Thread: 大唐双龙传 [Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan] by Huang Yi

Wow, thanks foxs for the update

Thanks, foxs.

Mudra
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This article is about the use of mudra in Indic religion. For mudra as used in Indian classical music, see Mudra (music).
    For MUDRA bank, see Micro Units Development and Refinance Agency Bank.

A mudra (/muˈdrɑː/ (About this sound listen); Sanskrit "seal", "mark", or "gesture"; Tibetan: ཕྱག་རྒྱ་, THL: chakgya) is a symbolic or ritual gesture in Hinduism and Buddhism.[1] While some mudras involve the entire body, most are performed with the hands and fingers.[2] A mudrā is a spiritual gesture and an energetic seal of authenticity employed in the iconography and spiritual practice of Indian religions.

Thanks foxs

Sometimes you got to love Huang Yi. The power upgrading is really like magic. So Ziling has just understood a new profound martial arts philosophy and hence, he has magically upgraded himself. Does this mean a massive increase in techniques or internal strength?

Well, apparently it'll be enough to beat someone probably ranked 4th or 5th on the Top 8 Demonic Master list......and here, we're had so many arguments on the magical nature of Dugu Nine Swords.

I think Ziling's upcoming feat is much more impressive than when Zhang Wuji first learnt Taiji Quan and Taiji Sword on Wudang to fight off Ah Da, Ah Er and Ah San. Or him learning the Shenhuo Tablet skills against the Persian Ming Cult Protectors.

Insightful scholarship, thanks for tracing its etymological truth, restoring its depth of meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by akolaw View Post
    Mudra
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This article is about the use of mudra in Indic religion. For mudra as used in Indian classical music, see Mudra (music).
    For MUDRA bank, see Micro Units Development and Refinance Agency Bank.

A mudra (/muˈdrɑː/ (About this sound listen); Sanskrit "seal", "mark", or "gesture"; Tibetan: ཕྱག་རྒྱ་, THL: chakgya) is a symbolic or ritual gesture in Hinduism and Buddhism.[1] While some mudras involve the entire body, most are performed with the hands and fingers.[2] A mudrā is a spiritual gesture and an energetic seal of authenticity employed in the iconography and spiritual practice of Indian religions.
    I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. 弗拉基米爾弗拉基米羅維奇納博科夫

Quote Originally Posted by shirak View Post
    Sometimes you got to love Huang Yi. The power upgrading is really like magic. So Ziling has just understood a new profound martial arts philosophy and hence, he has magically upgraded himself.
    Haha... wuxia is fantasy after all. HY probably didn't want Ziling to find a secret martial arts manual for his power upgrade as that's been done before, but the combination of some philosophic discussions, a set of statues and his innate intelligence will achieve the same objective...

On another note, I'm not really connecting with either Qingxuan or Feixuan as characters. I feel they come across a bit too contemporary, even allowing for literary license. I'm certainly enjoying the story a great deal though. It's somewhat surprising why it isn't being discussed more (or at all) on the main forum. Surely the regulars must be sick to death of the same old subjects that come up again and again and again...

Thanks Fox. Yes, Yi Jin Jing from Jin Yong. But when this novel said Huan Ri Da Fa can change someone's bone and muscle, it reminds me to the name of Yi Jin Jing.

If I may hazard a guess the Six Accomplishments refers to the Six Yogas of Naropa (ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Yogas_of_Naropa). There is a section there that talks about the physical exercises one needed to accomplish when one practicing this Tantric method:

"Physical exercises
    Before engaging in the actual practices of the Six Dharmas, one begins by doing the "six exercises of Naropa".

Filling like a Vase a breathing technique
    Circling like a Wheel rolling the solar plexus
    Hooking like a Hook snapping the elbow into the chest
    Showing the Mudrā of Vajra Binding moving the mudrā from the crown downwards
    Straightening like an Arrow hands and knees on the floor with the spine straight; heaving like a dog
    Shaking the Head and Entire Body pulling the fingers, followed by massaging the two hands"

The 3 meridians (or the 3 Nadis) here would refer to the kundalini three channels of qi (prana): Ida (Feminine/Moon), Pingala (Masculine/Sun), and Sushumna (Central channel). Typically, the Sushumna has no attribute as in male or female, like an empty space. The seven lun or chakras are located along the Sushumna channel.

The mudras are usually translated as hand seals in other xianxia works. I remember an old movie in 1988 titled The Peacock King. You can see the mudras in action as demonstrated by Hiroshi Mikam, (see: http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtm...isplay_set=eng).

As for 换日大法 I would take it as coming from the phrase 偷天换日. The ability to control the heavens and determine the time of day, night or day, according to one's will.

Thanks for the update foxs.

Im going off topic i believe that the hand prints might sound better as seals. Going off topic to bring up naruto. When they cast ninja spells in naurto they use hand gestures. I believe those are translated as seals/signs i cant remember gettng older. Which i believe is equalvent of what the author is trying to express.

Quote Originally Posted by LuDongBin View Post
    If I may hazard a guess the Six Accomplishments refers to the Six Yogas of Naropa (ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Yogas_of_Naropa). There is a section there that talks about the physical exercises one needed to accomplish when one practicing this Tantric method:

"Physical exercises
    Before engaging in the actual practices of the Six Dharmas, one begins by doing the "six exercises of Naropa".

Filling like a Vase a breathing technique
    Circling like a Wheel rolling the solar plexus
    Hooking like a Hook snapping the elbow into the chest
    Showing the Mudrā of Vajra Binding moving the mudrā from the crown downwards
    Straightening like an Arrow hands and knees on the floor with the spine straight; heaving like a dog
    Shaking the Head and Entire Body pulling the fingers, followed by massaging the two hands"

The 3 meridians (or the 3 Nadis) here would refer to the kundalini three channels of qi (prana): Ida (Feminine/Moon), Pingala (Masculine/Sun), and Sushumna (Central channel). Typically, the Sushumna has no attribute as in male or female, like an empty space. The seven lun or chakras are located along the Sushumna channel.

The mudras are usually translated as hand seals in other xianxia works. I remember an old movie in 1988 titled The Peacock King. You can see the mudras in action as demonstrated by Hiroshi Mikam, (see: http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtm...isplay_set=eng).

As for 换日大法 I would take it as coming from the phrase 偷天换日. The ability to control the heavens and determine the time of day, night or day, according to one's will.
    Yes, it refer to the six accomplishment dharma of vajrayana practice.

We should say six yoga of Nanopa is one of them. In fact, all four remaining Tibetan Buddhist sectMarpa have similar teaching, Nanopa, the Indian pundit, is the Guru of Marpa Lotsawa,Marpa. the founding father of Kagyu tradition/bai kou. so Nanopa six accomplishment dharma actually refer to linage from Nanopa.

continue of above.

Kagyu is one of the four sects, the other three sects have their own linage and would not call this Nanopa six accomplishment dharma. When Dr. Evans-Wentz translate it to the yoga of the six doctrines, thus the name six yoga.

Context, depends how far, how important it is for

Quote Originally Posted by Lance23 View Post
    i believe that the hand prints might sound better as seals.
    Within current arc, the original text being :
     看過岳山的遺卷後,他對這些羅漢有另一番更深入的看法,也開始有點明白不死印法中關於「印」 的意義。
      岳山曾引碧秀心對佛家手印的解釋。
      碧秀心指出手印「外則通宇宙,內則貫五臟六腑,奇經八脈」。
      只是區區三句話,已無限地擴闊徐子陵對手印的認識。
      以往他與人對敵時,自然而然會為發揮體內真氣而結合出各式各樣的手印,當時是只知其然而不知其所以然。 到得詳閱岳山遺卷,始知有所謂「身、口、意」三密秘修法。手印正是「身印」中最重要的一環。
      手印從小指往拇指數是「地、水、火、空、風」五大,右手為「慧」,左手為「定」。通過雙手十指與內外的 貫連為經,修練體內的「氣、脈、輪」為緯,進行「六部成就修行」,便是「換日大法」的精義。「日」指的是大 日如來,換日就是與大日如來互換之意,暗含即身成佛的深義。
    I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. 弗拉基米爾弗拉基米羅維奇納博科夫

A parallel example is speculative-news, say, sports. All the build-up to a game, then the final result.

It's kinda profligate to "discuss" a story while in the midst of it. Especially when there are people that know how the story will unfold, thus, mostly saying the right things, asking pertinent questions so as to prove how smart a guesser they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
    Haha... wuxia is fantasy after all. HY probably didn't want Ziling to find a secret martial arts manual for his power upgrade as that's been done before, but the combination of some philosophic discussions, a set of statues and his innate intelligence will achieve the same objective...

On another note, I'm not really connecting with either Qingxuan or Feixuan as characters. I feel they come across a bit too contemporary, even allowing for literary license. I'm certainly enjoying the story a great deal though. It's somewhat surprising why it isn't being discussed more (or at all) on the main forum. Surely the regulars must be sick to death of the same old subjects that come up again and again and again...
    Well, proof being, "the regulars" still reiterate their thanksgiving "again and again and again..."

People say in jin yong and gu long are 1 and 2 for novels. I have to say huang yi should be in the conversation too. Hes works that i have read is really good.

I took a look at 飘香剑雨 wr吕南人itten by gu long. And think its okay, using speak function on phone to read the text to me.

Its robotic sounding/ somewhat slow but Im learning how to read more characters using it. can set it to mandarin or cantonese.

And google translate is terrible. 吕南人 one of the characters name Lu nam ren mando lu nam yun cantonese becames lunam men lol

Thats when i use google chrome to translate all the text it turns into lunam men. Made me laugh right away if you didnt know the text would think its a guy lunams army/men

Thanks for the update foxs.

Im going off topic i believe that the hand prints might sound better as seals. ...
    If you survey the academic literature on Buddhism and Taoism, the term 「印」 is normally translated as Seal. Examples:

1. Fo Jia Yin Shou Tu Fa: Buddhism Illustrated Mudra (Hand Seal) Methods: https://www.amazon.com/Fo-Jia-Yin-Sh.../dp/1985236710

2. The Jade Emperor's Mind Seal Classic: https://www.amazon.com/Jade-Emperors.../dp/0892811358

3. Daoist Magical Incantations, Hand Seals and Star Stepping.: https://bookstore.qigongmedicine.com...-final-edition

On a similar vein, the art of seal carving goes back a long way. Seals were used for commercial, legal, artistic and religious purposes. Even in recent times, as in Taiwan, seals are used as company chops.

Incidentally, Kumarajiva (344-413 A.D.) was a historical person in Chinese Buddhism history. He came before Hsuan-tsang and rose to prominence as the foremost translator of some major Mahayanist Sutras. (http://www.buddhistdoor.com/OldWeb/b...ll/teach47.htm).

Briefly, it's a more challenging approach to study deeper into the Chinese language. The following clip is especially inspiring for me because 狄龍 pulls off quoting 2 proverbs/poems to emphasise his point :

It's like profound strike that I'd like to be able to deploy in the right situation/confrontation.

People say in jin yong and gu long are 1 and 2 for novels. I have to say huang yi should be in the conversation too. Hes works that i have read is really good.

I took a look at 飘香剑雨 wr吕南人itten by gu long. And think its okay, using speak function on phone to read the text to me.

Its robotic sounding/ somewhat slow but Im learning how to read more characters using it. can set it to mandarin or cantonese.

And google translate is terrible. 吕南人 one of the characters name Lu nam ren mando lu nam yun cantonese becames lunam men lol
    Recently, I've decided to write all names in Chinese text, a funny pinyin point, 隆 is long too.

this is so exciting. I wish he can create his own new style. Thanka foxs.

Quote Originally Posted by 徐中銳 View Post
    Briefly, it's a more challenging approach to study deeper into the Chinese language. The following clip is especially inspiring for me because 狄龍 pulls off quoting 2 proverbs/poems to emphasise his point :

It's like profound strike that I'd like to be able to deploy in the right situation/confrontation.

Recently, I've decided to write all names in Chinese text, a funny pinyin point, 隆 is long too.
    Yes, thats the problem with pinyin. Like feng can mean wind, phoenix, the character for peak as in mountain peak reaching peak lvl etc. foxs is using the correct pinyin but theres a few words with different meanigns woth the same pinyin.