Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: URGENT! PLEASE HELP ME!

Exclamation URGENT! PLEASE HELP ME!

okay, so i've been persuaded to go shopping tomorrow morning. my friend offered to buy me a digital slr camera from best buy if i go. but it has to be under $800. ^_^

so pleaseeeeee help me choose! which do you guys recommend? sony, nikon, canon?

Sony is for brandsake only, it can't do much if you're seriously going to explore the SLR functions. Nikon and Canon are on par. But as a user who have "played" with both cameras, I'd suggest you go for Canon. More selection on focus points and it does great for portrait shooting (provided you get the right lens which is not difficult). Could you top on alittle more on your own? You don't need to get the latest range because there's little enhancement only. Get Canon!

Are you going for the semi-pro range of dSLR? It shouldn't cost much from my knowledge.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 11-26-09 at 10:50 PM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Nikon is a good brand for cameras, followed by Canon.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Nikon is a good brand for cameras, followed by Canon.
    Not quite. After my experience with Nikon D40 which barely serves its function as dSLR, I understand that it doesn't seem to be the case. Not as user-friendly too when you're meddling with the menu stuff. I am now using Canon 400d which is about the same age (or maybe older) than Nikon D40 but it nicely serves its function as dSLR. Not to mention, D40's shutter speed is disappointingly slow.

The other thing to consider is the lens. Canon goes well with most 3rd party lenses whereas Nikon doesn't (from my previous experience).

All in all, only selective models of Nikon are good and the good one are those you really need to spend alot on.

Gugu, are you doing some sort of beginner photography?
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 11-26-09 at 11:09 PM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

so it's between nikon and canon.

ceddie, how does this one look?
    Canon - EOS Digital Rebel XS 10.1-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera - Black $569.99
    or
    Canon - EOS Digital Rebel XSi 12.2-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera with Lens - Black $699.99
    or
    Canon - EOS Digital Rebel T1i 15.1-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera - Black $799.99

or by SS's recommedations...
    Nikon - 10.2-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera - Black $549.99
    or
    Nikon - 12.3-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera - Black $799.99

and is nikon cheaper than canon?

Gugu, beginner photography?

EOS Digital Rebel XSi 12.2-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera with Lens also known as EOS Digital Rebel XSi 450D, slightly advanced version of my 400D but strangely it is not a semi-pro dSLR. O_O

To distinct semi-pro/pro or not, judge from the memory card. Semi-pro or pro uses compact flash memory card as far as Canon is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Gugu, beginner photography?

EOS Digital Rebel XSi 12.2-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera with Lens also known as EOS Digital Rebel XSi 450D, slightly advanced version of my 400D but strangely it is not a semi-pro dSLR. O_O

To distinct semi-pro/pro or not, judge from the memory card. Semi-pro or pro uses compact flash memory card as far as Canon is concerned.
    YES! VERY BEGINNER! so stop teasing me and just tell me the best canon to buy which is under 800 bucks! i'm not forking anything over what my friend is paying!

please help me ceddie, i'm doing this for my yunjae. i need to learn to take good pics for when i go to korea and stalk them for a month.

LOL Gugu! OMG! Ok, I understand your love for Yunjae.

After much comparism, I'd recommend this: Canon - EOS Digital Rebel XSi 12.2-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera with Lens - Black $699.99

It has 9 focal point just like my current dSLR with addtion of a few enhancement.

The reason that I do not recommend the 3rd model under Canon is because of the complexity of the camera and it does not come with lens. Original Canon lens can be very costly, I think it is because of the image stabilizer whereas the 3rd party lenses may not come with that feature.

I suspect this is D40 or D40x >>> Nikon - 10.2-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera - Black $549.99, which is a big NO.

I have not much of knowledge on this: Nikon - 12.3-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera , so I can't advise.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 11-27-09 at 12:06 AM. Reason: grammarrrrr

^ that's what another friend of mine told me to get! so i'm set on getting the canon rebel xsi for $699.99!

btw.. you should post up some of your works here for us to look at. well, i want to see it.

Well Nikon, I think is more for people who's professional or knows what they're doing with the camera.

Canon is user-friendly for even BEGINNERS like you GG.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    ^ that's what another friend of mine told me to get! so i'm set on getting the canon rebel xsi for $699.99!
    Yeah, go for it and give yourself some time to explore the functions, get familiarized with it so that you'll know when and how to get the best exposures (of the pictures) when you meet/stalk your Yunjae!

btw.. you should post up some of your works here for us to look at. well, i want to see it.
    Ok, I will do that after my exam, as requested by Sparky too!

Hey, I fell in love with Sparky's pictures, taken in London. The colours are intensely captured which is excellent! It brings the pictures to live. Check out her album!

thanks ceddie, dearest. ^_^

you should post up your photos too SS, i want to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Well Nikon, I think is more for people who's professional or knows what they're doing with the camera.
    Hmmm, actually, the models of both dSLR brands do range from beginner-use to semi-pro to pro.

The Nikon D40 I had was quite a standard camera supposedly for beginner. Unfortunately, the standard appear to do less than that.

Canon is user-friendly for even BEGINNERS like you GG.
    I know a good number of pros using the advanced range of Canon.

Maybe it's the individual who managed to get used to the function of the individual brands and whether they enjoy the complexity or not. Some just get annoyed with the unnecessary complexity.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 11-27-09 at 12:46 AM.

It's a difficult decision between Canon and Nikon. I am not aware about the prices in US, but if within the budget I would consider the Nikon D90 model. I use the Nikon D90 with a 18-200 lens. Is a very good all-purpose lens and I use it for family photos, indoor and landscape photography.

In good lighting condition both cameras are capable of producing excellent images. Canon cameras focus faster compared to Nikon. On the other hand, Nikon cameras produce better images in low light conditions - i.e. indoor photos without flash; high ISO settings.

Another thing to consider, maybe later is the external flash. Many cameras do have a pop-up flash, but this may not be sufficient in some more demanding situations. In this aspect, I think Nikon is much superior to Canon.

Good luck with your purchase.

^I haven't got my hands on Nikon D90 due to the past disappointments I had with Nikon dSLR apart from D40. Thanks for the information!

However, I think in Gugu's case, her case will require focus and shutter speed, which is what Canon is capable of (due to movement). As for the rest of the other features that you have mentioned, Canon wouldn't be much far inferior when comes in comparism. It can satifactorily do not a bad job too. You might have noticed a good number of photographer doing shots for models, bridal and anything that concerns movement prefers Canon.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 11-27-09 at 01:16 AM.

ceddie, i think i'm going to change my mind and get the canon eos 500D it's on sale for 699.99 at best buy. is that a good camera? i was youtubing and it looks so cool!

The shutter is 0.2 frames slower than 450D but it has a higher ISO supposedly to compensate that feature. I'm just glad that it also has 9 Auto focal point so you won't missed your subject easily. Go for it, and make sure the package also comes with the original lens.

Don't forget to get spare battery if the package doesn't come with it. If it doesn't, grab the spare with the package and bargain for a better price!

Gugu, before you finalise which to purchase, between 450D and 500D, ask for both models and test on the shutter speed. You know how to test the shutter speed? Because you don't want to get a model where you're excitedly going to shoot Yunjae and the camera takes a long time to charge before you could do the next snap.

P/s: Darn! I wish someone could finance me so that I could upgrade my camera! =(
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 11-27-09 at 05:12 AM.

but the 500d is a 15 megapixel while the 450d is only 12.

isn't it better with more megapixel? i'm comfused even before buying. i'm leaving my house in an hour so please answer me.

but the 500d is a 15 megapixel while the 450d is only 12.

isn't it better with more megapixel? i'm comfused even before buying. i'm leaving my house in an hour so please answer me.
    No, you don't need more than pixels. There'll always be a camera with more pixels than the others but the other functions actually comes more important when you are hands-on the camera. Shutter speed being one of them while the other functions especially when you're in a movement. 450D has good shutter speed and the other features seems reasonably good. For dSLR, the pixels is not the priority. I'm not so confident with 500D because it has slower shutter speed, and it may be slower than the estimateed 0.2 frames but the higher ISO is an attractive feature. Ask for both and test! 450D would definitely be faster in speed capture but if 500D isn't too far apart, go for 500D then.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 11-27-09 at 05:32 AM.