Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: New Xi You Ji - Journey to the West (Zhang Ji Zhong 2009/2010 version)

If you notice the other girl in pink has uneven forehead color also, lol, poor makeup?

anyways, this can't be photoshopped right?

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://imgsrc.baidu.com/forum/mpic/item/6844b831a10a87915fdf0e62.jpg')

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge View Post
    It's true. ZJZ is praising her image as the most Guan Yin-like of all. More pics here.
    Also true because the article below the image contains LT's own words of dedication and appreciation for her role as GY.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photo.zing.vn/file_uploads/gallery/w642h/2010/05/07/03/93151273221072.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photo.zing.vn/file_uploads/gallery/w642h/2010/05/07/03/14951273221072.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photo.zing.vn/file_uploads/gallery/w642h/2010/05/07/03/77571273221071.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photo.zing.vn/file_uploads/gallery/w642h/2010/05/07/03/93201273221071.jpg')

YAY its true!!!.. i didnt really like the previous GY that much
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photo.zing.vn/file_uploads/gallery/w642h/2010/04/16/10/63111271432940.jpg')

http://slide.ent.sina.com.cn/slide_4_704_9102.html

According to that website and google translation, they will be finished filming on may 20 and because it requires lots of computer graphics, it will probably be air in 2011

referring to what someone said in page1 > well as for the walk like monkey or what. seriously i don't think much people will care for that, dicky doesn't walk like monkey too but many people still enjoy his series (the First) and as for the remake very bad or what etc etc... people will still watch it and if you guys watched before the Lotus Lantern 2005 version the one who act as sun wu kong, in my opinion he doesn't lose out to liu xiao ling tong

sorry for asking, but anyone know the most powerful antagonist/villain in journey to the west story is who ? i watched the tvb version which the most powerful i think is the six ear macaque but i know thats is tvb own version, in the real story who is the most powerful? or there is none can anyone tell me ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tianzun View Post
    sorry for asking, but anyone know the most powerful antagonist/villain in journey to the west story is who ? i watched the tvb version which the most powerful i think is the six ear macaque but i know thats is tvb own version, in the real story who is the most powerful? or there is none can anyone tell me ?
    I think in the novel, there's no opponent that is unbeatable because even they can make SWK got a hard time, eventually there will be a god or Arhats that would help him.

for example, the three tailed scorpion is defeated by a star god with rooster as his real form that is a natural enemy of scorpion.
    and the water bull demon could snatched SWK's rod with his diamond ring, and then Nezha and other god's weapon too. In the end the demon is captured by it's owner, Lord Lao Zi

and yeah, I think 6 eared macague is troublesome, because he can copy SWK exactly the way he is...and he's beaten by the Buddha too

so...there's is no such thing as the most strong enemy, because everyone has his/her weakness

I've watched the first 10 episodes of the non-ZJZ version so far, and I'm really enjoying it. I really like the actor playing Sun Wukong. He's great.

But I'm still looking forward to seeing the ZJZ version, too.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Zhang Jizhong's version of Journey to the West looks astonishing right now. The make-up, the choreography, and the special effects. I remember seeing one video a few days back where a commentator was asking ZJZ questions about directing the series, and he responded by saying that he spent so much time on the quality of this series that every episode literally looks like a movie. I saw a few clips of the series as well, and it does seem that ZJZ's version is faithful to the book. I guess he wasn't kidding when he said that his JTTW is going to be the most accurate in terms of storyline. I mean, I'm AMAZED by the effects, and the make-up done in this series. It looks so realistic! I just hope they don't add anything useless to the story like cliché love stories, or Sun Wukong befriending Nezha. Overall, I don't think ZJZ's version will be able to top the 1986 JTTW, but my guess is it'll mostly likely come in second at the very least.

Don't feel like going back to read the posts, I'm sure it's mentioned back there Can somebody tell me when this first started filming? It must have been years by now?

Everything looks real, however, I dislike the pig costume...it looks very fake in a spooky kind of way

Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    I've watched the first 10 episodes of the non-ZJZ version so far, and I'm really enjoying it. I really like the actor playing Sun Wukong. He's great.
    I've watch it till end
    And i'm very satisfied with it!
    Fei Yang (the actor who played as SWK) is great
    he is a naugty and bad mouthed Sun Wu Kong
    and the monk too! I love it when he starts to lecturing his disciples and the evil spirits as well

Just another behind the scene video I found on YouTube of ZJZ's JTTW. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma92PrHdlH8
    Just a question: does anyone know the name of the song starting at 3:32? 'Cause I hear it a lot on TV.

sorry to bump this up with out really contributing but just want to know if there is any recent news on this?
    i am really really anticipating this....

they need to separate the 2 version, I'm getting confuse now. I believe I just watch 09 version, it okay

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecakes34 View Post
    I just hope they don't add anything useless to the story like cliché love stories, or Sun Wukong befriending Nezha. Overall, I don't think ZJZ's version will be able to top the 1986 JTTW, but my guess is it'll mostly likely come in second at the very least.
    First of all, the 1986 version is the most overrated piece of crap ever. All of the characters were emotionless, unrelatable, and the editing was absolute garbage. It was also completely black-and-white, treating all of the demons as "evil" ... which is complete crap, and unless you're an 8-year child, I don't see how you could appreciate it.

The Zhejiang version is currently by FAR the best version ever released. The reason there are people who disagree and actually hate it is because this world is filled with immature idiots who want nothing more than mindless action/fighting with no real story, philosophy, emotion, or meaning.

For the rest of us ...

... the Zhejiang version is exactly what a DRAMA, especially an epic myth series, is supposed to be. All of the characters, including all of the gods and demons, are developed very well, have personalities and emotions (like real people, and not damn statues), and have relationships that actually develop over the course of the story. Pretty STANDARD stuff. It's called DRAMA. It's what a DRAMA series is supposed to have ... duh.

On top of that, and more importantly, the Zhejiang version delivers fulltime with the philosophy, incorporating deep meaning and Buddhist/Taoist teachings into every single storyline that they did. Even made them better than Wu Cheng En's original writing. In addition, every demon in the Zhejiang version had an actual reason or principle for acting the way they did. It wasn't just because they were "evil." That's incredibly retarded. For instance, the Red Boy brought pain to others because his parents the Bull Demon King and Princess Iron Fan were crap parents and did not raise him properly or give him the attention he needed. Therefore he turned to bringing pain to others as a way or coping. RELATABLE. The Spider Demons seduced and killed men because they believed it was their NATURE to do so. The Yellow-Browed Buddha captured Xuan Zang and the others because he had the misguided intention of completing the journey himself, so that he could take credit. And there are a million other examples of why the characters in the Zhejiang version are FAR superior. They're actually DEVELOPED. Wow. What a concept.

In the real world, people do "bad' things because they were wronged or screwed over by society. Not because they're just "evil." Puh. The 1986 version was a retarded, formulaic piece of crap in which every storyline was the same as the one before. Completely pointless.

These are the things that will determine whether or not Zhang Ji Zhong's version can match up. At this point, it's pretty much guaranteed to take second place at least, but only because every other version in the past (1986, HK, Japan, animated, etc.) has been utter nonsense made for 8-year old children. No one with any sort of wisdom or maturity wants to see 50 episodes of substance-less fighting scenes. LAME.

So as far as I'm concerned (and as far as anyone with any culture and refinement is concerned as well), it really doesn't matter how "flashy" Zhang Ji Zhong has made the action scenes. If that's what he thinks epic mythology is about, then he is going to fail hard. If his version doesn't deliver the kind of emotion/drama and philosophical wisdom that the Zhejiang version did this year, then guess what? FAIL.
    Last edited by PrinceKrillo; 10-26-10 at 02:57 PM.

HI PrinceKillo, when was the Zhejiang version released? I actually thought Zhang Ji Zhong's version is the Zhejiang version no?

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceKrillo View Post
    First of all, the 1986 version is the most overrated piece of crap ever. All of the characters were emotionless, unrelatable, and the editing was absolute garbage. It was also completely black-and-white, treating all of the demons as "evil" ... which is complete crap, and unless you're an 8-year child, I don't see how you could appreciate it.
    I have enjoyed the 80s version since first watching it nearly 20 years ago and still enjoy it to this day. Compared to today's standards and taste, it might not measure up, but it does have its own entertainment value and artistic merit. It also leaves a nostalgic feeling for fans like myself. Calling us elderly folks 8-year old children is a bit childish, don't you think?

Sad to say but I think it will be very hard to find an 8 year old today that would sit through the 80s show, because they are not used to the dated technology.

The Zhejiang version is currently by FAR the best version ever released. The reason there are people who disagree and actually hate it is because this world is filled with immature idiots who want nothing more than mindless action/fighting with no real story, philosophy, emotion, or meaning.
    I have watched the beginning of the Zhejiang version. I enjoy it, but I have more feelings for the 80s version (probably because of nostalgia). I am not sure I care for the way the monkeys are portrayed. They seemed to lack the innocence and naivete I would associate with monkeys found on a remote island. I thought the 80s Sun Wu Kong was more convincing when he first encounter humans. Zhejiang's Sun Wu Kong adapt a bit too fast for my taste. Also, the overuse of CGI makes everything look too bright and fuzzy. I like the grittiness of the past version a bit more.

For the rest of us ...

... the Zhejiang version is exactly what a DRAMA, especially an epic myth series, is supposed to be. All of the characters, including all of the gods and demons, are developed very well, have personalities and emotions (like real people, and not damn statues), and have relationships that actually develop over the course of the story. Pretty STANDARD stuff. It's called DRAMA. It's what a DRAMA series is supposed to have ... duh.

On top of that, and more importantly, the Zhejiang version delivers fulltime with the philosophy, incorporating deep meaning and Buddhist/Taoist teachings into every single storyline that they did. Even made them better than Wu Cheng En's original writing. In addition, every demon in the Zhejiang version had an actual reason or principle for acting the way they did. It wasn't just because they were "evil." That's incredibly retarded. For instance, the Red Boy brought pain to others because his parents the Bull Demon King and Princess Iron Fan were crap parents and did not raise him properly or give him the attention he needed. Therefore he turned to bringing pain to others as a way or coping. RELATABLE. The Spider Demons seduced and killed men because they believed it was their NATURE to do so. The Yellow-Browed Buddha captured Xuan Zang and the others because he had the misguided intention of completing the journey himself, so that he could take credit. And there are a million other examples of why the characters in the Zhejiang version are FAR superior. They're actually DEVELOPED. Wow. What a concept.
    I do agree that Zhejiang version has more character development. Interactions between many of the characters are very engaging. I also enjoy the fact that they incorporate a lot of the mythology behind most of the gods and demons. They did a very good job setting the background of each of the characters through action and dialogue (conversation between Nezha and Li Jing that mentioned Nezha's brother as a side note was very well placed in my opinion and the Jade emperor and Yang Jian's dysfunctional family situation was fun to hear about). It's nice that a show about Xi You Ji pays homage to other stories like Feng Shen Bang and Bao Lian Deng.

The downside of some of the character development is that sometimes directors and writers take too much liberties with the characters. For instance, the friendship between Nezha and Sun Wu Kong seems a bit too fanfiction (actually, it's also seems like a rip off from the Japanese anime Saiyuki).

In the real world, people do "bad' things because they were wronged or screwed over by society. Not because they're just "evil." Puh. The 1986 version was a retarded, formulaic piece of crap in which every storyline was the same as the one before. Completely pointless.
    I don't agree with this. Not everything in this world has to have a deep driving force. I truly believe that some people will do evil things just for the heck of being evil. And of course, 80's version did explain that most of the demons try to harm XuanZang because consuming him would lead to heightened power, extended life, and possible godhood. This is reasonable motivation, I think. Afterall, they are called demons for a reason.

However, I do want to point out that the 80s version is not as repetitive as you make it out to be. Many of the "evil" guys do have different motivations and stories are very different. They don't always fight demons. Sometimes they face off Kings who are foolish and heaven beings who are too prideful.

The number one complaint I have with the 80s version is that XuanZang is just too pathetic. I cannot respect him in anyway and often wish Sun Wu Kong would accidentally slip up and the monk gets eaten. Sadly, even when XuanZang is killed, he didn't stay dead.

I have not seen much of the XuanZang in Zhejiang's version, but from what I have seen of Victor Chen's XuanZang, I know he's at least 10 times better than the 80's XuanZang.

These are the things that will determine whether or not Zhang Ji Zhong's version can match up. At this point, it's pretty much guaranteed to take second place at least, but only because every other version in the past (1986, HK, Japan, animated, etc.) has been utter nonsense made for 8-year old children. No one with any sort of wisdom or maturity wants to see 50 episodes of substance-less fighting scenes. LAME.

So as far as I'm concerned (and as far as anyone with any culture and refinement is concerned as well), it really doesn't matter how "flashy" Zhang Ji Zhong has made the action scenes. If that's what he thinks epic mythology is about, then he is going to fail hard. If his version doesn't deliver the kind of emotion/drama and philosophical wisdom that the Zhejiang version did this year, then guess what? FAIL.
    Don't be too fast to judge. ZJZ may surprise you. Though with his work, people tend to really like it or really hate it. It's hard to find neutral people (maybe because his shows has too much marketing and publicity prior to completion). I will definitely finish ZheJiang's version and then will watch ZJZ version when it comes out. However, I think the 80's version will probably always be close to my heart (even if people accuse me of being an idiotic 8 year old who lacks wisdom and maturity).
    Last edited by MysticDust; 10-26-10 at 11:59 PM.
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    HI PrinceKillo, when was the Zhejiang version released? I actually thought Zhang Ji Zhong's version is the Zhejiang version no?
    No, the Zhejiang version stars Fei Zhen Xiang as Sun Wu Kong, Victor Chen as Xuan Zang, and Xie Ning as the pig. This series is actually Xie Ning's fourth time (at least) playing the character, counting Bao Lian Deng, BLD Qian Zhuan, and Mo Huan Shou Ji. It was released in February of this year ... the easiest place to watch all of the episodes would probably be YouTube, the entire 52-ep series was uploaded onto the site several months ago.

Zhang Ji Zhong's is slated for release next year. It stars Wu Yue as Sun Wu Kong and Elvis Tsui as Juan Lian (Sha Seng). It is supposedly 50-episodes, two less than the Zhejiang version ... but apparently covers all of the storylines in the novel, whereas the Zhejiang version only selected the interesting, unique ones. What that means is, there will no doubt be much less story/character development in the ZJZ version.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticDust View Post
    I have watched the beginning of the Zhejiang version. I enjoy it, but I have more feelings for the 80s version (probably because of nostalgia). I am not sure I care for the way the monkeys are portrayed. They seemed to lack the innocence and naivete I would associate with monkeys found on a remote island. I thought the 80s Sun Wu Kong was more convincing when he first encounter humans. Zhejiang's Sun Wu Kong adapt a bit too fast for my taste. Also, the overuse of CGI makes everything look too bright and fuzzy. I like the grittiness of the past version a bit more.

I do agree that Zhejiang version has more character development. Interactions between many of the characters are very engaging. I also enjoy the fact that they incorporate a lot of the mythology behind most of the gods and demons. They did a very good job setting the background of each of the characters through action and dialogue (conversation between Nezha and Li Jing that mentioned Nezha's brother as a side note was very well placed in my opinion and the Jade emperor and Yang Jian's dysfunctional family situation was fun to hear about). It's nice that a show about Xi You Ji pays homage to other stories like Feng Shen Bang and Bao Lian Deng.
    It's clear from your comments that you haven't actually watched the series past the first ten episodes, everything BEFORE the actual "journey" part of the story begins. Well the fact is, that whole portion of the series is more like a prologue (and a pretty boring one), it basically drags on. It's actually by far the weakest part of the series. In fact, I was not too enthusiastic about the series until Xuan Zang was actually introduced and the episodic storylines began. THAT is when the series starts to show why it's the top dog. In the Zhejiang version, you'll find that the characters that are introduced along the way are FAR superior to any of the ones in the early episodes, and in some cases are developed even better than the core characters and portrayed by better actors. However, as was discussed in another thread, the consensus is pretty much that all of the best storylines are in the second half of the series. But then again, this is true for most Chinese dramas that I have watched. The episodes tend to get better and better as you watch, starting off bland and ending superb, not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticDust View Post
    I don't agree with this. Not everything in this world has to have a deep driving force. I truly believe that some people will do evil things just for the heck of being evil. And of course, 80's version did explain that most of the demons try to harm XuanZang because consuming him would lead to heightened power, extended life, and possible godhood. This is reasonable motivation, I think. Afterall, they are called demons for a reason.
    Don't really wanna get too deep or philosophical here, but I guess I'll have to digress in order to address this comment.

Firstly, it needs to be stated that in the real world, "evil" (like everything else) is nothing more than a relative term. A person who steals or murders is only "evil" because society's laws say so. For instance, is it evil that animals kill each other in order to survive? By that logic, everyone is evil for killing and eating meat. It's all relative and a matter of perspective.

Secondly, I must absolutely reiterate my point that no one is born "evil." Even someone who is a sociopath and does things for seemingly no reason is that way because of some event(s) in their life that screwed them up and made them that way. Maybe they were abused as children, maybe they had no friends, I don't know. Labeling demons as "evil" simply because they are demons may be fine for a Saturday morning cartoon show, but this is epic Chinese mythology. That kind of logic is simply too one-dimensional and just plain stupid. Not acceptable.

Finally, let me once again (as I did in another thread) use Bao Lian Deng Qian Zhuan as an example. One of the MANY reasons why BLD QZ stands as my favorite Chinese series to date is how it portrays the world. GRAY, as it is, and not black-and-white. In BLD QZ, many of the demons are portrayed as honorable and have integrity, whereas many of the gods are actually portrayed as petty, deceitful, and conniving. Genius. In fact, the main antagonist in the series is not some demon, but is actually the unjust Law of Heaven, and the gods at the top of the pantheon that support and enforce it (BLD QZ is also very political that way). Flip-flopping the lame "standards" by showing that you judge someone based on the individual, not by whether they are a god or a demon or whatever. The Zhejiang version pretty much does the same thing.

All of this is the kind of philosophy that the Zhejiang version throws at you, which I can definitely appreciate. Although the first ten episodes do drag on and are actually pretty badly produced. Those that actually have the discipline and the patience to get "over the hump" are treated to something far, far superior in the 40+ episodes that follow, especially the second half of the series.

The Zhejiang version is actually very comparable to BLD QZ in terms of its smart writing, philosophy, and emotion. All future myth series should be produced as such.

People need to understand that these epic stories are part of 5000 years of ancestral (if you're Chinese, that is) history and folklore. They also go hand-in-hand with the deep philosophical teachings of Taoism. What they are NOT is bland, stupid stories for children. The last thing that is needed is more dramas like that.
    Last edited by PrinceKrillo; 10-29-10 at 02:45 AM.

I'm not sure if this has already been posted, apparently it was published back in May.

So, you may have already seen these stills.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://d.imagehost.org/0159/jttw1.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://d.imagehost.org/0438/704_84895_193217.jpg')

For more stills of Wukong as the Bi Ma Wen.

http://slide.ent.sina.com.cn/slide_4_704_10268.html

I saw the costumes and makeup on the demons in one of the slideshows linked here, looks so good, realistic.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://b.imagehost.org/0096/baishujingstuntperson.jpg')

He's the stuntsman for the Rat Demoness. So, I guess we won't be seeing He Zhuoyan doing her own stunts or at least most of her stunts will be done by this guy.