Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: TVB Wuxia 2000's vs TVB Wuxia 90's

Default TVB Wuxia 2000's vs TVB Wuxia 90's

Do you prefer the wuxia tv series in the 2000's or the ones in the 90's?

In terms of the filmography and how the series looks, i find the ones in the 2000's look more bright. Everything looks so bright, clean and happy. When I watch the ones in the 90's, it looks more grittier and darker. Does anybody else see that?

Even the music seems like this. Take HSDS 2000 for an example. The whole series including the non-vocal music and filmography looks so bright and simple. When I watch the series i don't feel any danger for the protaganist because the series just FEELs so happy-happy. There's no gritty feeling to it.

I can't exactly put my finger on it (!!) , but it just seems like the series in the 2000's are very bright and simple while the ones in the 90's seem a more darker and grittier.

Does anybody else notice this?

In my opinion, TVB just don't make wuxia series the way they used to. I think China is taking over the wuxia crown (not to mention they have the license from Jin Yong).

Quote Originally Posted by Ganryu View Post
    Do you prefer the wuxia tv series in the 2000's or the ones in the 90's?

In terms of the filmography and how the series looks, i find the ones in the 2000's look more bright. Everything looks so bright, clean and happy. When I watch the ones in the 90's, it looks more grittier and darker. Does anybody else see that?

Even the music seems like this. Take HSDS 2000 for an example. The whole series including the non-vocal music and filmography looks so bright and simple. When I watch the series i don't feel any danger for the protaganist because the series just FEELs so happy-happy. There's no gritty feeling to it.

I can't exactly put my finger on it (!!) , but it just seems like the series in the 2000's are very bright and simple while the ones in the 90's seem a more darker and grittier.

Does anybody else notice this?

In my opinion, TVB just don't make wuxia series the way they used to. I think China is taking over the wuxia crown (not to mention they have the license from Jin Yong).
    TVB wuxia 80s is the best ever. TVB wuxia 90s and 2000s are not as good. However, they are still better than wuxia china anyday. Wuxia series from the mainland aren't as good as wuxia series from Hong Kong despite of higher budget. Perhap this is just me, I still like Hong Kong series more...

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    TVB wuxia 80s is the best ever. TVB wuxia 90s and 2000s are not as good. However, they are still better than wuxia china anyday. Wuxia series from the mainland aren't as good as wuxia series from Hong Kong despite of higher budget. Perhap this is just me, I still like Hong Kong series more...
    Why am not shocked to see this type of response from TC??? People are asking about the 90s and 2000s, NOT the 80s!!! Actually, I love the 80s as well, but I still admit that some series from the 90s and 2000s were good as well. Also, NOT EVERY SERIES FROM THE 80s WAS GOOD!!! I used to watch 90% TVB in the 80s, but now I watch mainly China, Taiwanese or Singaporean series if I watch any new series at all. TVB has really gone downhill.....
    Last edited by Trinie; 01-26-09 at 10:30 PM.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

I'm with you. The 90s wuxia actually felt ancient and very dark/mysterious/complex. With todays technology, glamed up costumes/hair, high filmography just makes the series lose its ancient feel. I prefer the dirtier, darker, gritty 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by bebe_girl View Post
    I'm with you. The 90s wuxia actually felt ancient and very dark/mysterious/complex. With todays technology, glamed up costumes/hair, high filmography just makes the series lose its ancient feel. I prefer the dirtier, darker, gritty 90s.
    Yes same here. So I'm not the only one, good

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I'm asking about 90's TVB vs 2000's TVB, nothing to do with the 80's.

Well since you brought up the topic of the 80's, let's talk about Jin Yong series. The 80's had the best HSDS and LOCH, but 90's had the best SOD, DGSD, and ROCH versions. So you can't say 90's is not good, 90's had a strong wuxia lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    Why am not shocked to see this type of response from TC??? People are asking about the 90s and 2000s, NOT the 80s!!! Actually, I love the 80s as well, but I still admit that some series from the 90s and 2000s were good as well. Also, NOT EVERY SERIES FROM THE 80s WAS GOOD!!! I used to watch 90% TVB in the 80s, but now I watch mainly China, Taiwanese or Singaporean series if I watch any new series at all. TVB has really gone downhill.....
    I agree, TVB has definitely gone downhill. And there are garbage series from the 80's like Smiling Proud Wanderer.
    Last edited by Ghaleon; 01-27-09 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    *What* TVB wuxia in the 2000s?
    My thoughts exactly! Please give a list of "good" TVB wuxia in the 00s.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    *What* TVB wuxia in the 2000s?
    LOL. There are TVB wuxia series in the 2000s but they aren't as good as the ones made in the 90's and 80's IMO.

Here are some of the 2000's TVB series I watched that i can remember off the top of my head: Twin of Brothers, HSDS 2000, Lethal Weapons of Love & Passion, Devil's Disciple, Guts of Man & Strike at Heart.

They don't make them as they used to... sigh.

90s is best. 80s is really corny special effect/setting. 00s is too advance, looks almost like based in the future
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Here are some of the 2000's TVB series I watched that i can remember off the top of my head: Twin of Brothers, HSDS 2000, Lethal Weapons of Love & Passion, Devil's Disciple, Guts of Man & Strike at Heart.
    Thanks for the list. I haven't watched any of them, but from reviews I've read/heard, Lethal Weapons would probably be the best out of the bunch. Still, I refuse to watch anything with Charmaine Sheh in it .

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    Thanks for the list. I haven't watched any of them, but from reviews I've read/heard, Lethal Weapons would probably be the best out of the bunch. Still, I refuse to watch anything with Charmaine Sheh in it .
    it is time for u to put down ur bias lethal weapon was ok, but twins of brother was best

and avoid Devil's Disciple, Guts of Man & Strike at Heart completely

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    it is time for u to put down ur bias lethal weapon was ok, but twins of brother was best

i know, but it's too hard to do and yes, charmaine annoys me THAT much. i would give twins of brothers a try if the ending was not so crappy. plus ron ng can't act. i'd probably throw something at the tv screen in hopes of getting some emotion out of him.

i know, but it's too hard to do and yes, charmaine annoys me THAT much. i would give twins of brothers a try if the ending was not so crappy. plus ron ng can't act. i'd probably throw something at the tv screen in hopes of getting some emotion out of him.
    u need to watch without bias to fully enjoy the series btw if u dont like those 2, i'll recommend Vagabond Vigilante to u

ps:vote in spcnet idol 3, my signature ur time will not be wasted, trust me ^^
    Last edited by LuNaR; 01-27-09 at 03:14 AM.

u need to watch without bias to fully enjoy the series btw if u dont like those 2, i'll recommend Vagabond Vigilante to u

ps:vote in spcnet idol 3, my signature ur time will not be wasted, trust me ^^
    Vagabond Vigilante is You Jian Jiang Hu right?? That series is actually not a TVB production. I think it is a mainland Chinese production(or maybe it was a joint production?), but was aired by TVB. I thought it was ok, but not that great...That's just my opinion though.

I actually enjoyed Lethal Weapons of Love and Passion overall since the plot was decent, so I recommend that as well. The ending was decent too... My mom didn't enjoy it much though, but she is difficult anyways so i hard to please...
    Last edited by Trinie; 01-27-09 at 03:24 AM.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Did you like Charmaine's portrayal of ZZR in HSDS?

I agree with you, twins of brothers was probably the best of the lot. Devil's Disciple ain't that bad. If you view it as a wuxia parody, in the same way Scary Movie is viewed as a horror movie parody, then you might get some enjoyment out of it. But yeah, 90's is far superior in my opinion.

I was going to see Twin of Brothers but heard that the ending was horrible. Also, it is not a good adaption of the novel.

Did you like Charmaine's portrayal of ZZR in HSDS?

I agree with you, twins of brothers was probably the best of the lot. Devil's Disciple ain't that bad. If you view it as a wuxia parody, in the same way Scary Movie is viewed as a horror movie parody, then you might get some enjoyment out of it. But yeah, 90's is far superior in my opinion.
    devil's desciple was pretty bad though. i mean up to eps 19 it was all serious and stuff and seems to be good, then it goes bad. i mean the main characters learn all the jin yong martial arts (the marble flick move from HYS, HL18 palm, etc) and even the dragon ball move (yes the kamakamaka move from dragonball) in 5 minutes and use it on the last boss to beat him... seems like tvb needs to invent something to beat the final boss to end the series. but that isnt the worst part, the worst is they all start dancing at the end and sings in ENGLISH remember this is an ancient series i gotta say shirley was pretty cute in there tho lol

Vagabond Vigilante is You Jian Jiang Hu right?? That series is actually not a TVB production. I think it is a mainland Chinese production(or maybe it was a joint production?), but was aired by TVB. I thought it was ok, but not that great...That's just my opinion though.

I actually enjoyed Lethal Weapons of Love and Passion overall since the plot was decent, so I recommend that as well. The ending was decent too... My mom didn't enjoy it much though, but she is difficult anyways so i hard to please...
    o really? i saw many tvb characters there but the main female lead sure doesnt look hk, so i guess ur right

I can tell that You Jian Jiang Hu was not a TVB production, but yea they invited some stars from HK like Sunny Chan, Sonja Kwok and Kenny Ho to be in it. MOst of the cast were from China and some were from Taiwan too, like Tammy Chen. But TVB bought the rights to air it.

A Step Into the Past was one of the best in 00's. Very good editing, script and plus a stellar cast.

I can tell that You Jian Jiang Hu was not a TVB production, but yea they invited some stars from HK like Sunny Chan, Sonja Kwok and Kenny Ho to be in it. MOst of the cast were from China and some were from Taiwan too, like Tammy Chen. But TVB bought the rights to air it.
    I thought this series sucked at the end. The ending just sucked like they ran out of things to happen and started to get rid of almost all the characters. It dragged too.

I haven't found a satisfying wuxia or ancient costume drama from TVB for years.

I suppose A Step In The Past is decent enough, though I didn't like any of the main actresses in there.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.