Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which historical event/figure would u like TVB to make into a series?

Default Which historical event/figure would u like TVB to make into a series?

TVB has produced quite a number of series based on historical event or figure in the past including Hua Tuo (father of medicine), Lady Yang, Sui Yangdi's rule and the building of grand canal, the Taiping Rebellion, Zheng Ban Qiao/Zheng Xia, Genghis Khan, Zhu Yuan Zhang(founder of Ming Dynasty) etc.

Since the history craze is still on with the success of War and Beauty and The Conqueror's Story, I would like to know, what other historical or lagendary event or figure would u like TVB to make into a series?

Currently, the 4 historical figures I want TVB to film about is:

1. Shangguan Wan Er (right hand woman of Empress Wu Ze Tian)
    2. Wang Zhao Jun (one of the 4 Great Beauties of China) - it will be better if they make a series with 4 parts, each part about 1 beauty.
    3. Emperor Wen of Han Dynasty (Han Wendi)
    4. General Yue Fei (a general in Southern Song Dynasty - that guy whose mother tattooed on his back the 4 words "Jin Zhong Bao Guo").

As for historical event, I would like TVB to make a short series about that lengthy investigation that started with 1 mere letter during the reign of Yong Zheng of Qing Dynasty. The event started with a scholar name Zhang Xi handing an anti-Machu letter to a Han general urging him to start an uprising, stating various misdeeds of the Emperor. The Han general instead handed this letter to Emperor Yongzheng, thus starting a length investigation to find the other members of the suppose rebellion and the unusual way YongZheng deal with this act of treason. Many innocent people are implicated, many lives are lost and many careers ruined. But what I most interested in is the way Emperor YongZheng handle this situation. He started a discourse through letters with the writer of the original letter Zeng Jing, refuting all the claims of his misdeed until he change the mind of Zeng Jing. He then printed the content of their dialog and handed it to all scholars and school to be read by all.
    Last edited by kidd; 12-08-04 at 06:03 AM.

I've heard that that somewhere there's already a movie/show based on that. I'm reading a book based on that event with the letter right now and it was mentioned in the introduction that there was a production before.

I'd like TVB to make another "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" series and cast Adam in the role of Lau Bei (Lau Bong's descendent LOL).
    ♥ Adam

Quote Originally Posted by enchanted_angel
    I'm reading a book based on that event with the letter right now and it was mentioned in the introduction that there was a production before.
    Is the book called Treason by the Book by Jonathan Spence? If so, how are you liking it?

On the topic, I second the suggestion about a series on Yue Fei. I have a mainland one that I haven't had a chance to watch yet, but it's only 6 episodes long.

Has there been a TVB series made about the last emperor of China yet?

The famous poets Li Bai and Qu Yuan would be interesting too.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

TVB hasn't tried making a drama about Dr. Sun Yat Sen or Mao Tse Tung yet, but both figures (especially the latter) might be too controversial to touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    TVB hasn't tried making a drama about Dr. Sun Yat Sen or Mao Tse Tung yet, but both figures (especially the latter) might be too controversial to touch.
    Zhou Enlai, Zhang Qian (Chinese explorer), not necessarily about anyone in particular, but I'd really like to see a series (any mainland, Taiwan, TVB, etc.) on the Silk Road.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    Has there been a TVB series made about the last emperor of China yet?
    Not sure about TVB, but there's one made by China starring Dayo Wong.

It would be intresting to see TVB make a series on "Empress Wu Mei Niang" - I think the last one was a really long time ago....possibly in the late 70's or 80's?
    Wanna see which actress they would pick for this role....
    **Currently Watching**
    -Lovers (Korea)
    -Maiden Wai Xai (Taiwan)
    -Air City (Korea)

Quote Originally Posted by simayee
    Zhou Enlai, Zhang Qian (Chinese explorer), not necessarily about anyone in particular, but I'd really like to see a series (any mainland, Taiwan, TVB, etc.) on the Silk Road.
    Ooooh, Zhou Enlai! Good one!

Isn't there a relatively new series out starring Nicky Wu on the Silk Road? I think it's called "Hero on the Silk Road" or something.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Not sure about TVB, but there's one made by China starring Dayo Wong.
    Ah. There's also a mainland one made awhile ago starring Chen Dao Ming.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkly_Chic
    It would be intresting to see TVB make a series on "Empress Wu Mei Niang" - I think the last one was a really long time ago....possibly in the late 70's or 80's?
    Wanna see which actress they would pick for this role....
    Here's a pretty new Wu Ze Tian series that I've hardly heard anything about: http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...c/version-all/

I'm not sure if it's a TVB production, though.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

like kidd i'll like to see a story on the 4 beauties.... the only one i dunno hte story about is Sai Xi.... onli know she's a beauty but nothing else haha

I think Maggie Cheung Ho Yee already bid herself off for the role of Empress Wu and Empress Cixi. She said it on the news once. She said 2 years ago she would like to play all three female rulers of China: Empress Lu Zhi, Empress Wu Zetian, and Empress Cixi. So far she's already conquered one. I don't think TVB is planning to do anything on Cixi yet, that's why Maggie also said in an interview War and Beauty was the closest thing to Cixi she could do. Why she all of a sudden shift gear to period series, she apparently wants to expand her market in mainland and period series, especially historical ones are valuable to mainland audiences.

That said, I actually want to see a series on the Soong sisters of Revolutionary China. It might still be a bit controversial since they were married to VIPs and all, but would be interesting to see TVB adaptation. I'd also like to see stories about Empress Wu and Empress Cixi. It seems tyranical women is "in" nowadays. War and Beauty has laid the trend.
    On October 25...
    Go back in time to the Chu-Han War

Quote Originally Posted by rourou
    like kidd i'll like to see a story on the 4 beauties.... the only one i dunno hte story about is Sai Xi.... onli know she's a beauty but nothing else haha
    Here's a short article on XiShi.

Xishi

Xishi (497 BC) was a legendary beauty of ancient China. She has been described as "equally charming in both heavy and light makeup", "as appealing when she frowns as when she smiles". Of her figure it has been said that "were she plump, you would admire her plumpness, were she thin you would admire her for being slender". She is celebrated as a woman of extraordinary natural beauty with a universal appeal. Although many have praised Xishi's looks, there is but little mention of her notable virtue - she had a great love for her country and her people.

Xishi was the daughter of a tea trader from Ningluo Mountain village in the Zhuji county in Zhejiang Province. This comprised a part of the ancient state of Yue.

When the state of Yue was vanquished by the state of Wu, the King of Yue, Gou Jian was forced to serve the Prince of Wu for three years. On his release, King Gou Jian slept on brushwood and drank gall before each meal to remind himself of the humiliation his country had suffered. He commissioned men to search far and wide for a woman whom he could send as a tribute to Prince Fuchai of Wu. Xishi, whose beauty was much talked of even from early childhood, was selected for this task and sent to the capital.

King Gou Jian approved of the choice and had Xishi dressed in fine robes. He had her trained in royal court etiquette. Gou Jian ordered his minister Fan Li to take Xishi to the Prince of Wu as a tribute gift from Yue. During the journey, Xishi fell deeply in love with the wise minister. Fan Li also grew to admire this courageous lady who was willing to give her life for her country. Consequently, before they parted, they made a secret pledge of undying love.

They arrived at the capital of Wu and the prince welcomed Xishi with open arms. He was enchanted by her appearance and doted on her. Gradually he began to neglect his political duties, preferring to idle away his time with Xishi. He frequently took her out on carriage rides to the noisy and prosperous sections of the city. On these rides, he liked to boast to those around him that he had won the heart of the most beautiful woman in the world. He would add: "If you want to look at her, you'll have to present me with some gold coins!" In this way, he also managed to enrich his coffers.

Xishi, however, never lost sight of her mission. Her aim was to bewitch the Prince of Wu so that his subjects would grow restless and his friends would desert him. The political chaos that ensued would enable the King of Yue to invade the state of Wu, recompensing him for his former humiliation.

Heaven grants the wishes of men. The King of Yue finally annexed the state of Wu. Following the death of Prince Fuchai of Wu, Xishi disappeared from public life. She lived in relative obscurity with Fan Li who became a successful trader.

This story is unique in the history of feudal China as no one has ever found fault with Xishi, even though she had caused the downfall of the state of Wu.

Source: The four most beautiful women in the ancient China

There's a Xi Shi series by ATV. I don't know the name of the woman that played Xi Shi, but Poon Chi Mun (Duan Zhengchun in DGSD96) played Prime Minister Fan Li.

They also has a Lady Yang series with Anne Heung, but that sucked so bad.

An Yue Fei (Ngok Fei) series would be cool.

Perhaps TVB, if they still aren't banned from JY Novels and works....they could try doing the adaptations of Sword of the Yueh Maiden and A White Horse Neighing At the West Wind.

I'd like to see the series' that most of y'all listed. Esp Kidd's suggestion. TV Series made based on Historical events and people would prove to be quite intriguing and fresh to audience if done accurately and without any miscast.

TVB should make some tv series with impact like the Japanese-Chinese war or something like what ATV had done...but really...I think it would be a great idea for TVB to go further in doing historical ones. Those teenybopper tv series are really boring and EVEN the occupational tv series could get redundant and blah.

With historical ones...they can really peak people's interest in China's history and more money for them.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

How about Princess Wen Cheng who was married off to the Tibetan ruler? Eh I don't remember but there is a Taiwanese or Mainland series on that already but still TVB should try new stuff.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 12-10-04 at 11:46 PM.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Yeah, Princess Wen Cheng would be a good story too. I good resourceful woman who contribute a lot to the tribe she was married into and life a fruitful life. I also would like TVB to do a story about Empress Deng Sui. This Empress Dowager Deng is too little known compared to her counterparts Empress Dowager Cixi and Empress Dowager Lu. She should get some sportlight too. She has done some ruthless things to maintain her power as regent too, but on the whole she was known as a virtuous Empress. The woman was so dedicated that her hair turned grey when she was only 30 due to overwork.

I'm a bit tired of the ocupational series too. This kind of series is too overdone already. I wish TVB will go back to doing to good 'Blood of Good And Evil' and 'Cold Blood Warm Heart' series.

After reading this article - The hunks of history, I would like TVB to do a compilation series about the handsome guys in ancient china too. But then, TVB will have trouble finding suitable actors to do these roles. There are not many truely handsome guys under TVB now, although there quite a number of above average ones. They can't use Kevin Cheng and Mark Kwok to do all the roles.

Thumbs up

Kidd, If you're a fan of Derek Kwok Jing Hung, to his fan's he's nicknamed Handsome Brother . So he could play one of the handsome guys. Adam Cheng can be one of the handsome actors too...he has aged very well too. Unlike Damien Lau and all his wrinkles...Adam Cheng has managed to slow down his aging progression.

If TVB could get Adam Cheng, Derek Kwok, Kevin Cheng, Mark Kwok, Roger Kwok, Joe Ma, Sunny Chan, Michael Tong, Savio Tsang (he's aged a little too but in the 90s tv series--I think he's handsome), Eddie Cheung, throw in Gilbert Lam and Chin Siu Ho then uhh...let's see who else have I left off...umm...eh ok..well just to name a few that can play in THAT handsome men of China TV Series...that would be neat...LOL!
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 12-11-04 at 12:24 AM.

Haha, Suet Seung. You got 1 right already. Gilbert Lam has actually played 1 of the cute guys. He played Chen Ping in The Conquerer's Story.

TVB could also make a series about Chinese fairytales and folk tales since they've already done the story of Weaver Maiden and Ox Boy, they can explore and make those series about those stories too but then that wouldn't pertain to the topic of historical events and people.

Perhaps they could...uh...make a series about how life was for HK people after the 1997 event of the British handling HK back to the Chinese government. Like the movie the Chinese Box and explore the affects on HK. But maybe that's too touchy for TVB?