Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Yun Zhong Ge 《云中歌》 - Angelababy, Lu Yi, Chen Xiao, Du Chun, Yang Rong

Quote Originally Posted by Ransi View Post
    The cast looks good in costume! Although I thought only Meng Jue had white hair (and even then he dyes it black), yet it seems all three of theme have some form of white strand in their hair?
    I don't think Yun Ge has a white strand in her hair. I think it's just the way her hair is parted?

Glimpse of Lu Yi in costume

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/large/c143ec1fjw1e3ou9dwx9aj.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/large/c5dfa688jw1e3o3pvr5gfj.jpg')

I'll keep an open mind about this adaptation because AB looks her part and she's very pretty in costume. I like Lu Yi but together these two still show their age gap. Du Chun...no comment. =/

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    I don't think Yun Ge has a white strand in her hair. I think it's just the way her hair is parted?
    Ah! I think you're right. That's a relief.

Lu Yi looks great in costume! There's really a sense of Ling Ge Ge in his appearance!
    Last edited by Ransi; 04-14-13 at 02:04 PM.

wow lu yi actually still looks really good! i'm glad.

can someone spoil me as to the one yun ge is truly in love with/ends up with please? haha

Quote Originally Posted by ChineseChik525 View Post

can someone spoil me as to the one yun ge is truly in love with/ends up with please? haha
    It breaks my heart to even think about the ending. I felt like stabbing the books after finishing the second book.

SPOILERS BELOW!!!

I haven't read the whole story, since only parts of it are translated into English. From my understanding, Yun Ge originally fell in love with Meng Jue, but he betrayed her trust and love by briefly entertaining the thought about marrying Huo Cheng Jun for power. When he realized power could not replace Yun Ge, it was too late; she had already fallen in love with Ling Gege. In the end, Ling Gege died. Yun Ge lost the baby she had with Ling Gege. She left towards the end, wishing to forever hold her memories of Ling Gege close to her and forget everyone else, including Meng Jue. Broken-hearted, Meng Jue begged her to stay, but she refused. I believe Meng Jue died not long after Yun Ge's departure, sentenced to death by Liu Bing Yi and killed by a thousand arrows.

It looks like there is going to be so much more photos and news on here, heh by the rate this is going and the lack of news On Da Mo Yao , Yung Zhong Ge is probably going to air before DMY hehhe. If this novel was made back in the days I can see Vincent Jiao being Ling Gege and Yan Kuan as Ming Jue, and my beloved Carmen lee or Alyssa Chai as Yun Ge.

SPOILER

Yun Ge is in love with Liu Fu Ling, but Meng Jue is the male lead of the story according to the author. To stand up for Meng Jue a bit so he doesn't seem completely heartless...

My memory of the first half of the series is a bit blurry since I read that a few years ago, but from what I recall, Meng Jue never thought that Yun Ge was replaceable. The reason why Yun Ge broke it off with Meng Jue wasn't so much over the Huo Cheng Jun incident as it was over the misconception that she had been used by Meng Jue all along. She realized that Meng Jue's initial meeting with her wasn't coincidental and that he had been planning everything up to the point where he told her to wear a hairpin and showed her off as his future wife to one of Meng Jiu's old acquaintances seemingly in exchange for monopoly power in the capital (this saves Meng Jue and Yun Ge's lives later on as well). I think it's not really as flat/heartless as Yun Ge thinks, but since I hadn't read Da Mo Yao at the time and didn't know the depths of the character relationships, I think I may have missed quite a bit in regards to the Meng Jiu side of things. As such, I actually disliked Meng Jue until the 3rd volume. What Yun Ge didn't realize at the time, was that the reason why their first meeting wasn't coincidental was since he'd been trying to make her fall in love with him not to use her, but since he'd been in love with her for a decade now.

Actually, Meng Jue cares for Yun Ge greatly. One of the most touching moments in the story for me thus far, was the moment when Meng Jue was severely injured in the 3rd volume as a result of Yun Ge's actions and Yun Ge rushes through the imperial barricade to save him. Running from the royal guards with Meng Jue on her back, Yun Ge asks Meng Jue to tell her a story in order so that he won't lose consciousness. And so he tells her a story: that there was once a little boy who was saved by a skylark. He would very secretively seek out more information about the skylark, but she had completely forgotten about him. He went to the skylark's home to seek her hand in marriage, worried that he wasn't good enough and that she wouldn't fall for him. The skylark wouldn't even take a look at him and flew away. So he chased after her...

Meng Jue has been in love with Yun Ge for many years now and is the fiance entrusted by Yun Ge's parents to come to the capital to take care of Yun Ge. You may recall how she ran away from a marriage in the first chapter? Although he's ambitious and prideful, he was willing to drop everything and leave the city together with Yun Ge. But she refuses to leave and isn't willing to forgive him. I'm only about halfway through the 3rd volume, but that's how things stand as of current.

END SPOILER
    Last edited by Ransi; 04-15-13 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransi View Post
    SPOILER

Yun Ge is in love with Liu Fu Ling, but Meng Jue is the male lead of the story according to the author. To stand up for Meng Jue a bit so he doesn't seem completely heartless...

My memory of the first half of the series is a bit blurry since I read that a few years ago, but from what I recall, Meng Jue never thought that Yun Ge was replaceable. The reason why Yun Ge broke it off with Meng Jue wasn't so much over the Huo Cheng Jun incident as it was over the misconception that she had been used by Meng Jue all along. She realized that Meng Jue's initial meeting with her wasn't coincidental and that he had been planning everything up to the point where he told her to wear a hairpin and showed her off as his future wife to one of Meng Jiu's old acquaintances seemingly in exchange for monopoly power in the capital (this saves Meng Jue and Yun Ge's lives later on as well). I think it's not really as flat/heartless as Yun Ge thinks, but since I hadn't read Da Mo Yao at the time and didn't know the depths of the character relationships, I think I may have missed quite a bit in regards to the Meng Jiu side of things. As such, I actually disliked Meng Jue until the 3rd volume. What Yun Ge didn't realize at the time, was that the reason why their first meeting wasn't coincidental was since he'd been trying to make her fall in love with him not to use her, but since he'd been in love with her for a decade now.

Actually, Meng Jue cares for Yun Ge greatly. One of the most touching moments in the story for me thus far, was the moment when Meng Jue was severely injured in the 3rd volume as a result of Yun Ge's actions and Yun Ge rushes through the imperial barricade to save him. Running from the royal guards with Meng Jue on her back, Yun Ge asks Meng Jue to tell her a story in order so that he won't lose consciousness. And so he tells her a story: that there was once a little boy who was saved by a skylark. He would very secretively seek out more information about the skylark, but she had completely forgotten about him. He went to the skylark's home to seek her hand in marriage, worried that he wasn't good enough and that she wouldn't fall for him. The skylark wouldn't even take a look at him and flew away. So he chased after her...

Meng Jue has been in love with Yun Ge for many years now and is the fiance entrusted by Yun Ge's parents to come to the capital to take care of Yun Ge. You may recall how she ran away from a marriage in the first chapter? Although he's ambitious and prideful, he was willing to drop everything and leave the city together with Yun Ge. But she refuses to leave and isn't willing to forgive him. I'm only about halfway through the 3rd volume, but that's how things stand as of current.

END SPOILER
    If ever there was a story where both male leads could have the girl, it would be this one. I really wish we could clone a second Yun Ge for Meng Jue because I thought he really deserved her as well. Though LFL died early, he really did have the better ending compared to MJ.

did Meng Jue actually die at the end of the novel and get killed by Liu Bing Yi? Like you I only read parts of the volume 3 translated by Ms.K. I also missed out the part where Yun Ge saved Meng Jue. Poor Meng Jue.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    SPOILERS BELOW!!!

I haven't read the whole story, since only parts of it are translated into English. From my understanding, Yun Ge originally fell in love with Meng Jue, but he betrayed her trust and love by briefly entertaining the thought about marrying Huo Cheng Jun for power. When he realized power could not replace Yun Ge, it was too late; she had already fallen in love with Ling Gege. In the end, Ling Gege died. Yun Ge lost the baby she had with Ling Gege. She left towards the end, wishing to forever hold her memories of Ling Gege close to her and forget everyone else, including Meng Jue. Broken-hearted, Meng Jue begged her to stay, but she refused. I believe Meng Jue died not long after Yun Ge's departure, sentenced to death by Liu Bing Yi and killed by a thousand arrows.

yikes. this just sounds really sad. i don't even want to read it anymore lol. at least da mo yao ended with the couple alive!

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    If ever there was a story where both male leads could have the girl, it would be this one. I really wish we could clone a second Yun Ge for Meng Jue because I thought he really deserved her as well. Though LFL died early, he really did have the better ending compared to MJ.
    SPOILER

Agreed! I was completely devastated by Liu Fu Ling's death and actually dropped the book shortly after reading that part (before deciding to pick it up again recently), but was nonetheless completely satisfied with his ending. Despite how young he died, I felt that he at least died at the pinnacle of happiness in Yun Ge's arms. Particularly memorable was the message that he left Yun Ge: despite how obscure the path may seem, there is always a way to make it through til the end. He was always so positive in his thinking that I felt he truly passed on with no regrets.

The few days that they lived together as a married couple was so blissful that it really puts Yun Ge's later marriage of retribution to Meng Jue into stark contrast. Having the male lead be the third wheel to a fairytale-like relationship fighting to win a girl from a fairytale-like prince just gives you a sense of futility. Meng Jue's full of flaws in comparison to Liu Fu Ling, but that's what makes him human. Sadly, Ling Ge Ge is just too blindingly beautiful in regards to his character traits, so it wasn't until he had completely disappeared from the story, that I could actually appreciate the imperfect Meng Jue.

yikes. this just sounds really sad. i don't even want to read it anymore lol. at least da mo yao ended with the couple alive!
    You should definitely finish it! I think it's better written than Da Mo Yao in regards to both plot complexity and character development. It's also not as depressing of a story as it may seem. The main reason why I had stopped after Liu Fu Ling's death was since he had been irreplaceable and so I didn't think the story would be the same without him. However, his death in itself wasn't written in a depressing way. It was actually quite hopeful and motivational in a sense. Although I've yet to finish the last volume, from a glimpse of the ending, it seems Yun Ge decides to start over, live her life fully and travel the world collecting all those local anecdotes that he liked to hear so that she could tell him later on. She would collect recipes, publish cook books, practice medicine, and live a full life together with the cherished memory of her Ling Ge Ge.

END SPOILER
    Last edited by Ransi; 04-16-13 at 02:12 AM.

Ransi, thanks for the spoilers. I have to rely on the incomplete English translation, and hence could not fully comprehend the complexity of Meng Jue's character. However, after your explanation of Meng Jue's story of the little boy and the skylark, I really hurt for him. I'm probably one of the few who prefer Meng Jue's flaws (even without fully understanding his character) to Ling Gege's perfection. Ling Gege is just too flawless that I find it very difficult to visualize him as a live and breathing man. Anyway, did Yun Ge ever find out that Meng Jue had been in love with her for many years and his orchestration of their meeting was not due to greed for power but out of love? Did she realize his skylark story was about her? I actually think it's a refreshing twist to have the male lead be the third wheel. I think male lead these days find love too easily. It's nice to see one work for the female lead's love.

Yyouus, I think Meng Jue did die at the end. I can't remember where I read about it, but I remember that someone mentioned his last dying thought was whether Yun Ge still thought of him as he was thinking of her at that last moment of his life. My memory could be faulty, and I could be wrong, though.

sparkskey picked up the translation where koalasplayground left off...it's incomplete for now but hopefully that'll change soon.

As for Meng Jue's backstory, take a look at the following link and read sparkskey's quick translation of what happened when YG was trying to save MJ (in the comments section). This includes the skylark story. From that, I believe YG did know about MJ's love for her, but she at that point she was devoted to LFL even in his death and consumed with anger/hatred for all that had happened.

http://sparkskey.livejournal.com/60127.html

The ending was heartbreaking but I find it so fitting in a way.
    In the end YG lets go of everything, forgets all the love and hate and misunderstandings, and instead chooses to travel with the love that is in her heart. This devastates MJ because he wants anything but for her to forget him.

I believe MJ dies as well...correct me if I'm wrong, but it wasn't explicitly stated in the book. I don't think there could've been any other way. He knew too much, and he even if he lived there would be no way he and YG can be together with all that had happened between them. And, I think for a person as passionate as he was and who loved YG so strongly, death is a better ending for him than to live the rest of his life knowing that his existence means nothing to the person he loves the most.

All these ending spoilers are making me rooting for LFL and not MJ.

I can see now why YZ is hell bent in producing this series. I haven't even read the novel but from the spoilers here, the love story sounds beautiful for YG-LFL part and tragically beautiful in a sense. It's a perfect love story for love story addict YZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Ransi, thanks for the spoilers. I have to rely on the incomplete English translation, and hence could not fully comprehend the complexity of Meng Jue's character. However, after your explanation of Meng Jue's story of the little boy and the skylark, I really hurt for him. I'm probably one of the few who prefer Meng Jue's flaws (even without fully understanding his character) to Ling Gege's perfection. Ling Gege is just too flawless that I find it very difficult to visualize him as a live and breathing man...I actually think it's a refreshing twist to have the male lead be the third wheel. I think male lead these days find love too easily. It's nice to see one work for the female lead's love.

You're welcome! I think it's innovative creating this sort of male lead as well. He's definitely more human than the other male love interests in both Yun Zhong Ge and Da Mo Yao and is most likely one of the key components that makes Yun Zhong Ge such a compelling story.

Quote Originally Posted by happyswallow View Post
    This devastates MJ because he wants anything but for her to forget him.
    I find it interesting how at the time of his death, all Liu Fu Ling wants is for Yun Ge to forget him and move on. And though she promises him to do so, he becomes eternal to her. Yet the person who actually wants her to remember him is the one she forgets time and again.

That's fantastic that somebody translated that skylark scene! That scene along with Liu Fu Ling's sunrise in the mountains scene are definitely the emotional highlights of the series. There's actually a lot of aspects of Meng Jue's character that I didn't realize (possibly due to my initial Ling Ge Ge bias) until I read the author's commentary. Here's some snippets since the whole thing is too long (she addresses Meng Jue in the 2nd person POV):

From the first volume, I'd already begun contemplating whether or not you would reveal to Liu Xun how much he truly owed you (Tong Hua is referring to how Liu Xun/Liu Bing Yi owes his life to the fact that Meng Jue's little brother was executed as a small child in his place). Given your brilliance, would you not realize that this was a debt that you could take advantage of? By the time I reached the third volume, it became obvious to me that you wouldn't. A favor earned by exploiting your little brother's death isn't something you'd accept, much less use. Thus, despite Zhang He's continuous attacks, you never admitted it. You erased all traces of the incident even though you realized that with a single nod, perhaps Zhang He would have sworn his life to protect you -- even though you realized that behind Zhang He supporting him was the military power, Zhang An Shi.

Are you truly clever or foolish? If the situation were reversed, Liu Xun would have without a doubt admitted to the deed. And yet you're not him. You, who deemed that there was nothing and nobody who couldn't be used, ultimately are not an outstanding politican like Liu Xun or Huo Guang. You've forgotten that a true politician lacks self-esteem and pride. For as long as you have your pride, you can never become like them.

In the second volume, you had obviously been sitting at her bedside for an entire afternoon. Yet when she awoke, you only told her that you'd just arrived. You requested her hand in marriage in exchange for saving Liu Fu Ling's life. Yet from sunset until late evening, you were hesitant to leave that greenhouse. From the depths of your heart, you had hoped that Yun Ge would reject you, that the person standing outside the greenhouse would walk away. Had Yun Ge rejected your conditions, you probably would have happily gone to save him instead. Yet she unexpectedly agreed! The moment when you saw that figure beneath the wisteria trellis, when she agreed to marry you to save his life, how did you feel? Immeasurable anger and grief perhaps?

As such, she and you missed each other once again. Had she not agreed, you on the contrary would have saved him unconditionally. Had you saved him so selflessly, she on the other hand would have been unable to let you go. However, neither you nor she could have known! In the 2nd volume, the two of you could only drift further and further apart. Along with the worsening of Liu Fu Ling's condition, your place within her heart gradually faded.

In the end, could you perceive as well that it was no longer possible for you to be the only one within Yun Ge's heart? It's something you couldn't prevent. You're incapable of restraining Liu Fu Ling's presence from taking root and blossoming within her heart. You could only settle for second, with the hope that in her remaining lifetime, you would become the one that's unforgettable.

Did you realize, that from volume 1 to volume 3 chapter 11, in the span of more than 500,000 words, not once did you directly confess your feelings? Within Wei Yang Palace, you only admitted to being a man who kept his promises. What promise exactly were you keeping? You simply like her -- you're in love with her, to the extent of wanting to be together with her. Why couldn't you just directly tell her?
    Last edited by Ransi; 04-17-13 at 01:51 AM.

AB and Su Qing

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/large/6fe6b187jw1e3seor3863j.jpg')

Chen Xiao
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/697f3d57jw1e3qdt8kag5j.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/696bb8b5gw1e457twvseyj20i80i8780.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/76477795jw1e3zhpe78rej20hs2ig4eo.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/mw690/76477795jw1e415nnqcrbj20qo0k0n02.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/mw690/76477795jw1e43yt6hpgyj20hs0dcq5k.jpg')