Thread: Did anyone initially think Yeung Hong was going to be the protagonist of LOCH?

Default Did anyone initially think Yeung Hong was going to be the protagonist of LOCH?

The first time I watched LOCH, I initially thought Yeung Hong was going to be the protagonist of the story. After all, he had the (relatively) more glamorous parents and more obvious martial arts talent early on. I was surprised when the story started focusing on Gwok Jing and actually kind of neglected Yeung Hong for a long time. I was doubly surprised to find out that Yeung Hong would be the main antagonist of the story. Anyone have a similar experience on their first run through of LOCH?

Really cannot remember. On a different note, I always wonder whether JY has ever thought of a guy-gal instead of two guys for the storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Really cannot remember. On a different note, I always wonder whether JY has ever thought of a guy-gal instead of two guys for the storyline.
    Who knows, but I like the way it turned out. Truly was surprised the first time when it became apparent that Yeung Hong would be the antagonist of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Who knows, but I like the way it turned out. Truly was surprised the first time when it became apparent that Yeung Hong would be the antagonist of the story.
    Naww, the VHS tape covers clearly had Felix and Barbara as the main leads plus when the theme song plays, the cutscenes again emphasize Felix more.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

It was a common theory that JY was planning on joint male leads/protagonists similar to Handsome Siblings. Personally I would have liked it if JY did a mix double plot ie. make MNC a great martial artist unquestioningly devoted to YK, so that he can compete with team GJ/HR on an equal footing.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Naww, the VHS tape covers clearly had Felix and Barbara as the main leads plus when the theme song plays, the cutscenes again emphasize Felix more.
    In the early 1980s, when the VHS tapes were first distributed to North America and other territories, the tapes didn't even come in nice packages with photographs and hype material. They were in unmarked, generic VHS envelopes, with only the label (in official TVB LOCH livery, color-coded red for Part 1, blue for Part 2, and green for Part 3) to identify them.

It also didn't occur to me until later that the opening theme song did emphasize Gwok Jing and Wong Yung much more than Yeung Hong and Muk Lim Chi.

It also didn't occur to me until later that the opening theme song did emphasize Gwok Jing and Wong Yung much more than Yeung Hong and Muk Lim Chi.
    I mean, the VHS version I saw also had the advert break cut-scenes where it shows Felix drawing the bow and the legendary Dragon Palm power up sequence!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    I mean, the VHS version I saw also had the advert break cut-scenes where it shows Felix drawing the bow and the legendary Dragon Palm power up sequence!
    Yeah...it took me until ten episodes in, when Yeung Hong made his first appearance as a young adult, to realize that his role in the story was not going to be that of a protagonist.

Yeah...it took me until ten episodes in, when Yeung Hong made his first appearance as a young adult, to realize that his role in the story was not going to be that of a protagonist.
    Seriously dude!