Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Foundation 《決戰玄武門》 (1984)

But I can't even find the vcd edition. Do you know where i can get it?

Quote Originally Posted by addicted2tvb View Post
    Love this series and have been looking for it everywhere! Does someone know where I can buy it? I live in the US. DVD version preferred. Thanks!
    People told me this series is available on DVD for Vietnamese dub viewers.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post

I swear if it wasn't for Felix, Barbara, MKW, and all, I wouldn't have finished the series. The storyline was weak.
    Same here. Actually, I didn't even get to the ending because it was too depressing. I think I stopped right when Felix's character found out about Barbara's character's death. Aside from the cast, the songs were also great. I especially like the ending song by Michelle Pau (well, all songs were by her).

Does anyone know where to download this series in Canto but with English subtitles? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chibidaisuke View Post
    Does anyone know where to download this series in Canto but with English subtitles? Thanks
    http://en.yekan123.com/tvb/juezhanxuanwu/#.UYxbNrUWK8o

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.yekan123.com/upload/v4/201211207347794125204.jpg')
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 05-09-13 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyH View Post
    So is Lee Shai Man suppose to be good or bad? I saw so much series and some portrayed the character as bad and some were good. I'm wondering if I should see this series...
    As an emperor, Lee Sai Man is one of the greatest, if not the greatest, in history. As a person, he is very bad. Beside killing his two brothers Li Jiancheng and Li Yuanji, he killed all their sons as well. In addition, he took Li Yuanji's wife, Princess Yang, as a concubine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Taizong_of_Tang

I used to like this series a lot when I was a kid but when I rewatch it I mostly watch the beginning. I didn't quite like the ending. I felt really bad for Miu kiu wai's sister. I think the actress name was ging dor yum (sorry for the bad English spelling). I really thought she would end up with Felix's character.

I agree with you guys that Barbara should have been able to say something before she died. But you saw that she looked disappointed at him before dying.

I also thought Austin Wai's character was very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    I used to like this series a lot when I was a kid but when I rewatch it I mostly watch the beginning. I didn't quite like the ending. I felt really bad for Miu kiu wai's sister. I think the actress name was ging dor yum (sorry for the bad English spelling). I really thought she would end up with Felix's character.

I agree with you guys that Barbara should have been able to say something before she died. But you saw that she looked disappointed at him before dying.

I also thought Austin Wai's character was very sad.
    I actually thought that all the men deserved their end in some strange way and that consequence of their choices meant that they could not have a happy ending. All of them (apart from Kent and now that was sad!) had a chance of a simple life with someone they loved and loved them back but they all gave it up for power, status and fame. They all regretted it after it was too late and the one they loved paid the price.

Felix did it for fame and status in wulin, Michael did it for the throne, and Austin did it for fame and fortune (you thought he did it for revenge initially but he got easily bribed by Kent so he's a hypocrite). Out of them all, Austin was the worse because he made his girlfriend kill herself out of guilt so that he selfishly did not have to worry about her in the final fight. At least Michael took Barbara out and made her happy before he turned around and stabbed her. Felix is just stupid. Kent did it out of desperation and anger and jealousy as he had nothing else (that woman was really not worth it).
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    I actually thought that all the men deserved their end in some strange way and that consequence of their choices meant that they could not have a happy ending. All of them (apart from Kent and now that was sad!) had a chance of a simple life with someone they loved and loved them back but they all gave it up for power, status and fame. They all regretted it after it was too late and the one they loved paid the price.

Felix did it for fame and status in wulin, Michael did it for the throne, and Austin did it for fame and fortune (you thought he did it for revenge initially but he got easily bribed by Kent so he's a hypocrite). Out of them all, Austin was the worse because he made his girlfriend kill herself out of guilt so that he selfishly did not have to worry about her in the final fight. At least Michael took Barbara out and made her happy before he turned around and stabbed her. Felix is just stupid. Kent did it out of desperation and anger and jealousy as he had nothing else (that woman was really not worth it).
    Among all the men, I think Felix is pretty much the only person truly regretted about his action and his action wasn't all that bad if you compare it to Michael's and Austin's. Michael and Austin did not regret about their actions. Although Michael loved Barbara but he loved the throne much more. He even told Felix that he doesn't regret about his actions before Felix spared his life. Regarding Austin, I don't think he cared much about fame and fortune, his only goal of his life was revenge.

If they all have a second chance, Felix would not leave Barbara for fame and martial art. Michael would still kill her for the throne. I am not sure about Austin.

Artists, martial arts, costumes, songs, background music and storyline are great. They are much better than serials these days.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 06-22-15 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Among all the men, I think Felix is pretty much the only person truly regretted about his action and his action wasn't all that bad if you compare it to Michael's and Austin's. Michael and Austin did not regret about their actions. Although Michael loved Barbara but he loved the throne much more. He even told Felix that he doesn't regret about his actions before Felix spared his life. Regarding Austin, I don't think he cared much about fame and fortune, his only goal of his life was revenge.

If they all have a second chance, Felix would not leave Barbara for fame and martial art. Michael would still kill her for the throne. I am not sure about Austin.

Artists, martial arts, costumes, songs, background music and storyline are great. They are much better than serials these days.
    Agree about Felix and Michael. But i think Michael was sad about killing Barbara but would still done the same thing again.

Austin would have definitely told his girl to kill herself for the 100th time if he thought it helped him. But remember, Austin kept on going on how he wants to kill all the Lis just for revenge yet Kent easily bribed him with fame and fortune when Austin had a sword at his neck after he tried to assassinate Li Shimin. Then Austin was a willing pawn in the game, wanting it all when Kent came to the throne. He did not give a rats about his family's vengeance then. That guy is one lying hypocrite.

Should have named this series "The Foundation of Jerks".
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Should have named this series "The Foundation of Jerks".
    That's a good one. Agree though that Michael was sad about killing Barbara, but for me at least, she was so annoying that I wasn't too bummed about her fate.
    玉木宏

blog

Quote Originally Posted by junny View Post
    That's a good one. Agree though that Michael was sad about killing Barbara, but for me at least, she was so annoying that I wasn't too bummed about her fate.
    I think Michael was perfectly happy to compromise with his cousin as the Empress and Barbara as a concubine or a woman who he could hide away. But Barbara did not understand the importance of a political marriage for a noble. She just wanted a guy who could live a simple life with her for the rest of his life, farming or sewing to make a living. Being a country and uneducated woman, her views are understandable even though irritating.

As for Michael, he was born into such a complicated family that he had no whims into accepting his uncle's marriage proposal without hesitation because in his mind, marriage did not equal love. He was happy double-timing both women til his cousin found out about Barbara and confronted her. The problem came when Michael's uncle threatened to withdraw his support if he did not kill Barbara. He did try to send her away but Barbara couldn't see why and wouldn't leave. That when he was forced to kill her.

These two do look sweet together, but are wrong for each other due to family background and views. Barbara will never survive in the palace with her mindset and background and Michael will never leave his country and family for her. It has been ingrained into him that the Tang Dynasty is more important than anything in the world. These two were wrong from the beginning.
    Cyril Connolly

I agree, felix would pick Barbara the second time around. Michael would kill her and Austin would still ask his gf to kill herself. So sad.... Howcome kent didn't get what he deserve at the end? He was after the throne too and was scheming with his older brother. But then again it look more like he was just using Bobby. Totally agree the cousin was not worth it.

I don't think Michael like the cousin at all in a love point of view but more as a friend.
    Feel bad for Michaels sister the most. Witness her brother kill her other two brothers.

I agree, felix would pick Barbara the second time around. Michael would kill her and Austin would still ask his gf to kill herself. So sad.... Howcome kent didn't get what he deserve at the end? He was after the throne too and was scheming with his older brother. But then again it look more like he was just using Bobby. Totally agree the cousin was not worth it.

I don't think Michael like the cousin at all in a love point of view but more as a friend.
    Feel bad for Michaels sister the most. Witness her brother kill her other two brothers.
    I don't even think Michael like the cousin as a friend either since she was so clingy. She was just a tool to get the throne. And if he had to kill Barbara for her, he would not love her either. She is so pathetic. Her father was going to marry to which ever prince got the throne anyway. He initially wanted her to marry Bobby, but then she liked Michael so he gave in.

Yeah, Kent was just using Bobby to get to the throne. As third in line, he could not do anything. But by using Bobby, the Crown Prince as well the eldest child as a shield and an excuse, he could take down the powerful 2nd Prince (Michael), then get rid of Bobby later on and claim the throne when Michael was gone.

I enjoyed the political sturggles rather than the wuxia elements in here. Though I thought it was funny how Austin was killed by his own sword which got unstuck from the ceiling and fell on him.
    Cyril Connolly

Yeh I thought it was interesting how he died like that instead of someone killing him.

lol yes the cousin was a bit annoying but can't blame her for loving Michael.

I cannot remember why felix master accepted him even after he failed the test to be a student there.

I cannot remember why felix master accepted him even after he failed the test to be a student there.
    I can't remember exactly but I think because he was a honest guy.
    Cyril Connolly

I just remember he dies halfway into the series and I think Felix takes over the clan.
    Do not like Felix's hair in the series >_<

Life is short especially during ancient time where a simple toothache can be fatal. It's sad that people throw away their happiness for things that they don't really need in life.

I think Michael was perfectly happy to compromise with his cousin as the Empress and Barbara as a concubine or a woman who he could hide away. But Barbara did not understand the importance of a political marriage for a noble. She just wanted a guy who could live a simple life with her for the rest of his life, farming or sewing to make a living. Being a country and uneducated woman, her views are understandable even though irritating.

These two do look sweet together, but are wrong for each other due to family background and views. Barbara will never survive in the palace with her mindset and background and Michael will never leave his country and family for her. It has been ingrained into him that the Tang Dynasty is more important than anything in the world. These two were wrong from the beginning.
    Both Felix and Barbara are from the country side so they both don't really understand much about politics and power struggle. Felix survived because he was very lucky. He was nearly death many many times. They both should just stay in country side and live a simple life. They won't last long in power struggle.

Regarding Michael, he should tell Barbara the truth and at least tell Felix to protect her.

I can't remember exactly but I think because he was a honest guy.
    Felix failed the test but Michael helped him to pass it on the second attempt.

I just remember he dies halfway into the series and I think Felix takes over the clan.
    Do not like Felix's hair in the series >_<
    I really like Felix's hair in the series. It's so unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I really like Felix's hair in the series. It's so unique.
    I find it goofy looking. The fringe doesn't suit his face. And it doesn't suit his clothes after he becomes the leader of Ho Tin Clan.
    Cyril Connolly

Did anyone pick this up in Taiwan on DVD? it was listed on JSDVD as of 2007... but they only say it's 12 episodes long... but 774 mins run time... recut from 40 mins in HK to 65 mins an episode for Taiwan?