Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Interview with Spcnet Members

Lol QFT RWX.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Bah expressia, you didn't even include my Juicily Provocative question for TC.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Ask it in the open dear.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Quote Originally Posted by expression View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present our next interviewee --

Mr. Trien Chieu.

1. What is your real-life occupation? What do you do for a living?

I hold a master degree in mathematics and unfortunately still have no luck to land a teaching job in community college yet. Those jobs are very scarce. Currently work part time as a private math tutor.

2. What do you do as past-time, other than visiting spcnet?

Watching wuxia/ancient series, news, discovery channel, some sports, talk show, ect...

3. Why did you initially join SPCNET? What about SPCNET makes you stay?

To debate, express opinion, talk about wuxia...

4. Describe yourself. Do you think people perceive you in the same way? How well does your online personality reflect your personality in real life?

I am quiet, social conservative (believe in abstinence, against legalizing of drugs and prostitution), believe in personal responsibility and personal behavior... Like to spend time stay home watching tv/series. Only spend what I can afford, do not like to carry a balance on my credit card. I infact always pay off in time...

5. Who is your favorite male and female SPCNET member? Who would you want to meet in real life?

Happy Kadaw even though he rarely make a comment about my posts, I agree with him mostly on politics. I tend to like people who are social conservative more than liberal even though I am an atheist....

6. You seem to hold a number of views and values that differ from many. Why do you think this is the case? What or who has the biggest influence in shaping your views?

Well, I think most people here are very social liberal who are for abortion, legalizing of drug and prostitution, ect... which I strongly against...

7. How do you explain the coincidence of heavy overlap between your viewpoints and those of previous poster PeterBanh, who sadly discontinued posting before you joined this forum?

Well, I don't know. I guess he is very social conservative and you guys teamed up against him so I think he gotta quit...

8. What is the most expensive luxury item you have ever bought?

I am very careful about money so I rather pay off all my debt such as student loan than spend money on luxury. I rather save up money for rainy day. I rather spend the money that I have for penny stock hoping for a big gain than buy luxury item that I don't need. As you guy probably know, I just bought a 2004 honda civic for $14,500 including tax... That is the priciest thing I ever bought, I don't know whether you considered that as a luxury item or not.

9. If you only had three months to live, how would you spend them? Would you come to spcnet and tell the forum you are going to die? Would you ask to meet any Spcnet members? Or will you just disappear from the forum?

If that is the case then I would spend those precious time with my family as they are my only loved ones. You know, I just turned 30 and still single. I will probably posted on SpcNet, but not ask about to meet anyone here... I am always very careful about what I eat, don't do anything foolish, don't go to any dangerous neighborhood, ect... so I expect to live till 80s or 90s or more...

10. Do you really have a crush on Ken Cheng? How about Ji Gong? Have you ever had a crush on someone in real life?

No, I am not gay. However, I admire him because he is a teacher. In addition, he said he is like 35 and still single. I have a feeling that I might head down that road as well as there aren't many people out there share my conservative beliefs...

Yes, had many crushes back in high school and university but unfortunately, they don't like me so I move on with my life... Right now, I am just focusing on job searching and live a quiet life. Don't care much about relationship as I see many of my relatives and friends got burned so badly... Life is much easier as single and I like easy and simple life...
    You should consider moving to an area where there are more community colleges, ie Texas. I think Texas is a perfect fit for you since you share many traits of my friend, hence I never really had a problem with you or your post. My sister is also a teacher in Texas, but of course she teaches kids but she was offered a job as a high school teacher. My uncle also a masters graduate is now a textbook writer and a full time professor at Louisiana State University. You are experiencing structural unemployment where the jobs available don't match your skills. (Just throwing my CPA material around so I can remember this crap better for my exam). Anyway, like others, best of luck in your job hunt!
    Hatred is a curve blade. The harm we do to others, we also do to ourselves.

i tell you, some ppl argue for the sake of arguing.

Ask it in the open dear.
    We are still waiting for YOUR interview =)

To refrain from manipulation, you should post the questions you plan on answering and we decide if more should be added =) Lol.
    Hatred is a curve blade. The harm we do to others, we also do to ourselves.

i tell you, some ppl argue for the sake of arguing.

Ask it in the open dear.
    That would defeat the purpose of the interviews! We could have asked any of these questions to any of the interviewees any time in the open without this interview process. To me where the interview provides differential value is the support for anonymity behind each question, where people can ask questions that they wouldn't normally ask.

But, I think you already knew that

Mine:
    Oh my!! I can't believe it! You're in bioinformatics?! Another shocker! I thought I'd never stumble into one outside work! So how did you trip upon this field? Don't tell me you planned for it 5 years ago; that is impossible.
    You're close, I planned it about 4.5 years ago It was a very exciting period in my academic career. When I found out about this new interdisciplinary field, I was so excited that I basically said "I'm gonna do it" overnight. I had ZERO background on biology (it was the subject I hated the most in high school), but as I found out, when you put your mind to something and convince yourself to go for it, you're already half way there.

Given your zeal to clarify your gender, I'm quite certain you are indeed a guy. But that doesn't mean you're not a naughty boy.
    Good observation.

So what is WAADTHAYUP?
    Something you made up!

I was expecting more in your soup, dear.
    It'd be more interesting to see how others answer it!

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Do have shame PJ. It is Peter Banh. Not Peter Bahn. Remember what happened with the beloved Sword God, Zhuo Bufan. Are you going to make September TC/PB month now and inform us on this character?
    Sorry, I'm too lazy to look up the name of a dead user

Quote Originally Posted by S Beaver View Post
    How do you decide which ELOC to promote next? Do you suddenly have the passion for the character, randomly pick off the top of your head, carefully select from a list, or others?
    All of the above. There's no formula for ELOC selection. In the case of Liu Chuxuan, the interest accumulated slowly for several weeks. Then one night, I decided it was time to expose him as an ELOC!

Quote Originally Posted by pandamao View Post
    You should consider moving to an area where there are more community colleges, ie Texas. ...You are experiencing structural unemployment where the jobs available don't match your skills.
    WOW! What wisdom panda! Actually I did follow my job all the way from the West to the East coast... uh oh, now everyone knows where I am... what? They already know that from my Eastern cutoff times for this interview?!

Quote Originally Posted by pandamao View Post
    We are still waiting for YOUR interview =)

To refrain from manipulation, you should post the questions you plan on answering and we decide if more should be added =) Lol.
    I was thinking as the host, I am obliged to go last.

Me open to all questions. Just throw them at me after the interview. I love attention.

Disclaimer: Expression is NOT responsible for any disappearance, mysterious injury or death of any member after her interview session.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    But, I think you already knew that
    You are the worm in my brain, PJ.

Hey give me some credit will ya? I've already asked the most difficult questions, and TC kindly answered ALL of them. FEAT? No?

As my fellow moderator was commenting, this thread has the potential to be a spam center.

So please reply thoughtfully, without malice to others, and refrain from posting short conversation style answers.

It would be a shame to terminate this interview experiment, especially since it has some interesting interviews already.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    You're close, I planned it about 4.5 years ago It was a very exciting period in my academic career. When I found out about this new interdisciplinary field, I was so excited that I basically said "I'm gonna do it" overnight. I had ZERO background on biology (it was the subject I hated the most in high school), but as I found out, when you put your mind to something and convince yourself to go for it, you're already half way there.
    Dear Sir, "overnight" is extremely short-term planning indeed.
    My old colleague was like you. Except he threw himself all in for a PhD. 1-2 years into it he started hitting his head hard as he realized he'd be up in the air without the darn phd should he had just continued with his old bioinformatics job he just stumbled upon.

It'd be more interesting to see how others answer it!
    Well I did ask some interviewees your question. Like RWX. And someone else I believe...

Something you made up!
    But it does have a meaning! Why are you, a young fellow, yelling at a granny with cracking bones?!

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    As my fellow moderator was commenting, this thread has the potential to be a spam center.

So please reply thoughtfully, without malice to others, and refrain from posting short conversation style answers.

It would be a shame to terminate this interview experiment, especially since it has some interesting interviews already.

Han Solo
    Alright Han, how short is short, and how conversational is conversational? If it is based on the interviews is it okay?

Dear Sir, "overnight" is extremely short-term planning indeed.
    My old colleague was like you. Except he threw himself all in for a PhD. 1-2 years into it he started hitting his head hard as he realized he'd be up in the air without the darn phd should he had just continued with his old bioinformatics job he just stumbled upon.
    It's nice to have a PhD, so that you can put it next to your name but it's too much of a commitment for me at the moment. Besides, like Liu Chuxuan and Mei Niansheng, you never know what I might be thinking inside, or what my next move will be. Maybe one day I will get sick of bioinformatics and decide to do something completely different (such as exotic dancing ).

I was saying, that my colleague totally regretted spending time doing a PhD on a field so new and exploding that it is desperately absorbing and elevating anyone they can find.

7 years ago they built this new Bioinformatics center. They end up hiring two 35 year olds as directors for it because they couldn't find anyone else with some sort of experience. One of them only has a masters. The Biomed center across the street? You won't even find a full professor under 50.
    Last edited by expression; 09-08-08 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellamia
    PJ – One of the most down-to-earth and humble people that I have met.
    *blushes* thanks kiddo. You've got to visit me again, or we'll meet up with the others next time.

So what's with all this talk about you Leaving?

4. Have you met any SPCNET member? If so, who are they? What was your first impression of the person(s)? Was the person's real life personality similar to that of his/her online personality?

RYY and Bunny. The three of us, plus a friend of mine, hung out for a night. It was fun, and both of them are great girls. When I first met her, I was unprepared for how short Bunny was. And then, a few minutes later, I noticed she was wearing heels. (Yes, that was for you, Bunny). Both of them were pretty chill. I met up with RYY first, and we grabbed some food at Subways while waiting for Bunny, who was rather more subdued than her online counterpart at first.
    Yes the look on your face when you realized that I was wearing heels was priceless.

"At first?" What happened afterwards? Not much more after I kicked your bums at racing?

Anyway I had to say that I had a lot of fun that night, and since it was my first time meeting up with complete strangers over the net, I was a bit apprehensive at first. I still had problems matching the real life Renna to her online persona, though that's not an issue anymore.

You laugh a lot in real life. I never thought you would if I all I did was just read your posts.

"宁可我负天下人,不可天下人负我" - "Better that I betray the people of the world, than allow the people of the world to betray me." The warlord, Cao Cao, in perhaps the most deliciously brutal and ruthless quote of all time.
    Ah this quote. Yes, you never fail to remind me of this time and time again.

8. What is the first thing that attracts you to the opposite sex? What is your dream girl like?
    Was there a second part to this question? Why didn't you guys ask me that...then you'd actually get a pretty long answer.

Lightbulb Extension of interview with Jadebunny

Jadebunny:

Official question 10b. What is your Prince Charming like?

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

Woww...three interviews in a day, cool! Essie, have you heard from Jennie yet? She comes and goes, so I wonder if she has gotten the questions.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    Was there a second part to this question? Why didn't you guys ask me that...then you'd actually get a pretty long answer.
    So do tell us my dear, what is your dream guy like?

@ Rennie, I know it might be too early for this question, but what kind of lawyer do you want to be? And what kind of law do you want to practice?

@ PJ - OMG, please forgive my horrible memory, but all this time I thought PJ stands for "Precious Jesus." Olly smoke - Anyway, you're still "precious" darling.

I was saying, that my colleague totally regretted spending time doing a PhD on a field so new and exploding that it is desperately absorbing and elevating anyone they can find.
    I was saying, that it's nice to have a PhD...

The real problem with bioinformatics that I see is that it's changing all the time, and @ no time in the near future will it live up to its promises. When you graduate, what you learned will only be useful for 2-3 years. When I first got into the field, it was red hot with tons of hype. The big things on the block were stuff like sequence analysis, gene expression, and systems biology. Nowadays, only a few years later, they've pretty much disappeared from the mainstream track (this is the case @ my company), and the field already has a very different focus. It's still a very young domain, struggling to find its place and prove itself to industry. However, the potential is GREAT, and its rapid changing nature is right up my alley, and I'm loving the ride.
    Last edited by PJ; 09-08-08 at 10:20 PM.