View Poll Results: What language do you understand?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vietnamese

34 22.97%
  • Cantonese

50 33.78%
  • Mandarin

8 5.41%
  • both canto & mando

41 27.70%
  • Only English

5 3.38%
  • Others

10 6.76%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll: are you..?

Default Poll: are you..?

for reference - tv series fans, which language do you understand?
    Last edited by bnb913; 11-19-04 at 03:50 AM.

I dun really understand what you mean,
    but normally, I can understand, French, Cambodian, English and a little German.
    Idol: Liza Wang Ming Chuen
    fav drama: War of In Laws, A Matter Of Customs, ATE, Blade Heart...
    forum: http://lizawang.go-forum.net

This poll should allow people to choose more than 1 option. I understand Mandarin, Cantonese, English and Malay.

actually the poll is for tv series lovers.. so i'm interested to know how many can watch viet dubbed series, canto, mando series, and who can only watch series with eng subtitle.

Err....i couldn't decide. I understand canto and viet, though i mainly watch the series in canto.
    There is always room to smile everyday. Alternatively, you can laugh yourself silly once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    This poll should allow people to choose more than 1 option. I understand Mandarin, Cantonese, English and Malay.
    same here but if it's a canto/mandarin show i'll prefer no dubbing (cause sometimes canto show they dubb mandarin and mandarin show they dubb canto)

i'm one of the other cause i can't understand any of the language listed but i understand more then just english. you all are so lucky to be able to understand Mandarin, Cantonesen and viet. i can only understand thai and english and it's hard finding series with these language!
    I don't make my decisions fearing fate, Fate makes his.

I only watch series that have been dubbed into viet, I don't like the idea of subtitles and can only understand Viet and English. all you lucky people can understand cantonese.

I don't know what this poll is for but I understand Laotian, Thai, English, and a little Cantonese. I usually watch a series dubbed in Thai.

I normally watch Hong Kong series dubbed in Thai but I did some researches on HK entertainment business in English.

I kno Cantonese, and english (as i live in australia, and i was born in china and speak canto at home), but here in melbourne, there arent many video shops around, so i hardly get to watch tvb series.

Senior Member KennyLeeJianSiong's Avatar

I know mandarin, canto , english.

I learn canto by watching tooo many TVB series. I used to not be able to utter a word of canto because I had problems pronouncing the words, but now I can at least say a full sentence without stopping several times to think how to pronounce the canto words.
    Sam and Zoe are FOREVER and EVER!
    Please visit :Codename : Dreams|| Get TVB Theme songs here & here

Default ..

i watch in viet so sometimes i have hard time on this site but it is all good.

I can hear and speak cantonese. I can't little bit English (actually I'm learning it at school :P)
    I speak Swedish and I'm learning French
    Last edited by Gernice; 12-23-04 at 04:18 PM.

I can speak English, Singlish , Mandarin, Hokkein, Teochew, Cantonese, plus half a bucket of Malay, Tamil, Japanese (elementary stages). I don't encourage posting in other languages other than English, coz I can speak but I can't READ!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KennyLeeJianSiong
    I know mandarin, canto , english.

I learn canto by watching tooo many TVB series. I used to not be able to utter a word of canto because I had problems pronouncing the words, but now I can at least say a full sentence without stopping several times to think how to pronounce the canto words.

I thought most malaysians who are mandarin-speaking have a pretty good command of guandonghua coz all my malaysian pals can speak cantonese well. My hometown though is pretty much in the opposite direction. More fujianhua dumbbells here, and thats how singlish was created.

Paiseh, I was just being curious

Quote Originally Posted by Watchwacky
    I thought most malaysians who are mandarin-speaking have a pretty good command of guandonghua coz all my malaysian pals can speak cantonese well. My hometown though is pretty much in the opposite direction. More fujianhua dumbbells here, and thats how singlish was created.

beh an cho. this is not necessarily true. for one, my cantonese is pretty lousy. where i am from, everybody speaks hokkien and mandarin.
    褚慎明要女人, 所以鼻子同样的敏锐,他心里装满女人,研究数理逻辑的时候,看见a posteriori 那个名词会联想到posterior. 看见X记号会联想到kiss, 亏得他没细读柏拉图的Timaeus, 否则他更要对着X记号出神.-- 围城

I can speak Vietnamese and English fluently. Also a bit of Japanese as well, but it is somewhat at elementary level... I'm working on it though.

I hope to learn Cantonese soon.

well, i speak cantonese and english fluently... i can make out what someone is saying in manderin but i dont speak it well.. and i can speak and understand Spanish pretty well but i do not yet consider it fluent
    Inferno's TVB Blog - Come visit my blog with TVB series thoughts, reviews, analysis, and more!

Senior Member KennyLeeJianSiong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Watchwacky

I am hokkien.

Not all Malaysian speak cantonese. Those living in Northern Malaysia and Southern Malaysia Peninsular speaks hokkien. The southern side speak a bit of original hokkien while the Northern side speak Malaysian+hokkien+malay

As for the canto side, it is those living in Central Malaysia Peninsular that speaks canto.
    Sam and Zoe are FOREVER and EVER!
    Please visit :Codename : Dreams|| Get TVB Theme songs here & here