Thread: The Deer and The Cauldron

there actually is a newer version of the series which was starred by huang xiao ming if im not mistaken it goes by the title Royal Tramp. its quite fun and its a lot more similar to the novel compared to the dicky cheung version.

just some info in case anyone is looking to watch the series.

Quote Originally Posted by teteq View Post
    there actually is a newer version of the series which was starred by huang xiao ming if im not mistaken it goes by the title Royal Tramp. its quite fun and its a lot more similar to the novel compared to the dicky cheung version.

just some info in case anyone is looking to watch the series.
    Yeah. I've watched both of them, really liked it! Seeing how the series portray WXB as a young grown man, to reading the novels and keeping in mind that WXB is only about 14-15 years old really taking me aback lol. However when I'm reading it, I always try to imagine WXB as older, being 17-18, or put the image of the actor face to WXB's name. I'd rather not think a teenage boy who's just 14-15 being extremely mischievous and daring ;D .__.

Default Chapter 34 - Part 7

Wow! I did not expect there are many new posts here. Anh, you are welcome. Crazee, Kangxi did learn the secret from the real Empress Dowager, but she did not know how to open the cover to get into the map. Ycb, my apology. As I mentioned earlier, in this particular project, between 'grammatically correct' versus 'as close as possible to the original', I chose the latter. Teteq, thanks for helping me. Smurf, I thought his name was Yang Guang, and he argued 'first' ... turns out his name was Yang Guang 'xian'. Athlon, I have never seen any adaptation, so no comment from me. Crydee, but WXB still remembered Ah Ke more ... Drak, welcome! I guess we are here because of similar experience: I read Minford's, but did not feel it was wuxia. Thanks everybody, for having a lively discussion.

Shuang’er took out a pack of thin cotton paper, there were more than thirty sheets altogether, each sheet had some curvy Manchurian characters. She gave the papers to Wei Xiaobao. “What is it?” Wei Xiaobao asked, “Who wrote it?”

“I did,” Shuang’er replied.

Wei Xiaobao was pleasantly surprised. “Turns out you know Manchurian characters,” he said, “You were deceiving me a few days ago.” While saying that, he stretched out his arms to hug her.

Shuang’er hastily moved aside to evade. “I didn’t deceive you,” she said with a laugh, “I don’t know Manchurian characters. I only put these thin sheets on the map and traced every stroke every line.”

“Ingenious plan, ingenious plan,” Wei Xiaobao delightedly said, “I’ll summon the Manchurian secretary to read it and translated it into our Chinese characters, and then we’ll know what’s written on the map. Good Shuang’er, precious Shuang’er, you are very attentive, you knew this map is a matter of great concern; hence you divided these Manchurian characters into several dozen sheets. I am going to ask several different people, so that the secret won’t be leaked.”

Shuang’er smiled and said, “Good Xianggong, smart Xianggong, as soon as you saw it you have guessed my intention correctly.”

Wei Xiaobao laughed and said, “It’s a great success, you deserve a kiss.” As soon as Shuang’er heard him, she turned around and leaped, fleeing outside the room.

When Wei Xiaobao went out to the hall, he ordered one of his personal guards to summon the Valiant Cavalry Brigade’s Manchurian clerk. He took out a sheet from his pocket and asked him the meaning of the Manchurian characters written on it. The clerk replied, “Reporting to Dutong [commander] Daren: these are ‘Argun River’, ‘Jing Qili River’, Huma Erwoji Mountain’, they all are our Manchuria place name outside the Pass.”

“What ‘Jili Gulu’ [lit. gibberish] River, ‘Huni Made’ [lit. shouting at your mother] Mountain? Those are so vulgar,” Wei Xiaobao said.

The clerk said, “Reporting to Dutong Daren: Argun River, Jing Qili River, Huma Erwoji Mountain are great rivers and great mountain of our Manchuria.”

“Where are they?” Wei Xiaobao asked.

The clerk replied, “Reporting to Dutong Daren: they are at the extreme north outside the Pass.”

Wei Xiaobao was secretly delighted, “That’s right,” he mused, “These places must be where the Manchu people hiding their treasure. They moved the gold, silver and valuables outside the Pass, naturally the farther they hide it the better.” He said, “Write these Jili Gulu River and Huni Made Mountain names in Chinese characters.” Following his order, the clerk wrote the names.

Wei Xiaobao took out another sheet and asked, “And what river and what mountain are these?”

The clerk replied, “Reporting to Dutong Daren: this is Silimu River, Amur Mountain and Amur River.”

“Damn it,” Wei Xiaobao cursed, “It’s getting stranger and stranger! Are you sure you are not just speaking nonsense? Why didn’t you pick good names, but picked something like Xini Made [lit. admiring your mother], Ama’er [‘amah’], Aba’er [‘abba’]?”

The clerk’s face was filled with terror, he bowed in respect and said, “Lowly officer does not dare to speak nonsense. In Manchurian, those names have different meaning.”

“Alright,” Wei Xiaobao said, “You write down those Ama’er, Aba’er, and that Xini Made River in Han characters on these papers. Later I am going to ask other people, I want to see whether you are talking drivel or not.”

“Yes, yes,” the clerk said, “Even if lowly officer had gargantuan nerve, I would not dare to talk drivel with Dutong Daren.”

“Ha, do you have gargantuan nerve?” Wei Xiaobao said.

“No, no,” the clerk replied, “Lowly officer is a coward like a mouse.”

Wei Xiaobao roared in laughter. “Guard,” he called, “Go get fifty taels for this friend who is a coward like a mouse. Hey, if you ever mention these Xini Made River, Xini Bade Mountain to other people and I find out about it, I will immediately take your fifty taels back, both principal and interest, a total of a hundred fifty taels.”

The clerk was overjoyed at the unexpected good news; his monthly soldier’s pay was no more than twelve taels of silver. Dutong Daren bestowed fifty taels, busily he bowed to express thanks and repeatedly promised, “Lowly officer will definitely not dare to talk at random.” While thinking, “With fifty taels capital you want a hundred taels interest. My mother, what a heavy interest. Even if you cut my head, I won’t be able to pay it.”

For the next several days, Wei Xiaobao had asked around seventy, eighty names. When he looked at the map, he found out that those eight small circles in four colors were located north of Heilongjiang, right where Amur River and Heilongjiang [lit. black dragon river] converged, due north of Huma Erwoji Mountain, and northwest of Amur River. There were two Manchu characters written among the eight small circles, when translated into Han characters, they became ‘Lu Ding Shan’ [Deer and Cauldron Mountain], three characters.

Wei Xiaobao committed the map and the places’ names into memory, he also told Shuang’er to memorize it. Thinking that if these pieces of skin were taken away by other people, inevitably the secret would be leaked; thereupon he threw it into the stove to burn it. Seeing the blazing fire, he felt an unspeakable joy in his heart. He thought, “Shifu told me to divide it into several packages and bury it in several different places, but other people might still be able to find it. Right now it is buried in my heart; even if they dig my heart out, they won’t find the map inside. It’s just that naturally I must not let anybody dig my heart out.”

Turning his head around, he saw the flame illuminated Shuang’er’s face; she looked rosy and very tender and beautiful. “My little Shuang’er is very beautiful,” he praised in his heart.

Being stared by him, Shuang’er was bashful, she lowered her head. “Good Shuang’er,” Wei Xiaobao said, “We have pieced together the map, we have found out the places’ names, those Xini Made River, Xini Bade Mountain, have also been stored in our hearts; don’t you think it was a great success?”

Shuang’er hastily leaped back, and said with a laugh, “Oh no, no … you don’t.”

“What do you mean I don’t?” Wei Xiaobao asked.

Shuang’er laughed while rushing out through the door. “I don’t know,” she said.

Wei Xiaobao laughed and ran after her. “You don’t know, but I do,” he said.

Suddenly he saw a personal guard hurriedly walked in and said, “Reporting to Dutong: His Majesty summons you, he wants you to come quickly.”

Wei Xiaobao made faces to Shuang’er, and went out to the Palace. He saw a row of Guards of Honor lined up at the Palace gate, Kangxi’s imperial chariot was just coming out from the Palace. Wei Xiaobao circled behind the cavalcade, and knelt and kowtowed by the road. Kangxi saw him; he smiled and said, “Xiao Guizi, come with me to see the foreigners testing the cannons.”

Wei Xiaobao was delighted. “That’s great,” he said, “They managed to finish the cannon very quickly.”

The party arrived at the Long Tan [dragon pool] Artillery Field inside the Zuo’anmen [lit. left peaceful gate]. Nan Huairen and Tang Ruowang had already knelt far away by the street to welcome the imperial chariot. “Rise up, rise up,” Kangxi said, “Where are the cannon?”

Nan Huairen said, “Reporting to Your Holiness[8]: The cannon are outside the city. Respectfully request Your Holiness to take the trouble to visit and do the inspection.”

“Very well!” Kangxi said. He stepped out from the chariot. Surrounded by the Imperial Bodyguards, he went out the Zuo’an Gate and saw three cannon arranged in a row.

Kangxi approached the cannon; he saw the cannon’s body was shiny gunmetal blue, the barrel was thick, the wheel, axle and so on were all built extremely solid. Kangxi was delighted. “Very good,” he said, “Let us try firing the cannon several times.”

Nan Huairen personally loaded gunpowder into the barrel, and packed it solid with iron rod. Picking up a cannonball, he loaded it into the barrel; and then he turned around and said, “Reporting to Your Majesty: this cannon’s firing range is a li and a half; the target has been set up over there.”

Following his finger, Kangxi looked up into the distance. He saw about a li and a half away, there were ten earthen blocks standing side by side. He nodded and said, “Good, you may fire.”

Nan Huairen said, “Respectfully request Your Majesty to take the trouble to move ten zhang away; that way, you will be completely safe.” Kangxi smiled and withdrew to get out of the way.

Wei Xiaobao volunteered, “Let your servant fire the first shot.” Kangxi nodded. Wei Xiaobao walked toward the cannon’s side and said to Nan Huairen, “Foreign Old Friend, you aim, I ignite.”

Nan Huairen had already calibrated the muzzle’s height, this time he checked the alignment one more time. Wei Xiaobao received the flare; he lighted the fuse and hurriedly jumped back. Casting the flare aside, he lifted his hands to tightly cover his ears.

There was a flash, followed by a loud explosion, black smoke rose up, and then one earthen block in the distant exploded, a column of flame ascended to the sky. Turned out there was a large amount of sulfur hidden inside the earthen block. As the cannonball landed, it ignited the sulfur so that the power of the cannon appeared more astonishing.

The crowd of sergeants cheered in one voice, they turned toward Kangxi and shouted, “Long live, long live, long, long live[9]!”

The three cannon were fired in turn, altogether they shot ten cannonballs, and hit seven earthen blocks; only three blocks were not hit squarely, they leaned sideways, but did not explode. Kangxi was extremely pleased, he bestowed great rewards to Nan Huairen and Tang Ruowang; he promoted Nan Huairen as the Supervisor of the Imperial Observatory on the spot. Tang Ruowang was originally a high-ranking official of the Minister of Ceremonies department and a government communication envoy, with the title ‘Tong Xuan Jiao Shi’ [see Part 6]. He was removed from office during Oboi’s reign. Later on Kangxi reinstated his office, but changed his title to ‘Tong Wei Jiao Shi’ [lit. master/teacher who understands profound matter]. Kangxi’s given name was ‘Xuan Ye’ [lit. mysterious blaze of fire]; therefore, the character ‘Xuan’ became taboo and must not be used for other people. The three cannon were dubbed the ‘Shen Wu Da Pao’ [Cannon of Supernatural Might].

Returning to the Palace, Kangxi summoned Wei Xiaobao into the Study Room; with a grin on his face he said, “Xiao Guizi, we will work around the clock to build several hundred ‘Shen Wu Da Pao’, set them up in a row, and damn blast that old fellow Wu Sangui. Do you think he will still rebel?”

Wei Xiaobao laughed and said, “With divine strategy and amazing calculation, even if there was no ‘Shen Wu Da Pao’, to Your Majesty, dealing that old fellow Wu Sangui is as easy as stretching a hand and grab it. But with the ‘Shen Wu Da Pao’, it’s like … like … like a dragon that has grown wings.” He was about to say ‘like a tiger that has grown wings’; but then he thought that comparing an emperor with a tiger was very disrespectful.

Kangxi laughed and said, “You said those words without any knowledge. The dragon can fly in the sky, why would it need wings?”

Wei Xiaobao laughed. “Yes, yes,” he said, “It can be seen clearly that even without the cannon, Your Majesty still does not fear Wu Sangui.”

Kangxi laughed, “You always know what to say,” he commented. Suddenly he frowned and said, “Speaking of dragon, I remember something: Wu Sangui colludes with Mongolia, Tibet and Luocha Country, and also with a certain Shen Long Jiao [Divine Dragon Cult]. That old wh0re to committed treason and heresy by masquerading the Empress Dowager, she was sent by Shen Long Jiao to bring filth and chaos in the Palace, wasn’t she?”

“Exactly,” Wei Xiaobao replied.

Kangxi said, “If I don’t catch this rebel and cut her to pieces, how can I avenge the enmity of my queen mother’s murder and the disgrace of Empress Dowager’s imprisonment?” Speaking to this point, he gnashed his teeth, obviously he was extremely enraged.

Wei Xiaobao thought, “From the tone of his voice, the Emperor wants me to catch the old wh0re. But that old wh0re is with that short and fat Thin Toutuo; I don’t know where they are right now. To catch this person is indeed not easy.” In his hesitation, he did not dare to say anything.

Sure enough, Kangxi said, “Xiao Guizi, this matter is top secret, other than sending you to deal with it, I can’t send anybody else."

“Yes,” Wei Xiaobao said, “I was just wondering where did that old wh0re run away? That meatball lover [orig. male adulterer] of hers seems to know some witchcraft.”

Kangxi said, “If the old wh0re ran to some remote mountain or desolate land, naturally catching her will not be easy. But there is a clue you may follow. You lead the troops, go and eliminate the Divine Dragon Evil Cult, arrest the evil cult’s henchmen, interrogate them one by one, you will most likely find the old wh0re’s whereabouts.” Noticing the awkward expression on Wei Xiaobao’s face, he said, “I know this matter is like fishing a needle from the sea, it is very difficult to do. However, one, you are very competent, two, you are a person with tremendous good luck. Other people may find some matters to be extremely thorny, but in your hands, oftentimes it turned into instant success. I won’t set any time limit for you, I will send you outside the Pass first to handle several matters for me. Once you are out of the Pass, you mobilize your force at Fengtian [modern day Shenyang, Liaoning province], and wait for an opportunity to break into Shen Long Island.”

Wei Xiaobao thought, “The Emperor is licking my behind. If I did not accept this mission, it would be inappropriate.” He said, “Your servant’s good fortune was bestowed by Your Majesty. Your Majesty has shown me particularly great favor, naturally my portion of good luck is also great. I only hope that by relying on Your Majesty’s flood of good luck this time, I can capture the old wh0re.”

Hearing that he was willing to go, Kangxi was overjoyed. He patted Wei Xiaobao’s shoulder and said, “Although taking revenge and wiping out old grudge is important, compared to national security, it is a small matter. If you can capture the old wh0re, no doubt it would be the best; but the most important matter is still breaking through the Shen Long Island. Xiao Guizi, outside the Pass was where our Great Qing’s dragon arose. Shen Long Jiao is staring maliciously from the side. If they join hands with Luocha people and occupy the area outside the Pass, the Great Qing will lose its foundation. By breaking the Shen Long Island, it’s just like you are cutting off the stretched-out five fingers of the Luocha people.”

[8] Orig. ‘shengshang’ [lit. ‘the saint’], courtier’s or minister’s form of address for the current Emperor.

[9] Orig. ‘wan shui’ – ten thousand years.

First off thanks for the new chapter~! and secondly...I didn't actually read the books by Minford, but rather skimmed on it. Like checking a merchandise before buying. Sorry if it wasn't clear .__.

After watching some adaptations, I gotta say reading the original is still as fun! Lol.

Thanks Foxs

Quote Originally Posted by Drak17 View Post
    First off thanks for the new chapter~! and secondly...I didn't actually read the books by Minford, but rather skimmed on it. Like checking a merchandise before buying. Sorry if it wasn't clear .__.

After watching some adaptations, I gotta say reading the original is still as fun! Lol.
    Yep... no doubt about it. The translations is still the best.
    The serials sort of supplement only...missing here and there and I realised that only on reading the translations. It's the same for the other JY stories as well. I finally understood what my brother was telling me saying that I won't be able to enjoy the story unless I read it. I used to see him laughing and giggling when reading DOMD and being very young at that time I thought he was crazy ... not crazee mind you heh heh heh.

Thanks Foxs...another adventure comming, and I still love shuang er...only even more.
    cheerio..

I think my heart would skip a beat to have the 1000 piece puzzle burnt right after completion.

It is a bit sad to see that WXB and Kangxi's relationship has become more distant (very subtle).

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post

It is a bit sad to see that WXB and Kangxi's relationship has become more distant (very subtle).
    OMG smurf120.. you're totally right!!! WXB and Kangxi are slowly drifting apart. It's like each of them has grown, not only in age, but also in power and influence, but in different ways. They're definitely no longer the clueless, naive kids we found in the early part of the story.

Just curious... does anyone have any idea how old WXB and Kangxi are at this point of the story? I.e. approximately how many years since they first met? Anyone keeps track?

Also, can't help but compare WXB with Forrest Gump... heh heh... in a way, both of them have this unconditional loyalty thing towards their friends... and they make friends indiscriminately without regards to people's background (ethnicity, political affiliation, etc.) - heck, WXB would even say he was born and raised in a brothel without batting an eyelid. Both of them don't have much in the way of talent or skills, but they both have extreme luck. Yet while Gump is honest, selfless and sincere, WXB is one conniving, selfish and manipulative jack@ss

When foxs has finished translating, I'm so gonna read through the whole story again from the beginning.
    Last edited by muliono; 04-12-12 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crazee View Post
    Thanks Foxs...another adventure comming, and I still love shuang er...only even more.
    Yup. The story is indeed really funny to read, very mischievous Wei XiaoBao. Me too! I love Shuang'er, seeing how the 2008 DODM portrait her and comparing it to the novel, I say they did a pretty good job at it. And He Zhouyan fits Shuang'er character very well. Too bad because of the Chinese censorship, the director cut some scenes out. ):

I don't think Kangxi was ever naive.

I like the TVB 1984 version of the final event in the unravelling of the mystery of the 24 scriptures. In that version, Shuang'er took her tracings and enquired about each Manchu character independently with different people. That seems a more secure way, but I don't know if that is actually feasible - i.e. whether there is a 1-1 correspondence between Manchu and Han characters.

I think WXB should have checked each place name separately with different people instead of just one person. Of course he could just have that clerk killed.

Default Chapter 34 - Part 8

Drak, my apology, you are NOT one of us. Anh, you are most welcome. Crazee, hence the reason I never liked to watch adaptation. It was fun for the first time (LOCH and ROCH, early 80s), but after that I lost interest. Too much deviation from the original story. Smurf, Muliono, to be honest with you, I fail to see why you said Kangxi and Wei Xiaobao became more distant? Do you care to elaborate? True that as soon as WXB found out Xiao Xuanzi was the Emperor, their relationship changed. But after that, at least to this point of the story, they remained close. CFT, I agree. I never see Kangxi as naive. On the contrary, I think he was more advanced than his actual age. I would surmise that by this time he was not even 20 yet. About the Manchurian names, I believe the text never said that he asked just one clerk.

Wei Xiaobao laughed and said, “Precisely.” Suddenly he raised his voice and cried out, “Ahluowu! Guluhu!” while lifting up his right hand and fling it around randomly.

Kangxi laughed and asked, “What are you doing?”

Wei Xiaobao replied, “Luocha Country broke its five fingers, naturally they are crying in pain in Luocha language.”

Kangxi burst out laughing. “I promote you to be Viscount First Class,” he said, “And I bestow you the title ‘Ba Tu Lu’ [I think this is Manchurian word, ba – long for/wish/close to/next to, tu – diagram/map/drawing, lu – crass/stupid/rude]. Your mission will be to mobilize the troops and horses stationed to guard Fengtian, to eradicate the rebels of Shen Long Island.”

Wei Xiaobao kneeled down to express his gratitude; he said, “Your servant’s official position is rising higher and higher, my portion of good fortune is also increasing bigger and bigger.”

Kangxi said, “This matter must be kept without any fanfare to guard against Wu Sangui, Shang Kexi and the others knew about it, and then their hearts would be troubled and they may rebel earlier. Everything must be done ‘the gods did not know, the ghosts did not realize’; Shen Long Jiao must be destroyed in complete surprise. Let’s do it this way: tomorrow I will send you as an imperial envoy minister to offer sacrifice at Changbai Mountain. Changbai Mountain is the sacred place where my Aisin Gioro [Manchu: Golden Clan] ancestors were born. I am sending you to offer sacrifice to my ancestors, nobody would suspect anything.”

Wei Xiaobao said, “With Your Majesty’s divine strategy, the Shen Long Jiao’s Jiaozhu’s long life will be the same as the insect’s.”

“What do you mean his long life will be the same as the insect’s?” Kangxi asked.

Wei Xiaobao said, “That Jiaozhu’s life span will be no more than a small insect’s; he won’t live much longer.”

In Kangxi’s presence Wei Xiaobao braced himself to accept this mission; however, thinking about Cult Leader Hong’s unsurpassed martial art skill, about the martial art masters surrounding him like a cloud, while he would bring some troops who could only whirling the sabers in their hands or shooting some arrows to attack Shen Long Island, he knew that most likely it would be Wei Xiaobao whose long life was the same as the insect’s.

Leaving the Palace, Wei Xiaobao was depressed. But then he had a thought, “Laozi definitely won’t go to Shen Long Island. Even if Xiao Xuanzi treated me better than this, it’s not worth losing my life in vain for his sake. My life as a government official has reached the end; as soon as I am outside of the Pass I’d better seize the opportunity to go to Lu Ding Shan north of Heilong Jiang, to dig the buried treasure, to obtain great wealth in one stroke, and then quietly return to Yunnan, to get Ah Ke’s hand in marriage. Henceforth I will hide: I will gamble and watch the play every day; won’t I be happy, free and unfettered?”

Thinking about this, his anxiety was somewhat reduced. He thought, “Although running away just before the battle is not so brilliant on the face, plus I am turning my back on Xiao Xuanzi’s great trust, but this is a matter of life and death; how can I play a joke on it? After digging the buried treasure, I won’t dig and cut Manchu people’s dragon vein; this way I am also doing the right thing for Xiao Xuanzi.”

During the audience with the Emperor the next day, Kangxi proclaimed a decree, raising Wei Xiaobao’s official position, and sending him to Changbai Mountain to offer sacrifice to the ancestors. After the court was adjourned, one after another the nobles and the ministers came to congratulate him.

Songgotu’s friendship with him stood out from the masses; he especially accompanied Wei Xiaobao back to his viscount mansion to continue their chat. Seeing Wei Xiaobao’s enthusiasm was somewhat waning, he said, “Xiongdi, going to Changbai Mountain to offer sacrifice is naturally not as lucrative as going to Yunnan to knock on Ping Xi Wang Mansion’s bamboo pole; the difference is as far as the Heaven from the Earth. No wonder you are not too interested.” [See Chapter 12 and the discussion following it on ‘knocking the bamboo pole’.]

Wei Xiaobao said, “Be honest with Dage, Xiongdi is a southerner, I am always most afraid of cold. As soon as I am thinking about the world of ice and snow outside the Pass, I am already shivering in cold. Tonight I must have my stove burning high and roast myself well.”

Songgotu burst into loud laughter; he said consolingly, “You don’t have to worry about that, when I go home, I will send you a fire sable overcoat here, so that Xiongdi can resist cold. Inside the warm sedan chair put some coal pots, then you won’t feel too cold. Xiongdi, going on a mission outside the Pass still has some benefits.”

“This Liaodong is a place where people could freeze their noses off,” Wei Xiaobao said, “How can I reap any benefit? Would Dage please advise?”

Songgotu said, “Our Liaodong has three treasures …”

“That’s great,” Wei Xiaobao said, “Three treasures. If I can get one, I can spend it all.”

Sonngotu laughed. “There is a saying in Liaodong, I wonder if Xiongdi has heard it?” he said, “It is called ‘Guandong[10] has three treasures: ginseng, mink fur and wula grass’.”

“I have never heard it,” Wei Xiaobao said, “Ginseng and mink fur are valuable goods. But that wula grass, what’s so valuable about it?”

“Wula grass is Kuhaha’s treasure,” Songgotu explained, “When winter arrives in Guandong, the weather gets cold, the ground gets frozen. Poor people cannot afford mink fur, they cannot take warm sedan chair to travel; if their feet are frozen, who would carry Wei Xiongdi’s sedan chair? You can find Wula grass everywhere in Guandong, as long as you pull a handful, dry it in the sun, and pound it into pulp, you can stuff it into your shoes, and your feet will very nice and warm.”

“So that’s how it is,” Wei Xiaobao said, “Wula grass is a treasure, but we have no need of it. But there is no harm in getting several dozen shoulder pole buckets of ginseng and several thousand mink fur to bring back, and then I can divide it to relatives and friends.” Songgotu roared in laughter again.

While they were chatting, Wei Xiaobao’s personal guard came to report, saying that Fujian’s Navy Tidu [local commander] Shi Lang had come to pay his respect. Wei Xiaobao immediately remembered Zheng Keshuang had mentioned that Shi Lang was a martial art expert from Wuyi Pai [See also note 2 of Chapter 26], who had taught Zheng Keshuang some martial art; later on he surrendered to the Great Qing. He could not stop his face from changing as he thought about the possibility of this man surnamed Shi was sent by Zheng Keshuang to make things difficult for him. Feng Xifan was so vicious and formidable, this man surnamed Shi must also be difficult to deal with. “What does he want?” he asked the personal guard, “I don’t want to see him.”

The personal guard complied and went out to inform the guest. Wei Xiaobao still did not feel at ease; he called another personal guard, “Quickly summon Ah San and Ah Liu [ol’ third and ol’ six, respectively].” Ah San and Ah Liu were Fat Toutuo and Lu Gaoxuan’s fictitious names.

“What kind of friendship Wei Xiongdi have with Shi Jinghai[11]?” Songgotu asked.

Wei Xiaobao was rather shaken. “Shi … Shi Jing what?” he asked.

Songgotu said, “Shi Tidu was conferred the nobility title ‘Jing Hai Jiang Jun’ [lit. the general who pacifies the ocean], don’t Wei Xiongdi know him?”

Wei Xiaobao shook his head, “Never met him,” he said.

While they were speaking, Fat Toutuo and Lu Gaoxuan, two people arrived; they stood behind Wei Xiaobao. With these two great martial art masters to protect him, Wei Xiaobao felt a bit better.

The personal guard returned to the inner hall, carrying a tray in his hands. He reported, “General Shi presents the Viscount this gift.”

Wei Xiaobao saw an open brocade box on the tray, inside the box there was a white jade bowl, and inside the bowl there were several rows of characters engraved on the surface. The jade bowl was pure white, it was of extremely fine quality jade, the engraving was also very exquisite. Wei Xiaobao thought, “He gives me a present, apparently he is not here to deal with me; but I must still guard against him.”

Songgotu laughed and said, “This gift is not light, the meticulous effort Old Shi spent must not be small either.”

“What?” Wei Xiaobao asked.

Songgotu explained, “The engraving inside the jade bowl has your, laodi[12], respected name, and the four characters ‘jia guan jin jue’ [to confer a title of official position/to be promoted], and then below it says ‘Junior Shi Lang respectfully present’.”

Wei Xiaobao muttered to himself, “This man and I are total strangers, yet he is this courteous to me, he must be harboring malicious intentions.”

Songgotu laughed and said, “The Old Shi’s intention cannot be more clear. He wholeheartedly wants to attack Taiwan, to avenge his father and mother, wife and children. These last several years is always entangling us, wants us to talk to the Emperor on his behalf. For this matter, he has spent if not twenty thousand taels, then at least fifteen thousand taels. He knew Xiongdi is His Majesty’s most favorite person; naturally he is here to get the right social connection.”

Wei Xiaobao was greatly relieved. “So that’s how it is,” he said, “Why is he bending on attacking Taiwan?”

Songgotu said, “The Old Shi was originally a great general under Zheng Chenggong. Later on Zheng Chenggong suspected that he was about to rebel, hence he was going to be arrested, but he managed to escape. Zheng Chenggong was so angry that he had Shi Lang’s father and mother, wife and children …” he ran his right palm across his neck to the left, signaling execution; and then he continued, “This man is very skilled in naval warfare. After surrendering to the Great Qing, he led a battle against Zheng Chenggong, and unexpectedly he defeated Zheng Chenggong.”

Wei Xiaobao stuck out his tongue. He said, “Even such a hero and warrior like Zheng Chenggong also suffered defeat in his hands; this kind of person, I simply must see.” Turning to his personal guard he said, “If General Shi has not left, tell him that I am coming out.” Turning to Songgotu, he said, “Dage, please come with me to see him.”

Although he had Fat and Lu, two people to protect him, there was still dread toward Shi Lang in his heart. Songgotu was an imperial court minister of the first-pin rank; with him by his side, supposedly Shi Lang would not dare to play rough without careful consideration. Songgotu laughed and nodded. Hand in hand they entered the main hall.

Shi Lang was sitting on the farthest seat on the right, the lowest seat. As soon as he heard the sound of boots, he stood up. Seeing the two people walking from the inner hall, he immediately took several steps forward and bowed respectfully. “Suo Daren, Wei Daren, lowly officer Shi Lang pays his respect,” he called in a loud and clear voice.

Wei Xiaobao cupped his fist to return the propriety and said with a laugh, “I do not dare to accept the honor. You are a general, I am only a small Dutong [commander]; how can I accept the propriety? Please sit down, please sit down; everybody should not use too much formality.”

Shi Lang respectfully said, “Wei Daren is so modest, you make other people full of admiration. Wei Daren is a first-class Viscount, your nobility rank is a lot higher than lowly officer; much less Wei Daren rises to your current rank when you are still young. To be conferred the title ‘Gong’ [Duke] or ‘Hou’ [Marquis] is just a matter of time; in less than ten years, Wei Daren will surely be conferred the title ‘Wang’ [king].”

Wei Xiaobao laughed aloud and said, “If that day indeed comes, I should thank your precious words [orig. golden mouth].”

“Old Shi,” Songgotu said with a laugh, “Being in Beijing these past several years, you have learned how to be oily-mouthed and talk smoothly, unlike when you first came to Beijing, you offended people left and right.”

“Lowly officer is an uncouth military man; I did not understand the compass and set square,” Shi Lang replied, “It was entirely due to all Daren who tolerated me graciously that now lowly officer can thoroughly rectify my misdeeds.”

“You have learned everything well,” Songgotu said with a laugh, “Unexpectedly you knew that Wei Daren is His Majesty’s most favorite officer. By using him to get the right social connection, your chance of success is better than if you ask ten or even a hundred princess and dukes, or various ministers.”

Shi Lang bowed respectfully to the two people and said, “For all two Daren’s advice and instructions, lowly officer will be eternally grateful.”

Wei Xiaobao sized Shi Lang up; he estimated his age to be about fifty, his physique seemed to be solid and his eyes bright, indeed he had a heroic aura around him. However, his countenance was wan and sallow, rather like someone who was weary of the wind and the dust. “General Shi gave me that jade bowl; it is very valuable,” he said, “But there is something that is not so good.”

Shi Lang was quite terrified; he sprang up immediately. “Lowly officer is a muddle head,” he said, “I wonder which part of the jade bowl is defective; would Daren please advise?”

Wei Xiaobao laughed, “There is no defect,” he said, “It’s just that it is too much of a liability. When I eat rice, I would hold it in my hand with fear and trepidation. I am scared that if I am not careful, I would shatter the rice bowl. Ha ha, ha ha …”

Songgotu also roared in laughter. Shi Lang had no choice but to accompany by letting out some hollow laugh.

“When did General Shi arrive in Beijing?” Wei Xiaobao asked.

“Lowly officer has already been in Beijing for three whole years,” Shi Lang replied.

Wei Xiaobao was surprised. “General Shi is Fujian’s Navy Tidu,” he said, “You are not leading the troops in Fujian, but having fun in Beijing instead, why is that? Ah, I know, General Shi surely has a good sister in Beijing brothel, with whom you are reluctant to part.”

“Wei Daren is teasing me,” Shi Lang said, “His Majesty summoned lowly officer to the Capital to discuss the strategy to pacify Taiwan. Lowly officer is muddleheaded, I failed the imperial decree, all along His Majesty has not instructed me to proceed. Lowly officer stays in the Capital, it is precisely to wait respectfully on His Majesty’s order.”

[10] Northeast China/Manchuria. Lit. ‘east of the Pass’ (Shanhai Pass).

[11] Jing – quiet/peaceful/to make tranquil/to pacify, Hai – ocean/sea.

[12] Lit. old younger brother, an affectionate form of address to a much younger man.
    Last edited by foxs; 04-14-12 at 09:35 AM.

Thanks for the update foxs!!

foxs & CFT: I guess you're right about Kangxi never being naive. I was probably too hasty in saying so. But don't you think Kangxi now is sharper and more astute than during the early part of the story? In the early part of the story, he couldn't see through the empress dowager switch trick, didn't realize that he was being taught martial arts only perfunctorily, and was totally at a loss on how to handle Oboi. But now, he could even hide spies within the princess' entourage to Yunnan without WXB knowing (WXB was supposed to be "the" espionage mission - it's like hiding a spy team within a spy team - that's some pretty advanced maneuver). I just get the impression that Kangxi is a lot more confident in carrying out his duties as emperor now, no?

Also, I find it hard to believe that Kangxi smuggled spies within WXB's entourage to Yunnan just to help spy on Wu Sangui - maybe the spies were also supposed to spy on the main spy (WXB). Couldn't help but think: didn't Kangxi trust WXB? Maybe Kangxi already knew abt WXB hiding Tian Di Hui people and Jiunan in his entourage.

And why did WXB give the leather pieces to Chen Jinnan while all this time remaining completely mum about it to Kangxi? It's not like WXB didn't know that giving the leather pieces to any enemy of Qing would totally seal Kangxi's fate.

So somehow I just got this vibe that WXB and Kangxi are drifting apart - maybe I'm wrong. But I think I can be pretty sure of one thing: there is an undercurrent tension that is growing that can potentially rift WXB and Kangxi apart. WXB is making more and more friends with Qing's enemies - he can't continue standing on two boats forever - he's going to have to choose side at some point. I know this hardly the first time, but WXB is now harboring thoughts to leave the palace (i.e. Kangxi) for good again.

@Muliono, yeah I couldn't agree more. Like there is saying something about "befriending an emperor is like befriending a tiger" or something like that. Now both Kangxi and Xiaobao is getting older and more mature, they can't afford to fool around like old times. Kangxi might be more serious and concerning about his kingdom, not that he hadn't before. Xiaobao also know that he can't stay by Kangxi side forever, hence he like the freedom of doing whatever he want.

Well at least now Xiaobao have a dependable officer to handle naval affair for Shen Long Jiao, and he gets to reunited with Fang Yi! lol. Not sure how she gonna face him now, since last time she tricked him. );

Thanks foxs for the new chapter!! Appreciated that you still continue to translate it for us ^-^.

Thanks Foxs

Thanks foxs.....something's funny with spcnet. Logged in 3 times and typed a whole lot of comments and when I send, it ask me to log in again....

Well, I suppose maybe my comments are too long.....heh heh heh, so I keep it short.
    cheerio..

Well at least now Xiaobao have a dependable officer to handle naval affair for Shen Long Jiao, and he gets to reunited with Fang Yi! lol. Not sure how she gonna face him now, since last time she tricked him. );
    Eh ? When did Fang Yi join him ?
    As far as I know only the princess and shuang er are now with XB.....
    Yep, I'll bet he gets Shi Lang to do his dirty work and he don't get to show his face just in case Hong Bang Ju gets to see him....

Well right from the start, he is well aware that Kang Xi can have his head, It akin to having a full grown tiger for a pet....won't know when one gets into it's stomach....heh heh heh.

His 2 real shifus are the only 2 people he have full respects for....
    Last edited by crazee; 04-16-12 at 08:57 PM.
    cheerio..

Default Chapter 34 - Part 9

Muliono, please don't get me wrong. I was not trying to prove you wrong, I simply say that I did not get the reason you and Smurf said that Kangxi and WXB were drifting apart. From the beginning WXB already hated the Tatars, the only thing that kept him in the Palace was because he considered Xiao Xuanzi as his friend, and we know how loyal he was to his friends. Plus, it was not the first time he wanted to leave the Palace; he had done, or at least thought about it many times before. Drak, I also agree with Muliono in this regard: Kangxi had grown a lot. Anh, you are welcome. Crazee, I guess Drak was referring to the 'future' mission: Shen Long Jiao means Fang Yi. But personally, I don't like Fang Yi more than I don't like Ah Ke.

Edit: ycb, I just realized you left a message on the Lu Xiaofeng Book 4 thread. I am glad you like it. Also to the others who left a message there, my apology for not responding sooner.

Wei Xiaobao thought, “The young Emperor is very astute; among the important matters he is thinking in his heart, other than securing the three borders, is how to attack and seize Taiwan. Even if your speech were not pleasant to hear, as long as you really know what you are doing, His Majesty would definitely tolerate you. There must some other reason behind this.”

Thinking about what Songgotu had told him earlier, he thought, “This man has rendered not a few merits, he must be arrogant. His Majesty summoned him to the Capital, he definitely did not admit being in the wrong at all, and thus has offended not a few people of authority, to such an extent as to deliberately give him a lot of trouble.”

Therupon he laughed and said, “His Majesty is extremely wise, if he wants General Shi to wait for his decree in the Capital, he must have a profound reason. You don’t need to be impatient, the time has not yet come, worrying is useless.”

Shi Lang stood up and said, “I have received Wei Daren’s instruction today, the murky darkness suddenly opens. For the last three years, lowly officer has been terrified in my heart, I was afraid I had been disobedient and offended His Majesty. Turns out His Majesty have some other profound reason, lowly officer feels a lot better. Wei Daren’s enlightenment is an immeasurable kindness. When lowly officer return home today, my rice I will be able to eat, my sleep I will be able to enjoy.”

Wei Xiaobao was very good at patting the horse’s back, hence he also did not take other people’s flattering seriously; however, listening to Shi Lang flattering him, he was nonetheless happy. He said, “His Majesty has said that when someone is too arrogant, he will be unfit for anything; hence his arrogance must be set back first. Let’s not talk about His Majesty did not strip you of your official post, even if he take away your troops, have you beaten and put you in prison, it is all to cultivate your good intention.”

Shi Lang repeatedly voiced his agreement; he could not stop the palm of his hands from sweating. Songgotu stroked his beard and said, “That’s right, nothing is more correct than what Wei Jueye has just said. If the jade is not cut, it won’t become a utensil. If your jade bowl were not shaped with a lathe and ground, it would stay a block of rough stone; what’s the use?”

“Yes, yes,” Shi Lang said.

“General Shi, please sit down,” Wei Xiaobao said, “I heard you used to be Zheng Chenggong’s subordinate, for what matter did you have fallout with him?”

Shi Lang said, “Responding to Daren’s question: lowly officer was originally Zheng Chenggong’s father, Zheng Zhilong’s subordinate, afterward I was transferred under Zheng Chenggong’s command. Zheng Chenggong raised troops in rebellion, lowly officer could not see this matter clearly, in my confusion I followed the order by working for him.”

“Um, you fought the Qing restoring …” Wei Xiaobao started; he was going to say, ‘You fought the Qing restoring the Ming, so you should do what you were supposed to do.’ He was used to be with the Tian Di Hui brothers, hence he was used to the way they speak, and almost reveal his secret; fortunately he managed to stop in time, and hastily said, “And then what happened?”

Shi Lang said, “That year Zheng Chenggong fought a battle in Fujian; originally he was based in Xiamen, the Great Qing’s troops launched a surprise attack and captured Xiamen. Zheng Chenggong had no choice; he was in a very difficult situation. Lowly officer indeed deserve to die ten thousand deaths, not understanding to which king and master I should vow my loyalty and devotion, unexpectedly I led my troops and seized Xiamen back from the Great Qing troops’ hand.”

“Hence you rendered a very great merit to Zheng Chenggong,” Wei Xiaobao said.

“At that time Zheng Chenggong also promoted lowly officer’s rank,” Shi Lang said, “He bestowed not a few gifts. However, because of a minor matter later on, we had a big argument.”

“What matter was that?” Wei Xiaobao asked.

Shi Lang replied, “Under lowly officer’s command there was a low-rank soldier, lowly officer sent him out to spy the enemy. Unexpectedly, not only this person was afraid of death, he was also lazy; he went out to the wilderness and slept for several days. When he returned, he spoke some nonsense. As I listened to him, I knew something was not right. Upon careful investigation, I found the truth. Immediately I ordered him to be locked up and beheaded the next day. Unexpectedly this low-rank soldier was very sly; he escaped in the middle of the night and ran to Zheng Chenggong’s mansion, he complained tearfully to Mrs. Zheng Chenggong, Madame Dong, saying that I have wrongly accused him. Madame Dong’s heart was soft; she sent someone to plead with me, asking me to forgive this low-rank soldier, saying that when I sent someone on a mission, I must not kill my subordinate without authorization, so as not to terrify the soldiers.”

Hearing him mentioning Madame Dong, Wei Xiaobao remembered Chen Jinnan told him that this Madame Dong favored her grandson Keshuang and that she repeatedly wanted to set him up as the heir apparent. He could not stop his anger from flaring up, “That old wh0re,” he cursed, “What did that woman know about military matter? His granny, important things in the world fail in this kind of old wh0re’s hands. If a soldier violating martial law was not beheaded, everybody would violate martial law; how can you lead troops to war that way? This old wh0re is thoroughly muddleheaded, she only knows how to favor ‘little white face’ [i.e. pretty boy].”

Shi Lang had never expected that when he heard about this matter, Wei Xiaobao would be that angry; immediately feeling of friendship arose in Shi Lang’s heart. Slapping his thigh, he said, “Nothing can be truer than what Wei Daren has just said. You are also accustomed to leading the troops, you know martial law is as rigid as the mountain. Subduing the enemy and scoring a victory all depend on strict commands.”

Wei Xiaobao said, “You don’t have to pay attention to that old wh0re; just grab that low-rank soldier or high-rank soldier, ‘ka-cha’, one saber and it is done.”

Shi Lang said, “Lowly officer’s thought at that time was exactly the same as Wei Daren’s. I said to the person sent by Madame Dong that the one surnamed Shi was Guoxing Ye’s subordinate, I only accept Guoxing Ye’s military order. My meaning was that I was not Madame Dong’s subordinate, hence I was not obligated to accept Madame Dong’s order.”

“Absolutely right,” Wei Xiaobao was fuming, “Whoever wanted to be the old wh0re’s subordinate must be a big pustule.”

Hearing Wei Xiaobao repeatedly cursing Madame Dong as the old wh0re, Songgotu and Shi Lang were amused; but how could they know that Wei Xiaobao had a different, selfish reason?

Shi Lang said, “That old … that Madame Dong was angry at lowly officer’s reply, unexpectedly she made that low-rank soldier a Mansion’s personal guard, and also sent words to me, saying that if I had the ability, to capture and kill that low-rank soldier myself. Momentarily lowly officer could not endure that kind of words, I personally went to grab that low-rank soldier, and with one chop I separate his head from his body.”

Wei Xiaobao clapped and praised him greatly, “Kill him well, kill him swell, kill him neatly send him packing to hell, to the satisfaction of everyone.”

“After lowly officer killed that low-rank soldier,” Shi Lang continued, “I realized I had run into a disaster, hence I thought I would go to Zheng Chenggong to apologize. I thought I had rendered great merit, a troop under my command violated martial law, killing him was not wrong at all. But Zheng Chenggong was listening to the Madame’s words, he said I had offended my superior and was insufficiently respectful to her, so he put me in custody. I thought Guoxing Ye was a hero and a broadminded man, momentarily he was upset and had me locked up several days, so I did not mind much. Who would have thought that after quite a long time, my father and my younger brother, as well as my wife and children, were all arrested and put in prison. It was then that I knew this matter was far from good, Zheng Chenggong wanted to chop my head. Taking advantage when the man in charge of me was being negligence, I escaped. Not too long afterwards, I received the news that Zheng Chenggong had executed my whole family that not even one survived.”

Wei Xiaobao shook his head and heaved a deep sigh; he repeatedly stated, “It’s all because that old wh0re Madame Dong was not good.”

Gnashing his teeth, Shi Lang said, “My enmity with the Zheng Family is as deep as the ocean. It’s a pity that Zheng Chenggong had already died, it’s hard for me to avenge my enmity. Lowly officer has sworn a heavy oath, there will be a day I will kill the Zheng Family, each and every one of them, I will wipe them clean.”

Wei Xiaobao was already aware that Zheng Chenggong was an overseas king, a big hero, but hearing that Shi Lang wanted to kill the entire Zheng Clan, which naturally included his big rival Zheng Keshuang, he felt Shi Lang and he were like-minded. Nodding his head repeatedly, he said, “You should kill them, you should kill them! If you do not avenge this enmity, you are not a hero or a warrior.”

Ever since Shi Lang was summoned by Kangxi to Beijing, he only saw the Emperor one time, and then he was lying idle in Beijing. His official position was Fujian’s Naval Tidu, his nobility title was still ‘Jinghai Jiangjun’ [the general who pacify the ocean], but in Beijing he received his soldier’s pay in vain, because he did not hold any authority; in fact, compared to a lowly officer of Shun Tian government office [yamen], his power was still inferior. To an aggressive and grand man like him, naturally by being confined in the city with an anxious heart, he was like an ant in a hot pot.

For the last three years, every few days he would go to the Ministry of War to beat around the bush. He gave present excessively, and had spent considerable amount of money; the savings that he accumulated from his career over the years had actually been thrown away into the bottomless pit of Beijing bureaucracy, but the Emperor no longer granted him any interview. He did not even know when would he receive the imperial edict sending him back to his official post in Fujian. Afterwards, when the Ministry of War yamen heard Shi Lang’s name, they would feel a headache. His personal fund had been depleted, he no longer had money to give gifts, nobody paid him any attention anymore. This time, hearing Wei Xiaobao was in complete agreement with everything he said, he felt that returning to his duty in Fujian was no longer a hopeless desire, his face was full of excitement.

“General Shi,” Songgotu said, “Zheng Chenggong killed your entire family, he really should not do that. However, you are also reaping a profit from this disaster: you renounced the dark and sought the light. If this matter did not happen, I am afraid by this time you would still be in Taiwan defying your king and master, committing those treason and heresy.”

“Suo Daren is right,” Shi Lang said.

“Zheng Chenggong killed your entire family, and then in rage, you surrendered to the Great Qing?” Wei Xiaobao asked.

“Yes,” Shi Lang replied, “The Late Emperor’s benevolence was as heavy as the mountain; when lowly officer surrendered, the Late Emperor sent me to Fujian on a mission. Lowly officer was grateful and seeking to repay the kindness, I dashed on bravely with no thought of personal safety, and set up some minor merits, hence I was promoted to be the Fujiang [deputy general] of Tong’an [district of Xiamen city], Fujian. As it turns out, Zheng Chenggong led his troops to attack, lowly officer staked everything I had against him, relying on the Late Emperor’s flood of good fortune, I seized total victory. By his great benevolence, the Late Emperor promoted me to be Tong’an’s Zongbing [regional commander]. Later on I captured Xiamen, Jinmen and Wuyu; and then in alliance with the red-haired troops, riding large sailing ship and using foreign firearms and ocean cannon, we beat Zheng Chenggong out of the sea. The Late Emperor promoted lowly officer to be the Fujian Naval Tidu, and bestowed the title ‘Jinghai Jiangjun’. Actually, lowly officer did not have even half a part of contribution, one, I was a dog, enjoying great part of Qing Emperor’s good fortune, two, I received appropriate instruction from various Daren of the Imperial Court.”

Wei Xiaobao smiled and said, “You were formerly in Zheng Chenggong’s army, and you have won several tough battles with him in Fujian, naturally you are also very familiar with the situation in Taiwan. His Majesty summoned you here to discuss the strategy to attack Taiwan, what did you tell him?”

Shi Lang said, “Lowly officer submitted a report to His Majesty: Taiwan is sitting alone in the ocean, it is easily guarded, hard to attack. The officers and soldiers of Taiwan are crack troops who have followed Zheng Chenggong in hundreds of battle in the past. If we want to attack Taiwan, our officers and men must be united under one command, there must not be any pulling or elbowing inside, people who act as they see fit; only then we will achieve success.”

“Are you saying that you want to take charge in this important task and to let you one man have the authority to boss people around?” Wei Xiaobao asked.

“Lowly officer does not dare to have such arrogance,” Shi Lang replied, “But attacking Taiwan must be done when it is the least expected, attack when they are not prepared. The Capital and Fujian are several thousand li apart, when the good opportunity to attack Taiwan arises, and we have to submit a memorial to the throne to ask for instruction, by the time the imperial court makes decision, perhaps the good opportunity will be lost. Taiwan’s various generals and officers are not a big deal; there is one Chen Yonghua who is full of stratagems, and then there is one Liu Guoxuan who is brave and good at fighting. In all honesty, these two are greatly formidable opponent. If we send the troops in haste, victory will be hard to grasp.”

Wei Xiaobao nodded and said, “That is true. His Majesty is extremely brilliant, he would not blame you as saying wrong things. What else did you tell him?”
    Last edited by foxs; 04-16-12 at 09:50 PM.

Thanks Foxs.....

Hah hah ...first to submit a reply and the last ...... ( silly eh? )

Anyway....the smart part of Xiao Bao at work. patting horse back and gaining knowledge to have his revenge on Zhen KS..
    I concur with you foxs...Fang Yi is another of XB's painful wife, selling him out to Sheng Long Jiau.
    At least she is better than Ah Ke...of course none beats Shuang Er.... BTW what happened to his 1st Wife mu jianping ?
    cheerio..

Lol. @crazee and foxs, yeah I was saying since Xiaobao have a mission with Shen Long Jiao, he will get to meet Fang Yi again because she was always with the Madame.

@crazee: last time I read, it said that Mu Jianping went back to Mu Yan? with her brother and uncles. She parted ways with Xiaobao after the quarrel with Wu Sangui and formal princess Chang Ping (white dress nun).
    I do agree that A'ke got it hard with her parents and teacher and mixed up in all of it. BUT her personality wasn't that great to begin with (even before she even knew all that crazy stuff happened to her). I guess she's like that because Xiaobao nags her too much? Lol, idk ;[.

Shuang Er is really shy and she got that "servant" mentality, if she be more brave I bet she'll win Xiaobao in a heartbeat!

I've been thinking about the way JY depicted Xiaobao's wife and also read from Wiki (not sure how reliable is that). But as wiki described that each of his wife posses a certain traits, Shuang Er cares and understands him most, A'ke is most beautiful, Fang Yi is smartest and etc... I was wondering, where did JY get the wife's personality from? I have a wild thought and think that he based it off of his OWN personal encounters with the "7" women he met in his life.. LOL. Absurd, I know, but I guess I was really bored to think like that Hahaa.

Lol. @crazee and foxs, yeah I was saying since Xiaobao have a mission with Shen Long Jiao, he will get to meet Fang Yi again because she was always with the Madame.

@crazee: last time I read, it said that Mu Jianping went back to Mu Yan? with her brother and uncles. She parted ways with Xiaobao after the quarrel with Wu Sangui and formal princess Chang Ping (white dress nun).
    I do agree that A'ke got it hard with her parents and teacher and mixed up in all of it. BUT her personality wasn't that great to begin with (even before she even knew all that crazy stuff happened to her). I guess she's like that because Xiaobao nags her too much? Lol, idk ;[.

Shuang Er is really shy and she got that "servant" mentality, if she be more brave I bet she'll win Xiaobao in a heartbeat!

I've been thinking about the way JY depicted Xiaobao's wife and also read from Wiki (not sure how reliable is that). But as wiki described that each of his wife posses a certain traits, Shuang Er cares and understands him most, A'ke is most beautiful, Fang Yi is smartest and etc... I was wondering, where did JY get the wife's personality from? I have a wild thought and think that he based it off of his OWN personal encounters with the "7" women he met in his life.. LOL. Absurd, I know, but I guess I was really bored to think like that Hahaa.
    Wow...drak17...that's what I call mighty kungfu...reading I mean. Capturing every sentence and commiting to memory. My reading is like XB's kungfu lessons, only 10% captured and then it gets missing in "mentalville",
    What to expect from a mental like me...heh heh heh.
    Yep, how did JY come out with so many and different character women ? Well I'm not going to suspect JY had 7 wifes..... for me 1 is more than enough and as the joke goes, I'm still paying for it ... ( sorry ladies, it's a joke OK! ) Anyway, for other novels he also have a number of characters...and I suppose it's difficult to fantom how authors come out with the storyline and characters.....again a mental crazee will never know, I suppose...sigh!
    cheerio..