Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Political Correctness

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare View Post
    Got nothing to do with leftism or rightism. There are enough people like that on both sides of the barricade (on all sides of all barricades, actually).
    Sure, but the Lefties dominate in that area.

I think they are all pretty much on the same level. But I don't care about them being perverted or political or whatever. It's that one god, one truth, one morality nonsense that renders them pretty cringeworthy to me - and it's also where much of their destructive potential comes from.
    What destructive potential?
    In the West, most of the riots and the destruction of other people's property comes from the morally bankrupt Left...and they think they're right.
    Last edited by JamesG; 11-15-10 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG View Post

In the West, most of the riots and the destruction of other people's property comes from the morally bankrupt Left...and they think they're right.
    I think she was referring to the Crusades and all the violence spawned from the idea that your god is fake and my god is real.

Left, Right, Left, Right... what's the difference? It's just the same March of Tyranny.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
    Yeah, sure, whatever.

Huge destructive potential.
    Banh Mi mentioned crusades. Then there's the religious dimension to European (and American) colonialism. And a lot of bloodshed that took place on the European continent was closely linked to this "my idea of god has bigger Schwarz than your idea of god" idiocy. Then there are witch hunts, burning of heretics and so on and so further. And Northern Ireland. That's just Christianity.
    Old testament is full of this my god vs. your pantheon/god nonsense and some of those stories get bloody.
    And we sure need not elaborate on the destructive aspects of Islam.
    I won't deny that all these belief systems have their positive aspects as well or that it's the kind of outlook that can sometimes bring out the best in people.
    But to me, a monotheist worldview is a very, very alien thing.

In the West, most of the riots and the destruction of other people's property comes from the morally bankrupt Left...
    LOL...:-]
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

And we sure need not elaborate on the destructive aspects of Islam.
    What destructive aspect?

Quote Originally Posted by Ace High View Post
    What destructive aspect?
    The "we are right, our god is THE god, our book is THE book" one. Pretty much the same kind that I dislike about its predecessors. It's just that Islam has more stamina left.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

The "we are right, our god is THE god, our book is THE book" one. Pretty much the same kind that I dislike about its predecessors. It's just that Islam has more stamina left.
    If that is so, you should write the destructive aspects of abrahamic religions, since its pretty much the same kind.

or is it okay for a religion to say "we are right, our god is THE god, our book is THE book" but its wrong for another religion to say "we are right, our god is THE god, our book is THE book"?

If that is so, you should write the destructive aspects of abrahamic religions, since its pretty much the same kind.

or is it okay for a religion to say "we are right, our god is THE god, our book is THE book" but its wrong for another religion to say "we are right, our god is THE god, our book is THE book"?
    In your agitated state of mind (reading someone criticising your religion), you totally miss Cesere's point. Reading this thread alone, anyone can see that Cesere does not view any abrahamic religion in a favourable light. She never said it's ok for any religion to say "we are right, our god is THE god, our book is THE book". She is not ok with any religion saying that. She also wrote in details the destructive aspect of Christianity like the witchhunt and crusade. But, of course you ignore those and just focus on that one line about Islam (which is what matters to you).

Christianity got one paragraph detailing its destructiveness while Islam only got one line.
    Last edited by kidd; 11-16-10 at 12:52 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    In your agitated state of mind (reading someone criticising your religion), you totally miss Cesere's point. Reading this thread alone, anyone can see that Cesere does not view any abrahamic religion in a favourable light. She never said it's ok for any religion to say "we are right, our god is THE god, our book is THE book". She is not ok with any religion saying that. She also wrote in details the destructive aspect of Christianity like the witchhunt and crusade. But, of course you ignore those and just focus on that one line about Islam (which is what matters to you).

Christianity got one paragraph detailing its destructiveness while Islam only got one line.
    Sometimes, its the one liners that did much harm, since its could well imply its a well known fact. Furthermore, without any explanation, the readers' mind will make their own assumption, for better or worse.

Destructive potential exist in everyone, me included.

Blaming religion for the act of individuals (or a group of individuals ) is wrong to me, no matter what religion it is.
    Last edited by Ace High; 11-16-10 at 07:47 PM.

Any ideology and any religion of course has destructive potential, because *humans* have a lot of that. Just look at Tibetan Buddhism. In the minds of most people I know it's like the most benign thing out there, but it only takes a little digging into the history of Inner Asian regions to find out that Buddhists could be awfully mean when they chose to.

Abrahamic memes, however, have proven somewhat more aggressive than many others, esp. in the region where I come from.
    Of course it is ultimately the people who do the harm, but when their motivations, excuses, reasoning and/or rationalizations are ideological/religious, you can't just wave it away and say that "they got it wrong" - it never hurts to look at where their excuses come from.

I personally prefer to respect people and their choices, rather than the belief systems they choose. Whatever I might think of Islam or Christianity or Judaism, I have friends who chose these beliefs for themselves for good and noble reasons - and I'm all for that.
    I just find the idea of one god (and one morality, one truth, one universal concept of right and wrong, one democracy) for *everybody* (whether they want him/her/it or not), everywhere and in all times very stupid and very dangerous. It basically tells folks from Middle East/North America/Western Europe/wherever that they have some kind of moral right or even obligation to superimpose their outlook and way of conduct on folks who live on the other end of the world, in a different society (and are more or less content with it).

I have never said that Abrahamic religions are pure evil or that they haven't inspired people to do wonderful things. I merely stated that there is a lot of destructive potential (yes, in my opinion there is more destructive drive in Judaism or Christianity or Islam than - say - in wicca (ridiculous as it is) or tengerism).

As for my not elaborating on destructive aspects of Islam - news reports are full of that (biased though they are) and I prefer to target the other two - simply because Islam gets waaay too much bad press already and it's not like the two older Abrahamic traditions are in principle more benign.
    Gotta admit that my formulation was clumsy at best. (I suck at PC, even though I occassionally defend its moderate use.)
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

The way i see it, the problem isn't came from religion, but from inherent human destructive potential. Even if they didn't use religion based excuses, they will always find other excuses to justify their acts.

A number of wars in history was fought for numerous other reason than religion. Take Hundred Years' War for example, it has nothing to do with religion, its all about who shall be the King of France. Another example is the American Civil War.

Sometimes, its the one liners that did much harm, since its could well imply its a well known fact. Furthermore, without any explanation, the readers' mind will make their own assumption, for better or worse.
    But, that's not really your concern in your reply. When you asked Cesere for explanation, she explained why she thinks Islam is destructive. Then, you go
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace High
    . Based on that sentence, your concern was obviously not about one liners causing more harm, but, that Cesere criticised Islam. You were so agitated that you missed out all the parts where she disapprove of this same aspect in other abrahamic religions. You thought she only criticised Islam. That is the only reason I can think of why you go 'hey, why others can do it and we can't?'

I was just pointing out that she has the same disapproval of this aspect on all Abrahamic religions and she even criticised the other 2 more.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

The way i see it, the problem isn't came from religion, but from inherent human destructive potential. Even if they didn't use religion based excuses, they will always find other excuses to justify their acts.

A number of wars in history was fought for numerous other reason than religion. Take Hundred Years' War for example, it has nothing to do with religion, its all about who shall be the King of France. Another example is the American Civil War.
    Sure in the end it all boils down to people being *******s.
    All I am saying is that some ideologies tend to bring that aspect of human nature out more than some others.
    But it is getting fairly obvious that this debate between us is pretty pointless. It's not like we share a lot of common ground...;-)
    If through your religion you have become a better person and if it inspires you - good for you and kudos to you. In the end that's all that really matters.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    But, that's not really your concern in your reply. When you asked Cesere for explanation, she explained why she thinks Islam is destructive. Then, you go . Based on that sentence, your concern was obviously not about one liners causing more harm, but, that Cesere criticised Islam. You were so agitated that you missed out all the parts where she disapprove of this same aspect in other abrahamic religions. You thought she only criticised Islam. That is the only reason I can think of why you go 'hey, why others can do it and we can't?'

I was just pointing out that she has the same disapproval of this aspect on all Abrahamic religions and she even criticised the other 2 more.
    This is why

But it is getting fairly obvious that this debate between us is pretty pointless. It's not like we share a lot of common ground...;-)
    I agree with you

I know this is kind of a serious thread, but has anyone read this?

My English prof sent it to me earlier this year. It's pretty hilarious in its ridiculousness.

Due to the climate of political correctness now pervading America
    Kentuckians, Tennesseans and West Virginians will no longer be referred to as 'HILLBILLIES.'
    You must now refer to them as APPALACHIAN-AMERICANS .

And furthermore:

HOW TO SPEAK ABOUT WOMEN AND BE POLITICALLY CORRECT:

1. She is not a 'BABE' or a 'CHICK' - She is a
    ' BREASTED AMERICAN. '
    2. She is not 'EASY' - She is
    'HORIZONTALLY ACCESSIBLE..'
    3. She is not a 'DUMB BLONDE' - She is a
    'LIGHT-HAIRED DETOUR OFF THE INFORMATION SUPERHIGHWAY..'
    4. She has not 'BEEN AROUND' - She is a
    'PREVIOUSLY-ENJOYED COMPANION.'
    5. She does not 'NAG' you - She becomes
    ' VERBALLY REPETITIVE.'
    6. She is not a 'TWO-BIT HOOKER' - She is a
    ' LOW COST PROVIDER.'

HOW TO SPEAK ABOUT MEN AND BE POLITICALLY CORRECT:
    1. He does not have a 'BEER GUT' - He has developed a
    'LIQUID GRAIN STORAGE FACILITY.'
    2. He is not a 'BAD DANCER' - He is
    ' OVERLY CAUCASIAN.'
    3.. He does not 'GET LOST ALL THE TIME' - He
    ' INVESTIGATES ALTERNATIVE DESTINATIONS.'
    4. He is not 'BALDING' - He is in
    'FOLLICLE REGRESSION.'
    5. He does not act like a 'TOTAL ***' - He develops a case of
    RECTAL-CRANIAL INVERSION.'
    6. It's not his 'CRACK' you see hanging out of his pants - It's
    'TROUSER CLEAVAGE..'

LOL...:-)
    Those are good...
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

The latest US airport security measures [body scanners or pat downs] are an extreme example of PC insanity. Some folks will do absolutely anything to avoid profiling and the general population be damned. Been 'felt up' at an airport lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Cacophony View Post
    I know this is kind of a serious thread, but has anyone read this?

My English prof sent it to me earlier this year. It's pretty hilarious in its ridiculousness.

Due to the climate of political correctness now pervading America
    Kentuckians, Tennesseans and West Virginians will no longer be referred to as 'HILLBILLIES.'
    You must now refer to them as APPALACHIAN-AMERICANS .

And furthermore:

HOW TO SPEAK ABOUT WOMEN AND BE POLITICALLY CORRECT:

1. She is not a 'BABE' or a 'CHICK' - She is a
    ' BREASTED AMERICAN. '
    2. She is not 'EASY' - She is
    'HORIZONTALLY ACCESSIBLE..'
    3. She is not a 'DUMB BLONDE' - She is a
    'LIGHT-HAIRED DETOUR OFF THE INFORMATION SUPERHIGHWAY..'
    4. She has not 'BEEN AROUND' - She is a
    'PREVIOUSLY-ENJOYED COMPANION.'
    5. She does not 'NAG' you - She becomes
    ' VERBALLY REPETITIVE.'
    6. She is not a 'TWO-BIT HOOKER' - She is a
    ' LOW COST PROVIDER.'

HOW TO SPEAK ABOUT MEN AND BE POLITICALLY CORRECT:
    1. He does not have a 'BEER GUT' - He has developed a
    'LIQUID GRAIN STORAGE FACILITY.'
    2. He is not a 'BAD DANCER' - He is
    ' OVERLY CAUCASIAN.'
    3.. He does not 'GET LOST ALL THE TIME' - He
    ' INVESTIGATES ALTERNATIVE DESTINATIONS.'
    4. He is not 'BALDING' - He is in
    'FOLLICLE REGRESSION.'
    5. He does not act like a 'TOTAL ***' - He develops a case of
    RECTAL-CRANIAL INVERSION.'
    6. It's not his 'CRACK' you see hanging out of his pants - It's
    'TROUSER CLEAVAGE..'
    Hahahahahaha..... I like that!
    This is the most intelligent post that addresses to the thread!
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 11-22-10 at 07:37 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?