Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Grand Canal 《大運河》 (1987)

Can someone translate me the grand canal theme song plz b/c i don't understand cantonese!!

Thanks!!!

I would love to know what the themesong is saying too.
    If I had to guess, I would say it had something to do with BROTHERHOOD and LOVE and PRIDE.
    LOVE is the sourse of all INSPIRATION.

LIU YI FEI <3

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    really? I liked LSM and MArgie.. But i guess the main story focuses on TOny and Idy , therefore they got the most screen time.

for LSM and Margie, well... I really like the scenes they were with each other. He loved her, but she had the hots for Tony at first. He always pretends he is ok but still acts jealous. It's just funny that he is really intelligent and very cunning, yet, he can't do anything about Margie. He always goes along with what she says.

i must agree with you...i was cursing the scriptwriters for not giving sean and margie more screen time together...here we have this great prince who was head over heels in love with the darling mischievous brat...i was jumping for joy when margie realized that she had fallen for sean (who truly and surely deserve her love)...very well done despite the little time given to them compared to tony and idy (who was also really cute but gotta give the edge to sean and margie)
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

i am quite dissapointed that Margie had no screen time at the end... to say farewll to Idy and Tony.... i mean she WAS one of their best friends
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Quote Originally Posted by cherrie
    ah yes, i do remember the ending. somehow i can recall now some of lawrence ng's evil performance here. i've always wondered though why it's called grand canal. is it because yang kuang built those extravagant yachts and opened several canals?
    Yes the name of the series is named after the actual grand canal that is built during the Sui dynasty (the one that the Tang overthrow) by Yang Guang (Lawrence's character). There we alot of smaller sections of the canal existing during that time but the project undertaken is to connect all of them into one canal

Quote Originally Posted by TrinketWei
    When Li Shi Min bid farewell to Zhang San Lang(Tony's character), he formally addressed ZSL as an emperor of another kingdom. Li Jing was shocked because the pouch contained the Seal Emblem of ZSL's kingdom.

The Grand Canal was the first series I had watched and still ranks as one of my all time favorites. For those who have watched the DVD release, did TVB retain the original 60+ chapters or did they edit out some scenes?
    They cut our 2 full episodes. The DVD set only contains 58. So as you watch a long, the editing gets weirder and weirder. Once again TVB has messed up. When will they stop. What pissed me off was that the last episode only had 30mins and it ends abruptly. TVB get ur act together.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    i am quite dissapointed that Margie had no screen time at the end... to say farewll to Idy and Tony.... i mean she WAS one of their best friends
    I think the reason why Margie Tsang's character aka Empress Wende (historically) didn't show up to bid farewell to Idy and Tony at the end, ten years after, was because either she's too sick, or even died by that time. Historically, Empress Wende died ten years after Li Shimin aka Sean Lau's character ascended the throne due to illness. And then a few years later Li Shimin also died. Moreover, Empress Wende was the most beloved wife of Li Shimin, and after her death a magnificant tomb was built, though it wasn't sealed before Li Shimin was passed away as well. They're buried together.

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n
    i must agree with you...i was cursing the scriptwriters for not giving sean and margie more screen time together...here we have this great prince who was head over heels in love with the darling mischievous brat...i was jumping for joy when margie realized that she had fallen for sean (who truly and surely deserve her love)...very well done despite the little time given to them compared to tony and idy (who was also really cute but gotta give the edge to sean and margie)
    Indeed, Sean Lau's character and Margie's character was the cutest couple in the drama. I adore all their moments together, especially when they fight as Sean' s character is always the one who gives in no matter what.

And even though I love this serie, but I don't want it to be remake starring new artists at this time, since I don't believe they'll ever match the original version. This is a great CLASSIC, thus let it remains one for the time being. Well, actually, if it has to be remake, I prefer the team and director behind CCTV's Xiao Ao Jiang Hu 2001, CCTV's Demi Gods and Semi Devils 2003, and CCTV's Return of Condor Heros 2006 to make it, as I'm a big fan of this team's works.

Yeah I also love the pairing of Sean Lau and Margie Tsang. They're so very cute together. The scene when he came to apologize (eventhough it's not his fault) was the start of their relationship:

Sean: I'm sorry
    Margie: Why do you apologize when it's not your fault?
    Sean: Because I'm afraid that you'll be angry at me.
    Margie: Why are you so nice to me?
    Sean: I don't know why myself. Whenever something involve you, I'm always very anxious.

Scene when Margie wanted to be with Sean in the battlefield but Sean repeatedly asked her to go back:

Sean: I'm a very proud man. If someday I get defeated and die in the battlefield, I don't ever want you to see me in that state.
    Margie (cut a lock of her hair): Please hold on to this lock of hair. Whenever you see it, it's like you see me. No... I don't want to leave you. If you are to die, I'll die together with you.
    Sean: Now that you say that, I can't possibly ask you to go back.

Wink

Sean Lau Ching Wan as Lee Sai Mun

Margie Tsang Wah Sin as Cheung Sin Mo Kau

Episode 41

Scene: Cheung Sin Mo Kau and her brother were visiting the Lee Mansion.

Lee Sai Mun: I intend to use the purpose of attending the wedding to pay a visit to Wei Ang to investigate this matter further.

Cheung Sin Mo Kau: I'll go, too.

Lee Yuen Pa: Me, too.

Lee Sai Mun: Mo Kau, I don't think you should go.

Cheung Sin Mo Kau: Why not?

Lee Sai Mun: I'm worried you'd cause trouble.

Cheung Sin Mo Kau: Then in your mind I always causing trouble and bothering you, right?

Cheung Sin Mo Kei: Mo Kau!

Lee Sai Mun: That's not what I meant.

Cheung Sin Mo Kau: If that's not what you meant, then what did you mean?

Lee Sai Mun: What I meant was that His Masjesty's mood is unpredictable, I'm worried that you being straightforward could cause trouble, and may result in some unpleasant consequences.

Cheung Sin Mo Kau: I know. You don't think of me as anything, and worry that I'd bother you, right? Okay, fine, from now on I won't see you anymore.

Cheung Sin Mo Kei: Mo Kau, don't be rude!

Lee Sai Mun (grabbed her arm to stop her from leaving): Don't be unreasonable!

(Cheung Sin Mo Kei broke her arm free from Lee Sai Mun's grip and tried to slap him with it, but he blocked the attack. She got angrier and left.)

Scene: Lee Sai Mun paid a visit to Cheung Sin Manor to apologize to Cheung Sin Mo Kau after their fight earlier that day.

Lee Sai Mun and Cheung Sin Mo Kau (both at the same time): I'm sorry.

Cheung Mo Kau: You're apolozing to me?

Lee Sai Mun: Yes. I'm here to apologize to you. What happened earlier today was due to my hot temper. Please, don't be angry at me.

Cheung Sin Mo Kau: This can't be.

Lee Sai Mun: I am apologizing to you, and you're saying this can't be?

Cheung Sin Mo Kau: What happened today was my fault. I was the one who made trouble, as well as tried to hit you. Thus why are you apologizing to me? Furthermore, you're a proud man, therefore why are you apologizing to me?

Lee Sai Mun: I'm worried you'd be angry.

Cheung Sin Mo Kau: Why are you so nice to me? My father and my brother would scold me at once whenever I loose my temper.

Lee Sai Mun: I don't want to see you upset.

Cheung Sin Mo Kau: I remember Princess Lan Ling once said that, if you like somebody and see that person happy, then you'll also be happy.

Lee Sai Mun: That's right. Princess Lan Ling was right.

Cheung Sin Mo Kau: Then this means...?

Lee Sai Mun: I also don't know why, but I get all anxious whenever it concerns you.

Cheung Sin Mo Kau: To tell the truth, I was also worried that you'd be angry with me.

Lee Sai Mun: Mo Kau, don't worry. From now on I won't do anything to upset you.

Cheung Sin Mo Kau: From now on I won't hit you again. But you have to be nice to me.

Lee Sai Mun: Am I not being nice enough now?

Cheung Sin Mo Kau: As well as obey me.

Lee Sai Mun: That depends on the matter. What if you tell me to kill my father, does that mean I have to do it, too?

Cheung Sin Mo Kau: I am not that unreasonable. Can you take me along with you to Wei Ang?

Lee Sai Mun: Let's see...

Cheung Sin Mo Kau: At the very least I won't cause trouble anymore.

Lee Sai Mun: All right.

Last edited by WindCross; 04-06-06 at 04:29 PM.

awwww. u guys know who many time i watched that scene?

Li Shi Min, one of the smartest person in the movie, is not afraid of anything.. but has a hard time dealing with her

Cool

Another amusing scene with them.

Episode 50

Scene: Lee Sai Mun with two of his attendants were on his way to Guangdo to investigate the Gathering of Rebellious Heros.

Cheung Sin Mo Kau: Why are you guys so slow? The Watch Post ahead is going to be closed soon. At this rate we'll be delayed yet another day before reaching Guangdo.

Lee Sai Mun: You're going to Guangdo, too?

Cheung Sin Mo Kau: Yes, that's right. I heard from my brother that you're going to Guangdo to investigate the Gathering of Rebellious Heros. It looks like a dangerous trip. If I am there to protect you, then you'll be much more saver.

Lee Sai Mun: You protect me?

(Lee Sai Mun with two of his attendants gave out a little chucle upon hearing this statement.)

Cheung Sin Mo Kau: What's the matter? Are my martial arts' skills that bad?

Lee Sai Mun: Well, it isn't that they're bad.

Cheung Sin Mo Kau: Then it's all right.

Lee Sai Mun: However, as you already know, we don't know wheather or not we'll survive this trip, don't you think it'd be saver for you stay behind?

Cheung Sin Mo Kau: What you're saying all along is that you're looking down on me, right? You're worried that I'd be defeated and then drag you down with me, isn't that right? Lee Sai Mun, what a waste of my effort to worry about you. Although knowing this trip would be dangerous, I didn't hesitate offering myself to come along with you, but you're being this way with me? Then just forget it.

(Cheung Sin Mo Kau turned to leave but Lee Sai Mun grabbed her arm and stop her.)

Lee Sai Mun: Wait, Mo Kau.

(Lee Sai Mun held on to her hand.)

Cheung Sin Mo Kau: If you don't let me go to Guangdo, I'll end things with you. Let go of my hand.

(Cheung Sin Mo Kau broke free of his grip, and walked away.)

Lee Sai Mun: Didn't you say the Watch Post is going to be closed soon?

(Cheung Sin Mo Kau stopped.)

Lee Sai Mun: If we don't leave now, we'll not arriving until tomorrow morning.

(Cheung turned around and came back to his side.)

Cheung Sai Mun: You're really going to let me come along with you?

Last edited by WindCross; 04-06-06 at 11:52 PM.

I saw this series on yesasia.com has 3 part and total to 58 eps. But at my video store has the same item but 2 part total 58 eps. box 1 has 7 dvd 26 eps, box 2 has 32 eps

hey windcross, thanks for the script...it brought memories to me and a wide smile on my face...they are such a cute couple and did perfectly in their respective roles.

as for CCTV, i enjoy the cinematography but i have issues with the casting decision for the leads especially since ROCH...so i'd rather not have it be remade. leave a masterpiece as is not butcher...plus, i'd be torn as i would want yang mi in the remake and i wouldn't know which role she should take on, idy's or margie's (and margie is my favorite character in the series for her steadfast loyalty and naivete followed closely by idy's intelligent princess role)...and of course, i would love to see ady take on either role as well...

sean and margie...what an awesome pair with such cute chemistry...i melt everytime sean gives in to margie.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Oh, those dialogues between Margie and Sean make me so happy! I just love this couple sooooo much in the series! Sean's character was truly a prince charming in this series. His intelligence makes him oh so attractive, but his devotion and love for Margie's character make him irresistible and very romantic!

Let's not forget about the memorable earlier scenes between these two, back in a time when Margie's character only has eyes for Tony's character.

Here's a scene which occurs when Sean comes back from a journey to the capitol to help out Lee Jing and his wife. He returns to find Margie running out to greet him.

Sean as Lee Sai Mun
    Margie as Cheung-Suen Mo Kau
    Tony as Cheung Sam Long

Two servants carry a large wooden box into the main room. Sai Mun steps into the room, holding a small wooden box protectively in his hands.

Suddenly, Mo Kau runs out from the inner chamber, a wide grin on her face. She heads straight toward Sai Mun.

"You're back!" She exclaims excitedly.

"You've stayed here all this time and didn't return home with your older brother?" Sai Mun asks with a sparkle of hope in his voice.

Mo Kau glances behind Sai Mun, hoping to see Cheung Sam Long. "Why are you the only one back? Brother Cheung didn't come back with you?"

A flicker of disappointment clouds Sai Mun's eyes, but he quickly masks his feelings.

Oblivious of Sai Mun's feelings, Mo Kau continues to ramble on. "I know! You're probably back first, and Brother Cheung will come soon, too, right?"

"Ah..no, he has some more business to take care of at the capitol and won't be back anytime soon." Sai Mun replies.

Crestfallen, Mo Kau lowers her eyes. "Oh..."

Trying to cheer her up, Sai Mun shows her the box he has been carrying around protectively. "Guess what this is!"

Turning away from him, Mo Kau starts to pout. "What's there to guess?" Frowning, she mutters to herself. "He (Cheung Sam Long) didn't even bother to tell me he wasn't coming back when he left."

"It's jewelry crafted by the capitol's most famous jewelers." Sai Mun speaks hurriedly, obviously wishing to please her badly. Opening the box, he presents her the jewelry piece, wanting her to be happy. "Look, the craftsmanship is exquisite."

But Mo Kau turns away, disinterested. Mumbling dejectedly, she pouts again. "He (Sam Long) didn't even tell me he wasn't coming back." Suddenly, her face brightens a bit. Turning hopefully toward Sai Mun, she asks. "Sai Mun, when you left the capitol, did he leave a message for you to bring to me?"

"Who's he?" Sai Mun asks.

"Why, Brother Cheung, of course." Mo Kau answers.

"No, he didn't have a message for you." Sai Mun replies, matter of factly.

Mo Kau's expression suddenly changes, her hopeful eyes dimmed. "You're lying!" She shouts at Sai Mun.

"No, I'm not. It's a fact he didn't leave a message for you. Why would I lie to you about this?" Sai Mun retorts.

"You're all mean, insensitive people!" Mo Kau accuses, using anger to hide her hurt and disappointment. In a burst of temper, she runs into the inner chamber, leaving Sai Mun to look down sadly at the jewelry box still held in his hands...

Quote Originally Posted by sakura1388
    let's revisit GC Intro theme, TVB changed the intro a little bit for the DVD version:

enjoy!
    Why can't they just keep the old intro. I can't stand the new editing and the new font in the titles. Keep everything the same. What made those intros so good was the weird editing and it made it feel 80s like. TVB does this with the VCDs too
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie
    Oh, those dialogues between Margie and Sean make me so happy! I just love this couple sooooo much in the series! Sean's character was truly a prince charming in this series. His intelligence makes him oh so attractive, but his devotion and love for Margie's character make him irresistible and very romantic!

Let's not forget about the memorable earlier scenes between these two, back in a time when Margie's character only has eyes for Tony's character.

Here's a scene which occurs when Sean comes back from a journey to the capitol to help out Lee Jing and his wife. He returns to find Margie running out to greet him.

Sean as Lee Sai Mun
    Margie as Cheung-Suen Mo Kau
    Tony as Cheung Sam Long

Two servants carry a large wooden box into the main room. Sai Mun steps into the room, holding a small wooden box protectively in his hands.

Suddenly, Mo Kau runs out from the inner chamber, a wide grin on her face. She heads straight toward Sai Mun.

"You're back!" She exclaims excitedly.

"You've stayed here all this time and didn't return home with your older brother?" Sai Mun asks with a sparkle of hope in his voice.

Mo Kau glances behind Sai Mun, hoping to see Cheung Sam Long. "Why are you the only one back? Brother Cheung didn't come back with you?"

A flicker of disappointment clouds Sai Mun's eyes, but he quickly masks his feelings.

Oblivious of Sai Mun's feelings, Mo Kau continues to ramble on. "I know! You're probably back first, and Brother Cheung will come soon, too, right?"

"Ah..no, he has some more business to take care of at the capitol and won't be back anytime soon." Sai Mun replies.

Crestfallen, Mo Kau lowers her eyes. "Oh..."

Trying to cheer her up, Sai Mun shows her the box he has been carrying around protectively. "Guess what this is!"

Turning away from him, Mo Kau starts to pout. "What's there to guess?" Frowning, she mutters to herself. "He (Cheung Sam Long) didn't even bother to tell me he wasn't coming back when he left."

"It's jewelry crafted by the capitol's most famous jewelers." Sai Mun speaks hurriedly, obviously wishing to please her badly. Opening the box, he presents her the jewelry piece, wanting her to be happy. "Look, the craftsmanship is exquisite."

But Mo Kau turns away, disinterested. Mumbling dejectedly, she pouts again. "He (Sam Long) didn't even tell me he wasn't coming back." Suddenly, her face brightens a bit. Turning hopefully toward Sai Mun, she asks. "Sai Mun, when you left the capitol, did he leave a message for you to bring to me?"

"Who's he?" Sai Mun asks.

"Why, Brother Cheung, of course." Mo Kau answers.

"No, he didn't have a message for you." Sai Mun replies, matter of factly.

Mo Kau's expression suddenly changes, her hopeful eyes dimmed. "You're lying!" She shouts at Sai Mun.

"No, I'm not. It's a fact he didn't leave a message for you. Why would I lie to you about this?" Sai Mun retorts.

"You're all mean, insensitive people!" Mo Kau accuses, using anger to hide her hurt and disappointment. In a burst of temper, she runs into the inner chamber, leaving Sai Mun to look down sadly at the jewelry box still held in his hands...
    awww, i love that scene too!

Default The Grand Canal

Anyone knows if The Grand Canal is available for rental in Malaysia? I've asked 2 shops but they don't have it yet.

Better still, anyone in Malaysia bought it and willing to rent? It's a bit too expensive to buy online. Thanks.

I don't it neither. Good Luck!

I love Grand Canal 84 of Idy Chan a lot. She acts very great.