Thread: Question about deleting threads

Default Question about deleting threads

No sure if this question has been asked or not...do some threads get deleted after they reach a certain number of pages? If so, how many pages would that be? Will the posters get a notice before the thread is closed down?

Thanks in advance.
    Nie Yuan's official site:
    http://www.nieyuan.net/?u=6381

English Forum:
    http://nieyuan.invisionplus.net

Threads get locked after reaching a certain number of pages. I think it depends on what kind of thread it is and/or moderator discretion. For instance, actor threads get locked after they reach 50 pages and actress threads after 40 pages (or whenever a mod notices that they've reached or passed the limit). Are you worried about the Nie Yuan thread? It still has a long way to go. Usually, a mod just makes a post in it that says the limit has been reached and locks it up, but you're free to start a new thread on that subject. Locked threads are usually not deleted immediately, so if you want to keep it around for reference or something after it has been locked, notifying a mod via PM wouldn't hurt.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks Lady Zhuge!
    No, I wasn't thinking about the Nie Yuan thread. It was just that I saw the latest Alec Su thread and read that it was their 10th thread so I got curious
    Thanks anyway!
    Nie Yuan's official site:
    http://www.nieyuan.net/?u=6381

English Forum:
    http://nieyuan.invisionplus.net

Goddess always email you to let you (the original poster of the thread) if it is okee to delete the thread. I found that very nice of her to do that instead of deleting it without letting you know.

Kudo to Goddess for job well done
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...ewpost&t=11203

There are some of us that wants to understand more about the logic behind closing down a certain active thread and then deleting the thread from the forum. The first MDWAV 1-3 thread was deleted unfortunately and to my dismay we didn't get to save the topics/points in there beforehand.

I checked the Announcements page but couldn't find DELETE note from moderator either..So, is this thread missing?

Now moving into our third MDWAV 1-3 thread, I am concerned. Can we have somebody shed light on this issue? You may go to the link above to find some of us questioning this. I've also PM the moderator of ATV Series but have yet to hear back from him/her.

The ownership of the thread is imo not only the thread starter but all of us that participated in the discussions. Will Thread Two have the same fate? Is this inevitable? IF it is not, I'll hope to see discussions remain because it is not viable either to save 50 pages of discussions each time.

1) How will it effect the forum if still active long threads are not closed?
    2) How will it affect the forum if still active long threads are closed prematurely AND not deleted from the forum?
    3) Is it possible to bring back deleted threads?

ATV series forum doesn't get as many hits as others. Does it really hurt to have one heavyweight thread? I am presenting this scenario hoping to get some explanation and hopefully a solution.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ginnie; 02-21-05 at 12:15 PM.

In the old days, when we only had about 500 MG of space total for the site + forum, space was a constant issue so there was a rule established that threads longer than 50 pages long are closed so that when we prune/delete posts older than 1-3 months every month, we could clear off some space. This maintenance rule is still maintained by moderators so that the forum will not grow too large even though we have a lot more space now.

The confusion probably exists because threads are deleted less constantly now, so that locked down 50+ post threads are not deleted as often as they used to but they will be eventually deleted (they are not recoverable once deleted unless I grab it from our backup files but that is usually a huge hassle so I would not do it 99% of the time for one thread lost).

I do see that threads could be locked down later, especially if it is an active discussion now that space is less of a concern--though this rule might still exist for threads in the Actors/Actresses forum where they mainly consist of image links. I will get back to members regarding this after some thought and discussion with the mods.
    -SC

Quote Originally Posted by spcnet
    In the old days, when we only had about 500 MG of space total for the site + forum, space was a constant issue so there was a rule established that threads longer than 50 pages long are closed so that when we prune/delete posts older than 1-3 months every month, we could clear off some space. This maintenance rule is still maintained by moderators so that the forum will not grow too large even though we have a lot more space now.

The confusion probably exists because threads are deleted less constantly now, so that locked down 50+ post threads are not deleted as often as they used to but they will be eventually deleted (they are not recoverable once deleted unless I grab it from our backup files but that is usually a huge hassle so I would not do it 99% of the time for one thread lost).

I do see that threads could be locked down later, especially if it is an active discussion now that space is less of a concern--though this rule might still exist for threads in the Actors/Actresses forum where they mainly consist of image links. I will get back to members regarding this after some thought and discussion with the mods.
    Hi, thanks for the answers. Is there some other ways to find out the amount of MB used by each forum? Or some kind of measurement where the entire whole of the forum section be examined such as threads/forum, posts/forum? Knowing that ATV series is not a hugely popular forum in here, I still hope there's a chance to bring back MDWAV 1-3 1 thread and not delete the MDWAV 1-3 II and III threads as well. After all, it is not the biggest contributor to space/bandwidth and more importantly it is NOT a dead topic now..Please delete it only after the moderator sees that it is not active and nobody is interested in the series anymore. MDWAV III just came out end of 2004 and there are some countries still broadcasting this series too. It just doesn't make sense to delete something so recent either. I hope that we have more flexibility and consider other criterias before closing and/or deleting a thread solely because it reached page 51.

Thanks for reading and giving it a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by ginnie
    Hi, thanks for the answers. Is there some other ways to find out the amount of MB used by each forum? Or some kind of measurement where the entire whole of the forum section be examined such as threads/forum, posts/forum? Knowing that ATV series is not a hugely popular forum in here, I still hope there's a chance to bring back MDWAV 1-3 1 thread and not delete the MDWAV 1-3 II and III threads as well. After all, it is not the biggest contributor to space/bandwidth and more importantly it is NOT a dead topic now..Please delete it only after the moderator sees that it is not active and nobody is interested in the series anymore. MDWAV III just came out end of 2004 and there are some countries still broadcasting this series too. It just doesn't make sense to delete something so recent either. I hope that we have more flexibility and consider other criterias before closing and/or deleting a thread solely because it reached page 51.

Thanks for reading and giving it a chance.
    I second that. There are so many posts in the MDWAV old threads that can be used for reference for the new thread. I only started watching the series after the 1st MDWAV thread was closed, and I still read that closed thread for reference while doing my discussion in the 2nd MDWAV thread.

After some thought and input from mods regarding how often threads are affected by this 50-post lockdown rule, it has been decided that this rule will be lifted until/unless it becomes a space problem. The one exception will be at the Actor and Actresses forum for threads that constitute mostly of picture posting.

Old threads that have been inactive for over 3 months will still be purged from our forum though.
    -SC

I used to live up north but then it got freezing so i flew all the way down south..now it is boiling

After some thought and input from mods regarding how often threads are affected by this 50-post lockdown rule, it has been decided that this rule will be lifted until/unless it becomes a space problem. The one exception will be at the Actor and Actresses forum for threads that constitute mostly of picture posting.

Old threads that have been inactive for over 3 months will still be purged from our forum though.
    just to let u know...if there are alot of posts and pages...it gets kind of annoying...like the members list...

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/memberlist.php?

how the page 1 to 288 and the numbers 1-288.....very long....very annoying....
    meePiT

Thanks for the implementation.