Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous old ATV/TVB series

Haha! That's fine... i think Chyi Yu is an amazing singer. Her duet with Suzanne Cianni was amazing. I actually made CLH 1984 MV with that song, lemme spam it just once here...

Last edited by Icha Parvati; 01-30-17 at 06:53 AM. Reason: adding the embedded video

Quote Originally Posted by Sarafina View Post
    No prob! Glad to help! =)

I think the song in the very beginning is just an intro so I didn't include it as song #1. I don't recognize it from any series.

I believe Love and Passion is the name of both the series and the song. I haven't seen the series myself so I can't say for sure. It's credited under Liza's list of TV series from 1982. Sorry, the wiki page is in Chinese but the English wiki page is empty. But at least you can see the cover art. =)

https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E8%90...98%AF%E6%83%85

Thanks, Sarafina. I feel the intro song is a, well, a song because it was sung in Cantonese. I feel that if it's "just" an intro they made up, instead of picked from somewhere, they wouldn't bother singing it in Canto, cos they are Mandarin speakers... if that makes sense?

And thanks for the Love & Passion. Will look at it, also will listen to your Chyi Yu video now.
    Last edited by Icha Parvati; 01-30-17 at 07:00 AM.

I'm a huge fan of Chyi Yu! Her brother Chyi Qin is also a singer. She is literally one of my favorite vocalists while growing up. Have you heard her sing in the movie Xiu Xiu: The Send Down Girl? It's to die for. She sang both the Chinese and English versions of the song.

English Version
    This Xiu Xiu movie must be a very sad one! I think I'll skip it for now... but I have to say Chyi Yu sang the Whispering Steppes beautifully. I had her collection in my iTunes before I stopped using iTunes (got the 3 months free). Then after a few months I returned to iTunes, but I forgot about her. You reminded me again of her... time to listen to those songs again...

Back to the TVB songs, what's Love and Passion about in summary? anyone knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Icha Parvati
    Back to the TVB songs, what's Love and Passion about in summary? anyone knows?
    I would like to know too. =)

In the meantime, let's enjoy more music!

Wakin Chau and Chyi Yu reunion after 21 years since RoCH95 collab. They sing again the RoCH theme in mandarin. The music starts around 2mins in. The beginning was just Wakin explaining his relationship with Chyi Yu and how she helped him break into the business. It's pretty much a summary of his bio on wiki.

Wikipedia
    “Wakin had high hopes to establish a career as a recording artist, and he actively sought out contacts in the music industry. But a persistent lack of interest eventually led him to give up trying to become a performer – instead, he could sign on as an assistant producer at Rock Records, where he wrote marketable pop songs for other artists.

Wakin was later encouraged by Chyi Yu to sing some jingles for commercial advertising spots. One of these tunes was for a car commercial, and it happened to catch the attention of Wakin's boss at Rock, who realised it was the voice of his own assistant producer.
    That moment opened the door for Wakin to record and release his first Mandarin album under the Rock Records label in 1987. For a man who had dreamed of performing professionally but had settled on being a record producer, this was a period of particularly good fortune that launched a succession of chart-topping records.”

Quote Originally Posted by Icha Parvati View Post
    Haha! That's fine... i think Chyi Yu is an amazing singer. Her duet with Suzanne Cianni was amazing. I actually made CLH 1984 MV with that song, lemme spam it just once here...

Awesome video! =)

The MV playing on the big screen in the background during the reunion duet was the original MV of the song.

Thanks for the thumbs up for my MV, Sarafina!

I'm not really sure what you meant by this though:

The MV playing on the big screen in the background during the reunion duet was the original MV of the song.
    Big screen during the Jiangsu TV gala? I need to watch it again...

Quote Originally Posted by Icha Parvati View Post
    Thanks for the thumbs up for my MV, Sarafina!

I'm not really sure what you meant by this though:

Big screen during the Jiangsu TV gala? I need to watch it again...
    Sorry, should have been more specific. I was referring to this video. Notice the music video playing on the screen above Wakin and Chyi Yu while they were singing around 2:52 minutes into the clip? It's their original music video from 1995.

ah okay, thanks.

Btw, I received input from "TVBFan" that the first song in the Jiangsu TV Spring Gala was actually "Triumph in the Sky". I checked the link, and he/she was right.

So we do have 8 songs for the Jiangsu Gala...

Awesome. Thank you so much for posting the video link! Do you know what Triumph in the Sky is about? I'm going to go watch the clip right now.

Chinese Version

Got excited talking about Chyi Yu. I need to stop before I start spamming Chyi Yu videos, haha.
    I've never heard of her before, but this was amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBcC1C1uuwU
    Found this lovely video....
    One of my favorite on screen couples and favorite series =)

Awesome. Thank you so much for posting the video link! Do you know what Triumph in the Sky is about? I'm going to go watch the clip right now.
    Sorry for the late reply. Dunno much about Truumph in the Sky, but it looks like the Academy (Michael Miu, Michelle Yim, 2004), with hands-on work as well on a civil aviation world. It does look good...

Recently started watching General Father, General Son and wondering what is Chan man yee up to now a days.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    Recently started watching General Father, General Son and wondering what is Chan man yee up to now a days.
    I don't know what she's doing career-wise, but she's a very active born-again Christian and actually participates in Chinese Christian seminars, sharing about how her faith changed her life, and the pressures she faces because her husband Liu Kai-chi is not very supportive of it (although I don't know whether it's because he's an atheist or of another faith).

Thank you everyone for sharing those YouTube videos. I feel like I grew up in the wrong era sometimes. I wish I was old enough in the 80's and 90's to enjoy all these series. I have to go through hoops and ladders to find a place to watch those. Luckily, some were dubbed into Vietnamese so I can watch those (I wish I could understand cantonese/mandarin, ugh).

To this day, I'm obsessed with costume/historical/ancient series because I grew up loving all these older series.
    Always in search of great historical/costume dramas.
    Find me on MyDramaList ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    I don't know what she's doing career-wise, but she's a very active born-again Christian and actually participates in Chinese Christian seminars, sharing about how her faith changed her life, and the pressures she faces because her husband Liu Kai-chi is not very supportive of it (although I don't know whether it's because he's an atheist or of another faith).
    Wow I had no idea. I think the last series I saw her in was book and the sword. I really missed her acting, she was in some pretty good series.

Quote Originally Posted by lilviet_grl8o8 View Post
    I have to go through hoops and ladders to find a place to watch those. Luckily, some were dubbed into Vietnamese so I can watch those.
    It doesn't help that TVB makes it difficult for newer generations to enjoy and appreciate their older series. Their official DVDs are outrageously priced and many are heavily cut and edited from the original. My poor RoCH with Andy Lau practically got butchered. I definitely remember scenes from the VHS rental version from my school days that did not show up in the DVD.

It doesn't help that TVB makes it difficult for newer generations to enjoy and appreciate their older series. Their official DVDs are outrageously priced and many are heavily cut and edited from the original. My poor RoCH with Andy Lau practically got butchered. I definitely remember scenes from the VHS rental version from my school days that did not show up in the DVD.
    I haven't seen the DVD version of ROCH, but I will agree that they edit and cut out a lot of scenes. I was watching the VCD version of LOCH and a lot of scenes I remember from VHS version got cut. It happens with ATV series as well. Sometimes you can tell it was cut because the sequence doesn't flow.