Thread: R U getting lazier?

Default R U getting lazier?

We're living in an technological era where things are getting easier all the time, devices are getting smaller all the time, and physical things replaced by digital all the time.

Perhaps as a consequence--having gotten used to easy access to many things with but a few mouse clicks: pictures, communication, movies, music, news--I found that I am becoming more and more put off by "inconvenience" imposed by the real world. For example, if I have to open a box underneath a pile of other stuff in order to get to a CD (thus risking accidental spilling), I'll groan and perhaps give up and just download the thing from the internet, thanks to everything become more and more available digitally.

But really, if I actually perform the physical feat of removing the pile of stuff and opening the box to get what I want (and of course, putting those back together once finished), it's not bad at all. It's the psychological barrier telling me "this is really inconvenient."

Indeed, physical objects are rapidly being replaced by digital, and are getting more and more obsolete.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

This is true. More and more convenient technology does make people lazier. People do more things sitting in front of the PC than actually getting up and moving around.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

yes.......

yes. i totally agree. some years ago, i have to walk about 20 mins to buy food. now walking 5 mins i am complaining. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    some years ago, i have to walk about 20 mins to buy food. now walking 5 mins i am complaining. :-)
    Luckily, I still enjoy physical activities, especially outdoor. But it's definitely easy to not get much of it if you don't try deliberately.

You must be getting lazier. I can tell just by reading the topic title.

Quote Originally Posted by devilz91 View Post
    You must be getting lazier. I can tell just by reading the topic title.
    LOL u r really smart!

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    LOL u r really smart!
    ty u 2!!!!

There is another view that should be considered when it comes to being lazier. Sometimes, "lazy" and its comparatives are not based on your own assessments of yourself, but other peoples' perceptions of you. For example, if I see a person sitting on a couch watching TV all day when there are chores to be done, I might call him/her "lazy".

PJ says that the advent of technology makes things more convenient (requiring fewer steps or less effort), so people may avoid anything that perceived as "inconvenient" (requiring more steps or increased effort), and thus be deemed "lazy(ier)".

Well, besides convenience, technology also enables people to do more work within the same given period of time. For example, managing data by hand with paper forms and files, and perhaps calculators to add up any numbers, will certainly take more time that if the same data is managed with an appropriate data management software. Since people can and do do more work with the aid of technology, they may become more (mentally) tired. So when these same people leave the workplace, they may just want to sit back and rest. Other people may view them as "lazy" or "lazier", since their workday (hours) remain ostensibly unchanged.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

I'm not .... just feel like a car, getting low on "petroleum".
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

I actually feel more stupid than before....just because I don't use my brain as much as before since we have all that technologies to do it for us.

I used to be able to remember a bunch (and I mean a lot) of phone numbers. My friends used to call me 'yellow pages' since they would just call me whenever they need to find a phone number. Now? I hardly remember phone numbers anymore since everything is in my cellphone phonebook.

Information & news are everywhere. If I feel to find out something, surf the web and tada, there it is....no need to worry, no need to memorize it....if you need it again, then search it again.

There are also few times when my brain can't perform simple math calculation like how much to tip. Yes, I'm getting older so it might be as simple as my brain isn't working as good as before. But having a knowledge that my cellphone can perform calculation for me isn't helping either.

I am, however, refuse to use organizer for events/appointments or birthdays. I still am 100% using my brain to remember that. At least it gives me feeling that I still have some sort of control of my life.

I'm reminded of something I read from the God of user interface design, who said that Google, by making it so easy to find stuff on the internet, has made people lazier and less patient, such that people now only look at a website for a few seconds before moving on, whereas they used to spend more time understanding each page.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I'm reminded of something I read from the God of user interface design, who said that Google, by making it so easy to find stuff on the internet, has made people lazier and less patient, such that people now only look at a website for a few seconds before moving on, whereas they used to spend more time understanding each page.
    Less patient, but, not lazier. They go to a page, get the info they are looking for, then move on. I don't find that as lazy. They are just being efficient.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quite the opposite for me. I am getting more active. This yr I even joined a dragon boat race team. The practice is grueling but it's a great work out.

Most people I know my age (a bit north of 30) are so lazy and out of shape. Can't or won't even walk 10 blocks.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner