Page 13 of 250 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts II

What's if there is no more Internet?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I can't tell. All I see is this:

This content is currently unavailable
    The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.
    Return home
    Hmm, ok, I've attached it here. Hopefully, you can see it! Kelly.jpg

Though, she probably has that confident and "bold" features than Joey Meng. JM, IMO, look more gentle and "softer".
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Hmm, ok, I've attached it here. Hopefully, you can see it! Kelly.jpg

Though, she probably has that confident and "bold" features than Joey Meng. JM, IMO, look more gentle and "softer".
    Well...I can see how this woman's picture might have evoked the image of Joey Meng, especially the way Joey looks *today* in her late thirties/early forties. Joey's looks have changed considerably during the past ten years, not just from aging, but more from getting *thinner*. I know that thin has been the feminine ideal for decades now, but it really hasn't done any favors for her looks. This woman in the photograph, though not fundamentally unattractive, is a bit on the thin side in the face...giving her yes, a harsher look (she reminds me of my boss's secretary, really).

When I think of Joey Meng's image, I don't see her the way she's looked the past ten years, but the way she did during the 1990s, when she was between the ages of eighteen and twenty-eight. If you look at photos of Joey from the early to mid 1990s, and compare them with photos of her from the past ten years, there's a very notable difference. Sometimes, it's hard to reconcile that they're all photos of the same woman.

Of course, the Platonic ideal of a Joey Meng image is probably best captured in my artist friends' illustrations of my Jolie Minh character, who is forever young between the ages of sixteen and twenty-four.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/9249/joliecute.jpg')

Chief Warrant Officer Jolie Minh, age 17, U.C. 0099

I really think the polygamy = helping women logic is purely taking advantage of someone's weakness but hiding behind a veil of goodness.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Nice picture, Ken. What does "U.C. 0099" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Nice picture, Ken. What does "U.C. 0099" mean?
    In the fictional universe of MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM, the Christian calendar that much of the real world uses today ends in the year A.D. 2045, the first year that human beings begin colonizing outer space. With the dawn of a new era, the Universal Century (U.C.) calendar was adopted as the new global standard.

U.C. 0099, therefore, would be the equivalent of the year 2144 in our familiar calendar.

Well...I can see how this woman's picture might have evoked the image of Joey Meng, especially the way Joey looks *today* in her late thirties/early forties. Joey's looks have changed considerably during the past ten years, not just from aging, but more from getting *thinner*. I know that thin has been the feminine ideal for decades now, but it really hasn't done any favors for her looks. This woman in the photograph, though not fundamentally unattractive, is a bit on the thin side in the face...giving her yes, a harsher look (she reminds me of my boss's secretary, really).

When I think of Joey Meng's image, I don't see her the way she's looked the past ten years, but the way she did during the 1990s, when she was between the ages of eighteen and twenty-eight. If you look at photos of Joey from the early to mid 1990s, and compare them with photos of her from the past ten years, there's a very notable difference. Sometimes, it's hard to reconcile that they're all photos of the same woman.
    When I read this, and I thought of the same thing except in my case was Ada Choi.
    Less Than Perfect

Quote Originally Posted by mi do ri View Post
    When I read this, and I thought of the same thing except in my case was Ada Choi.
    Ada Choi's declining beauty trajectory has paralleled Joey Meng's: it's not the age that's done their looks in; it's the ill-considered skinniness. I think both ladies would be much more attractive today if they, you know, ate a sandwich every now and then.

Ada Choi's declining beauty trajectory has paralleled Joey Meng's: it's not the age that's done their looks in; it's the ill-considered skinniness. I think both ladies would be much more attractive today if they, you know, ate a sandwich every now and then.
    Also, I think Ada in her twenties still had baby fat which made he cheeks more filled/plumped, which made her much prettier than now. Aging is a scary process when spending too much time analyzing it.
    Less Than Perfect

Also, I think Ada in her twenties still had baby fat which made he cheeks more filled/plumped, which made her much prettier than now. Aging is a scary process when spending too much time analyzing it.
    Same as Joey Meng. During the 1990s when Joey was in her twenties, she was really babyfaced and cute. Even as she was approaching thirty, she could pass for a teenager...or at least a woman in her early twenties. From about 2001 onward, though, she started to shed ALOT of that baby fat and the consequences, literally, weren't very pretty. All of a sudden, her age, which she had successfully held off for more than a decade, began catching up with her all at once.

Girls, some advice: we guys don't find sticks sexy, OK?

Girls, some advice: we guys don't find sticks sexy, OK?
    I do have a question regarding Joey. Was she born in 1970 or 1972?

And regarding your quote, haha. You should have it on billboards everywhere. Maybe that will help counteract strereotypical celebrities' promotion of bones and skins. : )
    Less Than Perfect

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    What's if there is no more Internet?
    I think there would be more cons than pros if such thing were to ever happen.
    Less Than Perfect

I do have a question regarding Joey. Was she born in 1970 or 1972?
    Honestly: it depends on which source you believe. I've seen everything from 1969 to 1972.

And regarding your quote, haha. You should have it on billboards everywhere. Maybe that will help counteract strereotypical celebrities' promotion of bones and skins. : )
    It's gotten especially bad during the past fifteen or so years; somewhere along the way, people have gotten it into their heads that looking like famine victims or heroin addicts is "sexy."

Have anyone seen such a big crocodile? Is it real?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=surM2vXqu-s

Honestly: it depends on which source you believe. I've seen everything from 1969 to 1972.

It's gotten especially bad during the past fifteen or so years; somewhere along the way, people have gotten it into their heads that looking like famine victims or heroin addicts is "sexy."
    People judge beauty differently. For some (guys/girls), just need their partner to match up with them so that both look like a pair of beer barrel when stand together.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

In life, one must let go, let go and let go.

Yes, I strongly agree. Internet has allowed me to find information quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    People judge beauty differently. For some (guys/girls), just need their partner to match up with them so that both look like a pair of beer barrel when stand together.
    We see many beer barrels here in the U.S.

Still, the beer barrel shape isn't what's marketed as sexy. Nor should it be, as it isn't any more healthful than being a stick. Between those two extremes, however, is a healthy middle that somehow has become overlooked by the people who market glamor.

We *could* go back because, after all, civilization made it as far as 1995 or so without it, but it'd be a huge adjustment for the youngest generation that has never lived without it.

I wonder if all those traditional businesses and industries that have been wiped out by the Internet would all suddenly come roaring back to life if the Internet died, however.

To best illustrate the changes we've seen to Joey Meng's appearance over the years.

Here's Joey when she was in the prime of her beauty in 1992:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/1213/joey95c.jpg')

This is the image of Joey Meng upon which I based my character of Jolie Minh; Joey consistently looked like this from 1990-1995.

After 1995, her looks began to evolve. In the late 1990s, she looked like this:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.gcpnews.com/images/pool/2009-07/f0f3d188931b1955799fb3b9f7d9c8e3.jpg')

This photo, dating to around 1999, shows Joey as still highly attractive, but in my opinion, off peak.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.chinanews.com.cn/news/2004/2004-10-07/26/_1097149907_0410070070.jpg')

This image, dating to the early 2000s, shows a thinning of Joey's face and the beginnings of detectable mileage. She's still an attractive lady, but it's very clear that her teenage years are long behind her. In this picture, Joey resembles a more attractive version of the lady whose picture cedric posted.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i3.sinaimg.cn/ent/j/2010-12-19/U2223P28T3D3181590F326DT20101219220056.jpg')

This is a photo taken of Joey within the past three years. Is she still a beautiful woman? Of course she is. Does she resemble her younger self, who inspired Jolie Minh's design? Not at all.

Perhaps it's unfair to say that Joey's looks have declined. She's still a beautiful woman, but the nature of her beauty has changed over the years and is now far from my image of Jolie Minh.