Page 42 of 99 FirstFirst ... 32333435363738394041424344454647484950515292 ... LastLast

Thread: TVB Released VCD/DVD Questions

My friend told me that The Justice of Life DVD is in packaging stage. Anyone gonna spend $$$$$ on this dvd set?
    Last edited by wargods; 07-18-07 at 12:44 AM.

I am sure somebody saw this at Yesasia, but anyway....

The Edge Of Righteousness (DVD) (Part I) (1993)
    http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1004785337/

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    I just finished watching Triumph in the Skies. Believe it or not, it's the first time I've seen it. I enjoyed it a lot. Not ur typical series where there is a bad guy and good guy. The training scenes were really enjoyable.

About the DVD set, the picture looked damn good as expected from a newer series. Audio was on par with most of the other stuff. I expected to see a behind the scenes special or something, but didn't happen. Still worth a purchase for any TVB fan.
    I've been reading ALL the posts in this thread. Took time, but it's worth it
    So you get Triumph Hk version as usual? I remembered you said there's a difference between Taiseng Tvb version v.s. TVBI version, is there a big difference for this series?

Quote Originally Posted by godiva View Post
    I've been reading ALL the posts in this thread. Took time, but it's worth it
    So you get Triumph Hk version as usual? I remembered you said there's a difference between Taiseng Tvb version v.s. TVBI version, is there a big difference for this series?
    Yeah I got the HK version. There isn't a big difference between TaiSeng and HK versions in terms of DVD quality. The only differences are the minor differences for the boxart that kind of bugs me.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Yeah I got the HK version. There isn't a big difference between TaiSeng and HK versions in terms of DVD quality. The only differences are the minor differences for the boxart that kind of bugs me.
    How is the box different? I think I bought the taiseng version with 2 discs on one slot. Kinda piss me off when I realize they sell limited edition on Yesasia after I pre-ordered it
    By the way, does anyone know if the limited edition still available in chinatown or other countries?
    http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept...id-1004662517/

Quote Originally Posted by godiva View Post
    How is the box different? I think I bought the taiseng version with 2 discs on one slot. Kinda piss me off when I realize they sell limited edition on Yesasia after I pre-ordered it
    By the way, does anyone know if the limited edition still available in chinatown or other countries?
    http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept...id-1004662517/
    The box from the HK editions are of higher quality and can be regarded as a collector's item from the way it's made but the Tai Seng editions are just cheap cases that are plastic with the discs overflapping each other. However, if you are on a budget or just care about the quality of the discs, then the Tai Seng editions are not bad as they're much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Lee View Post
    The box from the HK editions are of higher quality and can be regarded as a collector's item from the way it's made but the Tai Seng editions are just cheap cases that are plastic with the discs overflapping each other. However, if you are on a budget or just care about the quality of the discs, then the Tai Seng editions are not bad as they're much cheaper.

Generally the "Regular" shows are like 99% the same. The outer box is the same, but the thing that bugs me is that TaiSeng puts "Disk 1-5" on the spine in english. They use some cheap font and it looks bootleggy. HK versions use chinese.

The big difference is Tai Seng Jin Yong series and HK Jin Yong Series. HK sets are MUCH nicer. They don't use the 2 disk overflapping. TaiSeng uses the regular boxes they use for the "Regular" sets with the overflapping while HK uses a totally different design.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by wargods View Post
    My friend told me that The Justice of Life DVD is in packaging stage. Anyone gonna spend $$$$$ on this dvd set?
    I will get it for sure. I heard the VCD version was cut bad, so I think it will be worth the money. Keep rolling out the classics.

For those of you who live in HK or have purchased VCDs and DVDs in HK -

how much cheaper are the prices over there compared to Yes Asia?

Quote Originally Posted by bobbywu View Post
    For those of you who live in HK or have purchased VCDs and DVDs in HK -

how much cheaper are the prices over there compared to Yes Asia?
    Check the TVB website and the prices they have there are "generally" what they charge in some HK stores.

Quote Originally Posted by wargods View Post
    I am sure somebody saw this at Yesasia, but anyway....

The Edge Of Righteousness (DVD) (Part I) (1993)
    http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1004785337/
    It seems like the most random releases of these DVDs are those from the 1990s. With the 80s Jin Yong classics out of the way all remastered and re-released (probably as requested from the original petition to release them on DVD), they seem to be going through all the newer series (2000+) getting them out one by one which leaves the 1990s left to be released randomly. By random, my guess is they are going through the 'forgotten' series rather than the 90s classics. Seriously, I've been checking Yesasia and Sensasian and there were some 1990s series which I have totally forgotten or never seen. Yeah and 'The Edge of Righteousness' is one of them....

Quote Originally Posted by Maz999 View Post
    It seems like the most random releases of these DVDs are those from the 1990s. With the 80s Jin Yong classics out of the way all remastered and re-released (probably as requested from the original petition to release them on DVD), they seem to be going through all the newer series (2000+) getting them out one by one which leaves the 1990s left to be released randomly. By random, my guess is they are going through the 'forgotten' series rather than the 90s classics. Seriously, I've been checking Yesasia and Sensasian and there were some 1990s series which I have totally forgotten or never seen. Yeah and 'The Edge of Righteousness' is one of them....
    WOW I so agree. I hope they are not done with Jin Yong. I still need Flying Fox on Snowy Mountain. Yeah it seems like they intend to get the 2000+ out which is retarded. The boss from the store I go to say that those are hard to sell. He was pissed to hear that War and Beauty was released AGAIN because most of the ppl got their DVD set during the hype a few years back. The 90s ones are so random. How about more 80s and 90s classics.

WOW I so agree. I hope they are not done with Jin Yong. I still need Flying Fox on Snowy Mountain. Yeah it seems like they intend to get the 2000+ out which is retarded. The boss from the store I go to say that those are hard to sell. He was pissed to hear that War and Beauty was released AGAIN because most of the ppl got their DVD set during the hype a few years back. The 90s ones are so random. How about more 80s and 90s classics.
    FFOSN85 was excellent and I won't be surprised to see that and Smiling Proud Wanderer 84 (starring Chow Yun-fat) released as a sort of completion of the Jin Yong series, although they weren't as 'classic' as the ones already released on DVD. As I've got all the 5 Jin Yong big classics of the 80s, Im pretty much satisfied with what I've got now but yeah... they might as well get those remastered too.

Hmm... could it be that the series from 2000+ are more easier to 'produce' on DVD technically or maybe more accessible than the older series which is why all the newer stuff are out one after the other? I don't know, guess they are releasing the new stuff asap before the popularity of those series drop... Personally, I like Wuxia series so I would like to see the 90s 'so-called forgotten wuxia series' released and the 70s deserve some attention too.

Quote Originally Posted by Maz999 View Post
    FFOSN85 was excellent and I won't be surprised to see that and Smiling Proud Wanderer 84 (starring Chow Yun-fat) released as a sort of completion of the Jin Yong series, although they weren't as 'classic' as the ones already released on DVD. As I've got all the 5 Jin Yong big classics of the 80s, Im pretty much satisfied with what I've got now but yeah... they might as well get those remastered too.

Hmm... could it be that the series from 2000+ are more easier to 'produce' on DVD technically or maybe more accessible than the older series which is why all the newer stuff are out one after the other? I don't know, guess they are releasing the new stuff asap before the popularity of those series drop... Personally, I like Wuxia series so I would like to see the 90s 'so-called forgotten wuxia series' released and the 70s deserve some attention too.
    Yeah I have all Jin Yong classics on DVD right now. I'm only pissed off at the audio for LOCH82, but everything else is great. I haven't seen those shows that clear b4. Ken said he saw orange juice box in LOCH82

2000+ is definitely much more easier to produce. They don't have to spend time to clean up the image. Heart of Greed looks AMAZING! I love Wuxia too, but I thought 80s was the best for Wuxia. SOD96 was good though. Watching Against the Blade of Honour right now and it aint that great. Louis Koo doesn't come across as a "Dai Hup" to me.

I wish some 70s stuff got some releases, but I doubt it. They are way too long. Just imagine how much shows like "Kwong Chiu" and "Keung Yan" would cost if they use the current price strategy which is based on how many disks are in per set.

Yeah I have all Jin Yong classics on DVD right now. I'm only pissed off at the audio for LOCH82, but everything else is great. I haven't seen those shows that clear b4. Ken said he saw orange juice box in LOCH82
    This must be my 3rd time rewatching LOCH83 and I don't mind the pacing and cheap sets/props BUT if anything, it was the audio which puts me to sleep. But all is good since this is a classic.

While I remember, I might as well share this here if nobody knows. If you have the HK Modern Media version, you might find a 'secret' menu on the last disk. On the DVD menu, press 'up' button on your remote control and you would go to the special soundtrack/OST menu with all the LOCH songs. Took me ages to figure that out for some reason.

2000+ is definitely much more easier to produce. They don't have to spend time to clean up the image. Heart of Greed looks AMAZING! I love Wuxia too, but I thought 80s was the best for Wuxia. SOD96 was good though. Watching Against the Blade of Honour right now and it aint that great. Louis Koo doesn't come across as a "Dai Hup" to me.
    Coincidently, Im patiently re-watching 'ATBOH' too. I thought it was decent when I saw it for the first time 10 years ago so thought I might as well add the DVD to my 'mini-collection'. On the last disk but getting hella boring.

I wish some 70s stuff got some releases, but I doubt it. They are way too long. Just imagine how much shows like "Kwong Chiu" and "Keung Yan" would cost if they use the current price strategy which is based on how many disks are in per set.
    Well those series like Kwong Chiu, Mong Chong Yan, and them other Chinese Opera series are just abit 'too' old for me. I will have a hard time getting through those. I was thinking of those Gu Long wuxia series... old, slow, draggy but I would like to watch them since I never really had a chance to see most of those classics and they are supposedly keepers

This must be my 3rd time rewatching LOCH83 and I don't mind the pacing and cheap sets/props BUT if anything, it was the audio which puts me to sleep. But all is good since this is a classic.

While I remember, I might as well share this here if nobody knows. If you have the HK Modern Media version, you might find a 'secret' menu on the last disk. On the DVD menu, press 'up' button on your remote control and you would go to the special soundtrack/OST menu with all the LOCH songs. Took me ages to figure that out for some reason.
    Didn't know about the easter egg! Must try when I get home.

Coincidently, Im patiently re-watching 'ATBOH' too. I thought it was decent when I saw it for the first time 10 years ago so thought I might as well add the DVD to my 'mini-collection'. On the last disk but getting hella boring.
    Yeah ATBOH was good when first watched it many years ago. Now it's just tough going through the episodes. It's been 2 months and I'm just half way there.

Well those series like Kwong Chiu, Mong Chong Yan, and them other Chinese Opera series are just abit 'too' old for me. I will have a hard time getting through those. I was thinking of those Gu Long wuxia series... old, slow, draggy but I would like to watch them since I never really had a chance to see most of those classics and they are supposedly keepers
    Yeah they are old for me too, but I would get them if they drop the prices. I would love to see Luk Siu Fung on DVD. Ken said it's great and I'm taking his word for it. I watched Adam Cheng's version of Heaven Sword Dragon Sabre and I enjoyed it so I really wanna see Luk Siu Fung. Any idea of The Twins is any good? I'm talking about the Wong Yuen Sun and Shek Sau version.

The Justice of Life (1989)
    http://us.yesasia.com/b5/PrdDept.asp...id-1004936433/

Point of No Return (2003)
    http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1004936431/

Notice these dvds are produced by Taiseng, and Global Yesasia still has yet to put up the links for Modern Audio's version on to the site....weird.

I saw Twins with Sek Sau and Wong Yuen Sun many years ago and it was ok. But I liked the 80s version with Tony more. I thought some of the cast in the 70s version of Twins were miscasted. For example, the lady that played Kwok Jing's mom was casted as Yao Yue Gong Zhu?? Boy that was a major miscast!!! She is way too ugly for the role.

All of the releases are sooo random lately... I am still waiting for some good ones from the 80s but they are still not out yet. However, I guess it is good to balance it all out instead of releasing only new or just older series.
    Last edited by Trinie; 07-20-07 at 11:43 PM.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

70's, 70's, 70's !!!!!!!!!!

We got to get the old Damian Lau version of Luk Siu Feng, Paul Chu Kong's Sentimental Swordsman, and Adam Cheng's Book and Sword out on DVD! THe series from 2000's can still be found in the video stores, and they are generally not that good. Not old enough for "classic status."

Does anyone know if the 80's version of Black Sabre with Hugo Ng and the 80's version of LUk Siu Feng with Alex Man are out in VCD or DVD?

Yeah they are old for me too, but I would get them if they drop the prices. I would love to see Luk Siu Fung on DVD. Ken said it's great and I'm taking his word for it. I watched Adam Cheng's version of Heaven Sword Dragon Sabre and I enjoyed it so I really wanna see Luk Siu Fung. Any idea of The Twins is any good? I'm talking about the Wong Yuen Sun and Shek Sau version.
    The Luk Siu Fung Series is probably the first reason why I want these 70 stuff remastered on DVD after seeing clips on Youtube.com. There are VCD versions but I'm holding back as hopefully, we'll see DVDs soon. I use to buy VCD TVB series so not gonna make same mistake again.

Adam Cheng's HSDS was also decent but his 'Book & Sword' put me to sleep after 10 eps or so. 'The Twins' is one of them series which I never got to see from the 70s. Ah, the great Wong Yuen Sun, I loved his RTV/ATV series (still have them on the old VHS) but never really got to see his TVB stuff, which again is another reason why I want these on DVD soon.