Thread: 大唐双龙传 [Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan] by Huang Yi

Thanks foxs

Thanks foxs

Thanks foxs. I had trouble posting earlier too.

So we finally learned who ZYY's daugther is: Madam Dong Ming. That makes the Ice Princess ZYY's granddaugther. How old is ZYY again? She's at least 60 right? But she looks as young as Wanwan who's in her 20s? Her demonic power can sell for a lot in this day and age for those who wants to preserve their beauty.

Awww...The Horse Master is secretly in love with ZXL. I'm afraid she'll be disappointed. I think he's already interested in the two Shi girls. Pity, because I would pick her over them.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
    Thanks foxs. I had trouble posting earlier too.
    Actually, last night spcnet was down... while browsing, suddenly encountered message that it couldn't be reached.

Foxs...
    The reason I am asking about this matter, Kou Zhong replied, Its because Liang Shao had a chance encounter with Bi Xiuxin and Shi Zhixuans daughter Shi Qingxuan [different xuans]; otherwise, I wouldnt even be aware of the existence of the Eight Major Martial Art Masters of the Demonic Ways.

Thanks, foxs.

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    Paona, doesnt a story about good and evil and a hero's journey describe fiction in general? Oh, I know that there are a lot of different genre and sub-genre, but still, I read for entertainment. For that reason, I dont like tragedy or depressing stories. Dont get me wrong, I am not saying that those stories are bad; its just a matter of taste.
    I also don't like tragedies and depressing stories because of how they make me feel so gross or weird afterwards. I prefer stories that leave me feeling good and uplifted after reading. After all my years here, there have been so many WuXia that may be considered well-written in terms of technique but I've hated because the story itself left me feeling depressed. That's why prior to this project of yours, the stories I've loved here the most are Gu Long's 名劍風流 Mingjian Fengliu (The Sword and The Exquisiteness), 小李飛刀系列 Xiaoli Feidao series, and 陸小鳳系列 Lu Xiaofeng series. That's why I was so excited by your decision to parallel translate the Chu Liuxiang series

When he and Shang Xiuxun went to the top of the hill to inspect the area, he seized the opportunity to ask more about Hua Jian Pai. He said, Supposing Shi Zhixuan was the Hua Jian Pai previous generations disciple, and Bi Xiuxin fell for him, wouldnt it mean Ci Hang Jingzhai had suffered a big blow? [Translators note: the original text was kind of gibberish here, so the last sentence was only my interpretation (blame Paonakata for this).]
    I know this is an added burden on you foxs, but I feel the extra effort you put in for this is the best solution to gibberish because we can at least guesstimate a better picture of the story

Everybody has different ideals and pursuits. Supposing the warlords contending for hegemony over the world are only Cao Yinglong, Zhu Can, Xiao Xian, Wang Shichong, and those like them, I would definitely fight side-by-side with Kou Zhong to the end. But among the warlords now, there are Liu Heita, Li Shimin, and the others, all are chivalrous heroes. I really do not have the heart to regard them as the enemy. Only because Kou Zhong is my Xiongdi did I let myself to get sucked into the whirlpool of the contention over the world.

Xuan Yong nodded and said, Xu Yes breadth of mind is indeed different from ordinary men. Liu Heita is certainly a special figure, but Li Shimin is basically not the crown prince. Even if he managed to snatch the crown prince position, he is, after all, a man born of honorable school, big clan; during the struggle over the world, he would salute those who help him to the extreme. But after obtaining the world, wouldnt he play the-birds-are-over, the-bow-is-put-away game? Being from powerful and wealthy family, how could he understand the plight of the people below him?

Xu Ziling was silent for half a day. This kind of thing varies from person to person, he spoke slowly, It was not my intention to speak good words on behalf of Li Shimin, I just wanted to be fair. Take Han Gaozu[1] for example; he was an insignificant Tingzhang [ancient official title] from Sishui [county, Jining, Shandong]. After obtaining the world, winning success and recognition, didnt he bestow the title Wang [king/prince] to the younger generation of the same surname? But he was vicious and merciless toward the kings and marquis of different surname who helped him during the conflict; even Han Xin[2] was not spared from death. Evidently it has nothing to do with class origin.
    It may not have anything to do with class origin, in which case there is even less of an excuse for the Li family being so snobby.

There is the saying, show me your friend and I will tell you who you are. The type of friends a person keeps speaks a lot about that persons personality. The passage from earlier in our story recapped below shows the kind of person Li Shimin, his sister Li Xiuning, and his friends Chai Shao and Pei Ji are, and the values they have and their attitudes towards those with less social standing, which perfectly match the description of a snob << https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snob >>.

Li Shimin is such a classic politician, only superficially chivalrous, deep down he is such a phony.

Book 4 Chapter 1 Aspiration Higher Than The Sky

Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling noticed Chai Shaos splendid sword and beautiful clothes, his imposing manner and elegance, which was only slightly inferior to Li Shimins bold poise and some kind of hard-to-describe great generals air. But since they already had favorable impression toward him, the two boys hurriedly expressed some courteous words.

However, all along Chai Shao carried a bit of haughtiness toward the two boys, unlike the Li guy who treated them warmly.

It was as if Li Xiuning did not see other people; she smiled sweetly at Chai Shao, and moved her tender body to Chai Shaos side, allowing him to lightly support her fragrant shoulder and help her to sit. Only then did she greet her older brother and Pei Ji. Lastly she acknowledged Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling.

Li Xiuning laughed tenderly and said, Must be from last night when he was soaked in the lake so now he catches cold. And then she turned to Chai Shao to explain, When Xiuning saw them last night, I thought it was a couple of little water demons crawling up from the lake to harm people.

Suddenly he came to realization that Li Xiuning only regarded them as lowly errand boys who worked for her second brother; so evidently her view of the two boys was identical to that of Pei and Chai, two people.

Kou Zhong hung down his head and said in a hoarse voice, I am fine. Its just that other than a water demon, I am also a hungry ghost, so I ate too much and now I am too full.

Li Xiuning was exceptionally intelligent, hearing the displeasure in his voice, she apologized, I was just making an analogy, Kou Xiong please dont take offense.

By saying that, now everybody else thought that Kou Zhong was narrow-minded. Pei Ji and Chai Shao immediately showed disdain on their faces.

Chai Shao wanted to show off in front of a beautiful [orig. jade] person, he let out a cold snort and said, Must not be a formidable person; otherwise how could Kou Xiong and Xu Xiong have any chance to take advantage of him?

As soon as he said that, Kou Zhong and Xu Zilings countenance turned unnatural, because he was saying that the two boys could not be considered anything.

Li Xiunings thought process was definitely a lot more thorough than Chai Shaos; her jet-black painted eyebrows were knitted as she said, That person has enough guts to single-handedly charge into Dong Ming flagship, which has martial art experts as numerous as the cloud, to steal something; no matter how you say it, he must have a bit of weight.

Chai Shao smiled and said, Didnt he take advantage of when Madame Dong Ming and Princess left the ship to come to our ship before he dared to make his move?

Li Xiuning stole a glance toward Li Shimin first before giving him an ambiguous answer, If Wanjing Jie was not eager to see Er Ge, and remained on the ship, that thiefs sneak attack would not have been successful, and Shang Gong would not have been injured!

A look of regret flitted across Li Shimins eyes, Xiuning must not forget that I am married, he rebuked her, But on the other hand, were it not for Shang Gong is injured by that man, we could forget about getting this crucial letter from Madame.

Pei Ji said in deep voice, Shao Xianzhi [virtuous nephew] must not belittle this man, just the fact that he was able to beat Shang Gong without he was able to resist, it is clear that although the account book was snatched away by two Xiao Xiongdi, it may be assumed that he was just overly underestimating them!

Li Shimin nodded and said, This man must be from Yuwen Clan. Speaking about water skill, within the Yuwen Clan, Yuwen Chengdu ranks the first. But I think it wasnt he who personally came, otherwise it would be difficult for Kou Xiong and Xu Xiong to unseal their acupoints.

Realizing that these people, including Li Shimin, did not think too highly of their skill, Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling was terribly upset.

Kou Zhong turned around like a whirlwind, made a fist and cried out, I want her to hate me just like Dong Ming Princess hates you. At the very least I would still have a place in her heart. But now when she saw me leaving, she did not show the slightest bit of sign that she cared. Practically we are just two little minions who rush about, exerting ourselves for her Li Clan; we are not even qualified to make her unhappy.

Noticing how when he spoke, his eyes turned red, he gnashed his teeth in anger, Xu Ziling could not help thinking about Dong Ming Princess Shan Wanjing. He said dejectedly, How much better do you think I am from you? Didnt you hear that crafty and unruly Princess only has eyes for people with dignity and status like that Li guy?

Kou Zhong looked up and stared at Xu Ziling for quite a while before saying, Speaking about talent and appearance, I dont believe that we are much worse than Li guy or perhaps that Chai guy. So what made them treat us as nobody? Because we lack accomplishment. It doesnt matter whether we are in Jianghu or within a clan or society, those without accomplishment will most likely be ignored.

Away on a project, So much had happened and such varied discussion. Thks foxs. (I like the Horse Master too ...)

Thanks foxs!

Default Book 22 Chapter 12 - Part 1

Ysabel, Jaya, HPC, Spy, you are welcome. Xiaohu, good guess, and thanks for the correction. Akolaw, I still dont understand this sai-ching business, since the definition you provided seems vague to me. But as you said, well just enjoy it. I dont care whatever you call it. Sky, did I say blame? I meant to say thank. About the Ranch Master, too bad Huang Yi did not develop her character more. Paona, thanks for sharing your thought. DongBin, welcome back then. I am still away on business trip until this weekend.

On spcnet, I am starting to think that we need to have a backup outside. Do you guys know any blog site thats free? I checked wordpress the other day, but they charge $5/month. I know its not much, but this is an expense that I dont have any justification to pay. And then theres tumblr, but I dont know how good they are. Any thought? (I remember we had similar problem in the past, and I asked the same thing, but I never followed it up. And I am too lazy to search those posts. Apology to those of you who have responded.)

Book 22 Chapter 12 The Battle of River Zhang

The first to pass was the vanguard cavalry of the thief army. Only in three days, four nights, the Three Big Bandits thief army tight formation has deteriorated into disorder. For a time the plains were full of scattered light of the torches.

Perhaps because it was only two days away from River Zhang, everybody was as anxious as stray dogs, thinking that after crossing River Zhang, they would be able to sleep without any worry. Yet actually it was not surprising that they were having that idea.

To Kou Zhongs ambushing troops, this situation was actually an easy drive on a familiar path; the key was to use focus to generate chaos, to use order to create dispersion.

Shang Xiuxun whispered in Kou Zhongs ear, Currently, although we managed to obtain a thousand men, to defeat them, we still do not have any assurance.

Shaking his head, Kou Zhong said, This time we dont want to only obtain one victory, but we want to put an end to these bandits who harm the world of the living thoroughly. We also want to lower the casualties on our side to the lowest point. Only this way will we show off our real ability.

Suddenly recalling an old affair, he asked in passing, How could Tao Shusheng be bought by these roving bandits that he agreed to betray the Ranch?

Shang Xiuxuns pretty eyes flashed with sharp rays; she coldly said, How could Cao Yinglong buy him and entice his heart? It was Li Mi!

Finally Kou Zhong found the answer to this mystery.

On the other side, Bai Wenyuan was peeking through the gap on the trees on the enemy troops winding around the horse relay station; he spoke in low voice, The vanguard cavalry and the carts carrying provisions at the back of the line are separated by about three li distance. If we move fast enough, we might be able to strike before the enemy riders turn around to come to their aid. And then our whole division will retreat promptly.

Get on your horses! Kou Zhong shouted.

Shang Xiuxun hurriedly issued her order, which was then rapidly transmitted down the line.

One after another one thousand Ranchs warriors mounted their horses.

Among them, several hundreds held torches in their hands, prepared to burn the provision carts.

Approximately a hundred carts carrying provisions finally appeared before their eyes, protected by around two thousand thieves, mostly infantry; their cavalry was less than five hundred.

Kou Zhong waited for the fortunate timing. Suddenly he roared wildly, and charged out of the jungle on the slope of the hill, taking the lead to attack the convoy of the enemys provision carts.

The Moon in the Well was raised high in the air.

Shang Xiuxun, Bai Wenyuan, Luo Fang, Xu Yang, and the others followed closely behind, trailed by one thousand elite Ranch riders in fan-shaped formation closing in to trap the enemy in the middle.

The torches were lighted up, the fire illuminated the night sky, increasing the tidal-wave like surging momentum of the thousand riders.

The enemy formation was immediately thrown into chaos. Those with fast reaction were going to pull their bows and arrows, but several hundreds powerful arrows were raining down on them. Momentarily the men fell face up, the horses overturned, in utter defeat.

Like surging waves the chaos rippled from the back of the line toward the middle, and then continued on to the vanguard units. The bandits, who have wantonly plundered the area north of the river, which Cao Yinglong relied on, were immediately trampling each other.

Kou Zhong was the first to charge into the enemy ranks. The Moon in the Well appeared as a streak of continuously flashing yellow light hacked down the four enemy riders who galloped to meet him, so hard that the men and their weapons were thrown off of the horseback. Gaining the upper hand by this show of strength, he charged deep into the enemy formation. Those who tried to intercept were swept away by the wind. The most formidable thing was that he did not even need the Moon in the Well to touch the enemys body; merely the saber qi was enough to make the enemys seven apertures to bleed and sending them to their death.

The Ranchs elite cavalry, as if they were descending from heavens, crushed into the enemy formation that the entire convoy of provision carts was separated from the middle army and the vanguard unit, and was put into a completely passive situation.

Two of the provision carts caught fire first, the flames and smoke soared to the sky.

Shang Xiuxun was using a long spear. Because she had a group of high-ranking military officers protecting her from left and right, her momentum was like a rainbow; the scream of the enemies thrust by her spear reached the sky.

In less than half a day, the entire convoy of provision carts was paralyzed, as well as broken into several sections, the thieves were scattering in all directions, fleeing for their lives; even the drivers of the carts jumped down and abandoned their vehicles.

One after another the overturned carts were set on fire, so that the entire area became a sea of fire.

Kou Zhongs murderous intent flared up; leading about a hundred warriors, he charged toward the thieves, who were trying to come to the aid of their retreating companions. It was only after he saw the opponents vanguard riders, under the leadership of Cao Yinglong, rushing over from both sides ahead that he shouted retreat.

The surprise attack was finally over, successfully.

Xu Ziling chopped down a sturdy and solid pomegranate tree trunk, and spent half a day using his dagger to pare the small branches away to make it into a zhang and a half long stick. Its weight, as well as the feel of it in his hands, was very close to the ideal in his mind.

Battlefield could be different from desperate fight against martial art masters in general, long weapons were always more advantageous.

While making this pomegranate wooden stick, his mind was calm, his spirit was highly focused that he noticed every subtle detail on the tree trunk; which side needed more cut, at what angle he had to make the cut, everything was according to a certain amazing reason that even he himself found it difficult to explain clearly, but he knew that he must not make the slightest mistake.

After the long stick was finished, he had a feeling that this pomegranate stick was as if it was his own flesh and blood. Looking at each chop and cut, which were like the work of the gods, he felt as if it was a very valuable lesson for himself. At least, after Susus death, his spirit has never felt so satisfied like this.

When the sun was moving away from the middle of the sky and leaning away to the west, Xuan Yong came to report that he had found the enemys track.

Xu Ziling quickly stood up from the big rock where he had been sitting for about half a day; one hand putting the stick behind him, he said in delight, Kou Zhong succeeded; otherwise, Cao Yinglong would not have traveled in haste during the day.

Xuan Yong nodded and said, According to the scouts, the enemy formation is in disorder, they are completely like scampering wolves or scurrying frightened rats, running away to the wilderness. This time Cao Yinglong ought to be in the-path-exhausted, the-road-ended situation.

And then his eyes fell onto the pomegranate stick sticking out from Xu Zilings right shoulder.

Xu Ziling handed the long stick over for him to see. The murderous intent in his eyes flared out strongly, yet the tone of his voice was extremely calm as he said, Tonight I will use this stick to take away Cao Yinglongs dog life.

Like a wave of fiery cloud, the Ranchs main forces, led by Shang Zhen, swept through the enemy ranks, to rendezvous with Kou Zhong and Shang Xiuxuns special forces. Without stopping to rest they rushed in the direction of Zhang River.

Hearing that they have been successfully burned Cao Armys provision carts, their morale soared like a rainbow, their battle spirit was uplifted.

They changed formation; the vanguard unit was divided into two teams, each team had two thousand men, under Kou Zhong and Liu Zongdaos command, respectively, with Luo Fang and Bai Wenyuan as their deputies.

Shang Xiuxun was in command of the middle army, with Shang Zhen brought up the rear.

They absolutely did not wish to overtake the Cao Army before they crossed the river, because it might force the enemy to fight hard like a trapped beast.

By dusk, Kou Zhong and Luo Fangs vanguard units were the first to reach the mountaintop from which they were able to look at the Zhang River in the distance. They saw the eastern bank of River Zhang was full of enemy troops in battle array, ready to fight with their back to the river.

Kou Zhong laughed aloud and said, Cao Yinglong indeed have a real skill. But he is making two big blunders.

Astonished, Luo Fang said, But I think the strategy he is using now is very brilliant. If we attack rashly, the casualties will definitely be disastrous.

Laughing involuntarily, Kou Zhong said, He is just bluffing [orig. looks impressive but is worthless]. First of all, he lost all his provisions. How long can he fight on empty stomach? If we set up an iron-clad trap in here, he will only end up in total defeat. This is his first blunder.

After a short pause, he went on, The second blunder is that he thought I didnt know that he is waiting for the dark to set up the pontoon bridge, and then cross the river sneakily. This strategy is actually extremely brilliant, too bad he did not know there is another ambushing troops on the other side, just waiting for his thieving self to arrive.

Listening to this, the spirit of the men of his left and right was greatly aroused; toward this Cao Army, who had murdered their friends and relatives, no one did not gnash their teeth in anger, they all wanted to annihilate the enemy as quickly as possible.

The moment of vengeance has finally come.

Puffing his chest, Luo Fang asked, When should we attack?

Kou Zhong shouted, This will be decided by Xu Ziling. The moment they release fireworks on the opposite bank will be the moment thief Cao will repay all debts with his blood.

Clang!

Kou Zhong drew the Moon in the Well. Pointed it at an angle toward the horizon, with ten-thousand-fathom heroic spirit he shouted, Light the torches, set them up on every hilltop, while digging trenches at the same time. I want to setup a net that not a single enemy will be able to escape. Ranch troops will prevail, thief troops will fail!

Thanks foxs

Another chapter, translated perfectly like seamless heavenly clothes. Thank you foxs.

safe travels foxs, and as always, thank you very much for translating this for us

Highly likely, you'll make foxs blush, perhaps like a teenage school girl, tempted to undress

Quote Originally Posted by wangxiaohu View Post
    Another chapter, translated perfectly like seamless heavenly clothes. Thank you foxs.
    Redress ?
    I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. 弗拉基米爾弗拉基米羅維奇納博科夫

Thanks, foxs.

Quote Originally Posted by 徐中銳 View Post
    Highly likely, you'll make foxs blush, perhaps like a teenage school girl, tempted to undress

Redress ?
    Hahaha,
    Xu Xiong, foxs translation makes the reader feels like they witnessing the battle with their own eyes, so I called it flawless, or seamless heavenly clothes ( see : http://www.standardmandarin.com/idio...-clothes-idiom)

Range Master is lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by wangxiaohu View Post
    Hahaha,
    Xu Xiong, foxs translation makes the reader feels like they witnessing the battle with their own eyes, so I called it flawless, or seamless heavenly clothes ( see : http://www.standardmandarin.com/idio...-clothes-idiom)
    You're jesting with your commissar speech ?

I believe it deplorable rhetoric to generalise, summarily including everyone And I find that in "foxs translation makes the reader feels like they witnessing the battle with their own eyes."

I'm certain not all witnesses would concur.

I remember :
    Xiaohu, truth be told, I am touched that you are so looking forward to the updates, but at the same time, I dont want you to be disappointed, because sometimes real life interferes with this project. So I am just going to ignore the fact that you are waiting
    Are you not putting too much pressure on foxs with your enthusiasm ? How will anyone other than sagely akolaw dare to give constructive feedback ?

Incidentally, speaking of battle, does Red Cliff gild the lily ?
    Last edited by 徐中銳; 11-15-17 at 02:35 PM.
    I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. 弗拉基米爾弗拉基米羅維奇納博科夫