Page 94 of 99 FirstFirst ... 4484858687888990919293949596979899 LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 1978

Thread: TVB Released VCD/DVD Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Yeah. LUK SIU FUNG is the one I'm waiting for too. I have the VCDs, but for some reason, they're not playing well with age (is that supposed to happen?). I'm getting very bad pixelation and playback on some of the discs.

I'd go for both the 1970s Damian Lau *and* the 1980s Alex Man versions of LUK SIU FUNG, although the 1970s version was much better.
    I don't think it's supposed to happen with digital media. It could be your player's wear and tear, but I highly doubt it's from the VCD's themselves.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    I don't think it's supposed to happen with digital media. It could be your player's wear and tear, but I highly doubt it's from the VCD's themselves.
    It's the VCDs. I've tried them on multiple DVD players, and I get the same problem...and it's *only* these VCDs.

The thing is, they worked fine for the first two or three years I had them. Since then, they've been degrading although I see no signs of physical damage and the discs have not been exposed to anything harmful in the environment. It's weird.

Banned

Where can I get STAR Test released questions?

Where can I find TVB Cantonese dramas in Seattle? I just moved here and there doesn't seems to be shops selling them in chinatown.... Do I have to find a way to Vancouver to find them.....

There is nothing to shop for in Seattle and if you do find one, it's priced too high. You're better off making a trek up north to Vancouver/Richmond to get TVB series. They have way more selections and much better prices. Plus, a trip up there is never a bad thing
    "my only fear of death is reincarnation...back into this life of strife" - 2pac

Wow this thread has been dead. Anybody have any news on whether TVB will release any more DVD's of classic series?

Did anybody from the US order New Adventures of Chor Lau Heung? If it's worth it, I might have them ship it to Point Roberts and I'll just cross the border to pick it up.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Wow this thread has been dead. Anybody have any news on whether TVB will release any more DVD's of classic series?
    Seems like TVB is giving up.

Or, maybe TVB sees traditional DVD as a dying format, and is getting to re-release everything AGAIN in Blu-Ray or via streaming video!

haha they aren't even releasing their new shows on DVD, I doubt they will release anything on blu ray. It would be a treat though that's for sure. I just want to see some classic shows like Police Cadet, Shell Game, The Bund and all of those released uncut.

I'm not sure what's really going on with TVB because for a while they were releasing current shows on DVD, but it looks like they stopped that too. I wonder if Wargods has any inside info on this.

haha they aren't even releasing their new shows on DVD, I doubt they will release anything on blu ray. It would be a treat though that's for sure. I just want to see some classic shows like Police Cadet, Shell Game, The Bund and all of those released uncut.

I'm not sure what's really going on with TVB because for a while they were releasing current shows on DVD, but it looks like they stopped that too. I wonder if Wargods has any inside info on this.
    I recently rewatched DOMD '84 on DVD and found that the quality of the transfer from the original analog video to DVD was really good and crisp...better than on TVB's earlier DVDs.

DOMD was actually a very good transfer. The blacks were very solid. There were a few mediocre transfers back then, but all of the Jin Yong ones were pretty good. I remember Duke of Mount Deer having an excellent transfer too.

I checked Yesasia US out and there's actually a few other TVB classic shows that didn't even get a sniff outside of the states. I might have to place an order soon

DOMD was actually a very good transfer. The blacks were very solid. There were a few mediocre transfers back then, but all of the Jin Yong ones were pretty good. I remember Duke of Mount Deer having an excellent transfer too.
    I was impressed by the luster and shine on the emperor and the mandarins' costumes. The colors on Andy Lau's emperor robe were positively vibrant, and leaped off the screen in a way that they didn't even back during the original TV broadcasts in 1984.

I checked Yesasia US out and there's actually a few other TVB classic shows that didn't even get a sniff outside of the states. I might have to place an order soon
    Any good stuff coming down the pike?

There's a couple of 90s ones that you might not be interested in like Plain Love and Secret of the Heart. Do you think the Bund set you got is worth it? I might even go for that just cause I don't think TVB will ever officially release it and I wanna finish the trilogy.

Do you think the Bund set you got is worth it?
    Well...yeah, considering it'll likely be the only opportunity we ever get to own THE BUND in any modern format.

Did anybody from the US order New Adventures of Chor Lau Heung? If it's worth it, I might have them ship it to Point Roberts and I'll just cross the border to pick it up.
    I'm tempted to get it and risk only $28 for a potentially unsatisfying release. It's a title I REALLY want to see again (haven't seen it since I was 7 yrs old when it came out), but the things that would frustrate me would be an inferior quality release, or if it is edited. I won't know if it is edited or not since I haven't seen it for so long. Yesasia says it is 8 DVDs. That would make it 5 episodes per DVD, which should be fine if it is a DVD-9, but not so great if its DVD-5. I recall the earlier DVD releases were 4 episodes per DVD, and then the recent Tai-Seng ones were 7-8 episodes per DVD (e.g. Fearless Duo)... so maybe this release should be OK. Maybe I'll do it, and let you guys know.

Quote Originally Posted by Alzarius View Post
    I'm tempted to get it and risk only $28 for a potentially unsatisfying release. It's a title I REALLY want to see again (haven't seen it since I was 7 yrs old when it came out), but the things that would frustrate me would be an inferior quality release, or if it is edited. I won't know if it is edited or not since I haven't seen it for so long. Yesasia says it is 8 DVDs. That would make it 5 episodes per DVD, which should be fine if it is a DVD-9, but not so great if its DVD-5. I recall the earlier DVD releases were 4 episodes per DVD, and then the recent Tai-Seng ones were 7-8 episodes per DVD (e.g. Fearless Duo)... so maybe this release should be OK. Maybe I'll do it, and let you guys know.
    Yeah I don't expect the quality to be too good which is probably why it's so cheap. I don't see Tai Seng doing what TVB use to do in house like color correction and going through the restoration process. What makes these releases attractive though is that they appear to be uncut judging by the number of episodes. I think I can live with it. At this point, I just want to be able to watch these classics uncut and as long as the quality is fair, it's okay. I'll wait for you review for New Adventures if you do plan on getting it

Seems like TVB is giving up.

Or, maybe TVB sees traditional DVD as a dying format, and is getting to re-release everything AGAIN in Blu-Ray or via streaming video!

That be awesome if they come out in bluray on a 100GB disc for like a 20 episodes series. It would be like 4GB per episode file format. So 4 x 20 will be 80GB total lol so we can watch the whole series on one disc without changing the disc. I really hate to do that especially when it get to a good part and you have to be walking to the DVD player just to put in the next disc lol.

Here check the article out about the 100GB bluray disc

http://gizmodo.com/5595440/sharp-cre...b-blu+ray-disc

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2298/100gbbluray.jpg')
    Last edited by IPlayWow; 07-19-11 at 01:38 PM.

Yeah I don't expect the quality to be too good which is probably why it's so cheap. I don't see Tai Seng doing what TVB use to do in house like color correction and going through the restoration process. What makes these releases attractive though is that they appear to be uncut judging by the number of episodes. I think I can live with it. At this point, I just want to be able to watch these classics uncut and as long as the quality is fair, it's okay. I'll wait for you review for New Adventures if you do plan on getting it
    Just ordered it at Yesasia. I thought I might as well try it, given it is a series I've really wanted to see again. Plus, I picked up some older TVB DVDs (not so popular titles like The Link, On The Track Or Off) that would most likely be gone for good once it sold out. I have an extremely poor VHS dub (near unwatchable, full of distortion, fuzz, blur etc) of New Adventure of Chor Lau Heung (all 40 eps) that I could use as a comparison to the DVD release to see if there is any major difference in the running times to suggest editing or not.

Will let you guys know.

Now, if they finally release Looking Back In Anger uncut on DVD, that would just about do it for me. I really thought it would be a possibility given Felix's new series last year, that TVB would release one of his all-time classics out on DVD since the general public might purchase it out of renewed nostalgia. I suspect that was what happened when Michael Miu came back on TV and they released Fearless Duo (and now New Adventures)
    Last edited by Alzarius; 07-19-11 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alzarius View Post
    Now, if they finally release Looking Back In Anger uncut on DVD, that would just about do it for me. I really thought it would be a possibility given Felix's new series last year, that TVB would release one of his all-time classics out on DVD since the general public might purchase it out of renewed nostalgia. I suspect that was what happened when Michael Miu came back on TV and they released Fearless Duo (and now New Adventures)
    I would be a very happy man if they released Looking Back in Anger uncut on DVD. I've been getting my white gf to listen to Deric Wan songs. Little does she know that he was a complete *** in this show. I'd love to show her this one day if possible.

With regards Felix, he does have an interesting relationship with TVB these days and it's not exactly a good one. The fact that he came to actually do a series surprised me. It probably had a lot to do with Michael Miu talking him into it.

With regards Felix, he does have an interesting relationship with TVB these days and it's not exactly a good one. The fact that he came to actually do a series surprised me. It probably had a lot to do with Michael Miu talking him into it.
    TVB has a long history of screwing its actors. That's the reason that many of their former stars that made it BIG (Chow Yun Fat, Andy Lau, Tony Leung) never looked back.

I think Felix and Michael are there only because they need the work.

TVB has a long history of screwing its actors. That's the reason that many of their former stars that made it BIG (Chow Yun Fat, Andy Lau, Tony Leung) never looked back.

I think Felix and Michael are there only because they need the work.
    Maybe Michael since his sunglasses business didn't do too well from what I heard. I doubt Felix needs the work. Wasn't he in mainland China doing some stuff? He probably makes more there. He came back mainly cause him and Michael are buddies. Andy Lau at least still makes the odd appearance on TVB programs. Chow Yun Fat and Tony Leung haven't looked back at all. Johnnie To likes to diss TVB when he has the chance haha, but he knows that it was Wong Tin Lam that gave him a chance and made him the director he is now.

TVB is well known for screwing their actors, but a lot of them got their big break because of TVB. It's give or take I guess. Like Gallen Law when he became a big star, came back years later to do a series for TVB again. Sometimes you don't want to burn your bridges unless your a superstar like Chow Yun Fat or Tony Leung