Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: I've decided to learn Chinese.

Default I've decided to learn Chinese.

Okay, this is it! I've finally decided to learn Chinese. Well...not exactly. I already know how to speak Chinese (Cantonese anyways), so I just have to learn how to read and write it now.

I can recognize quite a large number of characters, just can't write it. But I probably won't try to hard to remember every stroke and brush. After all, I'm just learning Chinese to read Chinese novels.

Anyhow, what are some websites/programs that can help me greatly? I remember kidd posted a link to some program (Dimsum?). She said that that program is very useful when it comes to reading.

And after I get better at Chinese, what wuxia book should I read first? Something easy please.

PS: This is very important, should I start learning with SIMPLIFIED or TRADITIONAL?

traditional. once u know trad, u'll intuitively know simplified, whereas if u know simplified, u'll still be clueless about trad

but i failed at both
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Okay, this is it! I've finally decided to learn Chinese. Well...not exactly. I already know how to speak Chinese (Cantonese anyways), so I just have to learn how to read and write it now.

I can recognize quite a large number of characters, just can't write it. But I probably won't try to hard to remember every stroke and brush. After all, I'm just learning Chinese to read Chinese novels.

Anyhow, what are some websites/programs that can help me greatly? I remember kidd posted a link to some program (Dimsum?). She said that that program is very useful when it comes to reading.

And after I get better at Chinese, what wuxia book should I read first? Something easy please.

PS: This is very important, should I start learning with SIMPLIFIED or TRADITIONAL?
    sorry i dont know any programs or links to help you learn chinese, but i do use the program njstar to type chinese. i also cant recommend any wuxia novels to read cuz i myself dont have access to such novels from where i live. learning chinese is something i dont regret wasting 6 years on as i find it very beneficial now. I recommend learning tradition over simplified for the same reason above. the characters also look nicer . i reject to the idea of abolishment of traditional characters
    问世间,情是何物,直教生死相许?
    Lim Yo Hwan FIGHTING!

Quote Originally Posted by Quinton View Post
    sorry i dont know any programs or links to help you learn chinese, but i do use the program njstar to type chinese. i also cant recommend any wuxia novels to read cuz i myself dont have access to such novels from where i live. learning chinese is something i dont regret wasting 6 years on as i find it very beneficial now. I recommend learning tradition over simplified for the same reason above. the characters also look nicer . i reject to the idea of abolishment of traditional characters
    I think I'll have to learn SIMPLIFIED. The reason is because my parents are from China, and they use SIMPLIFIED. By the way, you can read wuxia novels online.

I heard Gu Long novels are the way to go if your Chinese is still wacky.

Here's the dimsum program.
    http://www.mandarintools.com/dimsum.html

Another useful site is http://www.mdbg.net/ or its mirror http://www.xuezhongwen.net/

This is the only online dictionary that also have cantonese pinyin. (Character dictionary section)

Yes, Gu Long's novels are the easiest to read for newbie, but not all of them. GL's older novels use more traditional style of writing. Quite hard for newbie.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Thanks, kidd.

Any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    traditional. once u know trad, u'll intuitively know simplified, whereas if u know simplified, u'll still be clueless about trad

but i failed at both
    I strongly disagree.

It's consistently been the case from what I've seen that people who know Traditional Chinese have far greater difficulty with Simplified Chinese than the other way around.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

bogeyman, SEPTEMBER CONDOR (Jiuyue Yingfei) is a Gu Long novel that I read when I was young. It is very easy to understand. I would recommend that you try reading that.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I think I'll buy a dictionary with all the basic everyday words...any recommendations there?

EDIT: and what program should I use to type Chinese characters (through pinyin)? Where do I download it?
    Last edited by Tom; 03-24-08 at 04:43 PM.

I think I'll buy a dictionary with all the basic everyday words...any recommendations there?

EDIT: and what program should I use to type Chinese characters (through pinyin)? Where do I download it?
    i use njstar, go to www.njstar.com. find NJStar Chinese Word Processor 5.20 it should be at the top, and click on free download for the shareware version.

I think I'll have to learn SIMPLIFIED. The reason is because my parents are from China, and they use SIMPLIFIED. By the way, you can read wuxia novels online.

I heard Gu Long novels are the way to go if your Chinese is still wacky.
    oh really, in the original chinese characters and if so where?? i know english translated is available on the web.
    问世间,情是何物,直教生死相许?
    Lim Yo Hwan FIGHTING!

Quote Originally Posted by Quinton View Post
    i use njstar, go to www.njstar.com. find NJStar Chinese Word Processor 5.20 it should be at the top, and click on free download for the shareware version.
    It says NJStar WP 5.2 is only a trial version. I have to pay $100+ for the full version!

EDIT: Is there a way to make me able to type Chinese anywhere? On my cousin's computer, there's a place at the right side of the taskbar that allows him to change from English to Chinese.
    Last edited by Tom; 03-24-08 at 07:43 PM.

EDIT: Is there a way to make me able to type Chinese anywhere? On my cousin's computer, there's a place at the right side of the taskbar that allows him to change from English to Chinese.
    For that Go to Control Panel > Date, Time and Languages > Add other languages > Language tab > Text services and input languages --> Detail (the rest is self-explanatory).
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

It says NJStar WP 5.2 is only a trial version. I have to pay $100+ for the full version!

I've been using the trial version for years. Just that after the trial period, you can't use its inbuilt dictionary anymore and that the save option will be unavailable. However, you can work around that latter disadvantage by shutting off the program straight after editing your file because it will still ask you if you want to save the changes.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    For that Go to Control Panel > Date, Time and Languages > Add other languages > Language tab > Text services and input languages --> Detail (the rest is self-explanatory).
    Can't find it. My computer doesn't seem to have Date, Time and Languages. It has 2 other icons: Date And Time and Regional and Language Options. I clicked on the Language one, but it doesn't seem to have the options you included in your post.

Nevermind...found it.
    Last edited by Tom; 03-24-08 at 09:04 PM.

Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Languages -> Install files for East Asian languages (if it's not dimmed out)-> Details -> Add -> Input Language: Chinese (PRC), Keyboard layout: (Chinese Simplified) - Microsoft Pinyin IME 3.0 or (Chinese Simplified) - QuanPin -> Ok -> Apply

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Languages -> Install files for East Asian languages (if it's not dimmed out)-> Details -> Add -> Input Language: Chinese (PRC), Keyboard layout: (Chinese Simplified) - Microsoft Pinyin IME 3.0 or (Chinese Simplified) - QuanPin -> Ok -> Apply
    谢谢你! 中雨被我云刀! HAHA! Kidd, do you understand what I wrote? Read it in Canto.

haha, i understand it, but some words are incorrect :P sorry for the late reply bogeyman, but it looks like fellow members helpd you out. n/m the expiry date, ive been using it for sometime now. btw, you speak canto or mandarin?
    问世间,情是何物,直教生死相许?
    Lim Yo Hwan FIGHTING!

谢谢你! 中雨被我云刀! HAHA! Kidd, do you understand what I wrote? Read it in Canto.
    Haha, I understand. 唔使客气.

But, I think this sounds better 终于畀我搵到.
    Last edited by kidd; 03-24-08 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Haha, I understand. 唔使客气.

But, I think this sounds better 终于畀我搵到.
    thats more like it
    问世间,情是何物,直教生死相许?
    Lim Yo Hwan FIGHTING!

Bought a Chinese-English dictionary for $40. It contains 3000 of the most commonly used words. Will try hard to memorize the characters...