Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Chinese Americans seen in negative light.

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare View Post
    Nothing.
    But since being a racist is - in your book - obviously nothing to be made too much fuss about, I don't get why you complain about Whites being (as you seem to believe) so awfully prone to it.
    If you are interested to know, I'm a racist not because I was brought up that way, but because of racism from the other side of the world. Yes, I know how ironic that is. But it's hard not to loathe them when they keep giving Asians the middle finger and 'kiss-my-***-you-low-class-human-beings' attitude, and the way they keep trying to lord it over us as if we are still in the colonial era.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 06-22-09 at 11:00 PM.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Yes, I'm racist. So what about it.
    You mean you hate Yeung Gor too?

Never would have guessed from someone who uses the handle "Guo Xiang."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post

Our history is full of warriors. Learn and know yours. I know mine - my ancestors, the Vietnamese, were indomitable.
    Well, that damn jungle was indomitable anyway. Even the Americans with all their high tech gear couldn't make any headway against the great Southeast Asian jungle with its flora and fauna. They even devised Agent Orange to defoliate it, but to ultimately no avail.

Vietnam is sort of like Russia that way: the climate and geography will beat you even if the natives don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post

I actually don't automatically hate all whites.

And I am not interested in knowing his skin colour. I don't start off chats with people by asking about their skin colour and race, and I don't judge people by that when getting to know them.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

@Candide, what's up with all the asians are pussies and all that? i'm from toronto and the "asians are pussies" stereotype doesn't exist here. just curious where you get the idea that asians are pussies. do you live in australia or something where asians are viewed as "weak"?

i didn't know yeung gor was white

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post

i didn't know yeung gor was white
    It's an old joke from the Yushy Wuxia Forum.

About...oh, maybe around ten years ago, I was in an argument there with some starry-eyed Yeung Gor fan about how his/her hero wasn't all that. When this person ran out of comebacks, he/she then finished with the retort, "You just hate Yeung Gor because you're a racist!"

And that response has become legendary ever since.

I wonder what ever happened to that guy/girl. Before leaving, this same person also threatened to get his/her "thousands" of online friends to crash the Yushy forum.

Well, about eight years later, that forum *did* get killed by pharmaceutical SPAMmers, so maybe this person got his/her revenge after all...

I'm in Australia. We dont' exactly have a good rep down here but the stereotype of Asians being pussies is most prevalent in North America. I heard about most of negative Asian stereotypes from North American forums and other social media. Come on, you may not be one, but it's not hard to open your eyes and ears and find out what other people are assuming of us, collectively.

This is typical of the pussy attitude I've talked about: http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=27000
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

It's an old joke from the Yushy Wuxia Forum.

About...oh, maybe around ten years ago, I was in an argument there with some starry-eyed Yeung Gor fan about how his/her hero wasn't all that. When this person ran out of comebacks, he/she then finished with the retort, "You just hate Yeung Gor because you're a racist!"

And that response has become legendary ever since.

I wonder what ever happened to that guy/girl. Before leaving, this same person also threatened to get his/her "thousands" of online friends to crash the Yushy forum.

Well, about eight years later, that forum *did* get killed by pharmaceutical SPAMmers, so maybe this person got his/her revenge after all...
    Yeah that was a pretty dumb retort. But you don't actually *hate* Jin Yong's famous fictional character Yang Guo, rite? More like annoyed i'm guessing.

Yeah for some reason JY's characters (fictional i might add) sparks highly intense fandoms

I'm in Australia. We dont' exactly have a good rep down here but the stereotype of Asians being pussies is most prevalent in North America. I heard about most of negative Asian stereotypes from North American forums and other social media. Come on, you may not be one, but it's not hard to open your eyes and ears and find out what other people are assuming of us, collectively.

This is typical of the pussy attitude I've talked about: http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=27000
    US as a whole is kinda screwed up. U gotta look at the big asian north american cities like Toronto, Vancouver, San Francisco, New York, etc. You can't accept the asian stereotypes coming from white folks who live in Oaklahoma. It's true that most asians may only hang around with asians. but pussies? not all asians are nerdy geeky university A students. likewise, not all asians are kungfu-savvy Jet Li's or Jackie Chan's. if anything, i thought the stereotype would be Kungfu-crazy with all the splash Jet Li and Jackie Chan has made. some of the high schools in toronto have up to 60% asians (even some universities). there's also bad asian gangs too. so i don't know where the stereotype of asians are weak comes from. the only remotely thing i can think of is the "asians are smart and good at a school" stereotype. that stereotype may convert to "asians are geeks" to "asians are weak". but even that's stretching it.

@Candide, what's up with all the asians are pussies and all that? i'm from toronto and the "asians are pussies" stereotype doesn't exist here. just curious where you get the idea that asians are pussies. do you live in australia or something where asians are viewed as "weak"?
    Have you ever heard of the expression 東亞病夫 (Weak Men of East Asia)? That's what Chinese people were called for many years. By the way, the stereotype of Chinese/Asians being weak didn't start recently; it started when Western countries took control of Asia more than a century ago. Since then, Asians have been perceived as inferior to Caucasians. It wasn't that long ago when we were treated as second class citizens in our own country (China/Taiwan/Singapore/India etc).
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Have you ever heard of the expression 東亞病夫 (Weak Men of East Asia)? That's what Chinese people were called for many years. By the way, the stereotype of Chinese/Asians being weak didn't start recently; it started when Western countries took control of Asia more than a century ago. Since then, Asians have been perceived as inferior to Caucasians. It wasn't that long ago when we were treated as second class citizens in our own country (China/Taiwan/Singapore/India etc).
    you're living in the dark ages. things have changed since then.

you're living in the dark ages. things have changed since then.
    No sh*t. I was pointing out that the perception we're talking about has been around for a long, long time, and it definitely has its basis. Just because things have changed in recent times doesn't mean the majority of people's perception has been realigned to the change.

Besides, things may not have changed as much as you think. I think you need to look at the big picture. For example where I live, it's a fact that Asians are perceived as pushovers (because most of them are pushovers). And everywhere I go, I see mostly the same thing.

To me, denying that most Asians are pushovers is like denying that most Blacks are poor (relatively speaking of course). And it's not just a perception that Asians are pushovers, it's a reality. A sad, sad reality.
    Last edited by PJ; 06-23-09 at 01:01 AM.

No sh*t. I was just trying to explain where (part of) the perception came from. Just because things have changed in recent times doesn't mean the majority of people's perception has been realigned to the change.

Besides, things may not have changed as much as you think. I think you need to look at the big picture. For example where I live, it's a fact that Asians are perceived as pushovers (because most of them are pushovers). And everywhere I go, I see mostly the same thing.

To me, denying that most Asians are pushovers is like denying that most Blacks are poor (relatively speaking of course). And it's not just a perception that Asians are pushovers, it's a reality. A sad, sad reality.
    where are you from? all these stereotypes are new to me, seriously. i only heard of the stereotype "asians are good in school" and "asians are into kung-fu". maybe the asians you hang around with maybe are pushovers. it doesn't mean most asians are. you never seen asians get into fights? you never been to an asian night club? maybe the asians you hang around with are engineers, doctors, lawyers. they're well-pampered and never had a tough life to toughen up. but if you move away from the suburbs, there's lot of "tough" asians.

speaking of stereotypes, over here, some viets have a reputation of being tough gangster bad boy types. most of my viet friends fit in this category.
    Last edited by Ghaleon; 06-23-09 at 12:34 AM.

No sh*t. I was just trying to explain where (part of) the perception came from. Just because things have changed in recent times doesn't mean the majority of people's perception has been realigned to the change.

And yet, I hear that "our" Asian criminal gangs are scarier than the criminal gangs of other ethnic groups (although the Mexican gangs can give anybody a run for their money). Go figure.

And yet, I hear that "our" Asian criminal gangs are scarier than the criminal gangs of other ethnic groups (although the Mexican gangs can give anybody a run for their money). Go figure.
    Yeah definitely. Viet gangster guys are known to be tough and rough. My viet friends tell me the toughness comes from their culture (the jungle and all that).

Then there's Hui Mun Keung and the Shanghai mafia.

When non-Asians say that Asians are weak pussies, they aren't thinking about the gangsters. They're referring to the Asian kids they go to uni / college with, work a corporate job with, see in various service jobs, etc. They know nothing about the Viet smugglers or the Chinese triad gangsters.

This is about popular perception & images.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon
    all these stereotypes are new to me, seriously.
    You're welcome. What do they say? "You learn something new everyday".
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

No contradiction with most Asians being pushovers. I think it's safe to say that 99% of Asians are not criminal gangs.

where are you from? all these stereotypes are new to me, seriously. i only heard of the stereotype "asians are good in school" and "asians are into kung-fu". maybe the asians you hang around with maybe are pushovers. it doesn't mean most asians are. you never seen asians get into fights? you never been to an asian night club? maybe the asians you hang around with are engineers, doctors, lawyers. they're well-pampered and never had a tough life to toughen up. but if you move away from the suburbs, there's lot of "tough" asians.
    The better question is where are YOU from, and why are you oblivious to the rest of the world.

Most Asians are tough? Haha, that really made my day!

When non-Asians say that Asians are weak pussies, they aren't thinking about the gangsters. They're referring to the Asian kids they go to uni / college with, work a corporate job with, see in various service jobs, etc. They know nothing about the Viet smugglers or the Chinese triad gangsters.

This is about popular perception & images.
    it really depends where you're from. not all asians are smart geeks studying in universities. not all asians live in rich suburb neighbourhoods. even smart white people studying in university are bound to have a population of geeks. even white people living in rich suburb neighbourhoods are bound to be push-overs.

i don't understand how an average asian is bound to be a pushover because of his genetic makeup or culture.

Does that mean China, Vietnam, Korea and Japan are full of geeks? No. Those countries have a variety of people. tough people. weak people. smart people. etc.

The better question is where are YOU from, and why are you oblivious to the rest of the world.

Most Asians are tough? Haha, that really made my day!
    Most asians are normal asians. You can't possibly tell me most viets or most chinese are pushovers. You ever been to Vietnam, Korea or China? You're telling me most of the population are weak push-overs? Give me a ****ing break.
    Last edited by Ghaleon; 06-23-09 at 01:24 AM.

No one is saying that Asians are actually all "geeks" or "pushovers." People are talking about stereotypes, which is what others perceive Asians to be, and stereotypes may or may not be true.

To be frank, I've heard all the positive and negative Asian stereotypes mentioned, more positive ones being Asians are "smart," "good at math," "hard-working," etc., and the bad ones being Asians are "geeks," "can't drive," "weak," "pushovers."

Every race/culture/group will have its positive and negative stereotypes. If you don't want it to affect you, break out of the stereotypes.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.