Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golden Globe Predictions

Default Golden Globe Predictions

Mine is here.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Er. Does anyone care?

Hm. Never mind.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Jim Carrey deserves it more than Jamie Foxx if it comes down to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliar Swiftfire
    Er. Does anyone care?

Hm. Never mind.
    I just want to tell you that I don't care about golden-coloured globes

Quote Originally Posted by Radken
    Jim Carrey deserves it more than Jamie Foxx if it comes down to it.
    Yeah, but Jim has already won twice for Truman Show and Man In The Moon (but he still haven't gotten a SINGLE Oscar nomination!!!)

So Jamie's more likely to win.
    Swifty, Writing

I like Depp in Finding Neverland... but I doubt he will win.

I think on Access Hollywood they say that Fox will win best actors, Benning will win best actress, and Sidway (never heard of this movie will win best pictures).
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

Quote Originally Posted by James Ko
    I like Depp in Finding Neverland... but I doubt he will win.
    Yeah! Yeah....Oh well, even if he doesn't win, I'm still rooting for him all the way!

I'm glad Kevin Spacey was nominated for a GG too, even if his chances of winning in this year's best actor in a musical or comedy category are slim to none.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

It's SIDEWAYS. Directed by Alexander Payne, he who brought us Election and About Schmidt.

And yes, if you've read my predictions, I'm heavily in favour of that movie, cos' it's sweeping all kinds of awards like Return of the King was doing last year.
    Swifty, Writing

Hmm sorry for spelling the name of the movie wrong I was wondering if anyone of you even heard of this movie Sideways or whatever it is called...

I mean I never even heard it showing at the local theatre. All I am hearing is that some critics thinks this is the best movie blah blah blah and then some folks trying to be "better then the average folks" and also claim it is to be so good but yet never even seen this movie before. (Now I have a feeling people either going out and trying to rent this movie or find spoiler on the web to verfy they saw this movie but whatever).

Just because the critics say is good doesn't mean it is I trust box office score then any critic any day.
    Flame on I am gone...

Yes, Box-Office means soooo much. Pearl Harbour made 200 million, it's an awesome movie. Wow, Star Wars Episode 2 made 300, maybe it's a classic too. Hey, looky looky, Titanic must be the greatest movie ever made since it's the top-grossing movie of all time.
    Swifty, Writing

I find it disappointing that Depp keeps receiving nominations, but he never walks away with an award.

But would someone be kind enough to inform on the difference between the Golden Globe and Oscars? And if also Emmy and Tony awards? I never knew the difference, although I know one is for music only?
    I'm an "angel on the battlefield of love." *laughs* How ironic...
    Alec's official site: www.suyoupeng.com
    Vicki's official site: www.zhaoweinetfamily.com
    AIM: swtsilverfaerie
    Yahoo: tinitinytina18
    MSN:[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyLilAngel
    I find it disappointing that Depp keeps receiving nominations, but he never walks away with an award.
    I agree, but I have great faith that his time will come.

But would someone be kind enough to inform on the difference between the Golden Globe and Oscars? And if also Emmy and Tony awards? I never knew the difference, although I know one is for music only?
    The Golden Globe Awards are much less formal than the Oscars. The prior are given by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association and the focus is on both the movie and television industries whereas the Oscars are headed by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and are centralized around, well, the motion picture industry.

Emmy awards are given to honor excellence in television and Tony awards are given to honor excellence in theatre work. Grammy awards are given for music.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Well, Depp's performance in Finding Neverland is very good, but not exactly mindblowing, so I wasn't surprised that he didn't win anything.
    Swifty, Writing

Yes, Box-Office means soooo much. Pearl Harbour made 200 million, it's an awesome movie. Wow, Star Wars Episode 2 made 300, maybe it's a classic too. Hey, looky looky, Titanic must be the greatest movie ever made since it's the top-grossing movie of all time.
    And gosh, despite the fact that Pearl Harbour got a roasting from the critics, it made 200 million dollars! I decide to torture my eyes and choose not to trust the critics but how much the movie made!

Look at Matrix Reloaded! It made the most movie among the three Matrix films, it must be the greatest Matrix movie of them all, yes, even though the critics bashed Matrix Reloaded, and loved the first Matrix, sicne Matrix Reloaded made more money, I'm SURE Matrix Reloaded is a great film. Yippee kay yay.
    Swifty, Writing

Well, Depp's performance in Finding Neverland is very good, but not exactly mindblowing, so I wasn't surprised that he didn't win anything.
    Too bad J.M. Barrie was not a mentally twisted or insane genius of some sort. Then perhaps Johnny would have had a better chance.

Was Leo's performance in "The Aviator" mindblowing? I haven't seen it yet, so I can't say.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

He has obsessive compulsive disorder in that film. Basically, Golden Globes (not the Oscars) love giving awards to such performances, so he got it. (Robin Williams got it for Fisher King, Russel Crowe got it for Beautiful Mind)
    Swifty, Writing

yeah me too. and it seems when he's there at the event...he doesnt win.( like the golden globes this yr and last yr...the oscars.) but when he's not there ( like the SAG awards last yr and the people's choice awards this yr..i kant remember last yr. hahaha.) but yeah....then he wins. and he gives his acceptance speech by satellite.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    Too bad J.M. Barrie was not a mentally twisted or insane genius of some sort. Then perhaps Johnny would have had a better chance.

Was Leo's performance in "The Aviator" mindblowing? I haven't seen it yet, so I can't say.
    yeah...i havent seen The AViator yet either. but seeing sum clips yesterday of him going crazy..i have to admit it was a pretty good performance. but i think that doesnt mean that johnny couldn't have pulled it off..its just that he didnt have that kind of part. lOL. i agree that he would have had a much better chance playing a crazy person.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    Yeah! Yeah....Oh well, even if he doesn't win, I'm still rooting for him all the way!
    same here. even though im kind of sad that he didnt win. loL. ruined my day yesterday. these awards ceremonies can make me so mad. hahahha. but either way...im still hoping that johnny can win an oscar and that finding neverland will win in the categories its nominated for also. you're a johnny fan arent u? lOL. cuz ive seen many of ur posts...i always see u on johnny's side. =D thats so kooL. hahahaha.

Tell that to all those who watch those movies multiple times... if they are not good to them why would people watch it multiple times to get the movie up on the box-office. I don't think the general public are stupid as you are suggesting.

By the way, Titantic is one of the greatest movie ever made. It won multiple awards and it made money. As Jason Alexander said, no matter what the wannable critics saids... the box office is the best way fans show their support of the movie. Nobody pay to see a bad movie more then once. Just because you disapprove it doesn't mean it is a bad movie.
    Flame on I am gone...

Popularity and quality are two separate things. If everything is considered good based on its box-office results, then the best movies, in your eyes, are every single large-budget Hollywood movie with massive marketing campaign behind them (yes, ever occurred to you that there are OTHER factors besides the quality of the movie that resulted in its successful box-office results?)

Whoa, Tomb Raider made 100+ million, GREAT movie, huh?

Some movie companies have the cash for massive promotion and nationwide releases, thus resulting in large weekend revenues. While some great movies could only have a limited release and smaller marketing campaign, thus smaller revenues.

Mission Impossible 2 made twice as much money as Jerry Maguire, maybe it is two times better than Jerry Maguire. Hell, it's Tom Cruise's personal top-grossing movie, maybe it's actually Tom Cruise's best movie to date!

Shrek 2 is the 3rd top-grossing movie of all-time, because of this, it must be the greatest animated film EVER made. Troy and Van Helsing made more than 100 million, gosh, maybe instead of star power that drew people to watch it, I think it had to do with the films' qualities.

Some movies are just more accessible for the masses, so an entire family can go see it, that doesn't make those the GREATEST movies ever made. A balance always have to be struck between critical and commercial appeal. An Eddie Murphy kiddie movie can make hundreds of million, but that does not make it the greatest either.
    Last edited by Eliar Swiftfire; 01-17-05 at 09:34 PM.
    Swifty, Writing

I could name many film classics who did horribly in the box-office during its initial release but slowly became more appreciated by people as years gone by. But judging by your logic, because circumstances caused them to fail in the box-office, I'm sure these movies wouldn't be classic in your eyes. Maybe Martin Scorsese's just a talentless hack, because throughout his entire career, NONE of his movies have actually made more than 100 million, so Raging Bull, Goodfellas, Taxi Driver must all be trash.
    Last edited by Eliar Swiftfire; 01-17-05 at 09:36 PM.
    Swifty, Writing