View Poll Results: Guo Jing is ....

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely the best for Huang Rong!

63 52.94%
  • Huang Rong's the best choice at that time.

14 11.76%
  • Good enough for her.

8 6.72%
  • He just had a lot of luck!

28 23.53%
  • Strongly disagree!

4 3.36%
  • Other opinion, please write down.

2 1.68%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Is Guo Jing the most suitable lover/husband to Huang Rong?

Banned

Default Was Kwee Ceng the best man for Oey Yong?

Was Kwee Ceng the best man for Oey Yong?

Was Kwee Ceng the best man for Oey Yong?
    What???

Who da heck are they..

w/o HR and GJ...there would be no GX.

/me drools @ yang mi

lmao

Quote Originally Posted by QF
    What???

Who da heck are they..
    That would be Guo Jing and Huang Rong, which is why his topic for merged into this one.

tropical country Singapore :D banana country

Quote Originally Posted by Swordwiz
    That would be Guo Jing and Huang Rong, which is why his topic for merged into this one.
    lol....do they suit very well?i dont really think they do but well huang rong was a good choice just that both r sostrong willed
    lollipops&raindrops (:

'love me for me' ;D
    'you make me smile'
    'i love you, you idiot' o.0
    FEEL THE LOVE <3

I think their contrasting personalities (and intelligence) made them an excellent pair.. So yeah..

Yes, dispite their large differences, I believe they fit each other rather well as a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by QF
    What???

Who da heck are they..
    Kwee Cheng = Guo Jing in Hokkienese (Fujian dialect)
    Oey Yong = Huang Rong in Hokkienese (Fujian dialect)
    - WuxiaSociety.org (formerly known as wuxiamania forum) -

----- the society of global wuxia fans ----

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin
    Kwee Cheng = Guo Jing in Hokkienese (Fujian dialect)
    Oey Yong = Huang Rong in Hokkienese (Fujian dialect)
    I thought it was French for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    I thought it was French for a while...
    Nope, it's Hokkienese, all wuxia novels (and subtitles of TVB 80s series) published in Indonesia had the character names translated into hokkienese romanization, the same thing with name of places, cities, and martial arts terms.

Further examples :

Yo Ko - Yang Guo
    Siaw Long Lie - Xiao Long Nu
    Oey Yuk Su - Huang Yaoshi
    Thio Bu ki - Zhang Wuji
    Thio Sam Hong - Zhang Sanfeng

Hmmm. Maybe you can help us figure out what's going on here, then.
    Honestly, I have never heard of Ao Bao Lu and Xong Xit Long, not as Hokkienese names of JY characters

It does sound like he was talking about Ouyang Feng and Hong QiGong. Notice the similarities but it's definitely NOT Hokkienese, not the romanization that I know, since there's no such thing as 'x' in 'xong' or 'x' in 'xit' i think only pinyin use 'x' in the romanization, so maybe it's some other language or dialect

Ouyang Feng is Ouwyang Hong in Hokkienese
    Hong QiGong is An Citkong in Hokkienese.

i think they fit perfectly well together...
    lol xxx...
    I <3 alyssa chia!!!

This should help with name... but it's only for the LoCH/RoCH/HSDS. And if I could put them in colums I would, but for now you'll have to count down the names by number.

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=16452
    Last edited by Da Bao; 06-25-06 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Waste of space
    有缘千里来相会
    无缘对面手难牵

Although I like Guo Jing very much, I think he was NOT deserved Huang Rong.
    With her incredible beauty and intelligence, if she was born in a more suitable time, she would have became the wife of a 1 shang shu (minister of a ministry in the feudal China), 1 zhang yuan, or even became a queen.

Poor Huang Rong, she did not have much choices. In LOCH, all the men who were around her age were very mediocre.

Guo Jing was just the BEST choice among them, NOT the BEST for Huang Rong.

Not only was Guo Jing not handsome and intelligent, he also did not love Huang Rong as she loved him.

In LOCH, he began to find Huang Rong only after Hua Zheng caused his mom's death, and when Huang Rong advised him to seclude from Jiang hu to live a peaceful life in Peach Blossom Island, he insisted on protecting the Northern Song kingdom.

In ROCH, I really felt disappointed with Guo Jing at the times when he tried to chop off Guo Fu's arm, refused to leave Xiang Yang to find Guo Xiang, regarless of Huang Rong's begs. And when he placed the COUNTRY ABOVE Huang Rong, I really got angry. What place did Huang Rong have in his heart? Just the second.

Honestly, though I hate Yang Guo to the bone, I must admit that he was a PERFECT boyfriend of all time. To him, nothing can compare to his lover.
    Last edited by RongYingMin; 11-19-06 at 03:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RongYingMin
    Although I like Guo Jing very much, I think he was NOT deserved Huang Rong.
    It's not a matter of "Who deserved whom?" It's a matter of "Did they enjoy being together?" The answer is unequivocably "yes."

With her incredible beauty and intelligence, if she was born in a more suitable time, she would have became a wife of a 1 shang shu (minister of a ministry in the feudal China), 1 zhang yuan, or even a queen.
    But did she want it? Like few other female characters in wuxia fiction, Wong Yung was truly a self-made woman: she was what she wanted to be. Her life wasn't manipulated by the men she was close to (i.e. her father, her teacher, and her husband); she voluntarily decided that she wanted to share in their goals.

Poor Huang Rong, she did not have much choices. In LOCH, all the men who was around her age were very mediocre.
    I'll bet you that even during the 13th Century, there were several hundred million people living in China, approximately half of which were men. Now Wong Yung couldn't have met most of them (how many of us meet several hundred million people in a lifetime?), but from among those whom she did meet, she *chose* Gwok Jing to be the one. Why him? Because she had been looking for someone just like him.

Guo Jing was just the BEST choice among them, NOT the BEST for Huang Rong.
    Well, "Mom/Dad," what kind of man do you think is best for Wong Yung? Remember, she CHOSE Gwok Jing. East Heretic Wong Yerk See threatened to set her up with some guy of his choosing. Had her father been the one to make the choice, he would likely have picked some guy who was handsome, powerful, and intelligent...you know, a Yeung Hong/Yeung Gor type. But Wong Yung wasn't interested in those types. If she were, she could have just married Au Yeung Hak.

Not only was Guo Jing not handsome
    I didn't know Wong Yung was the superficial type.

and intelligent,
    Wong Yung and a comparably intelligent man would not have made for a happy couple. They'd be too suspicious of each other: See Central Divinity Wong Chung Yeung and Ancient Tomb Sect Founder Lam Chiu Ying.

he also did not love Huang Rong as she loved him.
    I call B.S. on that. To young Gwok Jing, nothing was more important than fidelity to his teachers, but he defied them for the first and only time in his life when he chose to go with Wong Yung rather than obey their orders for him to stop associating with that "little witch girl." He even went back on his word of commitment to Princess Hua Jeng...an extraordinary departure from character for the normally steadfast Gwok Jing. He would not have done it had he not treasured Wong Yung.

In LOCH, he found Huang Rong only after Hua Zheng caused his mom's death,
    Gwok Jing thought Wong Yung was *dead* at the time, and he swore never to marry if Wong Yung were dead.

and when Huang Rong advised him to seclude from Jiang hu to live a peaceful live in Peach Blossom Island, he insisted on protecting the Northern Song kingdom.
    It's *Southern* Sung, and I wouldn't have much respect for a man, much less one known and celebrated for being a hero, who lets thousands if not millions die just for his personal romance. There are more important priorities in the world than cuddling up with your snookum...especially if one has the power to make a difference.

"With great power comes great responsibility..." Uncle Ben Parker.

In ROCH, I really felt disappointed with Guo Jing at the times when he tried to chop off Guo Fu's arm
    But she deserved it, didn't she? I dislike Yeung Gor and I actually feel kind of sorry for Gwok Fu, but she did deserve to be punished. Gwok Jing wasn't wrong for the impulse to cut her arm off; if he is to be criticized in this matter, he should be criticized for not ultimately following through with it.

refused to leave Xiang Yang to find Guo Xiang. And when he placed the COUNTRY ABOVE Huang Rong, I really got angry.
    Yeah, because thousands or even millions of people, many of whom also love each other very much, aren't as important as ONE woman.

Honestly, though I hate Yang Guo to the bone, I must admit that he was a PERFECT boyfriend of all time. To him, nothing can compare to his lover.
    Which is one of the main reasons I can't stand him.

I believe them to be a perfect match. There's been a theory floating around stating that a person is made with empty holes and these voids are filled when you find your true love. Gwok Jing and Wong Yung fills each other's voids perfectly. What one doesn't have the other does.

I believe Wong Yung was someone who was insecure and what better person to find for security than Gwok Jing. Someone who will endlessly love Wong Yung, stay truthful and honest, never change and by the end of LOCH, a pretty good fighter for security purposes literally.

It's not a matter of "Who deserved whom?" It's a matter of "Did they enjoy being together?" The answer is unequivocably "yes."
    It's a matter of both. Would they deserve each other if they didn't enjoy being together?

But did she want it? Like few other female characters in wuxia fiction, Wong Yung was truly a self-made woman: she was what she wanted to be. Her life wasn't manipulated by the men she was close to (i.e. her father, her teacher, and her husband); she voluntarily decided that she wanted to share in their goals.
    Actually, she didn't really want to be H7G's successor.

I'll bet you that even during the 13th Century, there were several hundred million people living in China, approximately half of which were men. Now Wong Yung couldn't have met most of them (how many of us meet several hundred million people in a lifetime?), but from among those whom she did meet, she *chose* Gwok Jing to be the one. Why him? Because she had been looking for someone just like him.
    She'd been looking for someone who'd give the Red Blood Horse to her, because she knew she'd fall for someone who wouldn't turn down her request when he was supposed to.

Well, "Mom/Dad," what kind of man do you think is best for Wong Yung? Remember, she CHOSE Gwok Jing. East Heretic Wong Yerk See threatened to set her up with some guy of his choosing. Had her father been the one to make the choice, he would likely have picked some guy who was handsome, powerful, and intelligent...you know, a Yeung Hong/Yeung Gor type. But Wong Yung wasn't interested in those types. If she were, she could have just married Au Yeung Hak.
    GJ was the best there is among all the guys including the "handsome, powerful, and intelligent" ones like Yang Kang and Ouyang Ke. But he could have done better for her, which he didn't.

I didn't know Wong Yung was the superficial type.
    It's human nature to be superficial and materialistic sometimes, and HR showed very clearly that she was capable of that. (Not that this has anything to do with why HR chose GJ though.)

Wong Yung and a comparably intelligent man would not have made for a happy couple. They'd be too suspicious of each other: See Central Divinity Wong Chung Yeung and Ancient Tomb Sect Founder Lam Chiu Ying.
    So that means opposites complement each other, then. And so Mohandas Ghandi should have married Wu Zetian while Martin Luther King should have married Cleopatra. And oh yes, Mother Teresa should have married Hitler while Zhuge Liang should have 'brokebacked' with Liu Shan.

I call B.S. on that. To young Gwok Jing, nothing was more important than fidelity to his teachers, but he defied them for the first and only time in his life when he chose to go with Wong Yung rather than obey their orders for him to stop associating with that "little witch girl." He even went back on his word of commitment to Princess Hua Jeng...an extraordinary departure from character for the normally steadfast Gwok Jing. He would not have done it had he not treasured Wong Yung.
    But that's still not enough. I repeat that he could've done better.

Gwok Jing thought Wong Yung was *dead* at the time, and he swore never to marry if Wong Yung were dead.
    Again I say that GJ could have done better.

It's *Southern* Sung, and I wouldn't have much respect for a man, much less one known and celebrated for being a hero, who lets thousands if not millions die just for his personal romance. There are more important priorities in the world than cuddling up with your snookum...especially if one has the power to make a difference.

"With great power comes great responsibility..." Uncle Ben Parker.
    Glad you remember that. Don't forget, you're the Super Moderator®...

But she deserved it, didn't she? I dislike Yeung Gor and I actually feel kind of sorry for Gwok Fu, but she did deserve to be punished. Gwok Jing wasn't wrong for the impulse to cut her arm off; if he is to be criticized in this matter, he should be criticized for not ultimately following through with it.
    RYM could also have meant that she's disappointed that GJ didn't/couldn't do it, is it not? (Though I doubt so.)

Yeah, because thousands or even millions of people, many of whom also love each other very much, aren't as important as ONE woman.
    Men and women are equal, right? So one man's life is not worth sacrificing millions, right? So if GWM had captured 100 ordinary women as well as GJ, and tell you that you can only save either but not both, who do you save? On one hand you have 100 hapless women (who can't help protect XY anyway) and on the other you have GJ who's just worth one man's life. Who do you save? Come on, you can only choose one, who do you save?
    Last edited by IcyFox; 11-19-06 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IcyFox
    It's a matter of both. Would they deserve each other if they didn't enjoy being together?
    What are you asking here? It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the point I made.

Actually, she didn't really want to be H7G's successor.
    No, but she had the right to say no and chose not to. Of her own free will, Wong Yung decided that she wanted to fulfill her teacher's wishes, even if she didn't originally have any aspirations to be the Beggar's Union Chief.

She'd been looking for someone who'd give the Red Blood Horse to her, because she knew she'd fall for someone who wouldn't turn down her request when he was supposed to.
    I'd say she found her man.

GJ was the best there is among all the guys including the "handsome, powerful, and intelligent" ones like Yang Kang and Ouyang Ke. But he could have done better for her, which he didn't.
    Like how? Let's hear some reasonable examples.

It's human nature to be superficial and materialistic sometimes, and HR showed very clearly that she was capable of that. (Not that this has anything to do with why HR chose GJ though.)
    Nothing whatsoever, so this point is moot.

So that means opposites complement each other, then. And so Mohandas Ghandi should have married Wu Zetian while Martin Luther King should have married Cleopatra. And oh yes, Mother Teresa should have married Hitler while Zhuge Liang should have 'brokebacked' with Liu Shan.
    Using the most extreme and outlandish possible examples doesn't really help your counterargument. Wong Yung was looking for a partner she could trust, which pretty much precluded the possibility of hooking up with a man as crafty as she was. That wasn't what she was in the market for. For reasons that only Wong Yung herself truly understood, she wasn't impressed with characters such as Yeung Hong or Au Yeung Hak, but became attached to Gwok Jing.

But that's still not enough. I repeat that he could've done better.
    And I say you still need to provide a concrete, reasonable example.

Again I say that GJ could have done better.
    Example?

Don't forget, you're the Super Moderator®...
    This again. What does my being Moderator have to do with this topic?

RYM could also have meant that she's disappointed that GJ didn't/couldn't do it, is it not? (Though I doubt so.)
    Rong didn't say that.

Men and women are equal, right? So one man's life is not worth sacrificing millions, right? So if GWM had captured 100 ordinary women as well as GJ, and tell you that you can only save either but not both, who do you save?
    You'd save the women. That's what Gwok Jing would order his subordinates to do. He was prepared to lose his life for the people of Seung Yeung and beyond and ultimately, that's what he did. Strategically, it'd be a bit unwise because the defenders would be losing their biggest stalwart (which would really be regrettable down the line), but it's also what Gwok Jing would likely decide to do because in his order of priorities, saving lives always came first.

On one hand you have 100 hapless women (who can't help protect XY anyway) and on the other you have GJ who's just worth one man's life. Who do you save? Come on, you can only choose one, who do you save?
    Whatever it took, Gwok Jing would not let those women die, and neither would his subordinates if they respected his wishes (but they might not). A pragmatist would save Gwok Jing in anticipation of future struggles, but Gwok Jing was always more idealist than pragmatist; most wuxia heroes are.

Yes, I believe GJ is the most suitable husband for HR. HR fell in love with GJ because GJ is a guy she can trust; She was a dirty beggar when they met but GJ treated her with kindness and friendship. GJ on the other hand felt HR's presence is something he is very comfortable with; Later he found out that what he feels for HR is something much more special. They are a very good match for each other. The only thing wrong about their union is their 2 useless offsprings except the lovable GX.