Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: A Happy Hero

I wonder whose stare was more penetrating or unnerving, Nangong Chou's or this Terrestrial Dragon King's. It seems they are from the same mould...
    Man is glue. You are man. How then can you step away from glue?

oh...am behind. so that young maiden is the fiesty and fierce miss yu. i'm glad that's the case. i sort of like that fiesty and scary girl when she first appeared...maybe it had to do with the fact that she caked on her make up to make herself less attractive.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

patricia likes the girls that are like little chili peppers -- fiery!

Chapter 46 continued.....
    --------------------------------------------------

“Otherwise, you will be considered to have lost this bet.”

At the back of the tent, there hung a heavy curtain. It was extremely dark, and there was no way that one could see into there from outside. But the people on the inside of the curtain could see out to what was happening before them.

Wang Dong, Hong NiangZi, Guo DaLu, and Yan Qi were already there, and they had heard every sentence, every word spoken by Lin TaiPing. They felt very comforted because Lin TaiPing had not disappointed them.

But what about Yu LingLong? Right then, not only was she holding her own life in her hand but Lin TaiPing’s as well. This was Lin TaiPing’s own decision, and it was obvious that he had that same confidence in her. Would she disappoint him?

They heard Terrestrial Dragon King ask another question. “Do you know what kind of person she was before?”

Lin TaiPing’s answer was very simple: “That is something that is already in the past. Even if I knew, I have already forgotten.”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “What kind of schemes did she employ that would cause you to trust her in this way?”

Lin TaiPing: “She used many schemes, but there was only one that was effective.”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “Which one?”

Lin TaiPing: “She told the truth.”

For some reason, when Hong NiangZi heard this reply, she suddenly lowered her head.

And then, Lin TaiPing walked in there as well. As he looked at each of them, his gaze was flooded with gratitude. His friends had not disappointed either.

Eight people sat quietly in front of that tent, so calm that they seemed like eight stone statues. They were Terrestrial Dragon King’s ‘Eight Divine Dragon Generals’ and each one of them by himself was enough to shake-up a part of the world with his might.

Yu LingLong’s eyes, though, did not even seem to notice them. She was still dressed in the dark cloth garments of the flower-vendor girl. With her head held high, she walked between them and into the tent. Her expression was very serene, but her eyes carried determination.

And then, she saw Terrestrial Dragon King.

Terrestrial Dragon King did not tell her to sit, but the gaze he placed on her was cutting.

Yu LingLong did not wait for him to open his mouth to speak before she said loudly, “Do you know who I am?”

Terrestrial Dragon King gave a nod of his head.

Yu LingLong: “I am the last descendant of the Yu family. You only need to kill me, and then you will have achieved your desire.”

Terrestrial Dragon King remained silent for quiet some time before he finally responded unhurriedly, “That is not my desire.”

Yu LingLong: “It is not?”

“That merely is something that I said,” Terrestrial Dragon King told her in an indifferent tone.

Yu LingLong: “Everything you have spoken, you have accomplished.”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “There is only one that I have not accomplished.”

Yu LingLong: “Perhaps you may be able get it done very soon now.”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “Perhaps?”

Yu LingLong: “ ‘Perhaps’ means that it is uncertain.”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “Don’t tell me you dare to exchange blows with me?”

With a cold smirk, Yu LingLong retorted, “Why wouldn’t I dare? Do you really think that you are very incredible?” She did not allow Terrestrial Dragon King to respond as she continued quickly, “If a person does not even have the ability to look after his own wife and son, no matter how amazing he is, it still would be limited.”

Terrestrial Dragon King was not angered by her words. “They are able to take care of themselves,” he replied dispassionately.

Yu LingLong laughed coolly, “That is their own business. What about you? Have you fulfilled your responsibilities? If the fathers and husbands in this world were all the same as you, I am afraid the women and children would nearly all be dead by now.”

At last, Terrestrial Dragon King’s face hardened as he asked in a low voice, “You came here just to say these words?”

Yu LingLong: “I am simply reminding you that you still have a wife and a son. It would be best if you did not forget them because they also have not forgotten you.”

His voice was cool. “You have reminded me now.”

Yu LingLong released a long breath. “Yes. What should be said has all been said.” Suddenly throwing her shoulders back and cupping her fist, she said, “Please.” She knew perfectly well that she was facing the one who was umatched beneath Heaven, Terrestrial Dragon King, and also clearly knew that outside the tent, there were those Eight Divine Dragon Generals who struck awe in all the world with their might, but yet there was not even a trace of fear in her expression. Although her body was delicate and slender, she was filled with determination and courage. Right this moment, the motion of throwing back her shoulders and cupping her fist seemed to faintly give a sense that she could stand up to Terrestrial Dragon King as an equal.

Terrestrial Dragon King gave an unexpected chuckle. “How old are you this year?”

Though Yu LingLong did not know why he would suddenly ask this, she still answered, “Seventeen.”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “At what age did you start practicing martial arts?”

Yu LingLong: “Four.”

Terrestrial Dragon King’s smile was cold. “You have only practiced martial arts for thirteen years, yet you dare fight me?”

Responding with a cold smile of her own, she said, “Even if I have only practiced for one day, I would still contend with you just the same to determine whose skill is higher. And even if we of the Yu family cannot compare to you in martial skills, our bones are always hard [saying that means someone is unyielding].”

Terrestrial Dragon King suddenly laughed long and hard. “Good! So hard are those bones. So great is the courage.”

Amid the sound of his lengthy laughter, his body suddenly soared upward from where it had been lounging on that slanted soft bed, as if there was a pair of unseen hands supporting him from beneath him. Yu LingLong could not help retreating back half a step. She recognized this stance to be the first stance of the legendary “Divine Dragon Eight Stances” called “Submerged Dragon Ascends into Heaven”, but she had never imagined that anyone’s lightness kung fu could reach this level of attainment.

Who would have thought that while Terrestrial Dragon King’s body was flying up into the air, he was still able to open his mouth to speak? In a low voice, he warned, “Beware your right and left ‘Qing Ling’ acupoints.”
    一杯酒,一個朋友!
    --离歌笑

It probably takes a very patient and self-assured man to appreciate chilly padi girls... this story seems to be full of them Thanks Hoju! I can't wait to see the end-game. There's got to be a twist somewhere.... right?
    Man is glue. You are man. How then can you step away from glue?

Thanks again hoju!

In a low voice, he warned, “Beware your right and left ‘Qing Ling’ acupoints.”

The Qing Ling acupoints are located on the inner one-third of the upper arms, and if struck, a person will not be able to raise his shoulders. However, if you do not lift up your arms, people will have no way of hitting those two acupoints.

Smirking coldly, Yu LingLong thought to herself, “Even if I am not your match, it still will not be easy for you if you want to seal my Qing Ling acupoints.” She was determined that, no matter what the situation was, she still would not raise her arms up. Given Terrestrial Dragon King’s status, since he had already stated clearly that he was going to strike her Qing Ling acupoints, he of course would not attack her anywhere else.

It was at this moment that Terrestrial Dragon King arrived right before her. A powerful rushing sound of wind shook her so that her clothing billowed upwards. She spun her body around. Just as she wanted to use that momentum to dissipate away the force, she heard two “pa pa” sounds, and then she could no longer lift her two arms. Looking back at Terrestrial Dragon King again, he had already gone back to his soft bed at some point in time, and his manner was just as leisurely as before. No one would have been able to tell that he had struck out in attack just an instant ago.

Yu LingLong’s entire face was flushed red from fury. “You attacked my ‘Jian Jing’ [Shoulder Well] acupoints, not my Qing Ling acupoints,” she accused loudly.

Terrestrial Dragon King replied indifferently, “I do not need you to remind me. I am still able to differentiate between the Jian Jing and Qing Ling acupoints.”

Yu LingLong: “Who ever would have thought that a grown man such as you would not keep his word?”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “When did I say I was going to seal your Qing Ling acupoints?”

Yu LingLong: “You said it very clearly just a moment ago.”

“I merely wanted you to pay attention to them. In a fight against someone, every acupoint on your body should be paid attention to.” His voice was unconcerned as he added, “Furthermore, in the way of martial arts, the ability to adapt when facing an enemy, resourcefulness, and flexibility are always crucial. If I cannot seal your Qing Ling acupoint, naturally I should go attack your Jian Jing acupoint. Since the result is the same and you would have no way of raising your arms anyhow, why then must I strike the Qing Ling acupoint? If you cannot even understand this principle, then even if you train for another 130 years, you still will have no way of becoming a high level fighter.” He carried on and on, like a shifu teaching his disciple or a father or uncle teaching his son or nephew.

Yu LingLong was so enraged her face was alternating between a burning red color and pale white. Gnashing her teeth, she said, “Fine. Kill me.”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “You do not submit to this in your heart?”

Yu LingLong: ‘Even if I die, I will not submit.”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “Fine.”

The word, “fine”, had just left his lips and then, all that could be heard was a whooshing sound. Something unidentifiable was released from his hand and struck her “Shen Feng” acupoint. Yu LingLong only felt a force on her chest that spread out towards her four limbs, and instantly, her arms were able to move again.

“Sealing Acupoints Through the Air” was already an extremely rare top-tier martial art. Who could have imagined that this Terrestrial Dragon King could actually “Unseal Acupoints Through the Air”?

Yu LingLong was gritting her teeth together. Even though she knew that her opponent’s martial arts were fathomless and immeasurable, she was still prepared to go all out and fight him.

However, her body had just swept upwards and she had not even executed a single stance yet when she suddenly felt a warm wind blowing towards her. Her left and right “Qing Ling” acupoints tingled. Then, her body was falling back to the ground and once more, she was unable to raise her two arms.

Turning her eyes to Terrestrial Dragon King, she saw that he was again reclined on his soft bed. His expression still remained relaxed, as if he had never even moved.

Yu LingLong’s face was the color of ashes. Even if she was more proud, she could still tell now that if Terrestrial Dragon King wanted to take her life, it would be as easy as lifting his hand. In front of Terrestrial Dragon King, her martial arts, which had amazed other people before, had become something where she did not even have the opportunity to strike.

Terrestrial Dragon King looked at her. “Will you submit now?” he asked unemotionally.

Breathing out a long sigh, Yu LingLong admitted, “Yes.” She gave an unexpected laugh and very quickly added, “But what I submit to is your martial arts ability, not you as a person.”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “Oh?”

Yu LingLong: “Even if your martial art is unmatched beneath Heaven, as a person, you are a petty and bigoted scoundrel. Even if you crushed the bones of every one of us in the Yu family and scattered the ashes, still no one would submit to you.”

Terrestrial Dragon King’s face darkened. “Little girl, very sharp a tongue you have. You would actually dare act so audaciously in front of me.”

With a cool smile, Yu LingLong replied, “Why wouldn’t I dare? I am not even afraid of death; what else do I have to fear?”

There was a glint in Terrestrial Dragon King’s eyes. “Yes,” he murmured softly. “If a person knows perfectly well she is going to die, what would she not dare do and what would she not dare say?” The hint of an unusual smile appeared on the corner of his lips as he continued, “But what if I agree to not kill you?”

Yu LingLong paused a moment in surprise. “What… what did you say?”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “Not only will I not kill you, I will not even injure a single hair of yours. The gratitudes and grudges between my family and yours will also hereafter be written off in one stroke.”

Yu LingLong: “Rea… really?”
    一杯酒,一個朋友!
    --离歌笑

Yu LingLong: “Rea… really?”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “When have I never kept the promises I stated?”

Yu LingLong suddenly felt her body go weak so that she nearly could not remain standing. Just a moment ago, she had faced a powerful enemy of unprecedented might. Even when she knew it was certain death, she had still fearlessly held her head high. But now, when he promised not to kill her, her legs actually went weak instead. Only at this instant did she discover that she actually did not want to die.

If a person has the chance to keep on living, who truly would want to die?

Terrestrial Dragon King’s sharp, piercing vision seemed to have seen into her heart. He carried on slowly, “So long as you promise me one thing, I will immediately let you go, and henceforth, will never seek you out again.”

Yu LingLong could not help asking, “What is it?”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “So long as you do not bring up the arranged marriage between yourself and my son and so long as from this day onward, you will never see him again.”

The look on Yu LingLong’s face transformed again. “You… you want me to never see him again?” she quavered.

“From now on, you will simply pretend as if there was never such a person in this world. You will act as if you had never before met him. You will still be able to live just as well as before.” He gave a sudden laugh and told her indifferently, “There are many men in the world. Perhaps you will very quickly forget about him.”

Yu LingLong’s face was pale, and her body was starting to quiver again. “What if I do not agree to this?”

In an unconcerned voice, Terrestrial Dragon King responded, “Why wouldn’t you agree to it? After you are dead, isn’t it true that you would not be able to see him anyway?”

Slowly, Yu LingLong shook her head. “It is not the same… not the same at all.”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “How is it not the same?”

With a sad smile, she told him, “You would not understand. People like you will never understand.” Though her smile was sorrowful, her eyes seemed to be filled with happiness.

Because she had loved.

This type of feeling could neither be replaced by anything nor could it be snatched away by anyone! Regardless of whether her love was bitter or sweet, at the very least, she was much more blessed than those people who had never loved before.

As Terrestrial Dragon King looked at her expression, his countenance also seemed to change. From a jasper pot, he suddenly poured out some bright green wine and said in a serious tone, “If you truly will not agree to it, drink this glass of wine. Hereafter, you will have no more worries.”

Yu LingLong’s gaze was fixated on that cup of poisoned wine as she spoke each word clearly: “I can only promise you one thing.”

Terestrial Dragon King: “What is that?”

Turning her eyes to look off at some place in the distance, she replied, “I cannot forget him, and I will not forget him. Regardless of whether I am dead or alive, he will forever be in my heart. No matter how great your abilities may be, you still cannot do anything about this.”

All of a sudden, she darted over and drank that glass of wine.

And then, her body immediately crumpled to the ground.

But the corner of her lips still showed that mysterious, blissful smile. It was because she knew that from now on, whether in the Heavens or beneath the earth, no one would be able to tell her to forget him…

Terrestrial Dragon King seemed to be stunned.

The world really did have such people, such love. This truly was something he would never be able to understand.

Lin TaiPing had rushed over and thrown himself on top of Yu LingLong’s body. Terrestrial Dragon King did not look at him, could not bear to look at him.

They did not know how much time had passed when Lin TaiPing finally rose to his feet. His face had drained of all color, and his eyes were bloodshot as he glared at him and cried hoarsely, “You promised me…”

Terrestrial Dragon King could only exhale a long sigh. He seemed as if he, too, did not know what he should say.

Lin TaiPing: “You promised me that you would be fair, but now…”

Cutting him off, Terrestrial Dragon King admitted, “I know this was not fair, but there are many things in the world that are not fair. If a person wants to continue to be alive, he must learn how to put up with these types of things.”

“I won’t be able to learn it, never will I be able to learn it.” The look on his face suddenly grew very mysterious, very peculiar, and it almost seemed that on his lips, there was a trace of that same smile as Yu LingLong's. Slowly, he said, “I only know that no one in the world is able to make her forget me, and no one is able to make me forget her…”

Hearing this and seeing the expression that was on his face, Guo DaLu could not contain his own hot tears from brimming over his eyes and flowing like a stream. He understood people like this, feelings like this. He knew Lin TaiPing did not want to live either, and he could not help leaping to his feet and wanting to charge out there.

But for some reason, Wang Dong pulled him back and said softly, “Wait a little longer.”

“What are we still waiting for?” Guo DaLu hissed back.

Light glinted in Wang Dong’s eyes. “Just wait a moment and you will know.”

At this moment, though, Lin TaiPing had already drank the entire jug of poisoned wine. “I, too, had made a promise to you that if you killed her, I would kill someone from the Lin family.”

He had killed himself.

He also collapsed to the floor, falling on top of Yu LingLong. Two people, the corners of their lips showing the same smile – a smile that was blissful and mysterious…
    一杯酒,一個朋友!
    --离歌笑

click to show/hide spoilers
    I bet that neither of them are dead, what they drank are powerful sedatives rather than poisons- especially if the relevation that the young miss Yu is mentioned in other novels.
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    click to show/hide spoilers
    I bet that neither of them are dead, what they drank are powerful sedatives rather than poisons- especially if the relevation that the young miss Yu is mentioned in other novels.
    I hope so. Or else it would be too sad!!!
    "I'd call you a genius... but I'm in the room."
    -Doctor Who

Thanks Hoju. A belated Happy Birthday.

Thanks hoju! Come'on......the title says "a happy hero". So far this does not look too happy with two lovers "dead".......but Wang Dong has a glint in his eyes????

Thank you, Wanlie for the birthday wish.
    And now, it's the conclusion!!

Two people, the corners of their lips showing the same smile – a smile that was blissful and mysterious…

Guo DaLu’s eyes had reddened, and he was about to grab Wang Dong by the collar and demand to know why he had to wait. However, in that instant, a mysterious and alluring voice was heard. “You have lost.”

A person, tall and graceful and with outstanding elegance had suddenly appeared within the tent. Shockingly, it was Lin TaiPing’s mother, “Madam Wei.” Her lips were turned up in that same mysterious smile.

Guo DaLu had paused in surprise again. How could she see her son lying dead before her and still be able to smile?

The look on Terrestrial Dragon King’s face was very unusual also. Was it joy? Or pain? Smugness? Or disappointment? After a long time had went by, he finally nodded his head slowly and exhaled a long sigh. “Yes. I have lost.”

Madam Wei: “You should know now that not everyone is like you and only lives for themselves. Now you should realize that this world has many things that are more important than your own life.”

Terrestrial Dragon King lowered his head. Suddenly, he smiled. “At least I have not realized this too late.”

Her eyes looking intently at him, Madam Wei repeated, “Not too late?”

Terrestrial Dragon had lifted up his head again to gaze back at her. “Not too late.”

A very peculiar emotion surged from both their eyes as they suddenly looked at each other and smiled. Their many years of misunderstandings and grudges seemed to have transformed into the spring breeze with that one smile. He had always been deeply ingrained in her heart and unforgettable to her, so how could he truly do anything that she could not forgive, not understand? But her son…

Terrestrial Dragon’s eyes were still on her. Smiling, he said, “He has already drank the most bitter cup of wine of their entire lives. Now, you should let them have a drink of one that is sweet.”

Madam Wei’s voice was soft. “Everyone should drink some sweet...” She suddenly turned her head back to smile at Guo DaLu and the others, who were still behind the curtain. “All of you should now understand what is going on. Why are you not coming out to have a cup of sweet wine?”

Guo DaLu still did not understand; Yan Qi, however, did.

“The first one who made a bet with Terrestrial Dragon King was not Wang Laoda,” Yan Qi explained. “It was Madam Wei.”

Wang Dong added, “For her son’s happiness, she was willing to seek out Terrestrial Dragon King and make this bet.”

Yan Qi: “Her wager was the same as ours. She knew that there are many people in the world who are willing to sacrifice themselves for someone else. That is why she has won.” She was gazing at Guo DaLu, her eyes filled with tenderness.

Taking her hands lightly in his own, Guo DaLu said gently, “Yes. People who understand this principle will never lose.”

Wang Dong: "The wine that Terrestrial Dragon King gave them to drink was of course not poisoned wine.”

Of course it was not.

Because Lin TaiPing and Yu LingLong had risen to their feet now and were wrapped tightly in each other’s embrace. Now, nobody in the world was able to separate them because they had possessed the courage to drink the bitterest cup of wine of their lives.

Bitter wine, but not poisoned wine.

Did you know that there is a very mysterious wine in this world that allows someone to escape from the mortal world for a short while and then come back to life again? Did you know the world has many mysterious things that exist specially for people who are sincerely in love?

Guo DaLu turned to Wang Dong. “You pulled me back just now. Did you know ahead of time that it was not poisoned wine?”

Wang Dong: “I did not know – but I did know that there is not a single father out there who could harden his heart to poison his own son. I believe that, so long as you are human, you will have human nature in you.

Guo DaLu: “You had faith?”

Wang Dong: “Yes!”

With a sigh, Guo DaLu remarked, “No wonder you never lose as well.”

The only ones left behind the curtain were Hong NiangZi and Wang Dong.

Hong NiangZi’s head was lowered. “They are all waiting for you outside. Why aren’t you going out yet?”

Wang Dong: “What about you?”

Hong NiangZi: “I… I am not good enough to be with all of you.”

Wang Dong: “Why are you not good enough?”

Tears shone in Hong NiangZi’s eyes, and her head still hung low. “Because I was the same as Terrestrial Dragon King. I had never understood that true love does not need to be gained through scheming. If you want to have a person’s love, you can only use your own genuine love and exchange for it. There is absolutely no other method.”

Wang Dong: “But now you know?”

Hong NiangZi nodded.

Wang Dong: “If you know now, then it is still not too late.”

Hong NiangZi head whipped up suddenly and she looked deeply at him with eyes filled with hope. “It is still not too late?”

Wang Dong was gazing back at her, and his voice became warm and gentle. “Not late. As long as you are able to truly understand that principle, it will never be too late.” He reached out and held her hand in his as tenderly, he said, “Therefore, we should go out now to drink a sweet cup of wine with them. We have drank too much of our own bitter wine already.”

The wine was sweet – sweet and beautiful. Only people who can persist through the tests and endure the obstacles can drink this type of wine. And only they are worthy of drinking it.

With a golden goblet in hand, Terrestrial Dragon King looked at his son and daughter-in-law. “I have treated you both unjustly. I should make up for it. Whatever you wish for, I will give it to you.”

Lin TaiPing: “We do not want it.”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “Why not?”

Lin TaiPing: “Because what we want, no one can give to us. Even you cannot.”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “Even I am not able to give it to you? Who can give it to you then?”

Radiance glowed from within Lin TaiPing’s eyes. “Ourselves. Only ourselves.”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “What is it that you both want?”

Lin TaiPing: “What we want, we already have now.” He held onto his wife’s hand, his eyes filled with joy and contentment. The freedom, love, and happiness they desired, they now all had. This certainly was not something given to them by someone, nor was it something that could be given to them.

If you also wish to have freedom, love, and happiness, then you can only use your faith, determination, and courage to exchange for it. Apart from this, there is no other way.

Absolutely no other way.

They understood this truth, and therefore, they were able to attain it. Hence, they forever were very happy.

Who said heroes are lonely?

Our heroes are happy!

THE END
    Last edited by Hoju!; 09-23-08 at 12:45 AM.
    一杯酒,一個朋友!
    --离歌笑

Someone had made a comment somewhere on this forum that it is a pity that fan translations never include any forewords, preface, afterwords, etc. GL had included a little discussion at the beginning of this story. Unfortunately, I can't add it into TigerWong's post #1 in this thread, but I thought I would include it here. It offers some insight into the author's mindset at the time and also is a nice wrap-up.

A Chat About Wuxia Novels
    (in lieu of a preface)

Huan Le Ying Xiong [A Happy Hero; or Happy Heroes] is another new attempt because wuxia stories have reached a point where they should be evolving.

In many people’s minds, not only are wuxia novels not literature or part of the literary arts, they even cannot be considered as novels. It is just like an earthworm, which, although it can move, is not considered an animal by many people.

Admittedly, this view was created because of some people’s biases, but we ourselves cannot shift off all responsibility either. Indeed, wuxia novels are sometimes written so that they are too fantastical and absurd, too dripping with blood, and it is forgotten that “human nature” is the only thing that must not be lacking in any novel.

Human nature is not limited to anger, hatred, sorrow, and fear, but it also encompasses love and friendship, generosity and chivalry, humour and compassion.

Then why do we have to deliberately emphasize only the ugly face of it?

Furthermore, our generation of wuxia writers had started approximately with Pingjiang Buxiaosheng’s Jianghu Qi Xia Zhuan [Legend of the Strange Heroes of Jianghu] and could be considered to have experienced a transformation with Wang Dulu’s Tie Qi Yin Ping [The Armoured Steed and the Silver Bottle] and Zhu Zhencai’s Qi Sha Bei [Seven Killing Stele]. With Jin Yong’s She Diao Ying Xiong Zhuan [Eagle Shooting Heroes; aka Legend of the Condor Heroes], there was another transformation, but since then, it has been over ten years [greater than 10, less than 20] already.

In these ten plus years, the several thousands and hundreds of types of wuxia novels that have been published are already innumerable. Some storylines have practically become cliché and overused styles. Veteran readers only need to read the beginning and then they will be able to guess the ending.

Therefore, if wuxia authors wish to raise their own status, they must change; if they wish to increase their readers’ interests, they also must change.

Someone said that wuxia should shift from the “wu” [martial] to the “xia” [encompasses meanings of knight-errant, hero or heroic, chivalry]. To put this in even simpler words, it means that wuxia novels should be written with a little more about light and a little less about darkness, a bit more human nature and a bit less blood.

Someone also said that with this change, the essence of wuxia stories would be denatured, and it would no longer be “genuine” wuxia. Some readers would not be able to accept this, nor willing to accept it.

Perhaps these two views are correct, but that is why we should try new things, continuously try. Although we may not entertain any extravagant hopes that people will view our wuxia novels as “literature”, we should at least hope that people will view them as “novels” and that they will share similar status as other people’s novels – similarly able to inspire people’s hearts, similarly able to strike a sympathetic chord.

Every section in Huan Le Ying Xiong can nearly be viewed as an independent story. Even if they are read separately, it does not take away from the charm – and if it still has a little bit of charm, then this new attempt cannot be considered a failure.
    Last edited by Hoju!; 09-23-08 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Typo correction :)
    一杯酒,一個朋友!
    --离歌笑

It's been a little over a year since I picked up this little project. Ironically, things have come a full circle now. When I started, I was packing up the house ready to move hundreds of miles away for my new job, and now, I am yet again packing up the house ready to move back home.

Thank you to everyone who has followed along with this story and posted comments and encouragement. I probably would not have finished this if it hadn't been for the feedback I received. (Remember to do this for the other translators on this forum. ) A special thanks to Tiger Wong for starting this translation!

Hope people have enjoyed this story like I did. Cheers to all!
    一杯酒,一個朋友!
    --离歌笑

Thank you so much for all your work, Hoju! Not only for a great story but also the determination to also end it. MANY MANY MANY thanks for a great story which I probably would have missed if it wan't in a language i understand.

thanks hoju for doing a fabulous job with the translation and providing continuity for tigerwong's initial work. this translation made my day on so many occasions as the interactions between the characters put a smile on my lips. a special thanks for including the foreword to help us understand why gu long set to write a happy hero.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Many, many thanks Hoju! especially the preface which possibly explains the happy ending......a nice change from other standard endings of violent vengeance. I really enjoyed it. Best wishes for your move.

Thumbs up

Please can somebody post the unabridged thread of 'A Happy Hero'.
    And well awesome translation.
    Kudos

Default THNX

Thanx, and finally end of another good novel.

thank you so much to HOJU for such a splendid job.
    Rose blooms best near death
    You are in full bloom, Pal!

Thanks so much Hoju. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this story. I never cease to be amazed at the generosity of the translators who devote so much of their time and effort to bring enjoyment to others.