Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you falling off from the Korean " HALLYU" ( WAVE)?

Default Are you falling off from the Korean " HALLYU" ( WAVE)?

ARe you falling off from the Korean " HALLYU" ( WAVE)?

I'm feeling down because I feel as though i'm starting to " fall out" from the Korean Wave " Hallyu"..I love korean Drama/Tv Series with a passion for the past 2 years and it's really sad that i'm having these feelings. It seems to me lately the series are getting too boring, lame, and the actors and actresses arent attractive anymore. Well, after watching Coffee Prince and 9 out 2 Ends, there are no really good series with good-looking actors anymore.

Am I alone on this? Are you feeling the same?

Golden Bride seems to be the only series worth watching for me right now.

Help keep me on with the wave by recommending me to some really good NEW series that are airing right now.
    Last edited by pemberly; 10-10-07 at 02:35 PM.
    ****Love, Live, and watch Asian Series****

I'm not sure I'm feeling the same way as you are. Maybe just a little, but I go through a phase where I'm into a bunch of K-drama then for the next couple of months or weeks, I'm into J-dramas and Taiwanese dramas and HK-dramas and what not. I guess...if you stay in one country's dramas you'll eventually get sick of it. I watch what I'm in the mood for watching.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 10-09-07 at 04:45 PM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I think I fell off "the wave" awhile ago. I'm hoping to ride it again when Cain and Abel is released next year, though.

Have you seen Surgeon Bong Dal Hee? It's not new as in "currently airing", but it is from 2007 and it's definitely a good one.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

That's strange because I felt like I fell off the Hallyyu wave and just recently returned to watching Korean dramas. There are tons of great series out this year but they're mainly historical dramas. The modern dramas this year were pretty lackluster.

I know what you mean mommie CanDee. The last k-drama I was so eager to watch was My Girl. After that I watched The Vineyard Man or something like that and I couldn't even finish it. Then I was all into Chinese series. Then I got bored of those too. So now, I'm all back into Thai series. I had a thing for Japanese dramas the same time I was watching Korean series. It just feels like I'm going in circles. Well actually, I'm trying to DL Hero an American series to see how that goes. I heard its pretty good.

lolz Candee you can't expect every korean series to be good.. i think you should watch a mixture of korean, taiwanese and chinese to mix it up. If you keep watching one thing of course you are going to be bore.
    Korean series number on attraction is the romantic stories. After awhile i see that most of their series are pretty much the same format. I got bore after awhile too. Then i started watching "my girl" again for the 12 time, that's why i'm watching it again. But it's not as great either.

Now i'm just watching it for the hot actors.I think koreans are trying to attract others with their historical dramas. Since they are not well known for that. But honestly i find chinese historical dramas better. More action and i like the costumes better. I'm back to loving chinese wuxia. lolz...gosh Huang xiao ming ..so cute!..hahha

Quote Originally Posted by tuoimongmo2007 View Post
    lolz Candee you can't expect every korean series to be good.. i think you should watch a mixture of korean, taiwanese and chinese to mix it up. If you keep watching one thing of course you are going to be bore.
    Korean series number on attraction is the romantic stories. After awhile i see that most of their series are pretty much the same format. I got bore after awhile too. Then i started watching "my girl" again for the 12 time, that's why i'm watching it again. But it's not as great either.

Now i'm just watching it for the hot actors.I think koreans are trying to attract others with their historical dramas. Since they are not well known for that. But honestly i find chinese historical dramas better. More action and i like the costumes better. I'm back to loving chinese wuxia. lolz...gosh Huang xiao ming ..so cute!..hahha
    you know, please recommend me a good Wuxia series to watch. Believe it or not, before all these modern series, I was pretty hook on "Phim vo" or wuxia series big time. I really want to discuss it this in the wuxia forum but I don't know the English name for all the wuxia series, only know it in vietnamese.

--I'm just waiting on It Started with a Kiss 2 to air...

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    I know what you mean mommie CanDee. The last k-drama I was so eager to watch was My Girl. After that I watched The Vineyard Man or something like that and I couldn't even finish it. Then I was all into Chinese series. Then I got bored of those too. So now, I'm all back into Thai series. I had a thing for Japanese dramas the same time I was watching Korean series. It just feels like I'm going in circles. Well actually, I'm trying to DL Hero an American series to see how that goes. I heard its pretty good.
    Recommend me a good Thai series wiht Eng subs and fine looking men..

Yeah I defintiely am falling off. I found some of the love comedies interesting and refreshing, and others touching in the begnning, but all the repetition is making me quite sick.

All the rom-coms are so lame and the tragedies so weepy/melodramatic. I think I've sworn off dramas for a while and will probably revert back to movies again.

Current fall-off have something to do with the dry-up of classical romantic series that used to sell to non-Korean viewers.

Nowadays, the TV screen is filled with comedies featuring wicked old girls and their underaged boyfriends, gay lovers, and nationalistic historical dramas with bloody sword fights that are outright banned in China due to political and diplomatic issues. No more Winter Sonata, Sad Sonata, Snow Queen that have universal appeal because they don't sell in Korea anymore.

The funny thing is that things were always like this, with bad series outnumbering good series by a good margin in the golden age. The difference is that those poor series that would never have been sold overseas in 2000 are now being sold.

So viewers need to be selective about what they watch. Series like Goong, The Hour Between Dog and Wolf(I repeat, watch this show!!!), and forthcoming The Lobbyist are good shows worth watching and will sell to anyone, but need to skip everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDoe View Post
    Current fall-off have something to do with the dry-up of classical romantic series that used to sell to non-Korean viewers.

Nowadays, the TV screen is filled with comedies featuring wicked old girls and their underaged boyfriends, gay lovers, and nationalistic historical dramas with bloody sword fights that are outright banned in China due to political and diplomatic issues. No more Winter Sonata, Sad Sonata, Snow Queen that have universal appeal because they don't sell in Korea anymore.

The funny thing is that things were always like this, with bad series outnumbering good series by a good margin in the golden age. The difference is that those poor series that would never have been sold overseas in 2000 are now being sold.

So viewers need to be selective about what they watch. Series like Goong, The Hour Between Dog and Wolf(I repeat, watch this show!!!), and forthcoming The Lobbyist are good shows worth watching and will sell to anyone, but need to skip everything else.

hehheheh...i guess i'll continues with The Hour Btw Dog and Wolf then.

BTW, good points..

Default Not much choice

I think I'm at the same stage as you are...Candee falling off. My friend gave me a few episodes of something rainbow. ooohh, I think they chose the main guy because he was big and looked a bit like Shin in Goong, and the supporting guy looked like Yul. I thought it was boring. Maybe she gave me the wrong episodes. You know how good Korean shows can have terribly boring episodes.

Anyway the alternative is all those reality shows... survivor, top model, and Donald Trump ........

Im feelin the same way tooo Sis. I think I've watched all the good ones already. Last one was "Lovers In Paris" and i stopped in the middle.

I want to branch out to Chinese, Japanese, etc. if anyone has recommendations.
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by bella25 View Post
    I think I'm at the same stage as you are...Candee falling off. My friend gave me a few episodes of something rainbow. ooohh, I think they chose the main guy because he was big and looked a bit like Shin in Goong, and the supporting guy looked like Yul. I thought it was boring. Maybe she gave me the wrong episodes. You know how good Korean shows can have terribly boring episodes.

Anyway the alternative is all those reality shows... survivor, top model, and Donald Trump ........
    Huh? You're not talking about Over the Rainbow, you know the one with Hwanhee from Fly to the Sky?

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Huh? You're not talking about Over the Rainbow, you know the one with Hwanhee from Fly to the Sky?

I hope not because OVER the RAinbOW was the Bomb, right Suet??

Quote Originally Posted by oGaKirA View Post
    Im feelin the same way tooo Sis. I think I've watched all the good ones already. Last one was "Lovers In Paris" and i stopped in the middle.

I want to branch out to Chinese, Japanese, etc. if anyone has recommendations.
    Why don't you try HANA YORI Dango ( they have it at the same site I gave you last time)==Japanese Series..I don't think you will like czu i noticed that you like really really sad drama, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JonDoe View Post

Well not for me because I didn't really ilke the really popular/mainstream K-dramas that everyone else liked. Winter Sonata, Endless Love Story, Stairway to Heaven (*gags x 100000000) didn't appeal to me. I felt Goong kind of pointless, same w/ Kim Sam Soon (which I own and have only watched 2 episodes before snoozing).

Quote Originally Posted by CanDEE View Post
    Why don't you try HANA YORI Dango ( they have it at the same site I gave you last time)==Japanese Series..I don't think you will like czu i noticed that you like really really sad drama, right?
    Actually, it does'nt have to be a tragic drama. As long as it makes an impression on me...wether it be love, romance etc. But ya...the sad ones do tend to make a biggger impression on me. I will take you on your recommendation.
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Was that earlier than Goong? Anyway, the guy was big and had big crooked teeth. I don't like crooked teeth. And more importantly, the two episodes that I watched were the same love triangle story we get all the time but some are better than others. This was not.

Really I thought one female character was like Goong, big hearted unsophisticated, poor, untalented, big eyes, thick lips. All there.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning View Post
    Well not for me because I didn't really ilke the really popular/mainstream K-dramas that everyone else liked. Winter Sonata, Endless Love Story, Stairway to Heaven (*gags x 100000000) didn't appeal to me. I felt Goong kind of pointless, same w/ Kim Sam Soon (which I own and have only watched 2 episodes before snoozing).
    Only two episodes? Dear me, you didn't give it a chance. I dare you, I challenge you to watch the entire drama, and still hold the same opinion or have it changed.