Thread: Swordsman 2012 《笑傲江湖》 - Wallace Huo, Joe Chen, Yuan Shan Shan

This version was just easy entertainment for me. Colorful but... ;D They titled it Swordman for the right reason. Wallace Huo can never be Smiling Proud Wanderer; only the serious pondering LHC. ;o) Some scenes were too funny, i.e. too unrealistic & like video game. DFBB & YLS outshined RYY. I've never seen such a happy RYY. The music/songs sucked btw. There are few other complaints about the actors in the elder roles but...nvm.

Good acting goes to YLS, her mother, LPZ, DFBB, & few other... Yi Ling's acting was ok, equal to or a bit better than that of RYY, but YL was like a confused scardy cat most of the time, not naturally gentle or innocent looking as a young nun. Too much makeup for nuns in general, even if they were Taoist. Except for a few, most young actresses nowadays seem to act & look alike; no one really stands out & leaves a lasting impression for their role. There wasn't really any chemistry between the main cast though. I couldn't feel any real emotion or connection from their expressions. It's like watching a group of teenage classmates doing their final acting project for graduation. ;D Good enough but not to the point where I'd anxiously wait for the next esp. Maybe my expectations are too high & my judgments too harsh. ;o) I also like Han Dong & Lu Jia Rong as Tian Bo Guang & Lan Feng Huang but they were more like clowns in this series. ;D As for Han Dong's performance, I'd rather see him as LHC than Wallace Huo. ;D I mean half of the cast can act but there's something about this version that just seems choppy, empty, & illogical to me. I don't think the producer/director is very creative or insightful when it comes to plot & character variation. Such a waste for 1 of JY's best stories.

Talk about lacking in elements, SoD 1996 still beats the 2 recent remakes in my opinion. Maybe there will be another reproduction that can be as good or close to perfection? ;o) RoCH 2006 is the only good remake of all I've seen so far.

Actually, (ep 1-28 of 56) OR (ep. 1-21 of 42) are quite good in this re-make. Once that annoying RYY got together w/ LHC, everything went downhill. The biggest problem is Yu Zheng is BOTH the producer and the screenplay writer. Why couldn't he hire someone else for the screenplay? He will be hiring others for the screenplay on some of his newer series after having too much criticism of plagiarism.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibao View Post
    If you call 1.42 million followers a few, I guess.

o.o wow. I guess a lot of people have different taste...

I am back to watching the 2001 ZJZ version. That's pure wuxia epic.
    Last edited by Surferket; 03-12-13 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladebird View Post
    that's easy: money, pretty face and a bed.
    If you say that it's because of money then why do people work? Obviously not for free!! If you say that it's because of her pretty face then why are people saying she's unattractive!!! a bed? that personally is offensive to me because that shows me that you are disrespectful and look down upon people/actresses you don't like. Stop prejudging and clustering people to a specific group if you aren't exactly certain that you're right.

That's probably how she gets it. I don't care if you are Chinese or not because what I think you should do is/what everyone should do is watch the 1996 version, that YZ literally copied all the scenes and lines. Like the death of LHC's master-lady, how his junior sister died, how RYY was poisoned, etc. He copied the 1996 script and claimed it as his own.
    Seriously I would like take your advice to consideration but if you're trying to give advice to the buyers (us) you've got to be kidding me. When i read your " I don't care if you are Chinese or not " you right then and there just ticked me off. That to me says that you are neglecting my identity and made me feel like you are pushing your luck with me. What if I say that I also don't care who you are and that I'm denying your advice. EXACTLY!!! it doesn't feel good!

Listen directors like that only appealed to the modern audience because everyone was shown nothing but trashy scripts and pretty faces. They don't care about skills anymore. If anyone want a good show got back to the pre-21st century drama. Not to say, there isn't a good one out there but it's hard to find one that relies on an actor/ess' abilities over CGI.
    I mean if the main casts aren't good looking would you watch it too? and to prove you wrong about your quote "they(directors) don't care about skills anymore" I would like to say that I'm currently taking Theatre class and the plays that I've gone to see the main guys are always so so looking and their size aren't like any of the movie actors, but their singing and acting skills are beyond what you think they would've have. This shows that it's purely based on talents.

YSS is a terrible actress but YZ puts her everywhere cause she's cheap to hire. Like chain stores, you pay workers the least and charge the highest. She's replaceable that's why she's there
    If you were to work in a job somewhere I think they'll do the same to you and everyone else because that is all about business, they hire you cheap to get the finest product.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanblue View Post
    I want LHC and DFBB to end up together too and I liked the 'cute' scenes they had together, but unfortunately, that is not the ending. The ending is kind of extremely creepy. To answer your questions, I don't know why YZ is still producing. MRXJ produced by him was legitimately good, but it ends there. And I don't know why Wallace and Joe films with him either...I know there is money, but they usually have higher standards. Both are talented and Wallace is extremely good looking, which makes up for a lot lol. And if by actress with bad acting you mean YSS, then, well, I don't think she has supporters o.O

Maybe just a few, but she has no talent....or looks.... It would be fine if she was mediocre looking with great acting skills, or at least good looking with meh acting skills, but she has none of those qualities. I actually watch her scenes for Wallace, and it is really really bad. By which I mean really really bad. But still better than Gong 2. I only got through the second episode before I just could not stand her. Did yu finish the series yet? Maybe your opinion may change.
    I know right! DFBB and LHC JIA YOU!!! about series I've also watched MRXJ the whole thing and loved it, but as for Gong 2 I didn't watch it because Yang Mi wasn't in there throughout and well the casts are I guess all so so looking to me. Swordsman I'm still waiting on subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibao View Post
    If you call 1.42 million followers a few, I guess.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/7e8a1888jw1e2lmw9382sj.jpg')
    To be fair since i think i belong to those who hate yss/ryy guts in this adaptation. I got to say I don't think yss is ugly. she's just not as beautiful as I pictured ryy to be. That's the problem with adaptions from a novel you usually have something in mind and if it doesn't live to your standards it just turns out bad. Nevermind, what I wanted to say I am actually pretty surprised that yss is quite pretty in modern looks, I actually realized this fact already forgot the name something with tian tian....she just doesn't look that flattering in ancient costumes or better say her acting is so fake that she doesn't look good while doing that whereas in an interview she's more natural, means more beautiful. At least that is my opinion and alas beauty lays in the eye of the beholder.

And the problem of this drama ist still the bad acting of some of the actors, the awful cgi and the inconsistent or non-existent character development of some core characters (lhc!!!) So even if I don't see this as a jy adaption but a totally different wuxia or better say romance/idol/video game drama, in my opinion it is still utterly bad, too many holes in the storyline and inconsistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey Xiong View Post
    If you say that it's because of money then why do people work? Obviously not for free!! If you say that it's because of her pretty face then why are people saying she's unattractive!!! a bed? that personally is offensive to me because that shows me that you are disrespectful and look down upon people/actresses you don't like. Stop prejudging and clustering people to a specific group if you aren't exactly certain that you're right.

Seriously I would like take your advice to consideration but if you're trying to give advice to the buyers (us) you've got to be kidding me. When i read your " I don't care if you are Chinese or not " you right then and there just ticked me off. That to me says that you are neglecting my identity and made me feel like you are pushing your luck with me. What if I say that I also don't care who you are and that I'm denying your advice. EXACTLY!!! it doesn't feel good!

I mean if the main casts aren't good looking would you watch it too? and to prove you wrong about your quote "they(directors) don't care about skills anymore" I would like to say that I'm currently taking Theatre class and the plays that I've gone to see the main guys are always so so looking and their size aren't like any of the movie actors, but their singing and acting skills are beyond what you think they would've have. This shows that it's purely based on talents.

If you were to work in a job somewhere I think they'll do the same to you and everyone else because that is all about business, they hire you cheap to get the finest product.

I honestly don't care about her or any other actress. I meant the bed thing as a reference to actor/ess who do that. You obviously haven't seen the big scandal some four years ago and I was being sarcastic, I didn't really think that last part. The reason I said that I don't care whether you are Chinese or not, cause I really don't. I see you as a viewer of the 21st century and nothing else. I also don't care what you buy or watch and I don't feel bad at all. Why should I care what you do in your life? I wasn't giving advice, I was expressing my views. I don't care if you take it or not. No I'm not angry or upset or whatever with this argument going on this forum. Even if I disagree and answer back, this is their view and so be it. Why trouble yourself with changing people when there are other things more important in the world then arguing about a bunch of fictional characters on a television? I'm only interacting because I wanted to see what other people think and wanted to put my two-cent in, like everyone else in this love or hate forum.

I watch for skills, you shouldn't base the cast's skills on their looks. Beside most of it's make up. How many people do you know in real life is that good looking naturally? It's wrong and by directors, I meant directors that are on major networks and use CGI 100% of the time. I never meant theater since it's so small and doesn't need to depend on names to operate. Yes, I agree with your last sentence, not sure if it's an insult or not but I know I'm replaceable and I know everyone else is too. And no they don't get the finest product, they get what they paid for. They pay cheap and they get cheap products that look good like my job and alot of people's job.
    Last edited by Bladebird; 03-12-13 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thuchen View Post
    To be fair since i think i belong to those who hate yss/ryy guts in this adaptation. I got to say I don't think yss is ugly. she's just not as beautiful as I pictured ryy to be. That's the problem with adaptions from a novel you usually have something in mind and if it doesn't live to your standards it just turns out bad. Nevermind, what I wanted to say I am actually pretty surprised that yss is quite pretty in modern looks, I actually realized this fact already forgot the name something with tian tian....she just doesn't look that flattering in ancient costumes or better say her acting is so fake that she doesn't look good while doing that whereas in an interview she's more natural, means more beautiful. At least that is my opinion and alas beauty lays in the eye of the beholder.

And the problem of this drama ist still the bad acting of some of the actors, the awful cgi and the inconsistent or non-existent character development of some core characters (lhc!!!) So even if I don't see this as a jy adaption but a totally different wuxia or better say romance/idol/video game drama, in my opinion it is still utterly bad, too many holes in the storyline and inconsistency.
    Except those photos of her are photoshopped to death. I don't recognize her in some of them lol. But I don't think she is as ugly as some people say she is, she just appears so beside everyone else.

But on a completely random note, the eye makeup/ eyeliner is done pretty well for the actresses....

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    This was Yu Zheng's first adaptation of a very popular Jin Yong wuxia classic, so Wallace and Joe must have thought, "What could ever go wrong with it?"
    yep Swordsman was YZ first wuxia series and first attempt adaptation of JY's novel.. ever! Maybe as we all knew he would deviated the story.. but were we ever think he would be so insanely horible and then smashed his own series!!

As for Joe perspective;
    News : Interview "Swordsman" Joe Chen Qiao En: I just want to be a good actress

She simply like the DFBB character; DFBB is one of the biggest antagonist and memorable classic characters in Jin Yong's wuxia universe, which has multidimentional character. Very interesting for Joe, yet really challenging to her acting skill. This is definitely a breakthrough role and the opportunity doesn't always come!!
    In the end, she succeeded to surprised people and steal the show with her performance!

Quote Originally Posted by clfan View Post
    I'm still confuse, so the love story between DFBB and LHC, was that in the novel that JY written? Or just put in by the director?
    I thought in the novel, DFBB is a Man but turns Woman after he practice that kung fu stuff.
    I'm I like the only one here that not used to see LHC fall in love with DFBB? LOL, it just so strange. Maybe because I only watch the 1996 version.
    I'm also confuse with this version. DFBB was suppose to be a guy who learn the skill in the sunflower manual and because to learn this skill, he got castration himself. I'm also like the version 1996 better than Steve Ma or Li Yapeng version. I was waiting for some romantic moment between LHC and RYY. Saddly, i feel disappointed sigh.

Jacky Lui was the best LHC is all version but sure Wallace have a good looking.
    Please not shipping for LHC and DFBB, it's kinda feel strange o.O
    For wuxia world fans, sure this version surprising, abnormal and unaccustomed. If i didn't watch others versions, maybe LHC and DFBB in this remake was simply good hm maybe?

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XOTU0MzQ4.html For people who feel nostalgic for the version 1996 theme the best version.

lets just all play nice and get along ,everyone is entitled to their own opinions and shouldn't be too bothered by any one else's ^__^ on a side note I thought this video was hilarious. if you understand Chinese you will laugh your *** off xD i'm not making fun of ryy/yss but I just found this video on youtube to be hilarious and wanted to share xP

Quote Originally Posted by XoXoPsychoPathxD View Post
    Pahahaha, RYY can play the flute?!

What on Earth was YZ thinking with the later episodes...

I heard because of the "success" of Swordman, and the fan's admiration of DFBB's performance, they are thinking of making/re-making a series based on the 1993 film "The East is Red", w/ DFBB being the main focus of course.

Without that annoying LHC & RYY combo, I think I'd enjoy such a series. A change of actress for the role would be unfortunate, though, as CQE/Joe's performance was quite good.....

Quote Originally Posted by szfong View Post
    I heard because of the "success" of Swordman, and the fan's admiration of DFBB's performance, they are thinking of making/re-making a series based on the 1993 film "The East is Red", w/ DFBB being the main focus of course.

Without that annoying LHC & RYY combo, I think I'd enjoy such a series. A change of actress for the role would be unfortunate, though, as CQE/Joe's performance was quite good.....
    But that movie was so freaking bad. It destroyed eveything which had made swordsman 2 memorable and quite a classical, I still love to rewatch that movie even now though of course totally independent from the novel. But yes I would much enjoy CQE's performance if she reprises her role.

Quote Originally Posted by Thuchen View Post
    But that movie was so freaking bad. It destroyed eveything which had made swordsman 2 memorable and quite a classical, I still love to rewatch that movie even now though of course totally independent from the novel. But yes I would much enjoy CQE's performance if she reprises her role.
    I agree the screenplay for that film was REALLY bad, but a DFBB-centered story could be really good if done right, particular in a 40+ episode series. In a movie, they really don't have much time to tell a story properly.

do anyone know the song on episode 5 when DFBB pulls off LHC's hairband n starts dancing fighting skills and then her hairband came off as she dances... I like that song can anyone tell me who the artist is? Or can anyone give me a link to that song or can anyone tell me where to download the song? Thanks I appreciate it very much

Quote Originally Posted by nerine92 View Post
    do anyone know the song on episode 5 when DFBB pulls off LHC's hairband n starts dancing fighting skills and then her hairband came off as she dances... I like that song can anyone tell me who the artist is? Or can anyone give me a link to that song or can anyone tell me where to download the song? Thanks I appreciate it very much
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gaSCP-tYaY

I believe the artist is 'Dong Zhen' and the song is 'Settle', or something like that.

Good song.
    Last edited by wuxiarocks; 03-15-13 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XoXoPsychoPathxD View Post
    lets just all play nice and get along ,everyone is entitled to their own opinions and shouldn't be too bothered by any one else's ^__^ on a side note I thought this video was hilarious. if you understand Chinese you will laugh your *** off xD i'm not making fun of ryy/yss but I just found this video on youtube to be hilarious and wanted to share xP
    You're right we should all just chill out and if you can, can you please translate it for me. It would help me out a lot because it did seem funny.

yes XoXoPsychoPathxD could you please translate it for us?

it looks hilarious.. i need to lol too
    Last edited by dramalala; 03-16-13 at 03:22 AM.