View Poll Results: Guo Jing is ....

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely the best for Huang Rong!

63 52.94%
  • Huang Rong's the best choice at that time.

14 11.76%
  • Good enough for her.

8 6.72%
  • He just had a lot of luck!

28 23.53%
  • Strongly disagree!

4 3.36%
  • Other opinion, please write down.

2 1.68%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Is Guo Jing the most suitable lover/husband to Huang Rong?

Quote Originally Posted by IcyFox
    Anyway, good game, Ken.
    *Sheathes the Sword of Reason.*

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    *Sheathes the Sword of Reason.*
    *May we meet again.*

(If you wish we could continue this via PM so as not to hijack this thread. )

I also think that Guo Jing was the absolute best for Huang Rong! Their personalities really complemented each other so well and they indeed made such a great couple.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    maybe zwj should be more suitable for hr. i personally think that zwj will be more happy with hr than zm now on the island of ice and fire. at least, hr can cook WELL. hehe.
    Revisiting my own post, if I were to be zwj and am fine with hr or zm, I will go for hr since hr can possibly cook better than zm. Food is important for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yang Ming View Post
    Why do you think Zhang Wu Ji should be more suitable for Huang Rong?
    It would be good when you write your opinion in detail.
    What you've sad is Zhang Wu Ji will be more happy with Huang Rong than Zhao Min, not Zhang Wu Ji should be more suitable for Huang Rong.
    Interesting observation. Sorry to have missed this. GJ is more suitable for HR. In that opposite poles (GJ = not very clever while HR = clever) attract.

I saw this thread a few days ago, then I read Demi-Gods, Semi-Devils today, it occurs to me that if couting all characters in Jin Yong's world, then Xiao Feng probably the most suitable for HR. HR fell for Guo Jing because of his generousity and his loyalty, Xiao Feng had all of that as well. Furthermore, XF is talented, charismatic, and wise, things that any woman would fall for. He also put up with A Zi antics, and accepted help from A Zhu. So it's not like he has nothing that HR can complement him. With someone like XF, HR certainly can't call him dummy, she would have a lot of respect for him, feel safe with him, on the other hand, she certainly can help him with things that need finesse instead of brute strength, and would certainly make his life a lot nicer. In short, HR would fit a more traditional wife role with XF then with Guo Jing, where she's more of a brain.

Quote Originally Posted by hoatran View Post
    I saw this thread a few days ago, then I read Demi-Gods, Semi-Devils today, it occurs to me that if couting all characters in Jin Yong's world, then Xiao Feng probably the most suitable for HR. HR fell for Guo Jing because of his generousity and his loyalty, Xiao Feng had all of that as well. Furthermore, XF is talented, charismatic, and wise, things that any woman would fall for. He also put up with A Zi antics, and accepted help from A Zhu. So it's not like he has nothing that HR can complement him. With someone like XF, HR certainly can't call him dummy, she would have a lot of respect for him, feel safe with him, on the other hand, she certainly can help him with things that need finesse instead of brute strength, and would certainly make his life a lot nicer. In short, HR would fit a more traditional wife role with XF then with Guo Jing, where she's more of a brain.
    i kinda think part of the main appeal of guojing is that hes dumb. huangrong isn't the kind who enjoyed dealing with brains, she like to 'manipulate' her husband to give in to her sort...so guojing's just the right guy.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucre View Post
    i kinda think part of the main appeal of guojing is that hes dumb. huangrong isn't the kind who enjoyed dealing with brains, she like to 'manipulate' her husband to give in to her sort...so guojing's just the right guy.
    Me thinks just about any woman with half a brain can manipulate a man. Just read about the Ma deputy chief's wife who destroyed Xiao Feng's life, but still managed to get Xiao Feng to hold and look into her eyes while she was dying, or A Zhu who persuaded Xiao Feng to agree to go to the border region with her, or A Zhi who created head aches after head aches for Xiao Feng. This show that Xiao Feng is very "manipulable". On the other hand, I don't think HR likes to manipulate the one she loved, but even if she does, I think a smart woman would like the challenge to manipulate a smart man, than a dumb one. HR likes to debate with Zhu Ziliu, and tolerated Lu Youjiao slowness when she tried to teach him the Dog Beating technique, but would rather just write down the instruction for Lu to learn if she was allowed to. Now if you think HR would rather be with someone whom she can totally control, then that's different. Yang Guo is also totally loyal, generous, and fun. But he's too unpredictable for HR. Xiao Feng on the other hand, is he predictable? He seems so. Little less than Guo Jing, but a lot more predictable than Yang Guo

Me thinks just about any woman with half a brain can manipulate a man. Just read about the Ma deputy chief's wife who destroyed Xiao Feng's life, but still managed to get Xiao Feng to hold and look into her eyes while she was dying, or A Zhu who persuaded Xiao Feng to agree to go to the border region with her, or A Zhi who created head aches after head aches for Xiao Feng. This show that Xiao Feng is very "manipulable". On the other hand, I don't think HR likes to manipulate the one she loved, but even if she does, I think a smart woman would like the challenge to manipulate a smart man, than a dumb one. HR likes to debate with Zhu Ziliu, and tolerated Lu Youjiao slowness when she tried to teach him the Dog Beating technique, but would rather just write down the instruction for Lu to learn if she was allowed to. Now if you think HR would rather be with someone whom she can totally control, then that's different. Yang Guo is also totally loyal, generous, and fun. But he's too unpredictable for HR. Xiao Feng on the other hand, is he predictable? He seems so. Little less than Guo Jing, but a lot more predictable than Yang Guo
    well, its just my personal opinion. i thought perhaps HR had a 'dumb' fetish.

well, i do. for me, smart people can only be 'friends'. =p
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucre View Post
    well, its just my personal opinion. i thought perhaps HR had a 'dumb' fetish.
    well, i do. for me, smart people can only be 'friends'. =p
    Ha.. ha... dumb fetish? That's kind of ... dumb! But I agree, smart people are usually complicated and unpredictable. Dumb people on the other hand is usually no fun. But generousity, loyalty, faithfulness are priceless, and are appreciated by many, I guess HR included. Throw in the intelligence, that's just icing on the cake. If not, well, Madame Guo sounds pretty good too...!

Being brave and selfless and the other qualities that Guo Jing had suited his time period a bit more than modern society. The common belief is that people like him usually wind up sleeping on the streets unless they're incredibly lucky in their career and love lives nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Being brave and selfless and the other qualities that Guo Jing had suited his time period a bit more than modern society. The common belief is that people like him usually wind up sleeping on the streets unless they're incredibly lucky in their career and love lives nowadays.
    I'm not sure generous and loyal are the same thing as brave and selfless. Generous means you are willing to share, and to forgive. and loyal means you don't change your preference much. These are the qualities that tend to attract people in love. Can you be loyal but no so brave? Wei Xiaobao seems to be very loyal, but was he brave? One of his ladies, Fang Yi seemed to stayed loyal to his love, but was not brave enough to resist the death threat to not go along with the Dragon sect to capture Wei Xiaobao. Similarly, generous is one thing, if Guo Jing is totally selfless, would he fight for Huang Rong against the wishes of his 7 teachers? And which man or woman would love his/her lover to go around and sacrifice his/her life for others all the time? I think you would need at least some selfishness to try to hold on to your lover.

And in my experience, the loyal and generous types usually just lead a quiet lives, and could also be quite boring. They tend to stay with one spouse, stay in one house, keep the same job, drive the same car ... They give, and maybe active in their community, charity, volunteering. But they usually just mix in with others. They don't stand out that much.

Aside from HR's first meeting with GJ (more like a prank), I don't think there were too many cases where she was manipulating him. None of the early stuff come across well in the adaptations, but they had very sweet moments and a lot of fun together in the book (i.e. teaching GJ how to swim, hunting, cooking, roaming to new places).

HR grew up on an island so even though she liked excitement I am sure she is pretty happy even in quiet existence. I see no evidence that she actually likes to host big parties and influence people for her own gain. She also likes attention which is no problem for GJ as he kinda has one track mind and not many friends.

I don't think XF would be great for HR because he would
    1) take care of/hang out with his boys (he is a guy's guy afterall)
    2) likes to drink and socialize (comes with running Beggar's Union then the Khitan army)
    3) always on a mission

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    3) always on a mission
    Yup! That's what heroes do. Guo Jing is probably one of the few who is a hero but likes to stay home with the wife. But they had to move to Xiang Jiang from HR's home of Peach Blossom island. Xiao Feng on the other hand said it was boring in Nanking. I wonder if he still feel boring with A Zhu with him. After all he said he would go to the outside border region to hunt and to raise cattle with A Zhu.

Xiao Feng on the other hand said it was boring in Nanking. I wonder if he still feel boring with A Zhu with him. After all he said he would go to the outside border region to hunt and to raise cattle with A Zhu.
    Xiao Feng keeps on repeating that he wants to retreat to a quiet life but I always felt it was like how modern people say they want to move to quiet town in Florida when they retire. Then they retire but run around looking for part time jobs or spend all their time annoying their spouse.

GJ/HR on the other hand really did enjoy their quiet hidden moments. They always got dragged into fights or defending the country.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    There's just something about GJ. He's not suppose to be the good-looking one, but he's the biggest stud in LOCH! I mean he had so many girls going after him - HR, Huazheng, Qin Nan Qin (existed only in 1st ed), that Cheng girl (can't remember her name). Plus the richest, sassiest and most eligible girl in the trilogy, HR, so crazy over him that she checked on Bao Xiruo for 'competition' and beat up MNC. YK is suppose to be the handsome one but only had 1 girl after him (MNC).

At first Huang Rong may seem completely superior to Guo Jing, since she is beautiful and insanely clever, whereas he is dumb and not handsome. However, she is also selfish and he is generous and always compassionate. Huang Rong was also cruel enough to threaten to kill Mu Nianci if the latter tries to get married to Guo Jing like their parents agreed. Fortunately Nianci liked Yang Kang and not Guo Jing. If one could overlook her extreme beauty and intelligence, it might be possible to ask if Huang Rong is suitable for such a kind, endearing guy like Guo Jing.