Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legendary Composer James Wong-Jim dies

Default Legendary Composer James Wong-Jim dies

BREAKING NEWS - Legendary composer James Wong Jim dies at 12:47am at Shatin hospital due to lung cancer. Wong was 64 years old.

COMPOSERS AND AUTHORS SOCIETY OF HONG KONG - "Mr. James Wong is acclaimed as Hong Kong's canto-pop "lyric master". Since the 1960's, James has written over 1,000 songs, his collaborations with composer Joseph Koo on numerous TV drama theme songs being the most famous. James has been in the media business for decades, and is widely known as "The Devil Genius". From writing songs, lyrics, movie scores and commercial jingles, to being a movie director, scriptwriter, stage actor, journalist, long time TV program host, and even one of the founding Directors of CASH, James has worn almost every hat there is to wear."

Source:
    http://www.hkvpradio.com/todayonhkvp/newnewsarchive.php
    What a shock..

He was a very talented song writer. I remember he wrote a bunch of songs for TVB in the 80s. Didn't he write the "Swordsman" theme song too?

Rest in piece, Uncle Jim..

I loved that guy and his rough voice. He always seemed like the nice old uncle type. He was only 64? Seemed a lot older.

Quote Originally Posted by bobo
    I loved that guy and his rough voice. He always seemed like the nice old uncle type. He was only 64? Seemed a lot older.
    Yuh, he was 64. That goes to show how much damage excessive smoking and alcohol can do to your looks. Then again, a sickly person aged faster than a healthy being.
    MooMoo Cows Can Fly.

that's pretty sad.....another talented composer gone....

Even though he suffered from the effects of smoking, I don't believe he was the type that regretted.

The Hong Kong music scene loses yet another of its brightest lights - feeling like the current wave of so-called musicians has got too much to live up to, because most aren't even credible artists worthy of cleaning the likes of Wong Jim and Roman Tam's boots.

Wong Jim
    RIP

edit. I heard he was 63, 1941-2004. seems I heard wrong, my bad
    Last edited by Charlieboy; 11-25-04 at 10:49 AM.

i was watching tv last nyt at 3:00am when i came upon the news regarding his death. i was really surprised because it seems that i've just seen him on tv sometime. isn't he the one who composed (or sang) the themesong of the movie of smiling proud wanderer (starring jet li)? and also the song of the bund? honestly i never liked his singing, but i think he's very talented in his compositions. RIP
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

He is the one who composed the theme songs for The Bund, Swordsman 1, Wong Fei Hung movies and A Chinese Ghost Story. I especially love the theme song of Swordsman 1.

Quote Originally Posted by convoy
    He is the one who composed the theme songs for The Bund, Swordsman 1, Wong Fei Hung movies and A Chinese Ghost Story. I especially love the theme song of Swordsman 1.
    He was the lyricist. He composed the lyrics. If it was his words, he'd probably say he was a bloody genius too! Lyrics just seemed to come so natural to him.
    Last edited by Charlieboy; 11-25-04 at 10:39 AM.

He was a movie director as well, though most of his movies had a nonsensical brand of humor that was strictly his. He is also an established scholar on Asian history and culture, I think he had a PHd in that or something.

and he is an old Lecher.

RIP

This is sad news My parents met him actually and they say he was really a nice person, very knowledgable and very kind.

It is sad to hear this news
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

is he the one who composed many songs of the 80s wuxia films?
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

Quote Originally Posted by cherrie
    is he the one who composed many songs of the 80s wuxia films?
    Yeas, he is. I loved his songs!

By the way, did any of you know that the actress who played the bandit queen in Eternal Happiness, Wong Yu Si, is Wong Jim's daughter?

I was just reading the paper and I saw her picture. She really looks like her mum (Wong Jim's first wife), Wah Wah.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

you mean the girl mok ka yau ended up with? really?!?! but o well, i only know her surname is wong also
    cherrie

It's been a sad few years since a lot of people I grew up listening to died. I dunno, it's like a yet another part of my childhood has died. Uncle Jim's death was especially sudden because a lot of people thought he was getting better. I had actually just gotten off the bus from Boston back to New York when my mom told me. When it comes to lyrics, no one can compare to Uncle Jim's work.

the most memorable work of his for me was the song in smiling proud wanderer. also the bund. his songs really had that wuxia and 男子氣慨 flavor. don't you think so?
    cherrie

Thumbs up

I like Ming Xing (Super Star) most. Wonderfully penned lyrics.
    Last edited by mich; 11-29-04 at 12:31 AM.
    MooMoo Cows Can Fly.

The songs I love the most from Uncle Jim are 忘盡心中情, 倆忘煙水裡, and 心債.
    The best I think out of those three is 倆忘煙水裡, the lyrics bring you into the story.

im pretty sure i've heard 倆忘煙水裡. what series used that as a themesong or subtheme?
    cherrie

Quote Originally Posted by cherrie
    im pretty sure i've heard 倆忘煙水裡. what series used that as a themesong or subtheme?

Is this one of the themes used in Demi Gods and Semi Devils 1982?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlieboy
    Is this one of the themes used in Demi Gods and Semi Devils 1982?
    Yes. It was the subtheme. Very moving tune.
    MooMoo Cows Can Fly.