Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Michael Miu Kiu Wai

Senior Member shanghai girls are hot's Avatar

miu kiu wai is the best yeung hong

he has charm, even though he is evil, you still feel sympathy for him at the end

that part where hes dying is very sad

Quote Originally Posted by XiaoYu
    I've only ever seen Miu (Miao?) as Yang Kang in Condor Heroes...but wow, what a performance! He's the best bad guy I've ever seen; so dashing but terrible at the same time. If people say this is his most moving performance, I have to say I can understand why. I was really young when I was watching Condor Heroes at the time, but I still almost cried at what happened to Yang Kang. The fact that he's capable of being so cruel, yet still remains human with love and longings, makes him my fav character other than Rong Er in Condor Heroes, and my fav "villain" of all time

I'll have to check out some of his other series; I'd love to see more of him.
    yep yep! i so agree. he does give a lot of human qualities to this character. u can sort of see his expression when his actual father died. everyone keep saying how evil he was for letting his father get killed by his other father. but the truth was this guy hated him to begin with. he never knew the guy. the only father he ever new was the one that took care of him and his mother. the guy seemed to love him so if he were to betray the other guy for a man that he never knew, then i would call him heartless. back to the expression. . .we can tell that he never meant for his father to get killed. he looked sad when it happened too. u can see that he just want his parents to go away and be happy together. it seems like no one understood him. . .not even mok nim chi.

my fav scene was when he returned to the old house where mok nim chi saved him. he kept seeing her but she wasnt there. that was such a sweet scene cuz it showed that he actually fell in love with her. all the scenes prior just seem like he was playing around with her.
    Some of us needs to learn how to get our priorities straight and others need to start getting some priorities. . .

I agree- Miu was the best Yeung Hong. I must have watched the scenes where he meets Mok Nim Chi, the scenes where she saves him, the marriage scenes and his death scene at least 8 times over the years.

I can't wait to see him in the new detective series he's in.

Quote Originally Posted by cbale456
    Wow, I agree with everything you wrote. Gwok Jing may be the main male character, but I was captivated by Yang Kang the whole time for the many reasons you listed. I hope nobody gets offended as this is my opinion, but I found and heard that many YHs from other adaptions had nowhere the effect on the audience that Miu's YH had. I saw the Gallen Lo YH and aside from the fact that he doesn't have the looks and charms, he was just too mean and too serious throughout and I had no sympathy whatsoever for him. But YH by Miu also had a playful and loving side as he joked around with his mother and flirted with Mok Nim Chi. He was good-looking and charming and though he was a villain and did many terrible things, I often could not get myself to hate him. Miu just did an exceptional job as YH as he was able to really make him believable and draw out the many complexities of YH as a real person.
    Miu Kiu Wai was one of the greatest actors in the 80s. He plays a lot of villians really good - you love them more than you hate them most of the time. Like in "Gwai Hak" aka The Hunter with Felix Wong, where Miu played a cowardly cab driver, turned bad to perfection... You actually weep for his character when he dies...

Miu's best performances in my mind was as Yeung Hong and as Chor Lau Heung... He beats Adam Cheng and others hands down for that role...
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Long
    Miu Kiu Wai was one of the greatest actors in the 80s. He plays a lot of villians really good - you love them more than you hate them most of the time. Like in "Gwai Hak" aka The Hunter with Felix Wong, where Miu played a cowardly cab driver, turned bad to perfection... You actually weep for his character when he dies...

Miu's best performances in my mind was as Yeung Hong and as Chor Lau Heung... He beats Adam Cheng and others hands down for that role...

yes yes! so far i havent seen anyone play the roles that miu kiu wai played better than he did. most people that try to actually make me dislike them for ruining the image that he gave the character!!

examples: richie ren as chor lau heung (i cant tell u how much a chor lau heung fan i was until i saw this. it was sooooooooo blah!!! it makes me sad that kids will learn to hate the character because the actor did such a horrible job performing the role.)
    Last edited by Cinnamon; 03-21-05 at 01:47 AM.
    Some of us needs to learn how to get our priorities straight and others need to start getting some priorities. . .

Miu Kiu Wai was one of the best looking actors in ancient costume- really dashing. I think both him and Adam Cheng were the ultimate in playing suave ancient costume roles.

Quote Originally Posted by bonniec1
    Miu Kiu Wai was one of the best looking actors in ancient costume- really dashing. I think both him and Adam Cheng were the ultimate in playing suave ancient costume roles.
    Agreed. The 2 of them were the rare HK actors who had that distinct charisma and on-screen presence.

BTW, I stopped watching after YH died too. I just fast forwarded to the parts with MNC and his son YG. I mean I just had no interest in what would happen to Gwok Jing and the rest of them.

Default Music Video of Miu

Here's a great music video of Miu made by someone in another forum. It contains clips from various series and the song is sung by Anita Mui who btw Ah Miu actually dated for a while. It starts out really cute but just to warn you it ends kinda tragically.

Just follow this link (expires in 7 days or less): http://l1.yousendit.com/d.php?id=2YB...O3UOS964LRWSG4

If you guys like this, I can post some more music videos. Just let me know.
    Last edited by cbale456; 03-26-05 at 05:41 PM.

Miu Kiu Wai and Felix Wong were two of my favorite actors during the 80s.

Below are some of my reviews and summary of series were they worked together:

Young Heroes from Shaolin

http://lavender.fortunecity.com/stroheim/638/ying.html

Legend of the Condor Heroes, I, II, and III

http://lavender.fortunecity.com/stro...38/legend.html

The Foundation

http://lavender.fortunecity.com/stro...oundation.html

Sword Stained with Royal Blood

http://lavender.fortunecity.com/stroheim/638/sword.html

The Yang's Saga

http://lavender.fortunecity.com/stroheim/638/saga.html

http://www.geocities.com/ngobody/tears.html[/URL]

Speaking of yang's saga. I love the show but I think it should have spanned longer. Miu's character here was a bit bland. He is handsome and all (perfect for the role), but I keep hoping he would get more lines. In the beginning half, he had 3 lines or so. In the end, he had more but it still life something to be desired. oh well, it was still a very good show. Their costumes and cast were splendid.
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

had he ever dated Barbara Yung? They looked awefully cute together.

and was Ken Tong the reason Barbara committed suicide ? how did she die?
    i.am.2too.

Quote Originally Posted by TuToo

No, Miu never dated Barabra (but i agree, they look so good together). They are just good friends.

Seriously, I am not sure how Barbara died (I thnk it was gas), and the exact reason remains unknown, but I strongly suggest that Kent, or anyone else, is not to be blamed for it.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I like him as Lee Sai Man....also a pretty good Yang si Lang. His wife Qi Mei zhen is so pretty in the mongolia Princess costume in the Yang family saga.

if I remember correctly, she closed the windows and turned the gas on, I recall it was over a boyfriend.................

Looks like Miu is coming back to TVB to do a couple of series. I thought he just wanted to appear as a special guest for one series but now seems like he wants to get back in touch with 'acting' and it's for fun

I'd say out of the 5 Tigers, he is the most successful one in terms of happiness, business and a family.

As far as my memory serves me, I think Barbara was trying to 'set up' a fake suicidal scan towards her bf at the time, Kent Tong but it end up being tragic She didn't kill herself but rather wanting her bf to take notice.....

Quote Originally Posted by Versace
    Looks like Miu is coming back to TVB to do a couple of series. I thought he just wanted to appear as a special guest for one series but now seems like he wants to get back in touch with 'acting' and it's for fun

I'd say out of the 5 Tigers, he is the most successful one in terms of happiness, business and a family.

As far as my memory serves me, I think Barbara was trying to 'set up' a fake suicidal scan towards her bf at the time, Kent Tong but it end up being tragic She didn't kill herself but rather wanting her bf to take notice.....

That's so sad about Barbara. I think her career was at its peek too, right?

Anywho, I would like to see Miu in a recent wuxia series.
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

Default re

Have any of you had the chance to check out the music video? If you have time, please do check it out because someone very talented at another forum made it and it's really beautiful. I think I've played it at least 20 times because it's so moving. hehe. He/she also has this other MV that I really like and has played a number of times as well.

About Barbara, her death was indeed tragic. And yes she was at the peak of her career and was probably one of the most popular female tvb actresses back then. She and Miu starred as a couple in 4 series out of the mere 8 she filmed for tvb and the 2 of them won the award for best tvb couple. Too bad she died at such an early age as I'm sure had she been alive she and Miu would have had even more series filmed together.

It's bad to talk about people who are dead. But I read somewhere that the trouble between Barbara Yung, Miu Kiu Wai, and Kent Tong all began in the filming of "The Foundation" starring Felix, Barabara, Miu, and of course Kent...

Rumours had it that Barabra and Miu went on dates during the shooting of "Legend of the Condor Heroes", regardless of how friendly they might be, a man, any man, is going to get jealous never the less. Who wouldn't get jealous knowing that your girl is spending time with a handsome guy like Miu and what's worse, he's not gay!!

During the shooting of "The Foundation", it was noted that Kent Tong got increasingly jealous... and was said to have had a dummy spat at both Miu and Felix. That was shortly after a segment Miu and Felix did for K-100 to promote the show, which they decided not to include Kent... Apparently it was the to do with pushing weights and seeing who's the strongest out of Miu and Felix... Because Miu always flirted with Barabra on the set by flexing his muscles, so Kent wanted to beat Miu and embarress him in front of a TV audience. So Miu and Felix suggested that they not include Kent in that segment...

Anyway matters got worse when TVB decided to pair Miu with Barbara together in other shows after "The Foundation". Kent thus was said to have cheated on another girl (who was just a lowly supporting actress) to make Barbara jealous. But eventually Kent did fall for another woman. So Barabara wanted to do something to make Kent jealous and show the world how much Kent had hurrt her... Thus leading to her death... But it was said, that Barabara only did this as an 'act' and had never intended to die as a result... So it was sad... Thus Kent's acting career basically went down hill from there...

That's really sad about Barbara. I really loved her acting, and I've only ever watched the '83 Condor Heroes. That was enough to make me a fan though.

Someone mentioned that "The Foundation" is a good series to see more of Michael's acting...anyone know if it's still available anywhere...?

Quote Originally Posted by XiaoYu
    That's really sad about Barbara. I really loved her acting, and I've only ever watched the '83 Condor Heroes. That was enough to make me a fan though.

Someone mentioned that "The Foundation" is a good series to see more of Michael's acting...anyone know if it's still available anywhere...?
    Its out on VCDs. You can buy it from here:

But before you do check out my review:

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept...ection-videos/

The Foundation

http://lavender.fortunecity.com/str...foundation.html