Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Grand Canal 《大運河》 (1987)

Default loved the series

I just finished watching this series and I loved it. Even though I fastforwarded a lot of scenes because of time. I will definitely rewatch this series thorougly when I have time. I love Idy and Tony as a couple and I definitely agree with some of you guys that they should have a character that is interested in Idy so Tony can get jealous. I feel sorry for Idy's character because she constantly gets beaten.

Smile

For all those Sean and Margie fans like myself, I found a website with some screen captures of them in Grand Canal and Dragon Sword.

Kayee's Television

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie
    For all those Sean and Margie fans like myself, I found a website with some screen captures of them in Grand Canal and Dragon Sword.

Kayee's Television

Thanks for the link! I remember rewatching Grand Canal because of them

I remember this movie. It's a good movie and worth of seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by puckle84
    I just finished watching this series and I loved it. Even though I fastforwarded a lot of scenes because of time. I will definitely rewatch this series thorougly when I have time.
    You fast forwarded through the series?! It was just too interesting for me to skip anything until the 41st eps... we were constantly on our chair but we didn't have the 5th disc (41-50) and when we finally do, we decided it coulda been truncated.
    this is one of the few series i watched in my childhood, rewatched, and still find it as great as the first time. there are many that lost their effect on me as i grow older but GC isn't one of them.
    i fell in love with liu kai chi in his role as the crown prince... i cried heeps and usually ancient series don't evoke that kind of emotions from me.
    [edit] this is also the series that got me to not like Lawrence Ng because of his character as Yang Guang. it was such a deep impression that him playing as a protagonist has never done well for me. w/ that said, Lawrence was brilliant as a villian.

Felix played a bad character in this series, that why he got killed?
    ''It is not so important to know everything as to appreciate what we learn.''

Default slight off here but...

what happened in the ending.... sorry, i didnt finish watching it and i am clueless about the ending... like how tony ended up somewhere while idy reunited with him... the last thing i remembered was tony stabbed idy when all accused her of killing someone's wife... the other couple, jimmy and his wife, he thought she is having an affair with tony right? so how this story conclude about? i know there was a conspiration but everythng was in confusion when i didnt catch up later...

hehe... will the be someone kind to explain? thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by puckle84
    I just finished watching this series and I loved it. Even though I fastforwarded a lot of scenes because of time. I will definitely rewatch this series thorougly when I have time. I love Idy and Tony as a couple and I definitely agree with some of you guys that they should have a character that is interested in Idy so Tony can get jealous. I feel sorry for Idy's character because she constantly gets beaten.
    Puckle,

any chance you are Puck from Idy Chan forum?

Quote Originally Posted by sheraldine
    what happened in the ending.... sorry, i didnt finish watching it and i am clueless about the ending... like how tony ended up somewhere while idy reunited with him... the last thing i remembered was tony stabbed idy when all accused her of killing someone's wife... the other couple, jimmy and his wife, he thought she is having an affair with tony right? so how this story conclude about? i know there was a conspiration but everythng was in confusion when i didnt catch up later...

hehe... will the be someone kind to explain? thanks!
    Sheraldine, name sounds familiar. Did you use to post at cinple.net/winglin.net?

Anyhow, to answer the question.

Tony and Idy ended up together. Tony became king of another country (small one).

Jimmy and Alice made up. Jimmy pretended to think so. He wanted to find out who was the real villain. Jimmy went undercover (it was very convincing) and became a bad guy. He found out Felix Wong's character was the true villain. He made up with Alice in the end. Jimmy fooled everyone including Tony.

Lawrence died, Felix died, Lawrence's lackey and his son died.

This is the ending. (I am only writing this cause I like the series. Keep in mind I kept the name of the actors and actresses rather than using their character names.)

Tony and Idy leave to another place. Sean becomes emperor. Jimmy becomes one of Sean's general (something like that).

Ten years pass away. (I think.)

Jimmy and Alice are at their home. They get news that someone is hear to see them. It is Tony and Idy. We learn they got married already. They all are happy.

Tony: You guys do not feed us, we are so hungry.

Alice asks Tony how come it took so long to come back. Tony does not give a direct answer. Jimmy asks Tony if he wants to see the emperor (Sean). Tony says no. Alice asks how come. Tony says "Back then already he was on the other side of becoming king, do you expect me to meet him and then kneel at his feet?" They say they just came back to see them and will leave tomorrow.

Alice and Jimmy goes to the kingdom and talk to Sean.

Sean asks how come Tony came back and for what reason. Jimmy and Alice say they don't know and Sean gets suspicious. Sean wants to see Tony one more time.

Very last scene on a hill.

Tony and Idy are about to leave. Tony says he has to leave right away, he can not see Sean. Jimmy asks how come. Tony gave him a bag with something in it.

Tony: When I leave, open this up and you will understand.

Alice: When will we see you again.

Tony: The world is big, we are on opposite sides, sworn sister, this is the last time we see each other.

(Alice gets dirt and put it in a bag and gives to Tony.)

Sean comes.

Tony was about to kneel, but Sean stopped him.

Tony: So you finally knew. (He knows something about Tony which I will explain later.)

Sean: I heard you did not want to see me.

Tony: I promise to you, from now on, I will never set foot on China anymore.

Sean: Please understand I am forced to, not that I want to.

(Sean and Tony are high rank men. Even though Sean knows Tony is not a person to come back to try and take over, he is after all the emperor and must be cautious.)

Tony: Of course I understand. My decision of leaving back then was correct, you are indeed an emperor of the ages.

Tony and Sean say goodbye. (Each of them doing hands to knuckles.)

Tony: Sworn brother, you can open the bag now.

Sean: I, Sean, king of China, send off you King of ___.

Jimmy opens the bag. He is holding a royal stamp.

Jimmy: King of ___ country?

Tony and Idy leave.

At the end before the credits roll, they have pictures of various characters drawn in black and white.
    Last edited by Felix; 10-27-06 at 01:53 AM.

Sheraldine, name sounds familiar. Did you use to post at cinple.net/winglin.net?

yes, i was active about 3-4 years ago... and thanks for the epilogue.... though still missing piece somewhere, nevertheless quite happy..... it seems not a very happy ending, somewhat solemn and boring....

Default Why TVB change the ending of "The Grand Canal"?

any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by VALENTINO
    any idea?

What do you mean? Which ending was changed? Do you mean Grand Canal 86? If so, what did they change?

In the end Tony Leung came back to Changan, and visit Li Jing

But Xing He changed it.

Tony did not came back.

Also, they removed all the war fighting scene which involved thousands of soldiers on the battlefield

In the end Tony Leung came back to Changan, and visit Li Jing

But Xing He changed it.

Tony did not came back.

Also, they removed all the war fighting scene which involved thousands of soldiers on the battlefield
    Are you talking about the DVD? If you are, yes they butchered it like no tomorrow.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

I was talking about TVB satellite channel "Xing He"

what?!!! is this '86 series? how could they possibly change the ending! it was such a great production, i think i saw it about 4 times growing up!

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120
    what?!!! is this '86 series? how could they possibly change the ending! it was such a great production, i think i saw it about 4 times growing up!
    I think it was more like they deleted some scenes at the end.

I am sure they DID NOT shoot a different scene, and put it in.

It is a different ending, because they got rid of the last part of the series.

they actually deleted some scene at the end

also they removed the great scene on the battlefield

they actually deleted some scene at the end

also they removed the great scene on the battlefield
    I assume you got the Chinese DVD version? If so, they cut a lot out of it. I think newer DVDs now Chinese version keep the whole thing.

does anyone happen to have the "making of" of the grand canal that they can upload? thanks!!