Thread: 5 Peak Alliance swordplay characteristics

Default 5 Peak Alliance swordplay characteristics

Did JY elaborate on the qualitative differences between the sword styles used by the schools of the 5 Peak Alliance in XAJH (SoD)?

After reading about Mo Da, head of HengShan and the description of Bai Huan Qian Bian Heng Shan Yun Wu Shisan Shi (translated by Lanny Land as Magical Thirteen Phantom Stances of Hengshan or by Temujin as Hundred Changes Thousand Illusions Mt. Heng Cloud Mist Thirteen Stances) this got me thinking.

If the 13 stances captures the essence of HengShan swordplay, then fast, complicated and unpredictable moves are the key features of their swordplay. Though I'm sure that this observation is much too limited.

CFT,

If you read over the chapter in Lanny's translation about when LHC found the cave with all the 5 school's technioques, and then about his fight with Tian Bao Gong, you will be able to learn all the other characteristics of the other schools.

You are right about the hengshan, The other Heng-Shan focused more on formation fighting, Song Shan uses broad sword with blunt edges, emphasizing inner energy and resourcefulness, Tai Shan swords are stable, orthodox, and also forceful. Huashan as you know are separated into 2 factions. The original Huashan characteristic were never displayed in the novel.

Han Solo

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

in a non-wuxia martial arts book describing the origin of matial arts i read, haushan focus is on the 'three hau's' or 'three splendours'. their sword , fist and qi was mentioned as three principle skills of haushan, the three hau's refer to body, qi and 'mind'(not sure on 'mind'), they focus on combining all three hau's.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Thanks for the pointers.

Songshan: many different types of swords. The style of Songshan swordplay is characterized by long, grand and powerful movements, described like "A flying dragon coiling in the outer skies" or "A massive army raging on the battlefield".

Huashan: normal longsword. Complex and ever-changing swordplay, described as a "Swallow flying in across a forest", elegant and agile.

Taishan: uses heavy, blunt swords. Emphasises power and stability.

Southern Hengshan: Narrow swords. Swift, deceiving and cunning. Extremely unpredictable.

Northern Hengshan: short swords. Soft, defensive style, like a "Needle wrapped inside a cotton cloth".
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

but when they all meets taichi sword , DG9S , condor sword , they all sucks

Default Correction

Taishan: their swords were not totally blunt

Northern Hengshan: they used normal longswords, not short swords (I was thinking about the TV-series)
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

any similarities between the 5 sect's skills?
    TaZzY InC

i posted about haushan before, made an error on the meaning of the three hau's.in a non-wuxia martial arts book describing the origin of matial arts i read, haushan focus is on the 'three hau's' or 'three splendours'. their sword , fist and qi was mentioned as three principle skills of haushan, the three hau's refer to jing(essence), qi(life force) and shen(spirit), they focus on combining all three hau's.

also kong tong sect is known for their hau(variation)quan boxing[in real life this skill has been passed down], {which uses emotions in fighting( sadness, joy, anger, fear)kinda like sad plams}

e-mei has a move 'zhaun zhu kills liao' which is a fast 'n' furious straight thrust from a half kneelning position throwing your self forward. it's very powerful.

shaolin's 'yiyinji' is actually "the sinew transforming art" , the 'xisuiji' is the "marrow cleansing art" but it was lost after his disiple hui kui (who inheirted it) died. a point, from an independent source, i found out shaolin's buddhist philosohy was created from indian buddhism, taoism and confusiousim philosophy. the martial arts of shaolin also was created by damo combining indian 'kailpayat'(yoga and prana{qi breating exercise}+bramastra(pressure points hitting)+karate{empty hands and 18 weapons}) martial arts with taoist martial arts and confusion(battle and formation{sun zu's strategy influenced}). the 'xisuiji' may have a more taoist influence as it starts from inside the body to out then outside the body to in. indian yoga starts from external practise to internal which shaolin follows while taoist starts from internal practise to external(like wudang) 9yang may be jin yong's version of 'xisuiji' or a derived skill from it(taoist influenced).

how many sects are there total in wuxia anyway, i mean those on mountains, not those last a few generation only.

is dianchang another name for one of the five sects?

Quote Originally Posted by kyss of the sword
    is dianchang another name for one of the five sects?
    I doubt it. I've never seen Dian Chang mentioned in any of JY's novels. I believe Dian Chang was a sect which comprised mainly of rich people fancying themselves as swordsmen and wanting to taste the life of being a pugilist.