Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: mediacorp ah jie

Default mediacorp ah jie

over the years, i always have this question - do you think fann wong would be mediacorp ah jie if she has not been so proud during the first star award ceremony - the infamous sentence, something like that "now that i have won the best actress ...". even i think zoe tay has once commented that fann is more popular with all the adverts, overseas exposure etc etc.
    but still, in everyone's heart, zoe is still ah jie. or is it just an illusion?

Basically "Ah Jie" just refers to the most senior 'liao jiao' (old bird). If Fann came on to the scene earlier then Zoe, then the title of "ah jie" would go to her.

I dont think its a question of seniority. Xiang Yun is around longer than Zoe Tay but she is not the top ah jie of mediacrap.

Quote Originally Posted by beansprouts
    I dont think its a question of seniority. Xiang Yun is around longer than Zoe Tay but she is not the top ah jie of mediacrap.
    Ah jie is just name coined by the media , like the "four Heavenly" king ..

earlier HK singers like Alan Tam and Leslie cheung dun have the heavenly King name, but in fact they are just as popular , if not more so in their prime..

Xiang yun has been SBC's (medicrap) Ah jie for many many year, all but in name only.. Shes' the most well-knowed person in singpore then, save Lee Kuan yew..
    Too bad for her there's no star awards then..

Until Zoe comes up The only other person who would have been consider a Ah Jie is Zhen hui Fen..
    I believe she was the most popular actress together with Li Nanxing , back in the very first Star awards (when they have rankings)

I feel that Zoe is still the more Shi Zhi Ming Gui Ah Jie in mcs

who do you think will be the up and coming ah jie? jeanette, joanne peh, or ....

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    who do you think will be the up and coming ah jie? jeanette, joanne peh, or ....
    Maybe, but they''e still young.., and have a long way to go

If Zoe announce her retirement NOW, the first person comes to mind is Ivy lee..

while acting by ivy has improved over the years, i think she has two disadvantages: her fan base is small and she is married, soon with three kids. hehe.
    the first person should be fann wong. but by the time zoe becomes "unpopular" so will be fann as basically they are in the same group.

i think jeanette stands the best chance. joanne is popular but lacks exposure. vivian lai is versatile but lacks height. phyilis and jacelyn may have chance but will be overshadowed by fann. supposedly uprising stars like pris chan, yvonne, florence tan, have failed to cause a big impact.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuangRong
    If Zoe announce her retirement NOW, the first person comes to mind is Ivy lee..

Just look at the top 10 for both male and female , marriage and kids dun matter..

In the case of Ivy lee ,She actually became more popular after her marriage, though that concide with her improved acting and poise.

of the starlets , I'll said Joanne Peh has the most potential , Peh is very very "moldable" ..
    Jeanette's range is bit limited due to her very "Cute" voice..

good observation and analysis. in one interview, ivy attributed her improvement in acting to her marriage and child. she noted that before marriage, her mind is always on what went wrong in her previous acting. and as a result, when she acts, her mind is concerned about the past.
    with marriage and child, her concern has changed and hence her mind is centred on doing the present job well. she is less bothered with past. with a focused mind, she is better to perform better.
    let's hope that joanne will not end up like fiona. suddenly very popular, then down. hope that she will be given more exposure. hope that she will become as versatile as vivian.
    one thing i find it strange is that joanne is not very fair and yet she is a lux girl.

Just look at the top 10 for both male and female , marriage and kids dun matter..

In the case of Ivy lee ,She actually became more popular after her marriage, though that concide with her improved acting and poise.

of the starlets , I'll said Joanne Peh has the most potential , Peh is very very "moldable" ..
    Jeanette's range is bit limited due to her very "Cute" voice..

Jeanette may be the next Zoe Tay or Fann Wong, she's the most promoted actress by Mediacorp -.-

The other heavily promoted ones seem to be Fiona Xie and Joanne Peh. I don't know. Felicia Chin seems to be becoming one too.. Rui En as well.

can't really blame the starlets like Pris Chan and Yvonne Lim for not making the mark. They haven't really been given the chances to establish themselves unlike Jeanetter Aw whose obviously a fav of the establishment. As for the Ah Jie title, Fann Wong doesn't seem to have the big screen presence or maturity that would allow her to bear that title. In fact, none of the other stars do, not at the moment at least.

Yep, despite her popularity I can't imaging Fann wong as the Ah jie

she's too ditzy and tactless ...

Being able to handle the media and not malu in Big ocassion is a strength of Zoe few mediacrap actress has.

fann wong is in fact quite a lucky person. she has a few "good" people to help her around. one is david gan who "asked" her to attend zoe's wedding. others like chen liping who "used" to be not able to get along with her and comedians like mark lee. her "breaking" of contract with taiwanese company was left off by mediacorp. even zoe tay seems to be fine with her in recent years.

jeanette does have a limitation. i doubt she can play "baddie" or "gangster" type of actress. she seems to be casted in "cute" and "goodie" roles. she is not as versatile as vivian or fiona. but then, vivian is a bit short, fiona is weak in mandarin. maybe joanne peh could be the potential.
    Yep, despite her popularity I can't imaging Fann wong as the Ah jie
    she's too ditzy and tactless ...
    Being able to handle the media and not malu in Big ocassion is a strength of Zoe few mediacrap actress has.

To some, Fann's character may be her weak points, but alot of people like her because she is very real. She is always willing to say out what she thinks, not simply for the sake of being congenial or to the press.

Joanna Peh doesnt have the look for being an ah jie. But really, i dont see any of the newbies, or even the oldies(phyllis, jacelyn etc.) showing any potential to be the next ah jie

with the cross-over to mediacorp, kym ng can possibly be the likely contender.

I dont really think Kym can be the next ah jie. She seldoms appears in tv dramas and is not really that good in acting either. Her only exposure is doing variety shows, which I must say she is quite good at.

I think she was supposed to be the Ah Jie of Mediaworks... but I don't think it'll work out either. Not for Mediacorp's style.

looks like zoe will continue her reign.

Mebbe Kym could be the Ah Jie of Mediaworks in terms of experience but I dun think she has wat it takes to be an Ah Jie. Furthermore, she's not that much younger than Zoe so replacing Zoe with her isn't going to make much sense.