Thread: Ancient Series Dynasties

Default Ancient Series Dynasties

Can you usually tell which dynasty they usually refer to/base on in any ancient TVB series?

I find it very hard to apart from obvious Qing dynasty clothes and hairstyle. Pre Qing dynasties are hard to tell in TVB productions unless there are dead giveaways or specifically says so/refers to in the series, say of certain events or things.

Senior Member KennyLeeJianSiong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by harhar
    Can you usually tell which dynasty they usually refer to/base on in any ancient TVB series?

I find it very hard to apart from obvious Qing dynasty clothes and hairstyle. Pre Qing dynasties are hard to tell in TVB productions unless there are dead giveaways or specifically says so/refers to in the series, say of certain events or things.
    lots of it based on Tang Dynasty.

Twin of Brothers
    Lady Fan
    Whatever It Takes
    Yang Gui Fei (this one is obvious)

can't remember the rest.
    Sam and Zoe are FOREVER and EVER!
    Please visit :Codename : Dreams|| Get TVB Theme songs here & here

Quote Originally Posted by KennyLeeJianSiong
    lots of it based on Tang Dynasty.

Twin of Brothers
    Lady Fan
    Whatever It Takes
    Yang Gui Fei (this one is obvious)

can't remember the rest.
    I remember an anicent serial with Joe Ma and Jessica Hsuan based on the Yuan dynasty I think.

that's eternal happiness. tvb seldom do any series during the yuan dynasty.
    more often than not, they do series during the song dynasty. justice pao (that's pretty obvious) and some other more that i can't remember
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

Perish In The Name Of Love was set in the late Ming dynasty.

Riches & Stitches set in both the end of the Qing dynasty and the early 20th century.

A Step into the Past was set in the Warring States era prior to the Qin dynasty.
    玉木宏

blog

Now I think is a little easier to differentiate the dynasties in TVB series more so than in the 80s because they actually spend time to research and money to make new clothing for the different dynasties in different shows. I remember in the 80s, viewers would see same clothing worn in different shows.

Also, they spend time to research the different hairstyles appropriate for each dynasties.

Most obvious to differentiate is the Ching dynasty where all guys are shaved and have long braids and girls hair are shorter and clothing less layers. Such as Master Wong Fei Hung.

Yuan dynasty is easier to tell by the men's hair b/c they're also braided but short . Such as Joe Ma in Eternal Love.

The other dynasties are harder to identify unless stated in the show.

In new TVB series, u can identify the Dynasty based on clothes, hairstyle and sometimes the setting (i.e. furniture, writing material etc). But in old TVB from in the early 90s and before, u can only identify the series if it is explicitly mentioned or if you recognized some historical events or people that happened/appeared in the series.

what if the series is during the transition....like the end if Qing dynasty with some modern characteristics ...example like A case of misadvanture, good against evil?
    are they considered as ancient or modern series?

i call those times 'min chu'
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

i cannot tell which dynasty it is just by looking at the clothing and everything, but watching the series might help.

i don noe how to see leh!! but my brother noes... wat qing dynasty or tang dynasty!!!!
    My idol: Jay Chou, JJ Lin, Junyang, Jae Hee, Julian Cheung, Jimmy Lin, Mike He, Kingone Wang, Raymond Lam, Tank, Hyun Bin.

i think looking at the actors' hairstyles can roughly know which dynasty...

I can usually tell, most obvious is Qing dynasty, no doubt since it's a whole new et hnic taking over the country, everything from clothings to hairstyles are different than previous empires. Qin dynasty and Warring States era are easy to ID too, especially with the men--the crooked hair bun and armor. Tang dynasty is another obvious one. Women of the Tang dynasty show off their chest, and they're usually more well dressed than other dynasties because it is supposedly the most prosperous dynasty. Ming dynasty is similar to Han dynasty if not the same. Yuan dynasty have its unique style as well. As for other short-lived dynasties in betweens they're hard to tell.
    On October 25...
    Go back in time to the Chu-Han War

Arrow

Do you guys realized that whatever dynasty the story is all about, the setting and scenery of the palace still looks the same? IMO, there's no difference. Be it in the Tang, Ming or the Qing dynasty. I mean, different dynasty will definitely adopt different living styles. That's just my observation.

Anyway, I'm non-chinese but when I started watching TVB's ancient stories, it has made me more interested in knowing more about chinese history. And truthfully, I'm impressed, China is really rich in its history!

By the way, i was wondering something about the Qing dynasty...the men's hair....they are braided but were they supposed to shave the front bit, like what is shown in HZGG...I saw some stories potraying the Qing dynasty but the men don't shave the front part.....dunno which is correct. Anybody knows?

Quote Originally Posted by iezkiub

By the way, i was wondering something about the Qing dynasty...the men's hair....they are braided but were they supposed to shave the front bit, like what is shown in HZGG...I saw some stories potraying the Qing dynasty but the men don't shave the front part.....dunno which is correct. Anybody knows?
    The correct one is the shaved head. The ones that dont' shave their heads is because the actor's choice not to shave their head. But really the authentic look is the shaved one. I heard one of the reasons why Alec Su didn't want to act in HZGG3 is because he did not want to shave his head again for the part.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

huh? but they only use bald wigs right?
    cherrie

A big hint is how the emperor dresses. If it has that tall hat with beads in front of the face, and the robes has wide sleeves, and a wrap around (skirt-like) piece for the bottom, wrapped with a thick belt.... it is usually Tang and pre-Tang (i.e Qin, warring states). Eg. Raymond in ASTIP, Adam in TCS, Moses in WTLB.

If the emperor is wearing a tall hat with a see-through bit, has a one piece robe with narrow/medium width sleeves, and a thin belt, then it is from late Tang to Ming (except for Yuan). If the emperor has let his hair down, then it is either Song or Ming. (The emperor in Bladeheart, Eddie in Love is beautiful) If the emperor has his hair in a bun, and his hat covers it, then it is usually Late Tang. (Kwong Wah

The Qing one is obvious. Fluffy red thing on top of the hat, one piece robes with big shoulder bits, and the emperor has a long braid.

Another hint is the royal ladies. If they have this simple one piece wrap around dress (like Eileen in ASTIP when she was still hostage in Zhao), then it is warring states, Qin, Han, three kingdoms or Jin.

If they wear low cut dresses, normally with the waist band hitched right underneath the breasts, then it is Tang. They usually have an outer robe as well. (e.g Liu Xiao Qing in Empress Wu, Anne in Lady Yang)

If it is a up to the neck dress, wrapped around by a low cut outer dress, then it could be Ming. (Jan in PITNOL)

Qing is very obvious. THe Manchu headress and the clogs are giveaways. As fro the Han girls, they usually have a braid at the back, up to the neck collars wit the top shirt going to the kness or lower thighs, and trousers or skirt underneath. (e.g HZGG)

For the normal guys, pre Tang and Tang would be hair in a bun with no hair let loose underneath. Hair in a bun but with hair hanging underneath would be Song or Ming. The guys with tall hats and a one piece robe (e.g Nick and Gordon in that Tong Bak Fu series) means Ming. Qing is the braid.

I mean, the story should tell you what dynasty it is set in, You seldom have to guess by the costumes. However, you can only guess by the costumes if they are accurate, and now by what I have seen by TVB standards, there can be big muck-ups in costume. So why not just go and read the synopsis?
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by harhar
    I remember an anicent serial with Joe Ma and Jessica Hsuan based on the Yuan dynasty I think.
    series your talking about is Lady Fan, its based in Tang
    toomanysidesofme