Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 394041424344454647484950 LastLast

Thread: Yittz's Clinic!!

Can Acne scars be treated? In fact, can any sort of scar on the body be treated? I've heard laser technology can deminish their appearance.

ALSO, I have a very faint white patch on the left side of my face which is hardly visible unless you look closely. Still, it bothers. I believe this is some sort of fungus growth, but I'd had it for as long as I can remember. What do you think, doc?

Quote Originally Posted by Sourplum View Post
    Can Acne scars be treated? In fact, can any sort of scar on the body be treated? I've heard laser technology can deminish their appearance.

ALSO, I have a very faint white patch on the left side of my face which is hardly visible unless you look closely. Still, it bothers. I believe this is some sort of fungus growth, but I'd had it for as long as I can remember. What do you think, doc?
    Not a plastic surgeon, so my take on this is
    a) yes, laser has been used. Other treatment exists as well. Often, the cause was genetic- i.e. more treatments might not help if your skin is predisposed to scars in the first place.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    via pubmed.

J Am Acad Dermatol. 2010 Aug;63(2):274-83.
    Efficacy and safety of a carbon-dioxide ablative fractional resurfacing device for treatment of atrophic acne scars in Asians.
    Manuskiatti W, Triwongwaranat D, Varothai S, Eimpunth S, Wanitphakdeedecha R.

Department of Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand. [email protected]
    Abstract
    BACKGROUND: Treatment of atrophic scars with a fractional laser resurfacing technique has demonstrated favorable outcomes, although data on the efficacy and adverse effects of this procedure in persons with dark-skinned phototypes are limited.

OBJECTIVE: This study was conducted to evaluate the efficacy and safety of carbon-dioxide ablative fractional resurfacing on atrophic acne scars in Asian individuals.

METHODS: Thirteen subjects (8 female and 5 male, aged 25-52 years) with skin phototype IV and atrophic acne scars were treated with 3 sessions of carbon-dioxide ablative fractional resurfacing laser on an average of 7-week interval. Objective (ultraviolet A-light video camera) and subjective (clinical evaluation by two blinded dermatologists) assessments were obtained at baseline and at 1, 3, and 6 months after the final treatment.

RESULTS: At the 6-month follow-up, 85% of the subjects were rated as having at least 25% to 50% improvement of scars. Improvement significantly progressed from the 1-month follow-up to the 6-month follow-up (P = .002). At 1 month after 3 treatments, surface smoothness (P = .03) and scar volume (P < .001) significantly improved, compared with baseline measurements. Of the subjects, 62% rated themselves as having at least 50% improvement in their scars. Mild postinflammatory hyperpigmentation was the most common adverse effect observed in 92% of the subjects or 51% of treatment sessions, and was completely resolved in an average of 5 weeks.

LIMITATION: The small sample size was a study limitation.

CONCLUSIONS: Carbon-dioxide ablative fractional resurfacing appears to be effective and well tolerated for the treatment of atrophic acne scars in Asians.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

b) It is hard to diagnose rashes using the internet without photo.

Suggest consult your local friendly medical person.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Sourplum View Post
    Laser Resurfacing is an expensive and last ditch effort for more serious cases of acne scars. It also depends on the type of scarring you have. If the scarring is due to picking at your face, then that's going to be harder to treat with home techniques. If it's not too serious you can combine a weekly regime of retin a or glycolic acid treatment [like Avene Diacneal] with some form of warming scrub treatment [like the Philosophy Microdermabrasion Peel].

If your scarring is due to "under the skin" acne, where a dark pigment and bump exist, than that can be treated with Retinol A only to bring it up to the surface. Consistent treatment with something more common like Benzoyl Peroxide may also produce good results according to your skin type.

If you suffer from keloid scars on the other hand, that might be the hardest to treat. Seek a dermatologist's help. There exists a genetic predisposition as mentioned by Han Solo to such scarring, usually in minorities. New keloid scars due to surgery needs to massaged and treated with appropriate topical agents. This actually various from skin types. I didn't receive the affects of lavender or emu oil well, but Retinal A helped to lighten discoloration and flatten texture. Go figure.

This should all be done with an understanding of your skin type, texture, and sensitivity though. BTW I'm a sunscreen advocate. A many number of skin ailments can be alleviated through strong protection especially during treatment. Never ever go out without sunscreen [IMHO and a hat] if you are being treated with Retin A, glycolic acid, or BP, it will hinder the improvement and might cause hyper pigmentation and redness. They are both embarrassing....just imagine the "asian glow" ALL THE TIME.
    I like me.

Hey, i got some sharp pain just above my elbow, outer side, sort of at the bottom of the triceps. I have ongoing problems with the elbow but the triceps only started hurting after trying to lift/push heavy objects. I tried using a compression sleeve around the triceps, which extended to just over my elbow. Wearing the sleeve seemed to give me a burning/stinging pain after a while in my forearm. I've iced the elbow/triceps the last couple days, 10-15mins twice a day.

The upper arm is pretty much pain free now except on heavy exertion, but if i poke just above the elbow i feel a deep pain/tenderness. Any ideas on what to do? Or any diagnostic tests that i could go get done via the gp? My wrist and elbow of my left arm have been having problems on and off for years now, seen the doc ages ago but got sent home with nsaids.
    Full Metal Alchemist - HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI

My doctor brothers in arms. Riddle me this:
    Stitches are recommended 10 days before removal. Is that a bare minimum or is it safe to assume that the skin will be healed by 10 days.
    After 10 days, is it possible for the wound to reopen?
    If the dressing was applied around the armpit and wasn't completely sealed in. Thus allowing some water to contact the stitches, would it affect much? Is it likelier to have more bacteria because it's in a crevice?

If pain killers don't work after 2 hours, what does it mean? Can a person be immune to pain killers?

Cheers.

Clinic open again.

Probably renamed Han Solo's Clinic if Yittz is not showing up.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Should rename haha
    I will help
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

When we receive medicines, it seem like a common instruction to take it before or after meals.

Can I know what's the difference, and what will happen if I take an after-type of meds before meal?
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    When we receive medicines, it seem like a common instruction to take it before or after meals.

Can I know what's the difference, and what will happen if I take an after-type of meds before meal?
    Certain drugs are best taken after meal, such as anti-inflammatory drugs e.g. ibuprofen or voltaren as these drugs can cause gastritis and stomach upset.

Other drugs such as statin are best taken at night, and avoiding drugs such as grapefruit.

On the whole, however, there are small differences on the effects of the drugs depending on the timing but this is usually non-life threatening .

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control

Sometimes when I breathe, I feel a sharp pain either in my ribs or back. I had to take very small and slow breaths to minimise the hurt and it usually goes after 1 or 2 minutes. I can't take normal or deep breaths during that interval because the pain will be too great for me to bear.

Is there any reason why this happens?
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Sometimes when I breathe, I feel a sharp pain either in my ribs or back. I had to take very small and slow breaths to minimise the hurt and it usually goes after 1 or 2 minutes. I can't take normal or deep breaths during that interval because the pain will be too great for me to bear.

Is there any reason why this happens?

We call it a stitch.

It's basically no biggie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_stitch

Han S
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control

Let's say that I go to the hospital and they insert a catheter in me and then take it out after a week. And let's say that since then I can't urinate on my own. Does that mean that my body has become dependent on the catheter or my organ has failed, or both?

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    Let's say that I go to the hospital and they insert a catheter in me and then take it out after a week. And let's say that since then I can't urinate on my own. Does that mean that my body has become dependent on the catheter or my organ has failed, or both?
    Sorry for the very very late reply.

This happens all the time.

Men who had In-dwelling Urinary Catheter would have it for couple of weeks, then would be going to hospital for a day for a " trial of void".

The catheter gets pulled out and then they would sit around waiting to pass urine.

If they can pass urine by themselves, then everything is good.

If they cannot, a new one is inserted again, and they try again in a few weeks.

Obviously, if there are infections, or bladder wall irritations etc, it is more likely to fail.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control

I have this annoying post nasal drip that's been bothering me for over a week, which causes me to cough. Cough syrup medicine doesn't work. My throat isn't really sore, unless i press on it, so how do I get rid of the post nasal drip?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I have fever, cough and stomach upset (all together) four days ago. Fever and cough are now gone. I thought that stomach upset will be gone. But yesterday morning and today's morning, when I woke up, I have a little diarrhoea. Yesterday's evening, I have diarrhoea. Is it normal? Doc presecribed IBS drug (sorry I can't remember the name, I think it starts with CE). I have finished the full dose yesterday. Feeling a bit tired now.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    I have fever, cough and stomach upset (all together) four days ago. Fever and cough are now gone. I thought that stomach upset will be gone. But yesterday morning and today's morning, when I woke up, I have a little diarrhoea. Yesterday's evening, I have diarrhoea. Is it normal? Doc presecribed IBS drug (sorry I can't remember the name, I think it starts with CE). I have finished the full dose yesterday. Feeling a bit tired now.
    I think you just had your standard food poisoning (gastroenteritis). The medication that you were given is probably something to reduce the frequency of your bowel motions.

Hope that you got well.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control

Thanks, Dr Han. I am fine now.

I've been reading about the pH level in our body. What I'm reading is that we would ideally have a neutral to slightly alkaline pH, around 7.4 or slightly higher. My pH level happens to be 6.0. Is that too acidic, or just slightly acidic? The scale isn't clear to me. Please help if you can answer.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I've been reading about the pH level in our body. What I'm reading is that we would ideally have a neutral to slightly alkaline pH, around 7.4 or slightly higher. My pH level happens to be 6.0. Is that too acidic, or just slightly acidic? The scale isn't clear to me. Please help if you can answer.
    What pH did you measure? Your urine or your blood?

Urine is usually acidic and a pH of 6 is fairly normal.

Normal range for blood pH is much more narrow, usually needing to be between 7.35-7.45 for a normal person. In certain diseases, you can be chronically acidic or basic and not suffer too much clinical effects. However, if your blood pH is at a 6, you are most likely already hospitalized in critical condition .
    Last edited by S Beaver; 04-09-12 at 12:44 AM.
    Watch out! Dihydrogen Monoxide will kill us all!

Quote Originally Posted by S Beaver View Post
    What pH did you measure? Your urine or your blood?
    It was the pee pee.

OK, I won't lose any more sleep over it
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」