Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Gu Long series to start if i am a lifetime Jin Yong fan?

Default Which Gu Long series to start if i am a lifetime Jin Yong fan?

Hey guys, so i just rewatched all the jin yong series and got nothing else to watch in this quarantine. I would like to start watching gu long stuff. If my favorite Jin Yong novels are LOCH, ROCH and to a certain extend DGSD and SPW, which gu long novel would you recommend me to start on? in particular, which series adaption (year and name).

thank youuu
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    Hey guys, so i just rewatched all the jin yong series and got nothing else to watch in this quarantine. I would like to start watching gu long stuff. If my favorite Jin Yong novels are LOCH, ROCH and to a certain extend DGSD and SPW, which gu long novel would you recommend me to start on? in particular, which series adaption (year and name).

thank youuu
    Getting bored in isolation? If you are talking about TV series I recommend 楚留香之蝙蝠傳奇 1984 from TVB, as this has quite the JY feel. Its on youtube to its easy o access as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    Getting bored in isolation? If you are talking about TV series I recommend 楚留香之蝙蝠傳奇 1984 from TVB, as this has quite the JY feel. Its on youtube to its easy o access as well.
    niceee is there a more modern one that is good? the graphics is just too much for me

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    Michael Miu and Barbara Wong's version? Yes, I will recommend this too.

I was thinking of the recent Handsome Siblings. But there aren't many interesting fight scenes in this series.

thank youuu
    Personally from the oldies, i enjoyed these.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...f_Luk_Siu-fung

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...984_TV_series)

More newer would be this.

http://www.spcnet.tv/TVB-Series/Trea...l#.Xn8-O2k7bqs
    Last edited by Stance; 03-28-20 at 08:17 AM.

thanks !!!

thanks !!!
    Just my 2 cents. I feel that GL adaptations deviate much more from the feel of the original novels than JY.

I wish Wong Kar Wai would make a GL adaptation. The arty-farty style would suit it more. Or maybe Johnny To.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Just my 2 cents. I feel that GL adaptations deviate much more from the feel of the original novels than JY.
    Except for the 1970s adaptations, which for the most part, were fairly accurate. LuNaR, however, has no interest in 20th Century TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Except for the 1970s adaptations, which for the most part, were fairly accurate. LuNaR, however, has no interest in 20th Century TV.
    Hmmm, I was referring to the feel. I cant remember the 70s version properly though I watched some as a very young kid in the 80s or so but my point is that you can replicate the story without adding extra plot/characters/etc but still end up with a very different feel because so much of GL's writing focuses on the characters' thoughts and moods. That's why I want a Wong Kar Wai version (you know, how his shows have those long long voiceovers and mood scenes).
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post

I wish Wong Kar Wai would make a GL adaptation. The arty-farty style would suit it more. Or maybe Johnny To.
    i think you are right, i tried watching Treasure Raiders recommended by stance and cant seem to get into it. whenever i see felix i think of siu fung lol. i'll watch a few more episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    ken knows me the best lol

Handsome Siblings 2020 , adapted from novel juedai shuangjiao , many elements similar to Jin Yong style as Gu Long create this in his early time , which not yet created his own writing style
    nearly all my friends that favor jin yong, love to watch this adaptation , and 90% faithful to novel

Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    Handsome Siblings 2020 , adapted from novel juedai shuangjiao , many elements similar to Jin Yong style as Gu Long create this in his early time , which not yet created his own writing style
    nearly all my friends that favor jin yong, love to watch this adaptation , and 90% faithful to novel
    thanks i think ima give this a try, i dont like the Treasure raider series after 4 eps, the characters are just not likeable to me.

my only take against chinese mainland series is that all the action is played a super slow motion, hopefully this one isnt. ima start eps 1 tonight. TY again!

No. The fight scenes are not so great as compared to say the latest HSDS and LOCH.

Handsome Sibling is good but I like the 1988 version with Tony Leung as Little Fish.

thank youuu
    just to clarify: you wanna try GL but only if the style is similar to JY? then i would agree with the others and recomment GL's legendary twins (i personally prefer the 1979 TVB adaptation starring wong yuen-sun and shek sau), as it is more in keeping with the more traditional style of wuxia.

but if you want to see GL at his best, at his most unique style, i.e., that of his later years when he developed and perfected a writing style that deviates from the traditional one of LYS & JY, then i have a very different list. none of the adaptations of these later works really do justice to the style and instead try to make them more palatable to the masses, so i don't really have an adaptation to recommend.
    nostalgic for wuxiasociety? http://wuxiasociety.freeforums.net/

Quote Originally Posted by mawguy View Post
    just to clarify: you wanna try GL but only if the style is similar to JY? then i would agree with the others and recomment GL's legendary twins (i personally prefer the 1979 TVB adaptation starring wong yuen-sun and shek sau), as it is more in keeping with the more traditional style of wuxia.

but if you want to see GL at his best, at his most unique style, i.e., that of his later years when he developed and perfected a writing style that deviates from the traditional one of LYS & JY, then i have a very different list. none of the adaptations of these later works really do justice to the style and instead try to make them more palatable to the masses, so i don't really have an adaptation to recommend.
    id like a recommendation. i just finished the handsome sibling 2019 and it was great. looking for the next adaption

id like a recommendation. i just finished the handsome sibling 2019 and it was great. looking for the next adaption
    knowing your preferences from earlier posts, i could recommend a film: tear mark sword 2006, starring vincent chiao. adaptation of lei hen jian.

i've not watched any of the tv adaptations 2000 and post, so can't recommend in good conscience. but if you just want to get a gist of storyline, in spite of potential deviations from the source, the chu liuxiang stories tend to be palatable to most. again, i can't recommend any personally.
    Last edited by mawguy; 04-11-20 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mawguy View Post
    knowing your preferences from earlier posts, i could recommend a film: tear mark sword 2006, starring vincent chiao. adaptation of lei hen jian.

i've not watched any of the tv adaptations 2000 and post, so can't recommend in good conscience. but if you just want to get a gist of storyline, in spite of potential deviations from the source, the chu liuxiang stories tend to be palatable to most. again, i can't recommend any personally.
    thanks i'll look for that

i have watched many GL adaptation , many of them are just average , unlike Jin Yong's, i think GL's works are harder to be adapted to TV , plus more deviated from novel (actually i have only read a very tiny number of GL's novel too)

these are the list of dramas from year 2000s that i have watched

other than Handsome Siblings, i also like :
    - The Lost Swordship 2017 , based on Lingering Fragrance in a Rain of Swords, the last 3 episodes are bad, but overall is good , maybe not as good as Handsome siblings, i warn you the ending is sad ending, avoid if you dont like sad ending.
    - Xin Xiao Shi Yi Lang 2016, based on xiao shi yi lang or treasure raider, the ending is also very sad , not a happy ending

what i watched but i think the quality is only average:
    - the legend of flying dagger 2016 , based on xiao li fei dao the fifth book (the story about Li Huai, the grandson of Li Xunhuan)
    - the spirit sword 2007, nicholas tse version, based on Cleansing Flowers, Refining the Sword , the white robe samurai is become the main protagonist here, unlike the novel
    - meteor, butterfly, sword 2010 , actually the story is very good, many intrigues , betrayal, etc , i just dont like too many scenes of depression and misery

what i watched but i dont like:
    - Border town prodigal 2016 , based on xiao li fei dao the second novel, too many "catwalk show" scene that killing a screen time
    - Magic Blade 2012 , based on xiao li fei dao the 2nd and 4th novel
    - Detective and Doctors 2015, based on Lu xiao Feng the 1st book
    - the legend of chu liuxiang 2012/2013, based on chu liuxiang 4th-7th novel, very faithful to novel
    - the legend of chu liuxiang 2007 , based on chu liuxiang the 1st-3rd novel
    - sword master 2016, this one is movie that based on the sword of the third young master

i have watched many GL adaptation , many of them are just average , unlike Jin Yong's, i think GL's works are harder to be adapted to TV , plus more deviated from novel (actually i have only read a very tiny number of GL's novel too)

these are the list of dramas from year 2000s that i have watched

other than Handsome Siblings, i also like :
    - The Lost Swordship 2017 , based on Lingering Fragrance in a Rain of Swords, the last 3 episodes are bad, but overall is good , maybe not as good as Handsome siblings, i warn you the ending is sad ending, avoid if you dont like sad ending.
    - Xin Xiao Shi Yi Lang 2016, based on xiao shi yi lang or treasure raider, the ending is also very sad , not a happy ending

what i watched but i think the quality is only average:
    - the legend of flying dagger 2016 , based on xiao li fei dao the fifth book (the story about Li Huai, the grandson of Li Xunhuan)
    - the spirit sword 2007, nicholas tse version, based on Cleansing Flowers, Refining the Sword , the white robe samurai is become the main protagonist here, unlike the novel
    - meteor, butterfly, sword 2010 , actually the story is very good, many intrigues , betrayal, etc , i just dont like too many scenes of depression and misery

what i watched but i dont like:
    - Border town prodigal 2016 , based on xiao li fei dao the second novel, too many "catwalk show" scene that killing a screen time
    - Magic Blade 2012 , based on xiao li fei dao the 2nd and 4th novel
    - Detective and Doctors 2015, based on Lu xiao Feng the 1st book
    - the legend of chu liuxiang 2012/2013, based on chu liuxiang 4th-7th novel, very faithful to novel
    - the legend of chu liuxiang 2007 , based on chu liuxiang the 1st-3rd novel
    - sword master 2016, this one is movie that based on the sword of the third young master
    thank you, i'll give those a try.

handsome sibling 2019 was pretty good tbh, i was hooked and saw 3-5 eps a day lol and just finished it in like 2 weeks lol