect for the weak & insecure. Politically incorrect in this world, but that's simply the way it is.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post

Being a hard-working, law-abiding and honest person makes you likeable BUT doesn't earn you sh!t until you stop being a pussy and step up to take what you deserve. Chinese Americans, or Asian Americans / Canadians / Australians etc. are way too passive. They think they just have to work hard, be nice, stay out of troubles and people will like & respect them for all that.

You don't simply achieve better social status and respect by "educating" other people about yourselves. Most of them don't give enough of a sh!t to learn about you. You start by actually believing in your worth and showing it through your actions and words. Tell people this is how you want to be treated, and if they show disrespect, they can fvck off. If you at all think that "being Asian is a disadvantage" - how are you gonna "educate" others about how cool your background is? There is no respect for the weak & insecure. Politically incorrect in this world, but that's simply the way it is.
    I agree with you.

It's always important to believe in your own abilities and worth (and this goes beyond racial issues, but applies in general). If you want to achieve something, go and do it.

Yes, there are stereotypes and discrimination, but you just have to work past that. Break out of the stereotypes and people will see you in a different light, and may treat you a lot more differently.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

yea if we get in troubles all time, u think we wont get negative views?

i bet theres a harder stereotype against blacks

everyone is seen in a negative view by some groups, and theres nothing u can do about it. so just live your life and dont change ur life to please other ppl
    Last edited by LuNaR; 06-22-09 at 12:30 AM.
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Except that blacks get more respect and one is even The President right now.

Thanks for proving my point.

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

are there no asian presidents?

and please, dont tell me u consider obama as the typical stereotypical "black" person that gives u fear and respect.

point not proved

That's reality and I agree!

I know there are Asian president....but in US? Enlight me!
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    That's reality and I agree!

I know there are Asian president....but in US? Enlight me!
    well how long have blacks been in the US? how big is their population compared to asians/hispanics/etc in the US? u gotta factor in everything...

not to mention, obama is half black half white and.... he technically is not american black but african black, huge difference imo in terms of this topic becuase american black are the people stereotyped(not my views) as the gangsters that u dont want to mess with, while african blacks are nice people that u can pick on

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    well how long have blacks been in the US? how big is their population compared to asians/hispanics/etc in the US? u gotta factor in everything...

not to mention, obama is half black half white and.... he technically is not american black but african black, huge difference imo in terms of this topic becuase american black are the people stereotyped(not my views) as the gangsters that u dont want to mess with, while african blacks are nice people that u can pick on
    As long as you are a black you are stereotyped, and it doesn't matter what kind of black you are. You get seen and judged by your skin colour and they don't care if you are from Africa or America, and American blacks descended from Africans so there's not too much difference.

It nearly didn't matter that Obama has got white blood in him, 'cos if he didn't say it at all, would you know he's got white blood, judging from his name and appearance?
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 06-22-09 at 05:54 AM.

Yup, and half-Asians are treated pretty much the same as Asians in other people's eyes - except for Asians.

My point is not for Asians to go looking for troubles and break the law. It is for them to lose the stupid passive / safe / nonconfrontational mindset that's ingrained into them by relatively modern Asian upbringing (other people may say traditional, but this is not true if you actually study our history). In the last few generations, Asian families have been raising a whole lot of smart, hard-working folks who are nice and likeable, but are essentially walking vaginas. To be fair, this is a yuppie middle-class problem which affects more than just Asians, but we stand out more because we're a minority.

As a starting point, when we're confronted by someone with an attitude or some stupid "joke" line on Asians, we should prepare and learn by heart snappy comebacks to hit back twice as hard. Right now, I mostly see passive little Asian pussies who ignore the "bad people" when confronted by them because that's how mummy and daddy taught them.

Our history is full of warriors. Learn and know yours. I know mine - my ancestors, the Vietnamese, were indomitable. 3000 years of Chinese invasion and we still refuse to speak the language! After all of that, I'm not gonna give any ground to some modern arsehole who thinks he/she can say or do sh!t to me or my fellow Asians and get away with it.

The passive, make no trouble mentality has always been with Chinese Americans going back to the days when the Chinese first set foot in the US. The cause isn’t recent.

It is indeed the traditional mentality that's the problem. Of course in China’s history have been instances of men of action. In every single country’s history there have been men of action. That’s because it’s almost impossible to achieve fundamental changes in society without change. It’s not that the Chinese are incapable of action, it’s that the mindset under which we are brought up discourages making trouble and being submissive to authority. Chinese teaching is foolish and ill-prepares the population for confrontation. Its utter failure when cultures clashed in the 19th century shows that. What needs to be done is for all current Chinese-American (and other Asian-American) young parents and parents-to-be to teach your children to be independent, progressive, and strong-willed. Reject the conservative Asian culture and all remnants of Confucianism.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    What's new about the US and whites?
    With this statement aren't you expressing basically the same atitude toward whites as the 25% of Americans (who if the poll were conducted with any sort of statistical validity were probably not all white) have expressed toward Chinese Americans?

Quote Originally Posted by Wanlie Tong View Post
    With this statement aren't you expressing basically the same atitude toward whites as the 25% of Americans (who if the poll were conducted with any sort of statistical validity were probably not all white) have expressed toward Chinese Americans?
    Yes, I'm racist. So what about it.

My point is not for Asians to go looking for troubles and break the law. It is for them to lose the stupid passive / safe / nonconfrontational mindset that's ingrained into them by relatively modern Asian upbringing (other people may say traditional, but this is not true if you actually study our history). In the last few generations, Asian families have been raising a whole lot of smart, hard-working folks who are nice and likeable, but are essentially walking vaginas. To be fair, this is a yuppie middle-class problem which affects more than just Asians, but we stand out more because we're a minority.

As a starting point, when we're confronted by someone with an attitude or some stupid "joke" line on Asians, we should prepare and learn by heart snappy comebacks to hit back twice as hard. Right now, I mostly see passive little Asian pussies who ignore the "bad people" when confronted by them because that's how mummy and daddy taught them.
    I fully concur with Candide on this matter.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Yes, I'm racist. So what about it.
    Nothing.
    But since being a racist is - in your book - obviously nothing to be made too much fuss about, I don't get why you complain about Whites being (as you seem to believe) so awfully prone to it.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

The only solution is to steal their women and dilute their gene pool.
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”