Thread: 大唐双龙传 [Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan] by Huang Yi

Default Book 25 Chapter 3 - Part 1

Xiaohu, Jaya, HPC, you are welcome. Akolaw, how in the world did you know about mudra? Shirak, Hungry, personally, I think 'style' is overrated. I remember in one the movies (perhaps it was Bruce Lee biography, can't remember exactly, it's been a while), he was able to down an opponent in 60 seconds. Power and speed, no fancy moves. Patudo, agree with you on the girls. Anurman, thanks for confirming; can't remember when the last time I read Jin Yong). DongBin, Lance, again, 'personally', from Akolaw's list, I think 'gesture' is the most accurate. I googled 'seal' (and looked at dictionary), none of the definitions depict what we are looking for. No offense to those xianxia and academic literature translators, but as Lance pointed out, 'Immortal Print' sounds better than 'Immortal Gestures' or even 'Immortal Seal' (are we talking about aquatic mammal? ), and since this is a wuxia fiction, I think I'll stick with 'print'. I hope you guys don't mind?

Book 25 Chapter 3 The Battle Over Angry Sea

Dang!

Sparks flew, producing the buzzing sound of gold and iron [or simply: metals] colliding against each other, which even the wind and the waves could not overcome.

Even if Jin Zhengzong did not want to admit for ten thousand reasons, but whether in term of timing, or accuracy of the angle, Kou Zhong had displayed some kind of resembling-nature-itself, unassailable imposing manner. And it was dangerous to the extreme point, so that the long spear he carried was completely useless; on the contrary, it rigidly pushed him back to the multi-decked ship.

What caught Jin Zhengzong unprepared the most was the way Kou Zhong used the Moon in the Well; while the momentum rose up to its peak, unexpectedly he miraculously dropped three chi in the air. Not only his spear hit the empty air, he was forced to block the saber strike from a distant in panic, causing him to lose the key moment, while also failed to stop the opponents crashing skiff thunder.

Borrowing his falling down momentum, Kou Zhong used the tip of his toes to tap the stern of the boat, but he already powerless to raise more energy, and only able to utilize the reaction force to propel himself cartwheeling sideways to evade, and then soaring across the surface of the sea toward the already thrown boat.

Although Jin Zhengzong was confused by Kou Zhongs unique schools skill of changing direction in the blink of an eye, and thus was thrown into a difficult situation, his ability to counterattack in split-second changes was still not a small matter at all. In the narrow space, close distance combat, the tip of his spear moved suddenly to the left and to the right, so that it was quite strenuous for Kou Zhong to deal with it. Were it not that Kou Zhong already gained the initiative, also that it was a fight in the air, he would be done in only one move. If the fight continued, he might not have much of a chance.

The hand with which he held the saber, beginning from the five fingers all the way to the jianjing position [on the shoulder], all the meridians and acupoints were unbearably aching and was numb. It was only when this foot tapped the stern of the skiff did he manage to apply his qi to neutralize the opponents spear power invading hid body. From this, it could be seen how profound and strong the opponents power really was.

Boom!

Propelled by the waves momentum, enhanced by Kou Zhongs spiraling energy, the skiff pitilessly crashed against the starboard side of the warship, about five, six chi from the bow. Wood splinters splashed everywhere.

On the other side, Bu Tianzhi released a long rope, which extended perfectly straight for five zhang, reaching the middle between the two ships, just in time to meet Kou Zhong, who was flying back.

Crash!

Violent rain as sharp as the arrows fell down wildly from the brewing, accumulated black cloud above. Immediately the sea turned dark and the sky hazy; the murky and boundless wind and rain completely enveloped men and boats.

Originally Kou Zhong was still afraid that the opponent would shoot fiery arrows, but now naturally he did not have to worry about it anymore. He was about to reach out and grab the rope shot by Bu Tianzhi when suddenly from behind him, in the midst of the wind and the rain, there was thousands and hundreds streaks of bright light filling the whole sky to attack him.

In that instant Kou Zhong already knew that he could not evade. Promptly he somersaulted and stretched out his foot to tap the end of the rope, which originally could take him back to the safe place and changed direction to leap high into the air, to dodge the opponents swift-and-severe-without-equal strike.

This moment, due to the light tap by the tip of his foot, the long rope changed shape from a line to a wave, so that Jin Zhengzong, who was coming to pursue and attack, hit an empty space. But he remained calm. The thousands and hundreds spear shadows converged into one, swiftly tapped the tip of the rope, which was withdrawn back like a spirit snake. Unexpectedly he was able to borrow the reaction force to soar at an angle and continued his attack toward Kou Zhong, who was still flying in the air.

Watching this, everybody, from both sides, was stunned. The howling wind and torrential rain, the perilous situation that could make their boats capsized were completely forgotten, but they all felt that this desperate battle on the crest of the waves was strange and dangerous that it made them felt as if they were out of breath.

Kou Zhong laughed aloud and said, Jin Xiong is really brave!

While talking, the Moon in the Well in his hand hacked down and hit the spear, which was moving up to pierce his abdomen.

The saber and spear clashed; in the dark sea sparks of sharp light were clearly visible as beautiful as fireworks, while also giving up the impression of intense, full-forced battle.

Qiang!

Both combatants felt like they were struck by lightning.

Kou Zhong shot up, Jin Zhengzong was unexpectedly able to borrow the reaction force to move sideways toward his own ship, while at the same time hurled his spear, which swiftly flew toward Kou Zhong, who was still ascending into the air.

Kou Zhong groaned inwardly, knowing that this spear has sealed his fate that he would not be able to return to Bu Tianzhis side.

It should be noted that both ships were sailing at high speed in the storm. If he borrowed the impact force of spear and sabers collision to cast himself toward the rope that Bu Tianzhi shot for the second time, there was great possibility that he might be able to catch the end of the rope again.

However, he simply could not but block the spear that Jin Zhengzong hurled at him. And this split second delay was enough to bring the ship farther away, so that there was absolutely no chance that he would be able to catch this life-saving rope.

Making a prompt decision, Kou Zhong shouted loudly, Zhi Shu, you go first. Kou Zhong will catch up with you later.

Like lightning flashed, the saber mercilessly shot down the hateful spear into the billows below. At the same time, he borrowed the reaction force of the impact to shoot at an angle toward the multi-decked ship full of the enemies coming rapidly toward him.

Jin Zhengzong was one step ahead of him landing on the deck. A large amount of seawater was bursting into the hold from the crack opened by the skiff crashing against the hull. The skiff was still deeply embedded on the starboard bow, destroying the balance of the hull, so that the ship was helplessly jolting and spinning between the waves.

The first to meet Kou Zhong was Ku Ges double axe, but how could Kou Zhong be stupid enough to disregard everything and meet this attack head-on? Casually his saber hacked down on him, sending Ku Ge tumbling on the deck, while at the same time he borrowed the reaction force to shoot sideways, to evade more than a dozen Korean martial art masters, men and women.

If any one, or maybe two, of these people had seventy-, eighty-percent of Jin Zhengzongs power, he definitely would not last long.

As he was forced to visit this ship, he already made up his mind that after wantonly wreaking havoc for a little while, he would immediately jump down into the sea to flee for his life. Even if he had to swim for ten days and ten nights before he could reach the land, it would be better than having his corpse being chopped into pieces by the people on this ship.

With his feet firmly planted on the solid deck, he rushed toward the viewing platform above the bridge. Four, five Korean warriors swarmed on him. Without even looking, Kou Zhongs Moon in the Well flashed, one after another the people along with their weapon were hacked down by him that they fell to the left and tumbled to the right in utter defeat.

The hull started to tilt. When it looked like it was about to capsize, suddenly it regained its balance.

Kou Zhong seized this opportunity to rush toward the observation deck. He crashed and broke the railings, and then from the other side he somersaulted toward the passageway on the deck next to the bridge to avoid the enemies from four sides, eight directions swarming toward him amidst the wind and the rain.

At this time both the sea and the ship were enveloped in pitch-black darkness; the heaven and the earth were filled with the shaking-the-ears-and-deafeningly-rumbling noise of the rolling waves. In the raging sea the enemys shout appeared to have the spirit but without the power, so that everybody could only wait helplessly for the next attack of the wave.

Kou Zhong was about to jump into the sea when a net of sword qi came down on him.

Relying on his instinct, Kou Zhong knew that hid formidable opponent, Jin Zhengzong, has arrived. On the surface this man looked scholarly and gentle, who would have thought that in fight, he was even more dauntless than anybody else? Promptly the person followed the blade with two strikes in succession, each strike with endless changes following it.

Clang! Qiang!

It was only then did Kou Zhong manage to break away from the sword net and staggered backward. He laughed aloud and said, Jin Xiong indeed did not brag; you are outstanding in using any weapon.

Without saying a word, Jin Zhengzongs sword sprinkled several dozens sword flower; his feet moved suddenly to the left, suddenly to the right as he attacked violently.

Kou Zhong was fighting and retreating at the same time. He found that Jin Zhengzongs sword move was substantially different from his spear technique; it was brimming with pliable and tough feeling. Inwardly he shivered slightly, knowing that the opponent was afraid he might escape into the sea, hence he intentionally entangled Kou Zhong to the death.

At this point both sides could only rely on their night vision to see, albeit with difficulty, the opponents figure in the midst of the rainstorm; as for other changes, they could only guess purely by instinct.

The multi-decked ships leaning was even more severe. From everywhere came the sound of objects being overturned and broken, mixed with alarmed cries and screams of the people; the chaos was like the arrival of the end of the world.

Other people have disappeared from view, only the two of them remained in the life and death battle.

Bang!

A giant wave crashed against the side of the ship; seawater assaulted both mens head and face with the tremendous power of ruthless nature. Even with both mens stable stance, they still failed to stand up, and were thrown against the wall of the cabin.

Kou Zhong began to understand why Jin Zhengzong was the only one coming to him to give him bad luck. Taking advantage of the wall, he climbed onto the observation deck above the bridge. The scene entering his eyes made him could not help but was shocked.

The sea waves have conquered both the ship and the people.

Like solid walls the huge waves from four sides, eight directions were closing in with a toppling-the-mountain-and-overturning-the-seas momentum. Because water has entered the hold, the deck under the multi-decked ships observation deck was already under water, which was still pouring down in torrents.

The people on the ship were lifted and thrown down, and tossed around sideways like small figurines. The waves rose up and down in countless changes, so much so that there were waves above the waves. In the dark no-moon-and-no-stars, amidst-the-howling-wind-and-torrential-rain night, the originally firm and imposing multi-decked ship has been reduced to a wreck with cuts and bruises all over.

Wow, what a battle....and a cliff...

LOL....Kou Zhong singlehandedly destroy a ship.

Lance23, did you "pointed out" that way back ?

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    Lance pointed out, 'Immortal Print' sounds better than 'Immortal Gestures' or even 'Immortal Seal' (are we talking about aquatic mammal?
    The latest I read, regarding this matter, was your support of "seals."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance23 View Post
    i believe that the hand prints might sound better as seals.
    I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. 弗拉基米爾弗拉基米羅維奇納博科夫

Thanks foxs for the update.

Im just taking a guess on how the skill works. The yin in immortal print/seal depending on which character combo you use can mean print or seal.

If used as fengyin 封印 then its seal.

If used as dayin 打印 then its print.

Its really a matter or interpretation. Again i dont know the story aside from the tvb+mainaland adaptations i have watched. I have no idea how it works aside from what they showed in the tvb version. The mainland version was supposed to be 3 seasons but cancelled after 1 season.

不死之身 Busi depending on interpretation can mean immortal/undead/undying. In the case of busizhizhen can mean immortal. I think we can give suggestions but ultimately its up to the translator to take the suggestion or not. Im not the person taking the time to translate, and I know its a pain to translate if you cant read. I can read some but not at a very high level.

Of time, people are giving their time to read. Is it "a pain" to be misled by the translation ?

Im not the person taking the time to translate, and I know its a pain to translate if you cant read.
    And ideally, translators should at least knowhave read the story beforehand ?

Translating blindly ahead, it was a predominate fashion for this forum ; foxs currently appears to be its endling.

Commentary by readers (such as akolaw) supplement and clarify blind corners.
    Last edited by 徐中銳; 03-31-18 at 02:27 AM.
    I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. 弗拉基米爾弗拉基米羅維奇納博科夫

I could figured the skill would be some kind on sealing technique. Which was why i think seal is the more accurate term. I couldnt think of a skill where the user imprints a target.

I guess as long as the word used is close enough of a match it is okay imo.

As long as we understand where the story is going.

However, it's not confined to 印。Another recent word of interest is his translating 情 as "love" and "passion."

Perhaps if chosen words were closer, Patudo will "really [be] connecting with either Qingxuan or Feixuan as characters."

I could figured the skill would be some kind on sealing technique. Which was why i think seal is the more accurate term. I couldnt think of a skill where the user imprints a target.

I guess as long as the word used is close enough of a match it is okay imo.

As long as we understand where the story is going.

Thanks, foxs.

Pedantically speaking, the correct word should be seal. Mudras or hand seals in the Tantric sense are used to stimulate energy flows (prana) in accordance to the 5 Elements. For example, the little finger represents the water element; ring finger represents earth; middle finger for ether; index finger for air, thumb for fire. Within the Chinese meridians, some of the 12 standard meridians pass through each of the fingers eg lung meridian (thumb). When you form these hand seals, energy flows are generated to nourish or strengthened certain parts of the body. One of the exercises in Naropa's Six Yogas is the forming of these hand seals. If you read the passage where XL was imitating the hand postures of the various Luohans, the specific hand seal described appears quite similar to Naropa's. And XL was practicing essentially something of Indian/Tantric origin. If I form a mudra and imprint it on mud or cement, that would be hand print. You see the subtle difference? I'm sorry if I belabored this point. What I am suggesting is based on acceptable nomenclature and i have offered evidence therein. But if you guys prefer to base on guessing and feelings then that is another story.

At the risk of starting another round, the term 不死, may I offer "deathless"? Sounds better?

Akolaw, how in the world did you know about mudra?

I am a buddhist, a vajrayana buddhist, my daily practice incur mudra, in fact, all vajrayana practice can be sum up and refer to as four mudra.

vajrayana is compose of a lot of symbolism.

Seal is symbol of authority (therefore power), execution (therefore speed and carrying out of order), affirmation (therefore empowerment)

Evening in today's paperless office, company still have company seal, lawyer still have a lawyer's seal, and a diploma still have a seal to symbol authentic approval.

Mudra can be a gesture, a mark or a seal. allow my to explain it as following.

When we move our body (most likely hand and finger) in a certain way it is a gesture,

When our body is align in correct way like a carbon copy from the teacher, it is like a mark (or print).

While in esoteric teaching, when our body (ie mudra) speech/mouth (ie qi) and yi (ie mind)in unison, the mudra is refer as seal.

Akolaw, that would explain why tou know so much about mudra.

At this point it seems like sqx and sfx both are interested in xzl, and it feels like xzl. Likes both of them. My gut feeling is xzl will end up with sqx. Have to have patience and wait it out. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by LuDongBin View Post
    Pedantically speaking, the correct word should be seal. Mudras or hand seals in the Tantric sense are used to stimulate energy flows (prana) in accordance to the 5 Elements. For example, the little finger represents the water element; ring finger represents earth; middle finger for ether; index finger for air, thumb for fire. Within the Chinese meridians, some of the 12 standard meridians pass through each of the fingers eg lung meridian (thumb). When you form these hand seals, energy flows are generated to nourish or strengthened certain parts of the body. One of the exercises in Naropa's Six Yogas is the forming of these hand seals. If you read the passage where XL was imitating the hand postures of the various Luohans, the specific hand seal described appears quite similar to Naropa's. And XL was practicing essentially something of Indian/Tantric origin. If I form a mudra and imprint it on mud or cement, that would be hand print. You see the subtle difference? I'm sorry if I belabored this point. What I am suggesting is based on acceptable nomenclature and i have offered evidence therein. But if you guys prefer to base on guessing and feelings then that is another story.

At the risk of starting another round, the term 不死, may I offer "deathless"? Sounds better?
    Dont want to start debates. deathless can be another translation of busi even Undying works. Some words have so many different synonyms, but with slight variation in meaningit can be hard to translate. We have to cut fixs some slack too.

We can offer suggestions as stated before. Its still up to foxs to decide to take up the suggestion or not. I do believe seal is the more appropiate translation for the skill and the hand seals in the prior chapter. I guess we can provide examples as when the mudra explanation was given to signify it is seal. Without spoiling the story.

Akolaw, that would explain why tou know so much about mudra.

At this point it seems like sqx and sfx both are interested in xzl, and it feels like xzl. Likes both of them. My gut feeling is xzl will end up with sqx. Have to have patience and wait it out. Lol
    Came to this conclusion because of the comment argument of replusive. Awhile back. That exact character used i dont know as i dont see the original text but when a debate like that happens it can indirectly give us spoilers. Hopefully we can prevent debates like that from happening.

Default Important Announcement

A man went to a restaurant, but after eating, he complained that the food was not to his liking. He even broadcasted everywhere about how bad the food was, and chastised everybody who was trying to enjoy the food, or God forbid, who was trying to complement the chef. Interestingly enough, he keeps coming back to sample the food. I wonder: what is it that he wanted? What is he trying to accomplish?

So far, I have been trying to ignore that kind of people, with the hope that he/she will feel embarrassed of being ignored and quietly go away. But I guess some people have a lot thicker skin than the rest. Plus it is so hard to ignore since this is the thread that I have to visit to post the updates. Let me try (hopefully for the last time) to be patient and explain what ought to be already crystal-clear, since I have explained it countless times before:

This is a fan translation forum. I believe I am not the only one here, since some of the people who posted translations here also admitted that he/she translates as he/she reads the story. If I already read the story, why would I want to translate it for you guys? I am doing this because I love wuxia, and I want to share my passion with fellow wuxia lovers who happen to be Chinese-illiterate like me.

Again, I am Chinese-illiterate; and to make matter worse, I am not a Buddhist or Taoist, hence I do not have any profound knowledge of Buddhist/Taoist spiritual terms or philosophy. So you think I dont have any qualifications to translate this story? You bet! I never, repeat NEVER claimed otherwise.

I always appreciate inputs from you, the readers. ALWAYS! I have ten-year worth of work in spcnet; just check the link to completed translation, or even the unabridged thread of this story and you can verify it yourself. You will see that I incorporated most, although not all, inputs/additional information, giving credits to whom the credit is due. Why not all? Because I feel that as the translator (i.e. the one taking the time to type and post it on the internet) I also have the liberty to choose the wordings myself. Dont you agree?

I am not translating scriptures, not even a scientific journal, where accuracy is of paramount importance; I mean, nobody is going to go to hell or die because my translation is not accurate. For example, Passionate Prince is not an accurate translation, but it sounds better than son of an official/son of nobility with a lot of love/passion; you see what I mean? And in cases like this, I always strive to give an explanation on what the original text actually means.

I am Chinese-illiterate; hence I rely heavily on dictionaries, both Chinese and English. I googled the word seal, and I checked dictionary.com, and as I said, I cant find any definition that explains the word seal like we are talking about. Granted that it is a Buddhist term, but when I read the word seal, the image in my mind is not mudra. (Not even seal in the grappling technique/qinna sense.) Hence, just like the Passionate Prince example above, I am exercising my liberty as the translator to keep Immortal Print (or perhaps Immortal Image not sure yet), which, to me, sounds better than Undead Gestures/Mudra/Seal (Akolaw, please dont worry, I will somehow incorporate this mudra thingy into the text).

I am doing this for fun, for personal enjoyment. But frankly, I feel like lately I have been a disappointment to you guys. And it started to affect me. Please see it from my perspective: if you guys are not happy with my effort, why do I need to continue?

I cannot stop anybody from coming to this forum and expressing their opinion. But bear in mind that it goes both ways: I am under no obligation to continue either. I am not a quitter, however; I intend, if the Lords willing, to continue this story until the end. But I want to save myself from aggravation, from being accused as a thief who misled you, kind readers, so I can translate in peace. Like writing this, for instance, I could have used this time to translate a few paragraphs.

Henceforth, I think it would be better for me to simply ask you, the readers, if you still want to continue reading this, please kindly pm me your email, I will send it to you. At least I know for sure that you want it, and not me shoving my subpar work down your throat against your will. Although come to think about it, nobody forced you to come here in the first place either.

Do I like doing this? No. It will mean that I have to take more time out of my (already busy) real life, but as I said, at least I will be able to translate in peace.

Going back to my story above: this is not even a restaurant, nobody needs to pay a single red cent to be here. This is more like a soup kitchen that is open to everybody. I am offering my meager skill to you to enjoy, yet some people complain because I am not a Michelin Three-Star Chef, and the foods are not served in matching China bowls and silverware?

To be blunt: If you are one of those people, I suggest you cook your own food, or pay someone else to cook and serve it for you. If you dont like this fan translation, then read John Minford, Graham Shaw, or some other official translation out there. Its never been my intention to compete with them.

What about spcnet? Some of you might ask Well, frankly, I dont know. Id love to continue here, truly I do. But I dont want to subject myself to unnecessary aggravation. So if you have good (and realistic, I might add) idea, please let me know. Bear in mind that I cannot afford to host my own website. As I said, I dont make money doing this. (I dont mind continuing here if there is good solution.)

Oh, and I just remember, spcnet mailbox has limit. I dont want to be presumptuous by thinking that hundreds or even dozens of people would want to enjoy the free food I am offering, but if for any reason my inbox limit is reached, please be patient. I will check my pm regularly and clean up if it is nearing capacity. Just come back perhaps a day or two later, okay?

What if only one of you contacted me? Thats okay too. I promise that I will still share it with you. What if none? Then I will keep it for my own collection. Simple.

BTW, Lance and Rui, see Lances post #6490. I did not make it up.

(Akolaw, please dont worry, I will somehow incorporate this mudra thingy into the text).

Thank you very much,

I see Da Tang as one of the rare classic of wuxia, classic wuxia to me is a wuxia that entertain me and I would come back to revisit again. I read wuxia for entertainment, I read a lot and drop off a lot in the middle as well, a good wuxia would keep me going till the end, (it is the emotional side that push me to follow the story) but after I read the story, only those rare one that have a tight logic, with good story and structure, that I would come back to re-read it, while re-read it, I know the story already, I would become critical how the writer tell the story, whether it is logical, how many and how big a the loop holes, and can the writer explain himself according to the logic of the book. Most novels have loop holes (especially wuxia since it is like how you translate, rush rush to print, during the time HY wrote Da Tang, I think he wrote two story at the same time, and have publish one book for each story every month.

BTW, Lance and Rui, see Lances post #6490. I did not make it up.

Lance pointed out, 'Immortal Print' sounds better than 'Immortal Gestures' or even 'Immortal Seal' (are we talking about aquatic mammal?
    I'll quote his immortal print below, #6490, he wrote "better as seals." Not better than seals :
    Thanks for the update foxs.

Im going off topic i believe that the hand prints might sound better as seals. Going off topic to bring up naruto. When they cast ninja spells in naurto they use hand gestures. I believe those are translated as seals/signs i cant remember gettng older. Which i believe is equalvent of what the author is trying to express.
    Last edited by 徐中銳; 03-31-18 at 06:11 PM.