Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: War Of The World 2005 [Spoiler]

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Default War Of The World 2005 [Spoiler]

Stupid alien attacking earth without getting proper vaccination. Get away from my earth - LOL

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

This is the only movie which opened with the solution to the ending, if you know what I mean. I know most people will be dissapointed with the ending because there are no Will Smith kicking the Alien @ss or big speech by the president at the end.

I think Spielberg want to honour HG Wells and use the ending of the book instead of having a full scale war with nuclear weapons or computer virus etc...

my 2 cents

It wouldn't be War of the Worlds if it hadn't ended like this.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

I like the movie. I was confused for awhile then it took about two seconds to get the ending. I think it's something new and not the same *** kicking and dramatic speeches kind of ending.
    Jason Wu Jing is HOT!!!

Wu Jing and Anita Yuen Fanfic:
    www.winglin.net/fanfic/JB (Romance)

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

I think this is the main reason why there are no alien visiting/attack/coming to earth since the start of time, they just doesn't know what kind of organism that they can't handle as earth have billions of them.

I'm now grateful to god for all this bacteria and virus around us - LOL - as long as I have the antibody for it

The ending was true to Wells, but it was so abrupt. After being chased for so long and right after meeting w/ Tim Robbins, suddenly it's over. The first hour has the greatest suspense and cinematics I've ever seen.

I tot this movie was very well done and executed. The suspence was there throughout the movie without having to resort to cheap horror movie-type gore scares and while action was kept to a minimum, it insteads make the movie more unique. Compared with Independence Day, you certainly will see alot less Alien-whoopoing in this movie but the scale of destruction is all the same. I tot the ending was a pretty interesting twist too and certainly more old-school than modern Sci-fi movies.

one local reviewer said this was a spetacular movie, nothing we ever seen before.

Smile

Just catched e movie yesterday night. It was great n in my mind i kept thinking tat tiz might hav happen 100 or 200 years later 2 us? N it oso made me reminds of The Day After Tomorrow and also Time Machine which showed e future. Anyway War of the Worlds is great but e ending is a bit spoil... like e alien suddenly dead one by one. So lame.... haizz.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoshan
    Just catched e movie yesterday night. It was great n in my mind i kept thinking tat tiz might hav happen 100 or 200 years later 2 us? N it oso made me reminds of The Day After Tomorrow and also Time Machine which showed e future. Anyway War of the Worlds is great but e ending is a bit spoil... like e alien suddenly dead one by one. So lame.... haizz.
    Why don't you go to the hospital and ask the doctor to extract all your antibodies and see how you long you can survice breathing with earth AIR -

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    Why don't you go to the hospital and ask the doctor to extract all your antibodies and see how you long you can survice breathing with earth AIR -
    Well, considering they planned this for a million years, you would've have thought a advanced race like them would prepared for this.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by douggilmour
    Well, considering they planned this for a million years, you would've have thought a advanced race like them would prepared for this.
    Well, even though they planned this for million of years they cannot anticipate earth evolution, for example why don't you check how many variance the HIV virus mutates since its first appeared.

Human survive because we evolve also at the same time creating new antibodies for new threat, but the alian planned it seems only putting the tripod at earth's core unless if they were living among us which is not the case as we can see they came though the lighting when the extermination begin....

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    Well, even though they planned this for million of years they cannot anticipate earth evolution, for example why don't you check how many variance the HIV virus mutates since its first appeared.

Human survive because we evolve also at the same time creating new antibodies for new threat, but the alian planned it seems only putting the tripod at earth's core unless if they were living among us which is not the case as we can see they came though the lighting when the extermination begin....
    Tim Robbin says and you believe him? He knows jack as much as we do and I say the aliens notice human for less than a hundred years, because longer than that they would have lost interest or they would have evolved beyond physicality or they would have simply killed off each other. I say those machines are built underground in those few minutes after the lightning strike plus some teleportation from outer space for some components they can't build right away, not planted there long ago.

Ok... above is for role-playing fun. Now imo this is better than Independence Day, although I what I really prefer is Starship Troopers 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 directed by Steven Spielberg.

There is no point to this movie but special effects and atmosphere so why not put them to good use and make a human-alien Saving Private Ryan?

omg, i just watched this movie today..and i loved iT! although i agree that the ending was kind of ...sudden. It reminded me of the ending for Signs with mel gibson. In signs, the aliens died in such a lame way. -_-. This ending was better though since the bacteria and organism stuff actually made perfect sense. Other than the ending though, i loved everything else. the suspense was awesome. and i like tom cruise in here toO. hahaha. dang..i wanna watch it again. =X

Most alient invasion movie have that concept that a common cold can kill off aliens.

War of the World is a good movie and I think it lived up to the novel it was written.
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

loved theis movie. spielberg created a very good sense of fear in my opinion.
    Formerly DuGu Qiu Bai

I thought it was a great film. Cept the ending i thought was a bit ridiculous. The aliens were said by the narator that they were superior and inteligent than mankind and u would think that they would test the atmosphere and bateria stuff before they came down. I mean scientists on earth are already testing and all that stuff to see if we could survive on mars's atmosphere

The book was written more than a century ago, and in an unprecedented and highly rare (but right) move by Hollywood movie standards, Spielberg remained faithful to the book. No Mars probe in the 19th century. Give HG Wells some slack.

Quote Originally Posted by James Ko
    Most alient invasion movie have that concept that a common cold can kill off aliens.
    Which ones come to mind? The 2 that pop up in my mind is Independence Day, which required a nuke and Signs, which requires water thrown on them (like the wicked witches in The Wizard of Oz).

My review (Spoilers ahead, read at your own risk)
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    The beginning scene was beautifully done, and the build-ups using the ligtning strike scenes were very effective, it gets you right from the start building the right momentum for what's to come in the next 20 minutes. The first appearance of the tripod was one of the best suspenseful cinematic experiences I've had in the last several years, Spielberg captured the stunning scene with just the right camera angle and techniques, not to mention the music score and sound effects were tastefully used to create the fear in you. When tripod emerged from the ground and started destroying houses and splitting up grounds, it was again visually believable and effective, and finally, when it rose above the ground, showed its real physical look, and started blasting people into dust, it has also successfully petrified the audiences. The visual effects were top notch from start to finish.

Then IMHO, It started going downhill from there.. the movie just filled with loopholes and flaws

After the multiple lightning strike scenes, every electronic gadgets and magnetic stuff became malfunction, yet the people who encountered the tripod in the opening scenes were using the digital camera and videocam to capture the moments without any problems.

It's hard for me to believe that Tom Cruise was the only person who conveniently
    had the only working car on the street, and with all the cars being dead on the road, somehow there's a tiny path from New Jersey/New York area where Tom Cruise was originally from for their van to pass through even until reach his ex Wife's house.

When the plane crashes, somehow and miraculously, it missed his van while everything else was destroyed and again, with all the destruction among them, they decided that the van should have a clear path for them to pass through. Also, when they first arrived at the house, the elecricity was on, yet no one bother to turn on the TV to find out what's going on in the news. They just decided to hide in the basement right away, how about listening to a radio ?

The river scene was beautifully done, the little girl had a great acting skills and showed tremendeous fear in her when he first saw the flowing dead bodies. But I couldn't grasp the relationship between Tom Cruise and his son, why did he suddenly become so emotional and want to go fight or join the army right away ? There's something missing and just didn't feel right, the build-up leading to this scenes weren't effective at all. I don't symphatize with his character at all, and again later when Tom Cruise finally let him go

The scene on the ferry boat was great and beautifully done, you see multiple tripods afar blasting people to dust, and the panicking crowd trying to enter the ferry, followed by the emerging of the tripods in the water. This scene and the beginning scene are the two highlights of this movie.

The scene with Tim Robbins was ok, the acting was kind of dry and but It's just weird that this high-tech machines were unable to detect the conversation between the characters when they talk super loud, and well after all, that long arm was easily be chopped off by a simple swing of an axe ???

When Tom Cruise was desperately trying to save his daughter, he was also captured by the tripod and only using a few grenates, after being pulled down by fellow helpless humans, he was able to destroyed the tripod by placing the granates inside the main control hub of the tripod. You wonder how the small grenates could cause such a huge explosion and destroyed it right away, and if the explosion was that big, no one got hurt. Wow... ! Humans rule

The scene when they arrived in Boston and figured out how to defeat the tripods were quite lame and too abruptly done. And finally when Tom Cruise arrived at his in law's house in Newburry St in Boston, they looked perfectly healthy and relax as if nothing had happened to them, maybe they've been partying all this time ? And guess what the son was alive and miraculously managed to get there first.
    Last edited by Temujin; 07-08-05 at 02:40 PM.
    - WuxiaSociety.org (formerly known as wuxiamania forum) -

----- the society of global wuxia fans ----