Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: do you text or talk on phone while driving?

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    Studies have shown that using handfree and handheld cell phones doesn't significantly change the driving ability -i.e. it's the distraction that causes accidents, not so much holding the phone. The necessary precautions like using a head piece do not eliminate nor significantly reduce the cost to driver reactions.
    but isn't that pretty much the same distraction as holding a conversation with a passenger or even listening to the radio?

i don't find talking on the phone as bad of an offense (though, using a headset, speaker, bluetooth, etc would be much better).

texting though should NOT occur. I might as well be playing video games while driving x_x.

I watch anime/kdrama/jdorama through the LCD and also listening and checking the turn from the GPS navigator

My GPS navigator can also alert me, like: "Achtung! car in front is just 1 meter away or in exactly 5 seconds if you don't do something you're going into a terrible accident"

It's a very un-distracting to the driving experience, its just added the richness...

ARTS

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    but isn't that pretty much the same distraction as holding a conversation with a passenger or even listening to the radio?

i don't find talking on the phone as bad of an offense (though, using a headset, speaker, bluetooth, etc would be much better).

texting though should NOT occur. I might as well be playing video games while driving x_x.
    Exactly, and how are you going to regulate that? Don't think there are studies comparing convo with passenger vs. convo on the phone.

The headset makes it look better, but reaction time is still similar with the distraction. People can still drive reasonably well with head cocked at an angle/one hand.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    People can still drive reasonably well with head cocked at an angle/one hand.
    But they drive BETTER without having to strain their neck (or with both hands). Having to tilt one's head will skew angle of perception while driving. Or, if the shoulders are propped, it limits the range of motions.

Unless law enforcement starts to enforce some stiff fines on offenders, the careless people will still do what they please. That's who they are, careless people who don't care about other people's lives.

I have no problem with them driving off a cliff and getting crushed into meat lasagna then burnt to a crisp when they are alone in the car, but when they harm their passengers and other people on the road, that ain't right.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    But they drive BETTER without having to strain their neck (or with both hands). Having to tilt one's head will skew angle of perception while driving. Or, if the shoulders are propped, it limits the range of motions.
    That's what we would assume, but not what the study shows. Not statistically significant from the ones I've read in the past. Some how driver reaction and concentration is more important than checking blindspots, and manouvering the steering wheel, well at least when it comes to getting into an accident.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

I absolutely avoid texting when I drive. Unless it's a serious emergency, I would wait till I park somewhere before I text.

I also try to avoid talking on phone when I'm driving. My car has the bluetooth thingy, but I find it still distracts me from my driving (specially because I need to find & grab my phone first to know who's calling...the radio thingy only shows number which sometimes I don't memorize/recognize). I'm usually good at doing multiple things at once, but driving & talking on the phone is one thing I can't master I am one of the guilty people that still talk & drive at the same time although I know it's dangerous.

Both illegal to do while driving in my home state of California. Unless you have an ear piece, then you can talk but never text.
    Last edited by Dennis Chen; 09-15-09 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/09/te...racted.html?hp

What do you think of drivers who are texting on yapping on their cell while driving? And do you do it? If you do, I would like to smack you in the head. Please stick your head to the computer screen and let me hit you through cyberspace. Thank you.

I would love to see a law making such offenses punishable by prison time and a suspension of revoke of their driver’s licenses. It’s just as bad as DUI’ing.
    Would love to see these laws enforced properly in Malaysia. They already exist, but there's virtually no enforcement. I've been on the receiving end of dangerous driving by drivers who are obviously either texting or talking on the phone. Fortunately, there haven't been any accidents.

I've also almost been knocked down by another cyclist who was texting while cycling downhill (!) over here in Korea.

Edit: And to answer the question posed in this thread, the answer is no. I haven't owned a mobile phone in 4 years, and when I did, I've never answered the phone without a hands-free kit while driving because I feel that it's dangerous (maybe I don't multitask well). Even then, it was rare, and I've never texted.
    Last edited by thesoothsayer; 09-16-09 at 04:18 AM.

I've seen people slowly running the red light because they are distracted talking on the phone....

recently, there was a video on the web with people getting hit by cars because they were on the phone and not paying attention to the road... pretty disturbing....

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    I've seen people slowly running the red light because they are distracted talking on the phone....

recently, there was a video on the web with people getting hit by cars because they were on the phone and not paying attention to the road... pretty disturbing....
    I agree. I don't talk and text when I drive. Lot of accidents which cause permanent injuries and deaths due to talking and texting. It's illegal here but people still do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I agree. I don't talk and text when I drive. Lot of accidents which cause permanent injuries and deaths due to talking and texting. It's illegal here but people still do it.
    Even law enforcements do it. I use to ride with them to visit victims and they would constantly be on their phones texting and talking while driving. I would hold onto my seat for dear life!
    Sim neej aws...

Nope. I keep my phone my bag which is zipped up so I never got the temptation to pick it up. I don't have much friends so hardly anyone calls me. Usually they just SMS me and I text back when I stop the car. But my sister and dad do it and as a passenger, it is scary when they just look down from the road and hold onto the steering wheel with one hand.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

yeh for me its mostly sms now but I do not look until my car is no longer in motion.