Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: remorse and leniency

I think this guy is very mentally unsound. He need psychiatric help. The brain works in a strange way. It's obvious this guy's brain is not normal.

I don't know how his upbringing is. But, he seem lacking of moral. I mean, even if someone has the urge to hurt/kill in a moment of anger, his conscience and moral value will stop him.

I'm for the second chance if he's really remorseful. But, make sure he gets lots of psychiatric help and need a good thorough evaluation before letting him out to society.

If he's really remorseful, the guilt will already haunt him for live.
    Last edited by kidd; 06-19-09 at 12:52 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Is he really remorse for what he did, or is he 'remorseful' from fear of punishment?

I notice how people always only get 'remorseful' when in the face of pending punishment.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 06-19-09 at 03:17 AM.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Is he really remorse for what he did, or is he 'remorseful' from fear of punishment?

I notice how people always only get 'remorseful' when in the face of pending punishment.
    If that can help reducing their sentence, why not?
    There are lot of cases that they commit the same type of crime again shortly after released. That is why I like the justice system of your country "Singapore" where "No Mercy" is given to anyone. Everyone gets the same punishment for the same type of crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post
    i'm sorry but i don't condone killing, espeically if its a non-murder crime. it goes against all codes of morality.

"Thou shall not kill"

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"
    As long as we agree to disagree.......

This reminds me of those Taiwanese artists who have been caught taking drugs in recent years. They all behaved the same way - held a press conference, cried and said sorry. Some even took drug again, got caught again, cried and said sorry in public one more time. How many of them truly feel sorry? It doesn't seem real anymore.

replied to wrong thread
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

That is really true. I think most of these criminals, when they commit these crimes don't think about the consequences. BUT when they realize that they will have to pay with their life or life in prison or some other punishment, that is when they start to get "remorseful". However, is it remorseful for the crime itself OR is it remorse due to fear of punishment?? I guess we can't really tell...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by BearBearNweather View Post
    This reminds me of those Taiwanese artists who have been caught taking drugs in recent years. They all behaved the same way - held a press conference, cried and said sorry. Some even took drug again, got caught again, cried and said sorry in public one more time. How many of them truly feel sorry? It doesn't seem real anymore.
    Yea, that is so true isn't it? But which Taiwanese artists did that? I guess I missed the news. I think they got away with things since they are a celebrity. I heard that if you deal drugs in Taiwan, you will get the death penalty. Not sure about what punishment they are supposed to get if they use illegal drugs though.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

We're talking about cold blooded murder here, right? No. No leniency should be shown for his remorse.

what's next? we KILL everyone who commits a crime to promote a crime-free paradise?

Jay-walking? DEATH PENALTY.

Chewing gum in public? DEATH PENALTY.

Swearing? DEATH PENALTY.

Speeding? DEATH PENALTY.

Parking Ticket? DEATH PENALTY.
    Last edited by Ghaleon; 06-19-09 at 04:06 PM.

Ghaleon… what are you having a weekend drinking binge early? What are you talking about.

It’s like people who say what’s next after gay marriage and name beastiality and incest.

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    Ghaleon… what are you having a weekend drinking binge early? What are you talking about.

It’s like people who say what’s next after gay marriage and name beastiality and incest.
    seriously. i'm so fed up with jaywalkers... kill 'em all !!!!!!!!

jiang bao: That may have been a hyperbole on Ghaleon's part, but he's got a point.
    I (like most others, I suppose) really feel there are crimes too heinous and that there are people who should be removed from the society *for good*.
    But drawing the line poses a huge problem for me.
    I'll much rather sacrifice some of my money to feed murderers in jails than be a member of the crowd in the name of whose benefit and safety people are fried/shot/decapitated/whatever. If anything, I'd make them work. Hard. But no killing.
    I just can't bring myself to drawing a line at one point or another of the EVIL<-->GOOD continuum - and condemn all those on one side of the line to death.
    I'd be severe. But I'm against death penalty.

Trien Chieu: You so totally sound like a Mercykiller that it's not even funny anymore...:-)
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post
    what's next? we KILL everyone who commits a crime to promote a crime-free paradise?

Jay-walking? DEATH PENALTY.

Chewing gum in public? DEATH PENALTY.

Swearing? DEATH PENALTY.

Speeding? DEATH PENALTY.

Parking Ticket? DEATH PENALTY.
    Hmmm...sounds like Singapore.

KIDDING, Singaporeans!

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare View Post
    jiang bao: That may have been a hyperbole on Ghaleon's part, but he's got a point.
    I (like most others, I suppose) really feel there are crimes too heinous and that there are people who should be removed from the society *for good*.
    But drawing the line poses a huge problem for me.
    I'll much rather sacrifice some of my money to feed murderers in jails than be a member of the crowd in the name of whose benefit and safety people are fried/shot/decapitated/whatever. If anything, I'd make them work. Hard. But no killing.
    I just can't bring myself to drawing a line at one point or another of the EVIL<-->GOOD continuum - and condemn all those on one side of the line to death.
    I'd be severe. But I'm against death penalty.

Trien Chieu: You so totally sound like a Mercykiller that it's not even funny anymore...:-)
    I don't agree with TC saying drug dealers and other non-violent criminals should be eligible for capital punishment, but my point is that there are some crimes that should be punishable by death - the extreme ones where someone's life was taken or destroyed. Why keep a killer alive? There is no point. It's a waste of resources, resources that can be used for more pressing areas in society. Someone has to stand up for the victim. The state is supposed to be that entity.

Something's seriously messed up when it takes 25 yrs to execute someone on death row, and then by the time you do it, the guy's old and fragile and you actually feel bad for him. It feels like he's being killed for no reason at that point since his crime is long forgotten in the public's eye.

Something's seriously messed up when it takes 25 yrs to execute someone on death row, and then by the time you do it, the guy's old and fragile and you actually feel bad for him. It feels like he's being killed for no reason at that point since his crime is long forgotten in the public's eye.
    That's the point, really. People change. 25 yrs later the guy probably regrets all the bad stuff he's done. When we execute someone we're not giving them a chance to change.

I don't agree with TC saying drug dealers and other non-violent criminals should be eligible for capital punishment, but my point is that there are some crimes that should be punishable by death - the extreme ones where someone's life was taken or destroyed. Why keep a killer alive? There is no point. It's a waste of resources, resources that can be used for more pressing areas in society. Someone has to stand up for the victim. The state is supposed to be that entity.

Keep in mind that TC thinks that people who commit adultery should be killed as well just like in those wuxia series back in the days....I agree that drug dealers and other non violent criminals should not be put on death row. They did not kill anyone or take anyone's life. People are executed in other countries for dealing drugs though.

Totally agree and I wonder why it takes so long to execute someone on death row?? I remember they once executed this really really old man that was going to die anyways. Why didn't they just let him die peacefully?? But sadly, they executed him anyways... I just don't understand our justice system sometimes.
    Last edited by Trinie; 06-19-09 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Agree with you except for the beheading part. I am all for capital punishment such as Hanging, Shooting Squad, Electric Chair, Lethal Injection, ect... but not Beheading. Modern society should not practice it, it belongs to the ancient time.
    What's the difference? The guy still dies. I heard electric chair is a pretty painful way to die too. Your internal organs all got fried and you die. Shooting squad. You have dozens of bullet shooting at you. Got to be painful too.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

The problem with the Death Penalty and, to a degree, the justice system is that in most cases, the murder/extreme crime did occur, but in some rare cases, an innocent man is prosecuted when they never committed said crime in the first case.

This is also why I don't judge Defense Lawyers. I don't care if they have to defend a cold-blooded killer because I know, I'd rather let a 100 guilty people go free rather than see 1 innocent person go behind bars for something they didn't do.

So with that in mind, I don't support the Death Penalty.

jiang bao: There's a good deal of people who live unconstructive, exploitative, parasitic lives - aren't they a waste of resources? But since they don't kill, hardly anyone (except a few extremists here and there) would wish a death sentence upon their heads.
    Standing up for the victim sounds nice and noble... But in the end it all boils down to eye for eye, tooth for tooth, death for death. It doesn't make society better, it doesn't even help to make the streets and alleys safer. It just satiates some of that atavistic bloodlust that comes with righteous rage. (And don't think I don't know the feeling... I know it pretty well...) It's institutionalized revenge. Revenge looks romantic on screen and paper, but in real life - with all its complexities - revenge stinks. It's a primitive, destructive drive that should be abandoned once we develop a more sophisticated justice system that takes over its place.
    Anyway - that's how I feel it.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里