Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What is the most hilarious TVB series you've ever watched?

Default What is the most hilarious TVB series you've ever watched?

...and what was so funny about it? Was it the characters that made it funny? Did the storyline just lend itself to humor?

The ones that I can remember are Better Halves and Shades Of Truth. Not only was the dialogue funny, the good acting only served to emphasize the humour involved. Really great, light dramas.

Examples...

Better Halves:
    When Moses and Maggie had to put on an act on the streets to test this one guy. It was hilarious cuz Moses's character was sooooooo wooden and pretty much just stood there and robotically vomited his lines out. Absolutely hilarious.

Shades Of Truth:
    So many! The one scene that sticks out in my mind is when Chilam goes over to Gigi's mother's place to help her fix things around the house. When Gigi comes home, Chilam comes out of the bathroom and he's pretty much wearing a huuuge garbage bag (it covers his head, his body, everything) cuz he was fixing a bursted tap. The wide-eyed expression Chilam had on his face, combined with his "costume" was really funny.
    I *heart*...
    [xy] Ron Ng, Moses Chan, Julian Cheung, Michael Tao, Kevin Cheng, Bosco Wong
    [xx] Tavia Yeung, Maggie Cheung, Flora Chan, Ada Choi, Kenix Kwok, Jessica Hsuan, Leila Tong

The most humorous and hilarious show in my opinion is 'Justice for Life' with Stephen Chow and Alex Man. Humor from the first minute.
    shin chan

not just a pretty face for me. roger was so funny!
    i luv c~H~a~R~m~A~i~N~e

I haven't seen many tvb shows, but i loved War of the Genders.

So far, 2 series that make me laughed so bad that my jaw hurts and tears from my eyes are:

1)Return of Wong Fei Hung with Dicky Cheung 1992. The funniest part is when he went to the city, a lot of modern things he had not seen before and he wonders what are they for. For example, Dicky, his wife and his best friend checked into a hotel, they had to take the elevator up to the room, but they all tot the elevator is their room. So they make themselves comfortable but the bell boy was standing with them. They asked themselves, how come the hotel rooms in the city had a guard watching you sleep and there is not proper bed just a square box?? Then they have not seen the modern toilet bowl, they tot it was a water dispenser. Too many to list....*LOL*

2) Ups & Downs In The Sea of Love. Maggie Cheung wanted to get even with Nick Cheung (her ex-husband). One day she & her friend sneak into his house, changed the toothpaste to wasabi and fast forward their time in their alarm clock. Nick came home drunk and slept but one hour later the alarm was on, he changed and went to work in the dark. He asked Joyce, why is it already 7am and the sky is still dark? Very hilarious.
    Last edited by bubcas; 02-15-05 at 08:58 PM.
    *A smile is contagious; be a carrier*

Duke of Mt Deer '84 (the version with Tony Leung only, the other ones are...blah)
    The story itself is wonderful, very intelligent, well written, and the dialogues alone just cracks me up. But, without the good acting of Tony Leung, the series wouldn't have been as successful. I find later versions with Dicky and Stephen Chow are not as good in comparision, maybe I like Tony's interpretation of the character more, but he made it seem so natural and effortless, and I did believe Tony is just like Wai Siu Po until I saw later works of his that proved otherwise.

Old Time Buddy
    Brilliant re-enactments of old style acting and hilariously teased. The series really brought back memories in a vivid way, seeing the kind of acting and movies they did back then, and making the connection with what you see aired in HK late night, it's so awesome. Very nostalgic at the same time comical.

Wong Fei Hung Returns
    The entire cast EXCLUDING Winnie Lau and Gigi Lai is brilliant!!! It's LOL funny. The dialogues are witty and clever, hard to see that nowadays in TVB series. The good acting add on to make it compelling to watch and laugh our heads off. Lam Yi Kei and Tseung Tsi Kwong aren't leading actors in the series but they are definitely scene-stealers. Gosh, especially Lam Yi Kei she just swipes it away from Gigi and Winnie, who gave poor performances imo.
    Last edited by mammamia; 02-15-05 at 09:01 PM.
    On October 25...
    Go back in time to the Chu-Han War

family man- moses' parts (do i need to say more?)
    better halves- steven ma acting gay, many many more parts!
    voh1&2- o gosh ling gong gong of course too many to mention!
    old time buddy- gallen's antics
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

reciple of the hearts... this series is full of guest appearance and very very funny
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

Matter of Business (ada choi, joe ma etc) HILARIOUS I absoulutely loved Ada and that guy she ended up with. Loved it so much i recorded it. Very funny.

Square Pegs - How roger called his father "bao bao" and stuff very cute and funny.

so many, cant list them all!!!

hmmm..

ups and downs in the sea of love: absolutely HILARIOUSSS!!!! the relationship between nick and maggie was such a laugh!!! one of fav shows...

family man: omgosh, the scene when moses had tissue paper all over his forehead. so funny, laughed so hard that my stomach hurt

not just a pretty face: "dog dog" was soooo funny! and roger's "go go go" was funny too! another one of my favs
    currently watching: None. Too busy to watch TV!

1) War of Genders - Dayo and Dodo are so funny in that. Esp. that part where they went to the "meditation/self-help center."

2) Better Halves - Steven Ma and Moses Chan were so funny and I agree, the parts where Steven Ma was trying to be great were excellent.

3) My Father's Son - Stephen Chow classic....he barely had much screen time but the scenes with him and Sandra Ng were good

4) Final Combat - I could never forget the pain I endure from laughing at Stephen Chow dressing up as a woman....and Ng Man Tat dressing femininely

Senior Member KennyLeeJianSiong's Avatar

I am tempted to say To Catch The Uncatchable, but.....because of the ending....nah....

Better Halves is one hilarious series....

so is Virtues Of Harmony II....

Virtues of Harmoney I...well.....that is hilarious too, but there were serious moments too......
    Sam and Zoe are FOREVER and EVER!
    Please visit :Codename : Dreams|| Get TVB Theme songs here & here

Ups & Downs In The Sea Of Love

One of the funniest series yet!! The slapping, the bickering, the lot!!

As Sure As Fate

The way Hacken was talking to people and when he does the 'woo' sound with his best mate

Not Just A Pretty Face

Very funny, the characters were very interesting and bonded with humour

Show Time Blues

When the characters were pretending to be someone that they are not!! Very good and hilarious!!

"war of gender" hands down.

i can't stop laughing when i think of the pet roach.. hahahhaa.
    69 is a nice number

definitely "Not jus a pretty face" that was hilarious. the quotes where so funy
    esp. "Go Go Go"
    Heroes :: raymond , bosco, ron, roger, johnny depp, ryan reynolds and ronald cheung

IDOLS :: jessica alba, tavia, myolie, miriam yeung, selena li, natalie tong and bernice

My Family: OMG TYhis show is absoulutly humor... I love it! I laugh until I get a tummy ache

Shades of Truth: When Julian comes out of a room in Gigis house and then hes covered with a plastic bag
    \\...<< ☆★ Bounded with Chains ★☆>>...// >><><< 鋼之鍊金術師 + 魔探偵口キ + 名偵探柯南 + スパ亻ラル + フルメタル パ二ツク! >>

Talking Chinese Titles

Thanks for all the great responses!

I'm sort of a newbie and I'm trying to find some of these to rent on ClubVCD.com and eHit.com, but I'm not having much luck.

1) Can someone help me with the Chinese names of the series you mentioned:

-Virtues of Harmony
    -Family Man
    -My Family
    -Ups & Downs in the Sea of Love
    -Shades of Truth
    -Return of Wong Fei Hung
    -Better Halves
    -Old Time Buddy
    -War of Genders
    -Not Just a Pretty Face for Me

2) Does anyone know of any other Asian movie rental sites?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

During the early 1980s, there was a sitcom on TVB loosely based on the famous American sitcom (and Neil Simon stage play) THE ODD COUPLE. It starred Adam Cheng (Siu Chou) and David Lo (Dai Wai). Adam and David were gambling buddies. Adam was a single man afraid of commitment (he had dated his girlfriend, Regina Tsang Hing Yu, for six years but everytime she hinted at marriage, he pretended to have a toothache and couldn't discuss the matter further because he had a dentist's appointment). David was a married man and a houseowner...a nice guy, but completely at the mercy of his wife, who throws him out of the house (forgot the reason). Adam was a typical single guy: messy apartment, couldn't cook or clean to save his life. David, who was afraid of his wife, did the cooking and cleaning at home and was great cook (he had won third place in an international cooking contest). After David gets kicked out of his house by his wife, he becomes Adam's roommate. On the one hand, Adam appreciates the fact that David can cook and clean. On the other hand, David's fussy cleanliness drives Adam nuts (and Adam's messiness frustrates David as well). The odd couple gets into numerous hilarious misadventures.

There was also a late 1970s sitcom series starring Chow Yun Fat and Simon Yam. Chow Yun Fat was Ah Lung, an automechanic and ne'er do well who lived in an apartment owned by Simon Yam's aunt. Ah Lung and Simon were good friends, but Ah Lung drove Simon's aunt nuts by never paying his rent on time (she'd nag him about it constantly in every episode) and by attracting all kinds of unsavory people to the apartment.

what's the title?
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)