Page 34 of 250 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536373839404142434484134 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts II

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    This morning, a worried parent said to me: "The dog ate my son's homework!" and took out a chewed up book from his bag.

It was the first "dog ate homework" occurrence in my entire 15+ years as a teacher, and it was true too.
    I tried not to laugh, and offered to photocopy the chewed up pages so that the kid could redo his homework.
    You have a lot of interesting stories. : ) What grade do you teach?
    Less Than Perfect

This morning, a worried parent said to me: "The dog ate my son's homework!" and took out a chewed up book from his bag.

It was the first "dog ate homework" occurrence in my entire 15+ years as a teacher, and it was true too.
    I tried not to laugh, and offered to photocopy the chewed up pages so that the kid could redo his homework.
    Lol! That's so cute. I used to get cutes one like "my baby brother ripped up my hw", which I completely believed.

Just retook the GRE to see if I had improved. It was okay with just under moderate effort for preparation. My verbal score was pretty good...but my quant score was abysmal lol.
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    Lol! That's so cute. I used to get cutes one like "my baby brother ripped up my hw", which I completely believed.

Just retook the GRE to see if I had improved. It was okay with just under moderate effort for preparation. My verbal score was pretty good...but my quant score was abysmal lol.
    how was it?! was this your 2nd time taking it?
    i think i'm gona take mines as soon as i finish my prep book!
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mi do ri View Post
    You have a lot of interesting stories. : ) What grade do you teach?
    Equivalent of pre-K and K.

I get "my sibling ripped up/scribbled on my homework" periodically, but they still hand it up anyway. The rips would be taped together and the scribbles, usually in non-erasable ink, would be there in all their multicolour glory.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Sorry, duplicate post. Deleted.
    Last edited by HuangYushi; 02-08-11 at 07:14 AM.
    Soon ... SOON!

Equivalent of pre-K and K.
    4-6 years old? You must be patient and fit running after them. :-)

Or possess an aura of authority and a firm grasp of dicipline.

Quote Originally Posted by kay &!* View Post
    how was it?! was this your 2nd time taking it?
    i think i'm gona take mines as soon as i finish my prep book!
    This time I got 500Q and 700V, AW don't know.

Frankly, my math score was abysmal. Since I know myself pretty well, I was not shocked lol. Rather, I was pleasantly surprised that my math score went up 100 points. I tried to do as little math as possible haha! So did my verbal score, and all I did the second time was to take the GRE Powerprep practice test over and over again. The real CAT exam had a lot of words that I wasn't sure about in the beginning, I randomly guessed. I experimented with the powerprep software because I was curious what kind of questions would pop up. It's a pretty good indicator of how you will do on the exam, really accurate. My AW section, I did not study for. Honestly, if you've written papers before, you can do this section fine. I got a good AW score last time too, 5 AW, with minimal prep.

I don't need a terribly high score for the MA program that I want to get into. It's a good program and a former admissions committee member said that GRE and GPA are both factors that could be waived if the rest of the application had a good fit. Honestly, if you visit like gradcafe or something, people there have really high scores, but most applicants don't do THAT well on any exam.
    Last edited by ByTmE; 02-08-11 at 06:42 PM.
    I like me.

That's pretty awesome lol.

15+ years? Does this mean you're older than Ken or about the same age?

Frankly, my math score was abysmal. Since I know myself pretty well, I was not shocked lol. Rather, I was pleasantly surprised that my math score went up 100 points. I tried to do as little math as possible haha! So did my verbal score, and all I did the second time was to take the GRE Powerprep practice test over and over again. The real CAT exam had a lot of words that I wasn't sure about in the beginning, I randomly guessed. I experimented with the powerprep software because I was curious what kind of questions would pop up. It's a pretty good indicator of how you will do on the exam, really accurate. My AW section, I did not study for. Honestly, if you've written papers before, you can do this section fine. I got a good AW score last time too, 5 AW, with minimal prep.

I don't need a terribly high score for the MA program that I want to get into. It's a good program and a former admissions committee member said that GRE and GPA are both factors that could be waived if the rest of the application had a good fit. Honestly, if you visit like gradcafe or something, people there have really high scores, but most applicants don't do THAT well on any exam.
    In general, I wouldn't recommend taking the GRE more than once unless you really have to. I took it twice, but the first time was under special circumstances and I actually canceled my score, so on paper it looks as if I only did it once.
    I'd just recommend buying the Kapan and Barron's books and using POWERPREP near the end to gauge how you'll actually do on the exam. I think my real score was like within 10 points from my POWERPREP scores.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

The program i plan on applying to is reallyyy limited and hard (medical. i know, WHO would've thought!?!!!!! finance > poli sci > pr > med..god.) so i have to HAVEE TO do really well on the GRE scores to even grow balls towards applying for the program. my cumulative gpa is over 3.0 but not GREAT. my major gpa is good though .. damn business courses and freshmen year in general!!! T_T so yeah, i'm still really scared only way i can even get a chance for admission is a kick-*** gre, personal essay, and rec. letters. lucky you for a more flexible program..
    i will most definitely check up on powerprep once i'm ready, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by xJadedx View Post
    In general, I wouldn't recommend taking the GRE more than once unless you really have to. I took it twice, but the first time was under special circumstances and I actually canceled my score, so on paper it looks as if I only did it once.
    I'd just recommend buying the Kapan and Barron's books and using POWERPREP near the end to gauge how you'll actually do on the exam. I think my real score was like within 10 points from my POWERPREP scores.
    yeah, i definitely only *want* to take it once.
    but i heard they're coming out with the new gre format in aug 2011? so if you take the gre prior to that, you have the option of retaking and choosing which scores be sent to the college.. and they will only see that one score. don't know how true that is but if that's the case, hell yeah i'd do it! why not? i don't plan on going to grad school til fall 2012 anyways..
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

My program will only take the higher score regardless of the other score. If you only want to take it once, then you should work hard on preparing for the exam. After all, it's $150 bucks. I just happened to have the money laying around and a hankering to improve my verbal score. I don't think the GRE score will make or break you, but perhaps it will limit your options if you plan on applying to a Top 5 or Top 10 school. Then they might use that as a cutoff for applicants. My field is international education..and the professors in the program have a certain **pfffffft** attitude towards standardized testing. lol. They value real world experience more. The only thing that sucks about this specific school is that you need to get an MA before getting a PhD...hmm, seems true for this field in general.

You're applying to a Med school? What happened to wanting to do...something not Medical but I can't remember. Don't you have to take the MCAT? Your statement of purpose and letters of recommendation will be very important. You can't quite control the LORs but you'd better make sure to have a stellar SOP. My friend got into Georgetown Medical in '08. Her numbers were not as high as her cohorts, but she had professors who went "above and beyond" enthusiastic for her LORs, and she aced her interview. In her admission year, there was some ridiculously low admission rate of like 3% or something like that.

Keep us updated!
    I like me.

My program will only take the higher score regardless of the other score. If you only want to take it once, then you should work hard on preparing for the exam. After all, it's $150 bucks. I just happened to have the money laying around and a hankering to improve my verbal score. I don't think the GRE score will make or break you, but perhaps it will limit your options if you plan on applying to a Top 5 or Top 10 school. Then they might use that as a cutoff for applicants. My field is international education..and the professors in the program have a certain **pfffffft** attitude towards standardized testing. lol. They value real world experience more. The only thing that sucks about this specific school is that you need to get an MA before getting a PhD...hmm, seems true for this field in general.

You're applying to a Med school? What happened to wanting to do...something not Medical but I can't remember. Don't you have to take the MCAT? Your statement of purpose and letters of recommendation will be very important. You can't quite control the LORs but you'd better make sure to have a stellar SOP. My friend got into Georgetown Medical in '08. Her numbers were not as high as her cohorts, but she had professors who went "above and beyond" enthusiastic for her LORs, and she aced her interview. In her admission year, there was some ridiculously low admission rate of like 3% or something like that.

Keep us updated!
    haha, i wanted to do Public Relations after grad :P But figured,.. it's too much of a headache for me. honestly, i'm lazy to work.. been dreading grad. ever since and to think about all the pressure and headache that comes with PR.. i don't think i'd survive. sure, you may earn a lot once you reach a certain level of experience but idk if all the stress will be worth it. plus, most pr work doesn't *require a master's so why bother.. pr is based on exp. more than level of ed. so i guess i can start off whenever i feel like it in the future & the work sounds so competitive for the amount they pay i'm scared of busting my *** too much at work and not really enjoying life, if you know what i mean HAHA! i need to find something more stable, secure, flexible, and not too much demand/pressure.. esp. in a small cubicle every damn day. **** no.

i'm not exactly applying to med school but it's healthcare-related. don't want to say what it is yet in case i fail HAHA!! :P but let's just say you can never go wrong with the health-care field in terms of employment.. i like that sense of security that i'll be able to find something where ever i decide to go. and knowing me, i like to switch things up a lot i get to see new faces every day, have an extremely flexible schedule, laid-back work, and summer off. the program is hella difficult, yes, but i'm gona tell myself to really bust my *** those 2 years for the dream job i want. i can be lazy thereafter

and yes, will keep you guys posted
    Last edited by kay &!*; 02-09-11 at 02:33 AM.

^ lol ok then. good luck!
    I like me.

What is your input, given this senario: You have a new staff who is still under 3 months probation (just joined the office for about a month) with the following traits at your workplace whom you need to work quite closely with?

- disappear from office (for a few hours) if not, will hide in our small conference room, using the office phone to call her personal friend and chat over for an hour or so
    - no initiative to help
    - doesn't exactly know what to do and refuses to ask/observe her seniors
    - seems to think office is a playground
    - claimed she wants/keen to learn but her work attitude tells otherwise
    - etc ... (a few more but I can't remember)

If there's any triumph card play to her advantage, it would be, she's young, 22 y/o. She has previous working experiences, however, i.e not a green horn to working society. I sensed that she did not have good relationships with her previous employment from my observation.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 02-09-11 at 04:26 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

If she were my colleague whose performance doesn't affect me directly? I would ignore her. But you know that Does her direct supervisor know of her behavior? Sounds like she's hard to miss....upset of course for the random disappearances. I would personally choose to distance myself from her unless of course if she steals my lunch or asks me for help. I would still complain to close friends though. If a supervisor asked me, I'd be frank. I don't want someone like that in the office because their actions breed ill will/thoughts.
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    4-6 years old? You must be patient and fit running after them. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    Or possess an aura of authority and a firm grasp of dicipline.
    It's more like this: I know the difference between a real need in the kids (I would be patient) and pure nonsense (I would be an authoritative disciplinarian).

Quote Originally Posted by devilz91 View Post
    That's pretty awesome lol.
    In what way? That the parent was concerned enough to tell me about the incident, that the dog actually ate the homework or that the kid would have to redo his homework?

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    15+ years? Does this mean you're older than Ken or about the same age?
    Does it matter? Will that turn me from a Zhang Cuishan into a Song Yuanqiao in your perception?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    What is your input, given this senario: You have a new staff who is still under 3 months probation (just joined the office for about a month) with the following traits at your workplace whom you need to work quite closely with?
    If she gets me into trouble (because I'd be working closely with her), I'll collect evidence of her poor attitudes/behaviours and serve them to her supervisors for breakfast. Yes, I am unkind towards her kind because I've seen and worked with too many of them.

Today, someone called regarding a job vacancy and agreed to a 4.00 p.m. interview. She did not show up until 5.00 p.m., after calling at 4.30 p.m. to try her luck to see if I was still in the office. She did not even ask to speak to me; she just asked the random employee who answered the phone to see if I was still in without asking them to convey a message to me. I could have left anytime after 4.30 p.m., but since I didn't and she managed to see me, she ended up getting an earful from me about keeping appointments, trustworthiness, punctuality and responsibility.
    Soon ... SOON!

Ok, want to ask something. Just now I click to spcnet and saw a messsage said congratulations, you are our 1000th visitor. You are selected for ...

But, at that time, I always click a link, so, it go to another page before I finish reading. I click back and it's gone. Can anyone tell me what it is?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

If she were my colleague whose performance doesn't affect me directly? I would ignore her. But you know that
    Yes, I remember you mentioning. You're more of a person who prefers peace and harmony, IMO.

Does her direct supervisor know of her behavior?
    Yes. Actually, I am the one supervising her. She is introduced into our company by the MD whom I am accountable to. The MD is not the big boss, but a "boss" who is put in-charge of this local branch and oversee the operations here. The two know each other for just a few weeks in a church function, according to her.

She is supposed to be assisting me, and handles routine administrative work. She is put here as an apprentice to learn about the fundamentals of banking & finance too - but from what I heard (from my colleague who guides her in that banking & finance), she's struggling very hard - she can't do the simplest task assigned to her in that area.

Sounds like she's hard to miss....upset of course for the random disappearances. I would personally choose to distance myself from her unless of course if she steals my lunch or asks me for help. I would still complain to close friends though. If a supervisor asked me, I'd be frank. I don't want someone like that in the office because their actions breed ill will/thoughts.
    We have less than 10 persons in office usually as most of the staff travels for work purposes. And, they don't bother since they're the money-makers. This new girl is putting up the friendly and nice face with us but my "sensor" picks up something dodgy about her - she lies frequently.

I feel like I am sabotaging her if I would be frank with my Director who takes care of Global Operations, initially. But I think I really need to do that. I plan to find a time to talk to her one last time before I finally do that. I know, for sure, that my MD is very protective of her for some reasons which only the two would know. I've noticed that when I speak to him about her (not on this matter) on some trivial issues at a few occasions. This is probably politics, I guess.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 02-09-11 at 08:13 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?