Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: translation requests and questions

A question about the wuxiapedia translation of LOCH. At the end of chapter 12, it says "To be continued". Does this mean the chapter still has some stuff left? If so, is the translation anywhere in SPCnet?

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    A question about the wuxiapedia translation of LOCH. At the end of chapter 12, it says "To be continued". Does this mean the chapter still has some stuff left? If so, is the translation anywhere in SPCnet?
    LOCH is completed.

The unabridged thread of LOCH can be found in the forum sticky links.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

I wonder... Is anyone considering translating some of the Si da ming bu stories? I recall one Wen Rui'an project at Wuxiapedia, but it hasn't been updated for ages...
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

Default Introduction and new question

Hello Everyone,
    After browsing for quite some time, I've finally joined and I am thrilled to be here .

My name is Michelle. Currently I am in grad school pursuing a Master of Fine Arts degree (MFA) in Creative Writing. This semester I began writing my first wuxia english novel (equivalent of a thesis). I have been a fan of martial arts movies since I was eight years old and for me it was only natural that my first novel be about something that I love. Of course once I announced what I was writing about the silence in the room was deafening. I kept being asked the same questions over and over - I am not Chinese so how am I going to accomplish this impossible task and frankly why would I want to set myself up for such a fall? I was not surprised at this response so I took it in stride and in fact I even found it humorous. I know that there are numerous authors who have ventured to write something about the east and have been successful at it, just look at Lian Hearn author of Tales of the Otori and Albert Dalia author of Dream of the Dragon Pool. So I say, if they can do it why can't I? Well this project is a challenge for me, no doubt, but it is a fun and welcome one.

Oh dear, I seem to have blathered on. Well I'll just end with this question: does anyone know where I can get either an english translation of Jin Yong's story The Lovers' Sabres, which is also known as The Twin SabresDance of Two and The Blade-Lovers or even the original Chinese language story?

Thanks for your .
    Michelle

Heres the chinese vers:

http://qiqi.com/cgi-bin/bk.pl?fd1=bo...d=jy16001&id=1

I dont think theres a translation anywhere

I wish you the best of luck. You should post your story on spcnet once you finish writing it. I'm sure we would all love to read it and give feedback.

Default Thank you

Oh, I'm sorry I thought I was posting in the correct spot. I'll search harder next time.

loch2 - thanks so much for your quick reply and the link you provided. now i'll just have to find a translator or try to do it myself even though it will be a long, slow process.

tigergee2329 - thanks for your support. I will certainly keep in mind to post my story here as I welcome all types of feedback. So far I have only written chapter one but have not edited it and I have almost completed a draft of chapter 2.

Thanks again for all you help.

Michelle

Junior Member Auxiliary Alternative's Avatar

I was wondering if there's other sites like qiqi.com with Chinese texts. I'm trying my hand at some translating, but I suspect there are some missing things/errors in it. Thanks!

Junior Member Auxiliary Alternative's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by devilz91 View Post
    Thanks a bunch. Unfortunately, it didn't have that book I was looking for. It'll come in handy later though. Guess I'll make due with what I have for now.

Default Return of the Condor Heroes 3rd Edition translation

Hello. I liked the novel ROCH very much. I read the translation of the novel in English which I assumed based on the 2nd edition. I'm interested in reading the changes in the 3rd edition. I wonder if someone can translate the changes (not just summarize). Thanks.

Is there anyone else interested to have the changes in the 3rd edition translated or am I the only one? Also is there a 3rd edition of ROCH available on the internet?

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

i don't think there were any great changes. you might check out wuxiapedia for the changes. the whole novel is translated already.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Quote Originally Posted by kyss of the sword View Post
    i don't think there were any great changes. you might check out wuxiapedia for the changes. the whole novel is translated already.
    Yes. I also read the list of changes and the changes excerpts from Athena. But that only pique my curiousity even more. But I can't read Chinese. So I'm looking for either a translation or the soft copy of the 3rd edition in Chinese so that I can like cut and paste into Babelfish. Any lead would be apprciated.

Unfortunately, there is no online text of the third edition that I know of. I was thinking of updating the entire Trilogy, but it would be an undertaking as huge as the Ming Cult driving the Mongols away ... Besides, I don't think there is enough interest to warrant such project.

On the side note, I found Babelfish's result to be unreadable. If you have a rudimentary knowledge of Chinese, I would recommend mdbg.net. Not the translation engine (powered by Google, which I think is worse than Yahoo! Babelfish), but you will get character by character definition.

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    Unfortunately, there is no online text of the third edition that I know of. I was thinking of updating the entire Trilogy, but it would be an undertaking as huge as the Ming Cult driving the Mongols away ... Besides, I don't think there is enough interest to warrant such project.
    Than you for the reply and for your past translating effort. I certainly enjoyed your and other translators work. Also thank you for confirming that there is no online 3rd edition of ROCH available. I tried to search for the ROCH novel on Baidu, and found only the 2nd editions. No 1st or 3rd. Just 2nd editions.

As for updating, since there is already a list of what are the changes in the 3rd edition, can you just translate those changes that Athena haven't already? I'm surprise that there isn't more interests.

Also in the published ROCH translation, I think I found at one inaccuracy. In chapter 27 toward the end, where Xiao Longnu said: “Guo’er, this person has defiled me. Even if he recovers from his injuries, he still couldn’t fight you. But he… but he gave up his life to save me… so you must not give him any more trouble. Such is my brutal fate.”

I think this sentence should be: “Guo’er, this person has defiled me. Even if I recover from my injuries, I can't live my life with you. But he… but he gave up his life to save me… so you must not give him any more trouble. Such is my brutal fate.”

Thanks.

Let me explain: from a reader’s stand point, I am very interested in reading it. However, try to put your feet in the translator’s shoes: why would you want to spend considerable effort in doing it?

I want to clarify that there is no such thing as the ‘published’ work. At least not Jin Yong’s Condor Trilogy.

About the so-called ‘inaccuracy’, please remember that this work was a collaborative effort of many, many people, with diverse background, from diverse sources, with different comprehension level of either Chinese, English, or maybe both; and AFAIK, none of us is a professional translator. As such, errors are inevitable. Speaking for myself, I did not make a single mistake … I made hundreds of them.

Chapter 27 was not my work, but ROCH was my first attempt in translating from Chinese to English, and quite frankly, I know I could do better. Over the years, however, I feel that I get a better grasp of translating Chinese into English. Whether my feeling is true or not, it is for the readers to judge. Still, each time I re-read my own work, I would always find a thing or two that I feel would need ‘fixing’. Of course I can say the same about other people’s work. However, rather that sweating over this ‘inaccuracy’, I would remember those wonderful people whose work was the foundation on which I merely continued, and I would be grateful just the same.

Just an idea, why don’t you start translating? We need more translators here.

I would contribute if I could. Unfortunately I can't read Chinese characters. If there is a soft copy of the novel available then I can ultilize online dictionaries and/or translation software such as babelfish to understand some of it. Hard copies present such an impossible obstacle to me.

Then how did you find out about the 'inaccuracy'? I did not even bother to check the Chinese text, but it seems to me that you like the story so much that you even compare the existing translation to the original Chinese text. More reason for me to believe you'd make a good translator (from soft copy, that is). Just a warning: since I am assuming online text are scanned with OCR, they are prone to error.

Default What happen to wuxiapedia.com? wuxia translations?

I used to be pretty active loitering around the wuxia translation section here and wuxiapedia.com...lol

Nowadays....it seems so dead and wuxiapedia hasn't been updated since 2007.

What's going on?